The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: iron_felix on March 12, 2007, 04:03:18 am
-
I was going to revive this (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,262.0.html) thread to discuss this, but it appears to have been locked for some reason. I will start this new thread instead.
I had this dream a couple of nights ago. It wasn't about Achewood, it was all freaky shit like people crawling around sideways on walls and so forth, but towards the end I did dream about making a reference to something in Achewood. I was paraphrasing something Little Nephew said, where he was disparaging something/someone for being old-fashioned. It had something to do with being "from back when people ate watermelons." It was a little like this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02172004)
I borrow stuff from Achewood quite frequently, whether or not the company I'm with know what the hell I'm talking about, so I suppose it's not that weird to allude to a nonexistent strip in a dream. For some reason, though, I'm kind of surprised at myself. Has anyone else done this? It can't be that uncommon, can it?
It also occurred to me that I, personally, haven't eaten a watermelon in a very long time. Now I'm confused as to whether Little Nephew was making a valid cultural observation or whether it was all just so much nonsense from a dream. I can just picture a dude with a strawboater and a handlebar mustache, sitting on a checkered blanket eating a picnic of watermelons. All children running around in little sailor suits, all playing such as croquet afterwards....
So I also ask, has anyone eaten a watermelon as of late? Does it remain a common practice to do so? If so, is this considered a modern sort of thing to do, or is it a holdover from our agrarian past? Would one date oneself by recalling a prior meal of watermelon? Inquiring minds would like to know.
-
I am not fond of watermelon. Everyone says it is awesome but, to me, it tastes like... a chemical attempt at replicating a fruit flavour, not an actual fruit flavour. It's difficult to explain, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure I don't see people eating watermelon as much anymore, as well, but it may be an artifact of living in a largely Hispanic area and I don't believe watermelon is big in the Latin areas.
Could it be that watermelon has fallen out of favour because of its relationship with ancient stereotypes about African-Americans? I know that I have had black friends who feel uncomfortable ordering fried chicken in public for similar reasons.
-
Like my father, I personally am not fond of watermelon. I'll eat it, but there are other melons that I much prefer.
My daughter on the other hand, loves the stuff. Generally during the warmer months we have vats of watermelon chunks sitting around the premises. So yes, people do eat watermelon.
-
Honey dew is the money melon.
-
I'm allergic to them, which makes me really sad. Watermelon is effing delicious.
-
I'm glad to hear there are other civilized men who do not appreciate watermelon. I too do not appreciate watermelon. There are many humans who have wished me dead for this fact.
-
I apparently have only been exposed to some sort of tasteless variety of watermelon. Why anybody would breed such a thing I don't know but apparently there's a market for a flavor that can only be described as watered-down water.
-
Yeah, I've always found watermelons pretty bland. They're good at soaking up other, tastier fruit juices, though.
And also vodka.
-
I'm pretty sure I don't see people eating watermelon as much anymore, as well, but it may be an artifact of living in a largely Hispanic area and I don't believe watermelon is big in the Latin areas.
Are you sure? The only place I have ever had watermelon juice is at taco places in LA.
Oh also: seedless watermelons are tasteless.
-
Watermelon is good. My kids hell of love it.
-
I sort of go through phases where at one time I'm thinking "Ugh, why go to the effort for something so tasteless" to times where I go "Damn, I'd forgotten how good this is!". I suspect its the watermelon varying though, and not me.
I've had seedless watermelons, and for the most part they seem to fall on the lower-tastiness part of the spectrum. Usually, when I eat regular watermelon (if I'm inside) I just crush it against my palate with my tongue and swallow the seeds. If I'm outside I'll spit them out.
-
Hate it.
-
Love good ones, very rarely find them...
Tend thusly to get other melons instead.
-
We eat hella' watermelon around here, but locally is very seasonal. I totally chowed down on all sorts of insane fruit while in Indonesia, and even though it was nothing special, I did chow down on watermelon too, since it was nice and tasty there this winter.
I fondly remember a little more than a year ago when I found a place that sold those little volleyball sized seedless watermelons with a written guarantee that the melon would be juicy and flavourful. It was awesome. I prefer the large melons though - the kind where you eat a big slice and your whole face gets sloppy.
Also, I plan to grow watermelon this year. Hells yeah.
-
smells likes getting Sloppy with Large Melons, pass it on!
-
TOUAMB Girls Gone Wild!
-
TOUAMB Girls Gone Wild!
Who's the Joe Francis of TOUAMB GGW?
I think it would be cruel to say!
-
The only one I can think of that could use the content provided by the ladies of TOUAMB for his own profit is Jough.
"TOUAMBies gone wild! See the girls of TOUAMB most (emotionally) naked posts! Amateur N00b postings! Mature high post count ladies! Order now and get the Poetry Xers gone wild - bookish ladies who expose their hyperbole!"
-
I sort of go through phases where at one time I'm thinking "Ugh, why go to the effort for something so tasteless" to times where I go "Damn, I'd forgotten how good this is!". I suspect its the watermelon varying though, and not me.
Agreed. Many times watermelon is no big deal, but once in a while you eat one and you understand that you were put on earth to eat this watermelon, in this moment.
I like it when a group of friends is sitting in the sun, and they suddenly realize, almost simultaneously, that the correct thing to do is to get a watermelon and eat it. And then they get an enormous watermelon, and drive it to a lake where they plan to have a picnic, and they work together to lift the watermelon out of the car, and as they're carrying it across the parking lot it slips from their hands and shatters on the pavement. And then they pounce on it, en masse, like wolves on a caribou. They dig their hands into the broken watermelon carcass, digging out fistfuls of fruit and swallowing it, giddy with the certain knowledge that they are doing exactly what they should be doing, in that moment.
Technically, this has only happened to me once. But I like to assume it will happen again, one of these days.
-
you understand that you were put on earth to eat this watermelon, in this moment.
After an epigram this good you should not explain yourself any further. Still, you more than deserve a tiny can for this.
-
Man, I gotta stick up for cornbread AND watermelon now...
Watermelon is summer by a lake, when you spent all day barefoot and Exploring Things. You get a giant slice and spit the seeds wherever and who cares if you get all sticky because you're just jumping back in the lake again even though you're supposed to wait 30 minutes.
These days I don't get it often, because the really good watermelon comes from those giants that take both arms and there's no way I could ever eat that much. But it's still great ice-cold with a dash of salt.
-
Watermelon is summer by a lake, when you spent all day barefoot and Exploring Things.
Man, yeah, it makes sense now... this is why I don't like watermelon:
I never spent a summer day by a lake, barefoot and exploring things, without being pretty-much forced to. I didn't wanna go in a lake, man, there's giraffe in there, they could touch my foot and that would be ten hells of gross. Barefoot exploring things? Man, there's that effort thing again.
Summer for me was and is... if I'm gonna be outside, I'm gonna be in a chlorinated pool or at a baseball game and, otherwise, I'll be inside where it is not hot and bright, reading or listening to the radio or something.
I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.
-
I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.
My esteemed friend, you make your own destiny.
Go find a watermelon and a lake to sit beside this very summer. You won't regret it.
-
I like watermelon okay. It seems to me it tasted better when I was a child. Perhaps because of the Barefoot and Exploring Things phenomenon (do doo da doo doo... phenomenon). I adore cantaloupe however. With prosciutto and a bit of black pepper it's divine. Honeydew, like watermelon, I could take or leave. I will eat it if it's in front of me and I won't dislike it; but I won't go out of my way to seek it out to eat.
The essence of summer, for me, however, is cavaillon melon]http://www.melondecavaillon.com/]cavaillon melon (http://www.melondecavaillon.com/).
Bliss.
-
I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.
For real. Maybe one day they'll make a virtual-reality version of Watermelon by a Lake, but until then, shit, there are too many deals to be sealed, know what I'm sayin'?
P.S.: I ain't never been to Disney World, and I don't even want to go.
-
(do doo da doo doo... phenomenon)
Is that a theme song for the word "phenomenon"? I hope that all words have theme songs.
-
Mof is actually making a Muppet reference of solid intensity.
-
I like it when a group of friends is sitting in the sun, and they suddenly realize, almost simultaneously, that the correct thing to do is to get a watermelon and eat it. And then they get an enormous watermelon, and drive it to a lake where they plan to have a picnic, and they work together to lift the watermelon out of the car, and as they're carrying it across the parking lot it slips from their hands and shatters on the pavement. And then they pounce on it, en masse, like wolves on a caribou. They dig their hands into the broken watermelon carcass, digging out fistfuls of fruit and swallowing it, giddy with the certain knowledge that they are doing exactly what they should be doing, in that moment.
This happened to me once, except replace the watermelon with a huge picnic cooler full of red Kool-Aid, and replace the picnic with the wrap party for a summer-camp production of West Side Story, and replace the eating with lying in the Kool-Aid puddle and pretending to be dead gangsters as others take pictures. Nonetheless, it was exactly what we were meant to be doing that afternoon, and it was glorious.
Truth in Anecdoting: I was not actually a cast member in West Side Story. I was, instead, playing all the depressing-fat-girl parts in Spoon River Anthology, but both plays' casts hung out together to try and avert our basic angst about our situation. Also, when you are at art camp, you show up at every party possible, because free food is your friend.
-
Watermelon is the Shit.
We used to grow watermelons in our backyard, wonderful tasteful things full of juice and deliciousness.
Never Ever Ever buy a watermelon from a supermarket if you can help it, those cocksuckers freeze them in transit and a watermelon that has been frozen tastes goddamn awful and tends to be kind of bruised.
Unfortunately the only time I tend to eat it anymore is around christmas when we'll generally buy one because we know it will all get et.
RE: Muppets. I was really suprised when I found out that was the first sketch on the first muppet show, that's some pretty brave material to start out with even if the audience is kind of familiar with your characters.
-
Man, yeah, it makes sense now... this is why I don't like watermelon:
I never spent a summer day by a lake, barefoot and exploring things, without being pretty-much forced to. I didn't wanna go in a lake, man, there's giraffe in there, they could touch my foot and that would be ten hells of gross. Barefoot exploring things? Man, there's that effort thing again.
Summer for me was and is... if I'm gonna be outside, I'm gonna be in a chlorinated pool or at a baseball game and, otherwise, I'll be inside where it is not hot and bright, reading or listening to the radio or something.
I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.
Barefoot exploring is crazy! Did you learn that there are like worms and stuff that will burrow into your foot and lay eggs if you go outside barefoot? And we won't even discuss all the insects that are likely to be around a lake.
-
Hey, check out the new sig.
Also, this carved melon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/side_show/350856012/) was huge, but the colour of a cantaloupe. I wanted to bite it so bad.
-
My grandfather used to grow watermelons in Virginia. And when he would go out to harvest the watermelons certain people would come to the back of his truck and steal some melons and run away. He got seriously tired of losing melons to thievery so one day he had someone else drive the truck while he hid out in the back with the melons. And sure enough he saw a hand come out from the side and try to grab one his melons....
He cut the hand off with a meat cleaver.
-
good lord!
-
Holy shit.
My granddad (well, all four of my grandparents) was a horrible alcoholic. He also was a lawyer, and the firm owned a plane. Well, all of the other (people whose name is in the law firm) were alcoholics to, and one time the cut off one of the mechanics arms when they were trying to start the plane drunk. Stories like this and yours make me wish I was born 80 years earlier. Is that bad? I mean, I don't want to cut off peoples arms, but I want the chance to fly a plane drunk or cut off someones arm who is stealing my watermelons or drive a lawn mower to the liquor store when I am too drunk to drive without the police being involved.
-
And to think I was impressed with my grandad's amateur undertaking.
(Note that when I say "amateur undertaking" I am not referring to some unspecified pursuit he undertook on an amateur basis; I mean that he had the ashes of several friends and acquaintances in his garden shed.)
-
See pops cutting some guy's hand off for stealing a melon is definitely a thing. But I want to know what happened in the 10 minutes following
-
Hey, check out the new sig.
Sweet, I'm famous. I like to think that if you hadn't attributed it to me eventually I would have followed in the footsteps of Judy and Paul, innocently posting to ask why you were so into watermelons. That is a dream of mine.
-
I can just picture a dude with a strawboater and a handlebar mustache, sitting on a checkered blanket eating a picnic of watermelons.
I wasn't wearing a straw hat, but I had watermelon yesterday. It wasn't that great though because it's too early in the year.
-
My granddad (well, all four of my grandparents) was a horrible alcoholic.
This fact blindsided me.
I'm just fuck*ng with you - both of my parents and all three brothers are alcoholics/drug addicts.
-
The only one I can think of that could use the content provided by the ladies of TOUAMB for his own profit is Jough.
"TOUAMBies gone wild!
I was thinking the same thing as I went through the photos thread. Actually, I was thinking "Dang, we gots some fine lookin' chochachas* up in this piece!" But then the "TOUAMBers GONE WILD" thing came in a close second.
Also, I like watermelon, but I haven't had a decent one in years.
I bought a blender today, though, so I may get a wassermelon just to make some kind of watermelon smoothie.
* Feminine ending of chochachos