The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on March 16, 2007, 07:00:51 am

Title: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 16, 2007, 07:00:51 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03162007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03162007)

You have to enjoy how Ray deals with the hatred of an old man.

"Man, I got to disagree." The dude is Bargaining.

The dude was born Bargaining, lives Bargaining and will die Bargaining.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 16, 2007, 07:01:43 am
This is perhaps the best way the arc could have ended.

"a toilet seat that smokes a cigar"
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: V-Adore on March 16, 2007, 07:03:38 am
Also, "I think you would shoot a baby."

Coming from Dr. Leon Sumbitches, that is entirely sincere and entirely cold. Daaang.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: mrchee on March 16, 2007, 07:42:19 am
weak effort
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: iron_felix on March 16, 2007, 08:46:57 am
Leon is just in a bad mood because he still hasn't heard back from his colleague Dr. Ueuys (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07132005) about his plan to eradicate disease in Africa.  He is beginning to lose hope.

Those poor Africans.  Not only will they stay sick, now they will never know the delicious taste of a Smuckles' Christian Burrito.  Hard times indeed.  Life is never neat; life is always bad.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: ananke on March 16, 2007, 09:46:05 am
Wow, this one actually made me slap my desk. I like the increasing scorn on Leon's face in panel 4.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 16, 2007, 11:38:46 am
Onstad didn't feel like investing six days of effort into Lie Bot and Vlad mooning everyone from a Datsun while screaming "Success!" so he just wrapped it up as is.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Golfhaus on March 16, 2007, 03:17:19 pm
Yeah, that felt rushed to me. This arc could have gone another two, three strips before being packed in.

I mean hell, all Beef got to do was check a Wikipedia entry.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 16, 2007, 03:24:38 pm
Quote
FIN.

This always makes me far happier than it has any right to.

I agree that it seemed a bit dashed there, but the call was pretty well executed so I can live with it. And to be honest, I'm not entirely certain that it could have gone much further without being overstretched; maybe it was just not too well structured rather than cut too short.

I think Leon's being a little harsh. Ray's a lot of things, but he is not a guy who shoots a baby.

(EDITED for being posted entirely as a quotation, with implications not worth deep consideration.)
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2007, 03:53:08 pm
Man Leon really laid it on thick here. And for what? Cause ray said it was an amateur automobile historian and wanted a 25 dollar token payment? I'm coming out in favor of ray here. If leon really wanted his money to be safe he would have played along with ray.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: theinevitable on March 16, 2007, 04:36:15 pm
I don't know, man. if I were a (terrifying looking) philanthropic African millionaire, I would not trust a man who made fun of me over the internet. With my billions.

of dollars.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2007, 04:39:17 pm
I don't know, man. if I were a (terrifying looking) philanthropic African millionaire, I would not trust a man who made fun of me over the internet. With my billions.

of dollars.

Ha ha. Point taken.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: mrchee on March 16, 2007, 05:37:24 pm
2/10
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2007, 09:22:53 pm
I give it full credit for the Stevie Wonder reference.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: robot_god on March 16, 2007, 09:42:08 pm
It was only until the last strip that I was beginning to get into the story, so the fin gives me a shucks, but whatever, as long as Monday's strip is entertaining then it's all good.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 16, 2007, 09:47:11 pm
Man Leon really laid it on thick here. And for what? Cause ray said it was an amateur automobile historian and wanted a 25 dollar token payment? I'm coming out in favor of ray here. If leon really wanted his money to be safe he would have played along with ray.

No, because, among other things, Ray lied about sending money.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Teatime on March 16, 2007, 10:10:07 pm
Pleased, but unfulfilled. Equivalent to finding a piece of cake on the table along with a note that there was no time to make dinner before her class.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 16, 2007, 11:11:08 pm
What would be really amazing is if Ray were deeply hurt by this, and flew to Africa or something to prove to Leon that he is, in fact, a Rad Dude. Or if Ray converted to Christianity or something. That would be rude.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Doc Benway on March 17, 2007, 12:09:09 pm
What would be really amazing is if Ray were deeply hurt by this, and flew to Africa or something to prove to Leon that he is, in fact, a Rad Dude. Or if Ray converted to Christianity or something. That would be rude.
True, true. It would be like "Shaft in Africa" but, y'know, with a talking cat instead of Richard Roundtree, and a totally different plot... but other than that, identical!
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on March 18, 2007, 09:31:26 pm
What would be really amazing is if Ray were deeply hurt by this, and flew to Africa or something to prove to Leon that he is, in fact, a Rad Dude. Or if Ray converted to Christianity or something. That would be rude.
All traveling on a British Merchant Ship
All shanghaied by pirates.
All saved by the Bandar tribe of pygmy cats.
All swearing on the skull of his father to protect the innocent
All wearing a purple costume and skull rings.

This is the story
Of the Cat Who Walks.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2007, 09:33:15 pm
This thread is wandering dangerously close to fanfic.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 18, 2007, 09:41:07 pm
Quote
This thread is wandering dangerously close to fanfic.

Hey, I was just speculating. And I think Bjorn's entry is more like fanpo. (Fanpoe?)
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Bjorn the Destroyer on March 20, 2007, 04:06:28 am
You all are not about to tell me you are not familiar with Lee Falk's classic work "The Phantom".
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2007, 04:24:53 am
You could hardly miss the purple costume and the skull rings - it was almost too much!
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 20, 2007, 04:44:17 am
Upon re-reading this strip, the part I enjoy the most is the recognition of a porn actor. "Oh cool I didn't know Juan Carlos Juan was in this."

Who is Juan Carlos Juan? Is he the William Carlos Williams of porn?

so much depends
upon

a red strap-on
dildo

glazed with ky
jelly

beside the white
tablecloths
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2007, 04:48:12 am
That's worth two cans.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2007, 05:06:24 am
He is the Wendy Carlos of pornography.

He is also the Walter Carlos of pornography.

It is Complicated.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: MattFish on March 20, 2007, 05:08:52 am
why are we in this thread?
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2007, 05:18:41 am
oh my god, how did I miss a Ghost who Walks reference? I worshiped that movie as a kid. so much. I had the ring and everything.
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2007, 02:00:16 pm
oh my god, how did I miss a Ghost who Walks reference? I worshiped that movie as a kid. so much. I had the ring and everything.

Movie? I remember reading the Sunday comic . . .
Title: Re: March 16, 2007 - "songs sung in the key of lie"
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 20, 2007, 03:58:08 pm
I totally posted that fanpo in the wrong thread. Ah, well.