The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2007, 03:46:47 am

Title: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2007, 03:46:47 am
So, I'm going to have a housewarming party in a month or two. I'm generating a playlist off my iPod for said party. What I want from you people is a list of five songs each that you would really like to hear if you were sitting at a party and tossing back whatever it is that you would be tossing back. Also, if you like to be high at parties, you would probably be high. I have the following artists or bands (listed in alphabetical order) already represented:

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Bad Religion
Lionel Belasco
Black Flag
David Bowie
Brad
Cars
Johnny Cash
Commodores
Cream
Damned
Dead Boys
Fugazi
Marvin Gaye
Al Green
Green Day
Hellacopters
Hives
Howlin Wolf
Robert Johnson
Live
Curtis Mayfield
Motörhead
NoFX
Operation Ivy
Mohammed Rafi
Otis Redding
Pearl Jam
Pixies
Ramones
Rolling Stones
Scissor Sisters
Spinners
Split Enz
Steely Dan
Stereophonics
Stone Roses
Thin Lizzy
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Weezer
White Stripes
Warren Zevon

This is by no means a final list. I probably need 8 hours or so, but even so I will need to prune this. I'm not going to go in there and set a order; I will just be randomizing it. Please feel free not to suggest Burning Down the House or The Roof is on Fire (or whatever it's called) as I have a weak sense of humor and those are the best jokes I could come up with. I expect better from you. However, do feel free to suggest house-related songs (Son House will probably end up on here). Each band or artist will probably only get a couple of songs. I have a pretty large music collection, and can borrow more or purchase more if the recommendations are effusive enough. Also, feel absolutely free to rip on me for whatever band or artist on this list you are convinced shot your Paw or molested your St. Bernard. If you are curious, I can tell you the songs I picked from these folks. Thank you for your consideration in advance.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 19, 2007, 04:04:29 am
What Stone Roses?

Also, the Happy Mondays, Good Beck, The Pogues.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2007, 04:10:03 am
Um, yeah. Right now, at this moment in my life, I would want to hear:
Martha and the Vandellas (Heat Wave, specifically, is my obsession.)
Dangerpenis (99 Problems.)
Marvelettes
James Brown

...I dunno what else. Basically I really like The Grey Album, and I am reading a book about the history of Soul. I am only as far as the Motown part.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2007, 04:25:15 am
...I dunno what else. Basically I really like The Grey Album, and I am reading a book about the history of Soul. I am only as far as the Motown part.

I will give my recommendations later but first I will say that the Grey Album is a masterpiece. I wrote a paper on it describing it as an element of the evolution of American culture. (what? No really.)
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2007, 04:31:12 am
yeah, I brought it up in "Writing One" when every other person in the class said that they don't understand why some people don't like Copyright law, and that anyone who breaks it obviously isn't "creating" anything. I kind of... ranted for a good couple of minutes.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: pmcd9 on March 19, 2007, 04:35:17 am
What kind of party is this going to be crazy or mellow?  I mean what are you hoping for here, people standing around your living room and kitchen sipping wine and discussing American foreign policy with Hey Nineteen playing softly in the background?  Or is this going to be a party with lots of drinking and people getting drunk, smokin' lots of weed in the backyard, strangers hooking up and having sex in your daughter's room, the cops beating on the door telling you to turn down the Jay Z?
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2007, 04:39:31 am
Um, Dang.

My problem is that about 75% of those bands I've either never heard of or maybe know 2 songs.

Dude, you're an oldster around here.  You aren't supposed to be making me feel even older.  Still and all, you're good people, so's I'll do what I can.

AC/DC Highway to Hell, Back in Black, You Shook Me
Aerosmith Walk this Way  that's about it.
Bad Religion
Lionel Belasco
Black Flag
David Bowie Young Americans, China Girl, Ziggy Stardust hard to go wrong..
Brad
Cars Good Times Roll, Moving In Stereo, Candy-O
Johnny Cash Ring of Fire, Boy Named Sue, Folsom Prison Blues
Commodores Brick House, Sail On, Once Twice Three Times a Lady, Machine Gun
Damned
Dead Boys
Fugazi
Marvin Gaye
Al Green Let's Stay Together
Green Day
Hellacopters
Hives
Howlin Wolf Serious blues is not party music.
Robert Johnson See above
Live
Curtis Mayfield
Motörhead
NoFX
Operation Ivy
Mohammed Rafi
Otis Redding Dock of the Bay
Pearl Jam
Pixies
Ramones
Rolling Stones Paint it Black, 19th Nervous Breakdown, She's a Rainbow, Emotional Rescue, Angie, Wild hosss
Scissor Sisters
Spinners Rubberband Man, Could it be I'm falling in love?
Split Enz
Steely Dan Dirty Work, Kid Charlemagne, East St Louis Toodle-Oo, Deacon Blues,  way too many others to list...
Stereophonics
Stone Roses
Thin Lizzy The Boys are Back in Town
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Weezer
White Stripes
Warren Zevon Lawyers, Guns and Money; Werewolves of London;  Please Stay; Keep Me in Your Heart
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 19, 2007, 04:59:32 am

Howlin Wolf Serious blues is not party music.
Robert Johnson See above

QFT&A


(what?)
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2007, 05:08:08 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNJjL9iznY
I couldn't find the other video for this song I've seen, but, YES. Also, Kanye West's "Gold Digger" is pretty fantastic once you have had a few drinks and you feel like dancing.
PS: Bad Brains might be good, also.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: robot_god on March 19, 2007, 05:11:44 am
If I'm drunk and there is room to dance, the only music I want to hear is James Brown, upbeat Ray Charles, and Time's 777-9311.

But honestly all you need for a perfect party is the whiskey, a few sets of boxing gloves and Motorhead.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 19, 2007, 05:22:27 am
Guns N Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine"
Ben Folds Five, "Steven's Last Night in Town"
Pink Floyd, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
Beck, "Lord Only Know"
Led Zepplin, "When The Levee Breaks"

Remember the music snob motto: if you can dance to it, it completely sucks.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: linnea on March 19, 2007, 05:46:33 am
Five songs that I would want to hear played at a partay (songs from the Achewood Mix Tape would also be nice):

1. "Bandages and Scars" by Son Volt from Okemah and the Melody of Riot
2. "Young Americans" by David Bowie
3. "Where Is My Mind?", "Tony's Theme", and "Gigantic" by the Pixies
4. "Kissing the Lipless" by the Shins
5. "Yellow Ledbetter" by Pearl Jam
6. "Get on the Boat" by Prince (from 3121, also "If I Was The Man In Your Life" and "The Marrying Kind" from Musicology)
7. "Cuts You Up" by Peter Murphy from Deep
8. "Convenient Parking" by Modest penis from The Lonesome Crowded West
9. "Let the Music Play" by Robert Earl Keen from Farm Fresh Onions (also "The Road Goes On Forever" which is on several of his albums, and "New Life in Old Mexico" from Walking Distance)
10. "Cure For Pain" by Morphine
11. "Wordless Chorus" by My Morning Jacket from Z
12. "Lo and Beholden" by Patti Smith
13. "Burn You Up, Burn You Down", by Peter Gabriel (also "More Than This", "Digging In The Dirt", and "Downside Up")
14. "The Sky Lit Up" by PJ Harvey
15. "The Ring" and "Back to Believing" by William Topley

And later in the night when chill music is needed I recommend Iron & Wine.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: pmcd9 on March 19, 2007, 06:00:43 am
Remember the music snob motto: if you can dance to it, it completely sucks.

You must really hate the Scissor Sisters.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 19, 2007, 06:03:47 am
Hey, I don't know what to tell you.

I was raised to believe that people are supposed to enjoy music by putting on headphones, cranking it to the highest setting and then experiencing intense feelings through the music.

Dancing music was for, like, nomadic tribes and rave-kids. It was not for Serious Enjoyment.

I was raised to love music in a Pat-like way. I, too, love the work of Robert Fripp.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 19, 2007, 06:20:48 am

8. "Convenient Parking" by Modest penis from The Lonesome Crowded West
9. "Let the Music Play" by Robert Earl Keen from Farm Fresh Onions (also "The Road Goes On Forever"

Oh HELLZZZ yes.  I am going on a road trip in less than 9 hours, and Modest penis's Lonesome, Crowded West and It's A Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About will be playing so loud, with the cigarettes just light themselves.  Best road albums ever.  I recommend Trucker's Atlas off of The Lonesome, Crowded West as well.

Also, I have one REK album my dad gave me (like, just to burn), that I have never listened to.  It is on my iPod for tomorrows drive as well.  Have you ever heard the Joe Ely version (edit: of the road goes on forever)?  It is so amazing.  Do you live Joe Ely?  He is from Lubbock, was in the Flatlanders (Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmour and Ely) (who have an alsome album, called More a Legend Than a Band that you should totally check out), toured with the Clash and plays "The Road Goes on Forever" live alot.  He has also recorded it.  He wrote an amazing version of Billie the Kid and had a minor hit /duet w/ Springsteen called "All Just to Get to You", that maybe you have heard.  You should really hear this guy.  I can make something happen if that is what it takes.

He is also on my iPod for tomorrow. 
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Drygioni on March 19, 2007, 07:49:14 am
Burning Down the House (Stop Making Sense version or otherwise) - Talking Heads
Sally McLennane, or maybe Streams of Whiskey.. hell, I love everything by them, and you can jig to nearly all of it - The Pogues
Blue Monday - New Order
Darlington County (or similar) - Bruce Springsteen
One Step Beyond - Madness
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2007, 09:32:18 am
The party in my head is currently playing:
The Prayer - Bloc Party
Good idea at the time - Ok Go
Pinch me - Barenaked ladies
Broadway - Goo Goo dolls
and Nessaja - Scooter. Just because I love to hear that at about 11.30 when I'm in the upbeat phase of my drinking.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2007, 01:05:18 pm
I suck hard at making playlists. But because I'm anal, "the roof is on fire" song is called Fire Water Burn by Bloodhound Gang. The Bad Touch also makes people go, "hey, I remember this!"
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: side_show on March 19, 2007, 01:39:03 pm
Beastie Boys Set:

1) Fight for Your Right (To Party)
2) Girls
3) Brass Monkey
4) Intergalatic
5) Body Movin'

New Wave Set:

1) Rock Lobster
2) 88 Lines about 44 Women
3) Whip it
4) Kids in America
5) Tainted Love
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2007, 02:49:35 pm
Hey, I don't know what to tell you.

I was raised to believe that people are supposed to enjoy music by putting on headphones, cranking it to the highest setting and then experiencing intense feelings through the music.

Dancing music was for, like, nomadic tribes and rave-kids. It was not for Serious Enjoyment.

I was raised to love music in a Pat-like way. I, too, love the work of Robert Fripp.

It is possible to love both, you know...
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Lister on March 19, 2007, 03:10:09 pm
I can't limit this to five.  Sorry.

Early:

The B-52's (Pretty much anything)
Barenaked Ladies - Alcohol, Be My Yoko Ono, Life in a Nutshell
Dee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
The Damned - Bad Time For Bonzo, I Think I'm Wonderful, Stranger On The Town
George Clinton - Do Fries Go With That Shake
Green Day - Walking Contradiction
Harry Belafonte - Jump In The Line
The Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing
James Brown - Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Parliament - Give Up The Funk
Propellerheads - History Repeating
Quincy Jones - Stuff Like That (From Q's Jook Joint)
Ray Charles - Shake A Tail Feather, What'd I Say
Ursula 1000 - Mambo 1000
The Wiseguys - Ooh La La

Late:

Badly Drawn Boy - Camping Next To Water
Barenaked Ladies - This Is Where It Ends
The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
Cake - Walk On By
Dinah Shore/Buddy Clark - Baby, It's Cold Outside (Weather permitting)
Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher Man
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)
Jimi Hendrix - Angel,  Castles Made Of Sand, Little Wing
Johnny Cash - Riders In The Sky
Primitive Radio Gods - Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand
R.E.M. - Man On The Moon
The Smithereens - Blood and Roses
U2 - With Or Without You, Still Haven't Found

And now I have to go or I will be late for work.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2007, 04:37:26 pm
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl

About 3 years ago the lame guy who sits next to me at work heard a snippet of Lust for Life on the radio and was mad that people were already covering Are You Gonna Be My Girl. We explained that it was Iggy Pop and he thought we meant Jimmy Pop from Bloodhound Gang.

He is a sad, sad little man. On Friday nights he goes to Dave & Busters with some guys then they all go back to somebody's mom's house to play D&D.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 19, 2007, 11:50:18 pm
So, these the actual songs I picked.

AC/DC - Rocker
Aerosmith - Train Kept A Rollin'
Bad Religion - Entropy
Lionel Belasco
Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown
David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes, Panic in Detroit, Young Americans
Brad - Raise Love
Cars - Just What I Needed, You Might Think
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire
Commodores - Brick House (12" version)
Cream - Swlabr
Damned - Smash It Up, Love Song, Melody Lee, Noise Noise Noise, Plan 9 Channel 7
Dead Boys - Ain't Nothin' to Do, Down in Flames, Sonic Reducer (might go with the Rocket From the Tombs version), What Love Is
Fugazi - Bad Mouth, Latin Roots, Steady Diet, Waiting Room
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On, Sexual Healing
Al Green - I Can't Get Next to You, Let's Get Married, Let's Stay Together
Green Day - Fashion Victim, St. Jimmy
Hellacopters - Paul Stanley, Venus in Force
Hives - Walk Idiot Walk
Howlin Wolf - Back Door Man, How Many More Years, Red Rooster, Smokestack Lightnin', Wang Dang Doodle, You'll Be Mine
Robert Johnson - Crossroad Blues, From Four 'til Late, I Believe I'll Dust My Broom, Malted Milk, Stop Breakin' Down Blues, Sweet Home Chicago, Travelling Riverside Blues
Live - Iris
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Motörhead - Another Perfect Day
NoFX - Bob, I'm Telling Tim, Liza and Louise (hopefully this won't come on until the kids are gone)
Operation Ivy - Junkie's Running Dry
Mohammed Rafi - Jaan Pehechaan Ho
Otis Redding - I Can't Turn You Loose, Try a Little Tenderness
Pearl Jam - Blood
Pixies - Debaser
Ramones - This is going to be very difficult.
Rolling Stones - Little T&A, Stray Cat Blues
Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama, Tits on the Radio
Spinners - Could it Be I'm Falling in Love, I'll Be Around, Rubberband Man
Split Enz - I Got You
Steely Dan - The Boston Rag
Stereophonics - Check My Eyelids for Holes, More Life in a Tramps Vest
Stone Roses - Love Spreads
Thin Lizzy - Chinatown, Jailbreak
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Crazy Life, Fall Down
Weezer - Fall Together, Hash Pipe
White Stripes - Black Jack Davey, Blue Orchid, Death Letter, Fell In Love With a Girl, Lafayette Blues, St. James Infirmary Blues
Warren Zevon - Ain't That Pretty At All, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner

also:
Doors - Love Me Two Times
Down By Law - No Equalizer
Gang of Four - To Hell With Poverty
Rocket From the Tombs - So Cold

I picked most of the above by just randomizing and dragging over anything that appealed to me at the time. Other than the above, I would like to respond:

Keith:
I like some Beck, but of course a lot of his shit is hella depressing. Probably I'll do the funky shit off of Midnight Vultures. I wish Debra didn't have that big extra thing on it. I don't know how to fix something like that or I would. Don't have any Happy Mondays, I will check on them. Pogues hmm. Maybe.

Ash:
Certainly B-52s and the Clash yes. I don't have any Oingo-Boingo. Maybe Suicidal but I don't want too much punk on there because everyone at the party is OG punk and they will call me a poseur. My wife hates Tony Loco.

inev:
James Brown will be all over this. I am stupid to have not put him on yet. I don't know Dangerpenis really. I will put on Aretha instead of M & the Vs and Marvelettes or Shirelles or anything like that.

Paul:
it will be the second kind, except I don't have a daughter. They will probably use the office or the kitchen.

A-Dub:
I'm sorry about your vote on the blues, but it will be sprinkled in and hopefully will make somebody come up to me and ask who it is who is covering Eric Clapton/ZZTop/The Doors, so I can shank them. I have not finished with the Steely Dan. I have to be careful not to put too much on because they are my sweet tooth.

inev x 2:
Yes Kanye. It will bother most partygoers, but sometimes a man got to take a stand.

lfm:
Guns 'n Roses will probably make this group riot and damage my home. I think Pink Floyd might slow things down too much. For Beck see above.

linn:
I do not think that 5 means what you think it means. Tony's Theme is a great call. There might be more Pearl Jam but probably it will be Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Dock of the Bay or Break on Through. Prince 1000 times yes. Fuck. I do love me some Modest penis, and they live here in PDX so there's a precedent, but Convenient Parking is a bit tough. Kind of like playing some of the Les Claypool stuff, y'know? (Plus these guys are kind of picky because of local bands, on account of they are all musicians and have studios and shit. Like, if anyone has heard of Smegma, I know a guy in that band. Very indie cred. Three people buy his albums. The music played at this party needs to be really popular so it is ironic, or bands that only I have heard sort of.) Probably Peter Gabriel. The other stuff I do not know but will check out.

Judy:
I told you about the jokes, but probably Psycho Killer. Pogues mentioned above. Probably no Springsteen. Madness yes - great call.

Doc:
I know Bloc Party - this is not that kind of party. Maybe something by BNL. I don't know the rest but will see.

s-s:
The Beasties will be tricky to figure, but will probably show up. I like them a lot. There will be some New Wave.

Lister:
On Metafilter they call that eponysterical, that you can't limit your additions to the list. Lots of great stuff on your list. I will probably put on Flashlight in terms of the Mothership. I don't want the party to mellow, so probably not much from the second half. Isley Brothers and Belafonte definitely. Alcohol is a good call. Maybe Alcoholiday by Teenage Fanclub too.

Thanks awfully, everyone, for the help. I knew that it would come together more smoothly and fruitfully with input from you all. I pruned my set so it is about 5:30 right now. Feel free to suggest more if you would like.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 20, 2007, 12:40:36 am
Quote
Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown

YES
YES
YES

this song makes me so happy. when I was working at the supermarket and I got bored, I drummed (quietly) on the cash register and sang it in my head.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: slink on March 20, 2007, 10:06:57 am
If you want some good contemporary blues, check out This is Punk Rock Blues vol I from the Not The Same Old Blues Crap label.
Some samples available (http://www.punkrockblues.co.uk/shop.html) there, though not some of the best tracks, though it does have the Chicken Legs Weaver track which is awesome.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 20, 2007, 02:03:12 pm
If you want some good contemporary blues, check out This is Punk Rock Blues vol I from the Not The Same Old Blues Crap label.
Some samples available (http://www.punkrockblues.co.uk/shop.html) there, though not some of the best tracks, though it does have the Chicken Legs Weaver track which is awesome.

That is nice! I suppose that fellow 'Too Bad' Jim is named after the RL Burnside album?

How much is £9.00 in American scrip?
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Drygioni on March 20, 2007, 11:29:56 pm
Burning Down the House (Stop Making Sense version or otherwise) - Talking Heads
Judy:
I told you about the jokes

Heh, sorry. This was not a joke. Seriously, Burning Down The House is hell of awesome.

Yeah, I should have read your first post properly really. Apologies.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 21, 2007, 06:36:12 am
wow, um, that was not the real video for Ghost Ride It.
this video makes me so happy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHwQYC2haQ)
I mean... they've pimped out a schoolbus. and are teaching a bunch of white people how to ghost ride?
at the end, when he does the little dance that makes his necklace swing around his neck... and then he's coming at the camera and pointing at the necklace, which is a gold bus...
something about the idea of a type of rap where they acknowledge how ridiculous it is and just have fun instead of all that gangsta bullshit is just really wonderful. I also read a quite interesting article about the influence of Ecstasy on the whole scene, which was pretty interesting (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHwQYC2haQ))

PS also the guy making a really serious "thug" face while manipulating a marionette.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: robot_god on March 21, 2007, 07:10:45 am
wow, um, that was not the real video for Ghost Ride It.
this video makes me so happy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHwQYC2haQ)
I mean... they've pimped out a schoolbus. and are teaching a bunch of white people how to ghost ride?
at the end, when he does the little dance that makes his necklace swing around his neck... and then he's coming at the camera and pointing at the necklace, which is a gold bus...
something about the idea of a type of rap where they acknowledge how ridiculous it is and just have fun instead of all that gangsta bullshit is just really wonderful. I also read a quite interesting article about the influence of Ecstasy on the whole scene, which was pretty interesting (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqHwQYC2haQ))

PS also the guy making a really serious "thug" face while manipulating a marionette.

Yeah, the hyphy style seems to be becoming the only relevant style of rap.  But I don't think it's because of ecstasy that the style of rap is shifting (but I didn't read the article, seems like you got a faulty link).  I'd say it's because of the sell-out and decline of 50 Cent coupled with the rise of VH1 reality TV.  50 sold out so hard and became so bad that the rappers that are up-and-coming right now don't even want to be g's.  Since the mid 90's and the rise of gangsta rap, rapping was basically a contest of "who is the thuggest of them all."  And after 15 years 50 pretty much won and shit all over his fans, the industry, and the whole g lifestyle.  It's no longer relevant, why live the thuglife when you can just move out west and get on a reality show?
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 02:57:35 pm
I think each person ought to have mod powers for all threads they start.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 03:18:02 pm
It's sad when your own thread turns on you and stabs you in the eyes.

I take pride in my threads, too. I tend them gently, pruning and watering, heaping up the soil on their tiny roots. And then they are all furious ding-dong on me.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 21, 2007, 04:12:40 pm
..I am sorry for posting the rap video.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 04:48:18 pm
..I am sorry for posting the rap video.

You know what I am deeply, deeply sorry for, and maybe a little bit ashamed of too? I had already seen that video.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2007, 07:36:47 pm
I take pride in my threads, too. I tend them gently, pruning and watering, heaping up the soil on their tiny roots. And then they are all furious ding-dong on me.

Now I want chinese food.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Limmo on March 21, 2007, 07:59:26 pm
At some point, play Iggy's Lust For Life album from front to back. Your party will thank you. 

See also: ZZ Top's Deguello;  Some Girls by the Rolling Stones; the first B-52s album; or Prince's The Hits ( disc two with the dirty songs ).  If there are going to be Substances at this party, try Transmissions From the Satellite Heart by the Flaming Lips.  Wind it all down with Innervisions by Stevie Wonder.  To clear the room, I'd suggest side one of Mortimer by Unkie Dunkie the Baloney Slicer (http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/10/unkie_dunkie_th.html).

See how easy it is?
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 08:12:02 pm
Yes, I should have pointed out that Stevie Wonder is basically my number one artist of all time, so that is just a given.

As far as Unkie Dunkie goes, well . . .

Quote from: that other website
What's up with his bizarre cadence? Is he perhaps an autistic person?
Listening to this, I can't help but picture Rupert Pupkin talking to his imaginary audience in The King of Comedy.
I half feel like it must be some sort of elaborate conceptual art.

My iPod is full now.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 11:44:14 pm
Yeah, someone stole all my ZZ Top.

I'm now thinking it might be all R&B, Funk, etc. Sort of a theme thing.

Isley Bros, James Brown, P-Funk, Stevie Wonder, Ohio Players, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha, Otis Redding, the Miracles, the Temps, Wilson Pickett, Ray Charles, Sly & the Family Stone, Ike & Tina, Four Tops, Spinners, Chi-Lites, Rufus & Chaka Khaaaaan, O'Jays, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Brothers Johnson, Stapole Singers, Dazz Band, Gap Band, Prince, Cameo, Koll & the Gang, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, that sort of thing . . .
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: theinevitable on March 21, 2007, 11:51:45 pm
do this.
people love dancing to this music. Even people my age, who were not born when this music came out, love dancing to this music.

also I am reading a book about the history of Soul, so I am predisposed to support such a concept right now.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: robot_god on March 21, 2007, 11:55:46 pm
I'm now thinking it might be all R&B, Funk, etc. Sort of a theme thing.

Isley Bros, James Brown, P-Funk, Stevie Wonder, Ohio Players, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha, Otis Redding, the Miracles, the Temps, Wilson Pickett, Ray Charles, Sly & the Family Stone, Ike & Tina, Four Tops, Spinners, Chi-Lites, Rufus & Chaka Khaaaaan, O'Jays, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Brothers Johnson, Stapole Singers, Dazz Band, Gap Band, Prince, Cameo, Koll & the Gang, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, that sort of thing . . .

That's for real.  Now you're partyin'.

Superbad.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2007, 11:56:27 pm
Well, when I am home with my lovely wife, we either listen to this sort of stuff or jazz (ie Sinatra, Dino, Blossom Dearie, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Ella, Shirley Horn, etc). I rarely listen to the music I grew up listening to, oddly.

Of course, it's not that restful to continuously be listening to Black Sabbath, Misfits and Motörhead. And they bring a party down a bit, or at least change the vibe. If I do the other thing, I have lots of playlists I can just switch to if it feels like different things are happening with the party.

You know, like when somebody breaks out the coke, it could just be Ministry hour.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: robot_god on March 22, 2007, 02:22:30 am
Well, when I am home with my lovely wife, we either listen to this sort of stuff or jazz (ie Sinatra, Dino, Blossom Dearie, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Ella, Shirley Horn, etc). I rarely listen to the music I grew up listening to, oddly.

Yeah, no doubt about that.  I'm trying to find a woman like that myself, but all the ones I currently know are lesbians.  I don't get it.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Limmo on March 22, 2007, 04:04:22 am
You know, like when somebody breaks out the coke, it could just be Ministry hour.

No, that's when somebody breaks out the bathtub crank. 

When somebody breaks out the coke, it should be skronky not-exactly-funk hour, featuring Defunkt, James White & the Contortions, Gang of Four and the Minutemen.  With one or two Chic songs thrown in for fiber.
Title: Re: Hello party people
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2007, 04:13:37 am
Sometimes when it gets late at our parties, it veers into Oysterhead-land.