Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Back when people ate watermelons  (Read 5604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 11:30:53 pm »

TOUAMB Girls Gone Wild!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 11:57:42 pm »

TOUAMB Girls Gone Wild!

Who's the Joe Francis of TOUAMB GGW?
I think it would be cruel to say!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 01:01:18 am »

The only one I can think of that could use the content provided by the ladies of TOUAMB for his own profit is Jough. 

"TOUAMBies gone wild!  See the girls of TOUAMB most (emotionally) naked posts!  Amateur N00b postings!  Mature high post count ladies!  Order now and get the Poetry Xers gone wild - bookish ladies who expose their hyperbole!"
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 04:20:40 am »

I sort of go through phases where at one time I'm thinking "Ugh, why go to the effort for something so tasteless" to times where I go "Damn, I'd forgotten how good this is!".  I suspect its the watermelon varying though, and not me.

Agreed.  Many times watermelon is no big deal, but once in a while you eat one and you understand that you were put on earth to eat this watermelon, in this moment. 

I like it when a group of friends is sitting in the sun, and they suddenly realize, almost simultaneously, that the correct thing to do is to get a watermelon and eat it.  And then they get an enormous watermelon, and drive it to a lake where they plan to have a picnic, and they work together to lift the watermelon out of the car, and as they're carrying it across the parking lot it slips from their hands and shatters on the pavement.  And then they pounce on it, en masse, like wolves on a caribou.  They dig their hands into the broken watermelon carcass, digging out fistfuls of fruit and swallowing it, giddy with the certain knowledge that they are doing exactly what they should be doing, in that moment. 

Technically, this has only happened to me once.  But I like to assume it will happen again, one of these days. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 04:23:44 am »

you understand that you were put on earth to eat this watermelon, in this moment. 

After an epigram this good you should not explain yourself any further.  Still, you more than deserve a tiny can for this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 04:35:03 am »

Man, I gotta stick up for cornbread AND watermelon now...

Watermelon is summer by a lake, when you spent all day barefoot and Exploring Things.  You get a giant slice and spit the seeds wherever and who cares if you get all sticky because you're just jumping back in the lake again even though you're supposed to wait 30 minutes.

These days I don't get it often, because the really good watermelon comes from those giants that take both arms and there's no way I could ever eat that much.  But it's still great ice-cold with a dash of salt.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 04:43:16 am »

Quote from: Lister
Watermelon is summer by a lake, when you spent all day barefoot and Exploring Things.

Man, yeah, it makes sense now... this is why I don't like watermelon:

I never spent a summer day by a lake, barefoot and exploring things, without being pretty-much forced to. I didn't wanna go in a lake, man, there's giraffe in there, they could touch my foot and that would be ten hells of gross. Barefoot exploring things? Man, there's that effort thing again.

Summer for me was and is... if I'm gonna be outside, I'm gonna be in a chlorinated pool or at a baseball game and, otherwise, I'll be inside where it is not hot and bright, reading or listening to the radio or something.

I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 04:47:39 am »

I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.

My esteemed friend, you make your own destiny. 

Go find a watermelon and a lake to sit beside this very summer.  You won't regret it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 04:55:44 am »

I like watermelon okay. It seems to me it tasted better when I was a child. Perhaps because of the Barefoot and Exploring Things phenomenon (do doo da doo doo... phenomenon). I adore cantaloupe however. With prosciutto and a bit of black pepper it's divine. Honeydew, like watermelon, I could take or leave. I will eat it if it's in front of me and I won't dislike it; but I won't go out of my way to seek it out to eat.

The essence of summer, for me, however, is cavaillon melon]http://www.melondecavaillon.com/]cavaillon melon.

Bliss.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 05:22:51 am »

I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.

For real.  Maybe one day they'll make a virtual-reality version of Watermelon by a Lake, but until then, shit, there are too many deals to be sealed, know what I'm sayin'?





P.S.:  I ain't never been to Disney World, and I don't even want to go.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 05:23:21 am »

(do doo da doo doo... phenomenon)

Is that a theme song for the word "phenomenon"?  I hope that all words have theme songs. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 05:42:04 am »

Mof is actually making a Muppet reference of solid intensity.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 07:37:39 am »

I like it when a group of friends is sitting in the sun, and they suddenly realize, almost simultaneously, that the correct thing to do is to get a watermelon and eat it.  And then they get an enormous watermelon, and drive it to a lake where they plan to have a picnic, and they work together to lift the watermelon out of the car, and as they're carrying it across the parking lot it slips from their hands and shatters on the pavement.  And then they pounce on it, en masse, like wolves on a caribou.  They dig their hands into the broken watermelon carcass, digging out fistfuls of fruit and swallowing it, giddy with the certain knowledge that they are doing exactly what they should be doing, in that moment.   

This happened to me once, except replace the watermelon with a huge picnic cooler full of red Kool-Aid, and replace the picnic with the wrap party for a summer-camp production of West Side Story, and replace the eating with lying in the Kool-Aid puddle and pretending to be dead gangsters as others take pictures. Nonetheless, it was exactly what we were meant to be doing that afternoon, and it was glorious.

Truth in Anecdoting: I was not actually a cast member in West Side Story. I was, instead, playing all the depressing-fat-girl parts in Spoon River Anthology, but both plays' casts hung out together to try and avert our basic angst about our situation. Also, when you are at art camp, you show up at every party possible, because free food is your friend.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 11:32:29 am »

Watermelon is the Shit.
We used to grow watermelons in our backyard, wonderful tasteful things full of juice and deliciousness.

Never Ever Ever buy a watermelon from a supermarket if you can help it, those cocksuckers freeze them in transit and a watermelon that has been frozen tastes goddamn awful and tends to be kind of bruised.

Unfortunately the only time I tend to eat it anymore is around christmas when we'll generally buy one because we know it will all get et.

RE: Muppets. I was really suprised when I found out that was the first sketch on the first muppet show, that's some pretty brave material to start out with even if the audience is kind of familiar with your characters.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Back when people ate watermelons
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 01:19:53 pm »

Man, yeah, it makes sense now... this is why I don't like watermelon:

I never spent a summer day by a lake, barefoot and exploring things, without being pretty-much forced to. I didn't wanna go in a lake, man, there's giraffe in there, they could touch my foot and that would be ten hells of gross. Barefoot exploring things? Man, there's that effort thing again.

Summer for me was and is... if I'm gonna be outside, I'm gonna be in a chlorinated pool or at a baseball game and, otherwise, I'll be inside where it is not hot and bright, reading or listening to the radio or something.

I am not a Watermelon Liking person. My destiny was never going to be as a Watermelon Liking person.

Barefoot exploring is crazy! Did you learn that there are like worms and stuff that will burrow into your foot and lay eggs if you go outside barefoot? And we won't even discuss all the insects that are likely to be around a lake.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up