The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Turbo Ninja on March 16, 2007, 08:16:54 pm

Title: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 16, 2007, 08:16:54 pm
One of my criteria for a St. Patrick's Day bar is to walk in and loudly ask if they serve green beer.  If they reply in the affirmative, I turn on my heel and walk out.  Ain't no beer gonna turn a good shade of green unless it's Coors Lite or something, and that's no kind of beer to drink if you're pretending to be Irish for a day (and HELLS NO if you're actually of descent).
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: wombat on March 16, 2007, 08:18:58 pm
No.

I had some nice green tea cake today though.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2007, 08:21:18 pm
When I went to a fun college we were sometimes allowed to drink beer in class. St.Patricks Day was one of those times. My afternoon lecture was filled with young men drinking forty-ounce bottles of green colored beer. It disgusted me then and it disgusts me now.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 16, 2007, 08:22:05 pm
No, it is never acceptable.

It is acceptable to get such as a Heineken in a green-glass bottle, if you're into the green beer thing.

That is pretty much as far as it goes.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: jaydub on March 16, 2007, 08:25:17 pm
It is a low thing to drink green beer.

Make a black and tan out of Harps and Guinness.  That is a much more appropriate way to observe the Feast Day of St Patrick.  Brandish a cudgel at any snakes you come across as well.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: slink on March 16, 2007, 08:58:51 pm
As far as I'm aware you can't get such a thing in Britain... I mean, hell, I don't like to consider Northern Ireland as part of the UK (not for wont of getting rid of the, merely for letting them be rid of us), but we're close enough to only accept Guinness as St. Patrick's day beer (maybe a Caffreys or something if, god forbid, you are unwilling to drink Guinness). Thereafter it's just about being Iri^h^h^h drunk, so it doesn't matter so much.

I'm shuddering just at the thought...
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Teatime on March 16, 2007, 09:00:22 pm
I don't know that it's acceptable to drink anything but Guinness on St. Patrick's. Guinness is not green.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2007, 09:20:07 pm
Beer is not a toy or a game.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: robot_god on March 16, 2007, 09:20:22 pm
One of my criteria for a St. Patrick's Day bar is to walk in and loudly ask if they serve green beer.  If they reply in the affirmative, I turn on my heel and walk out.  Ain't no beer gonna turn a good shade of green unless it's Coors Lite or something, and that's no kind of beer to drink if you're pretending to be Irish for a day (and HELLS NO if you're actually of descent).

Hah hah, I like that.

For me it's Jameson or Tullemore, or last year was Michael Collins in that long neck bottle since it looked so intriguing.

But coloring the whiskey?  That's a new thread altogether.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2007, 11:30:11 pm
So I just recently had someone tell me that they made something called "beer margaritas" in college. I guess it is beer and lime juice and margarita mix (tequila optional). I shanked him just like Red Sheets.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2007, 11:37:04 pm
I top off my beer with nothing.  Why are people messing with the beer? What did the beer ever do to them?
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 16, 2007, 11:39:03 pm
Sometimes you just wish you woke up with the gin already in you.

My wife and I say this to each other often. Unfortunately we more or less mean it.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 16, 2007, 11:45:13 pm
In Alaska, Gin drinks you.


(I had to copy and paste that comma from another post)
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Teatime on March 16, 2007, 11:59:25 pm
In everywhere, gin tastes like awful.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on March 17, 2007, 12:01:57 am
I have never tried gin.
And I still can't really enjoy beer. Getting closer, maybe.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: melack on March 17, 2007, 12:28:13 am
When I was a wee lad, my mom used to put green food coloring in our oatmeal for breakfast on St. Patty's Day. Needless to say, before I discovered beer, my favorite part of the holiday was pooping neon green.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 17, 2007, 01:56:27 am
There are alcohols that will fuck you up more.

There are alcohols that will make you more of an embarrassing mess.

There are alcohols that will give you worse hangovers, that will make you vomit more.

But there ain't nothing more flat-out disgusting than gin.

It tastes like burning.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: linnea on March 17, 2007, 02:19:01 am
I think it was Lore who described gin like blowing a Christmas Tree? Memory fails me, but I hate gin.

Green beer is hella crass. I've heard that there are some towns that dye their rivers green for St. Patrick's Day...what the hell, people! How could they do that without hurting the river's inhabitants? Bastards.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: iron_felix on March 17, 2007, 02:31:06 am
I really want to like gin, mainly because I am annoyed by the proliferation of vodka martinis and want to be a purist so I can dig my heels in about the issue.  But I'll be damned if that's ever gonna happen.  You'd think a drink that tastes like distilled new car smell would be more palatable than that.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2007, 03:00:32 am
Oh, to be that young again, before I fell in love with gin. Gin is the choice of civilized drunks. If you aren't drinking gin, you might as well be lapping up Olde English 800 out of the dog's bowl.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 17, 2007, 03:55:26 am
One time my former roommate drank a handle of Seagram's Lime Twisted Gin in a night.

Before we knew he would drink it all, we made fun of the fact that he was taking shots of gin (EHHH!), and he responded by saying something to the effect of it is only 35 percent since it is lime twisted or something.  The guy is 21 and already has Liver polyps (sp?). 

That is an alcoholic.  That is not civilized.



Also, gin is good in drinks.  Just as good as any other liquor. 
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 17, 2007, 03:59:16 am
I wish you were my roommate KeithHernandez. Oh the times we would have.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2007, 04:31:30 am
Oh, to be that young again, before I fell in love with gin. Gin is the choice of civilized drunks. If you aren't drinking gin, you might as well be lapping up Olde English 800 out of the dog's bowl.

Oh my.  Oh me Oh my. 

I ruined gin for myself before I got started.  Back when I was 17, the spring before graduation, I developed quite a taste for the stuff.  So what did I take to the graduation party but a quart of Beefeater.  Which I proceeded to drink 3/4's of.

It was but the first of many drunken vomits.  But it was of such depth and quality that it's effected me to this day.  I haven't touched a drop of gin since 1983, nor have I felt the slightest temptation to try it.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: linnea on March 17, 2007, 06:16:38 am
One time my former roommate drank a handle of Seagram's Lime Twisted Gin in a night.[...]The guy is 21 and already has Liver polyps (sp?). 


Jesus Christ on a bike, that's fucked up. Do you think it is rad to have alcoholism, KH's ex-roommate.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 17, 2007, 06:22:51 am
(Also, he is 22, I am 21).

And yes, he does think it is awesome to have alcoholism.  It gets pretty annoying to me, because he is not a very good drunk.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 17, 2007, 06:36:02 am
I've seen my brother polish off a 5-litre box of wine in a sitting, complain that there isn't more and then still have to take four diphenhydramine pills to be able to fall asleep that night. My brother is pretty much frightening at times.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 17, 2007, 09:05:31 pm
This guy is essentially the same way.  One time he stole my camelback so he could drink however much it holds full of Franzia during a 50 minute class.  I think that was like 2 liters, but I don't remember.


I am the same way, but with pot, so it is much chiller.  For instance, I don't just say bitch over and over again at the end of the night, I don't fall through doors, have liver polyps, etc.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 17, 2007, 09:07:03 pm
A large bottle of Evan Williams and a 2-liter RC cola.

Not good times. I fell through a window.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: melack on March 17, 2007, 09:37:08 pm
I haven't really been drinking very much at all since I graduated from college in June.

Well, there was the time back in September when I temporarily blacked out in an alley in Munich, but that's neither here nor there.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 17, 2007, 09:53:16 pm
I also found out about good old Evan from the same kid.

Also, Early Times.  I love the names of cheap whiskeys.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 18, 2007, 05:35:14 am
Tonight Tommy at the High Beck Tavern (handily located at the corner of High and Beck) squoze a drop or two of green dye into our first pitcher of beer this eve.  I made a shitty fit of it and he left the beer alone after that.  Thanks, Tommy.  Green : beer :: Hunts : ketchup.

The people at the first bar didn't try to dye my Guinness but they did pour it fast so the head was bubbly instead of creamy.  Nonetheless, I tipped.  The TVs in one room were about four seconds ahead of the TVs in the other room, so we knew how Ohio State was doing a little before the other room did.  We would cheer and then the other people needed a bit to catch up to us.  It was like they were retarded sports (basketball) fans.

To sum up, boo to green beer but yay to beer in general.

PS - Gin is DA BOMB.  Hendrick's is potable poetry and even Plymouth (that British Navy stuff) is good when blessed with a squeeze of citrus.  I will happlily drink my share of the board's allotment.  (I will also eat the board's allotment of bacon, but that's a different thread.)

Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on March 18, 2007, 05:39:08 am
my friend celebrated St Patty's with a different thing which is green. Without dye. We were originally going to go to this party some kids were having downtown, but she was afraid of all the drunk punk kids, and I had to be home at a reasonable hour, since my flight leaves at 7 tomorrow.

also: I have realized, I have major psychosomatic-substance problems. When around a high person, life is awesome. When around drunk people, I start stumbling. It is really weird.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: robot_god on March 18, 2007, 08:02:54 am
The second best thing about gin is that none of your grimeball friends like it.  Brandy or vodka, all the dudes will be like, "hook a brother up," and then the bottle is almost done and you didn't get drunk.

But gin, gin is a grimeball defense.  I buy a bottle of gin and I'll be on it dolo, no doubt.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Lister on March 18, 2007, 12:30:10 pm
One of the very most college-drinkest drinks I know of is gin mixed with Mountain Dew.  It almost kind of works. 

When my roomate and I started our senior year in our new apartment we bought handles of vodka, bourbon, rum, and gin.  At the end of the year the gin was still basically untouched, so we left it outside by the dumpster to make some bum's week.

Green beer is unacceptable.  Dying food items green is also unacceptable, unless they are egg yolks sunny-side up*.  If you must involve green, wear green clothing, and not those damned plastic bowlers.  Also: you are not irish, so stop trying to talk like Darby O'Gill.  You're not pulling it off, and it wasn't funny anyway.  Also: "Kiss me, I'm Irish" is only amusing when printed on under#####.

*Is this possible?  I want it if it is.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 18, 2007, 02:28:48 pm
Jesus mabye I am an alcoholic too, ain't no way in hell a handle of anything, especially a perfectly good drink like gin, lasts more than 4 days in my house.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 18, 2007, 02:31:09 pm
Jesus mabye I am an alcoholic too, ain't no way in hell a handle of anything, especially a perfectly good drink like gin, lasts more than 4 days in my house.

yea seriously. Is something wrong with us?

Am I right to understand they bought four handles and one of them was left at the end of the semester? What?
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 03:29:52 pm
Jesus mabye I am an alcoholic too, ain't no way in hell a handle of anything, especially a perfectly good drink like gin, lasts more than 4 days in my house.

I thought maybe they lost them until the last weekend or something. That whole anecdote wasn't making any sense to me.

We go through a couple handles of Monopolowa and a couple Sapphires every two weeks I'm home. Is this . . . not good . . . or something?
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: AugustWest on March 18, 2007, 03:41:57 pm
Monopolowa

That's some good stuff, Maynard.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 03:44:19 pm
They don't sell it in Anchorage, for some reason. When I'm up here (in town) I drink Chopin. They don't sell that in Portland. Funny old world, eh?
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: melack on March 18, 2007, 11:10:43 pm
Did your guys' St. Patty's Day turn out pretty good? Mine did. I drank some Guinness, a gigantic bottle of Heineken and went for a nighttime skateboarding session at the local school with a couple friends. Let's just say alcohol makes you a much more daring athlete than normal. I learned this when I did a skateboard trick that involved stalling on a tree.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 11:20:18 pm
Mine was great. I worked. Then I went to sleep. Then I got up, and I'm at work now.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 18, 2007, 11:31:54 pm
I ended up watching The Holiday with my girlfriend and her mother. That movie. sucks. so bad. But my girlfriend...
NOW WHAT IM SAYING? HUH? HUH? SO GOOD! YEA YOU GET IT! HEYO!
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 18, 2007, 11:35:16 pm
So are you saying that you and she fucked?
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Lister on March 19, 2007, 01:51:53 pm
I thought maybe they lost them until the last weekend or something.

We actually had the alcohol sitting in plain view the entire year... but it turned out we hosted far fewer events than we had been expecting to, due to other friends renting a house and also due to us being legal and within walking distance of most of the bars in town.  The three other bottles were gone, replaced, and gone again quite quickly -- but the gin was mostly left alone.

This St. Patrick's day went pretty well for me.  Went to a party where I knew few people but still had a good time, and no one got drunk enough to break anything or yell.

Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2007, 04:19:59 pm
I like that he had to defend himself. From accusations of not drinking enough.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 20, 2007, 03:33:13 am
One of the very most college-drinkest drinks I know of is gin mixed with Mountain Dew.  It almost kind of works. 

The official non-beer drink at our fraternity house was the "hobag," which was gin and lemonade.  Usually Country Time instant-powdered stuff, with actual lemon wedges dumped in for CLASS.

It tasked like furniture polish.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2007, 03:35:34 am
Cheap vodka and Hawaiian Punch is basically my memory of college.

Mr. Boston's Vodka in a plastic jug and Hawaiian Punch from the one time the vending machine just kept taking the same quarter over and over and our floor empted the thing out and stocked up.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: melack on March 20, 2007, 05:12:36 am
My freshman year in college was basically just shots of cheap vodka (Monarch, usually) with something from the vending machine to chase it. Powerade, most of the time.

Oh, college...
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2007, 05:32:06 am
here we normally go for the classic Vodka and Cranberry Juice. With too much vodka, of course.

also: I enjoyed visiting my girlfriend's dad's house. it is in an area of St Louis which is apparently predominantly Irish (or at least, historically so) and it was the day after St Patrick's day.
THE STREET SMELLED LIKE BEER. the windows of the car were open, and the smell of beer was quite strong. as we drove by. not particularly slowly.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2007, 05:44:14 am
Perhaps it is because I grew up in a small town that basically WAS Circumstances but... you've never smelled a street that smelled of beer before? During the summer, Main Street pretty much always reeked of beer. It was as inescapable as the rural poverty toward which it was clearly associated.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2007, 05:47:23 am
no. I have not smelled that.

probably streets in Charlotte have smelled like that, but... until I could drive (ie, less than 2 years ago) I never really left the little area of suburb where my house is.
also, part of why it was so surprising is that when we drove down it, we didn't see a single person. It was an empty beer-smelling street.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2007, 05:49:33 am
If an empty street smells of beer for one or two days, that is the smell of Revelry.

If an empty street smells of beer for weeks, that is the smell of Despair.

We have now established the difference between revelry and despair.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2007, 05:59:55 am
yeah. Charlotte is a lot of things, but it is not a town where there is much Despair.

PS the guys on my floor made green beer. And... put in too much dye. And kept adding more beer to try to dilute it, but it did not dilute. It stayed SO GREEN.
at least, that is what I have heard. I was not back in St Louis yet when this happened.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2007, 01:59:00 pm
here we normally go for the classic Vodka and Cranberry Juice. With too much vodka, of course.

also: I enjoyed visiting my girlfriend's dad's house. it is in an area of St Louis which is apparently predominantly Irish (or at least, historically so) and it was the day after St Patrick's day.
THE STREET SMELLED LIKE BEER. the windows of the car were open, and the smell of beer was quite strong. as we drove by. not particularly slowly.

Wow! Yeah, that's never happened to me. Of course, I gre up in AK, so everyone drank stuff with a little more gusto. Or maybe they just didn't spill.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 20, 2007, 08:35:21 pm
One of the very most college-drinkest drinks I know of is gin mixed with Mountain Dew.  It almost kind of works. 

It DEFINITELY works if you use Code Red Mountain Dew and call it a "Fast Gin Fizz."
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2007, 08:39:15 pm
It DEFINITELY works if you use Code Red Mountain Dew and call it a "Fast Gin Fizz."

Very nice - worth a can - I will never drink that swill.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Bimmicus on April 02, 2007, 09:32:02 am
Why is it that beer is the most delicious thing on earth until it spills, which transforms it instantly into the most rank, piss-vile liquid? That's always been a mystery to me.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: linnea on April 02, 2007, 02:49:44 pm
Why is it that beer is the most delicious thing on earth until it spills, which transforms it instantly into the most rank, piss-vile liquid? That's always been a mystery to me.

My uncle and aunt lived in New Orleans briefly during the mid 1990s. She hated it, my uncle didn't mind it so much. She said that the city permanently stank of beer and puke. I've never been there, myself.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 02, 2007, 03:34:53 pm
Why is it that beer is the most delicious thing on earth until it spills, which transforms it instantly into the most rank, piss-vile liquid? That's always been a mystery to me.
As a guy who works for a brewer, I can tell you that skunking is the result of oxygen and light interacting with the hops in the beer. There are alpha acids in the hops that give beer its hoppy/bitter taste. When the alpha acids are exposed to light and air, they become other compounds (some of these compounds contain sulfur) that do not smell or taste good at all.
Modern brewers sometimes use fake hops to prevent this. SABMiller is known for this because where they brew, they are not actually required to include real hops.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on April 02, 2007, 07:02:36 pm
my friend Kate LB (http://flickr.com/photos/theinevitable/393582514/) is from New Orleans. She is wonderful, and has made me want to go visit there.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2007, 04:01:07 am
my friend Kate LB (http://flickr.com/photos/theinevitable/393582514/) is from New Orleans. She is wonderful, and has made me want to go visit there.

That girl is adorable.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: theinevitable on May 02, 2007, 04:28:20 am
um. yeah. she is basically pretty and nice.

her personality is like a 10 year old girl. so, you know. very cute.
Title: Re: Is green beer EVER acceptable?
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2007, 04:29:09 am
um. yeah. she is basically pretty and nice.

her personality is like a 10 year old girl. so, you know. very cute.

Thanks for ruining it for me.