Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello party people  (Read 6607 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 03:18:02 pm »

It's sad when your own thread turns on you and stabs you in the eyes.

I take pride in my threads, too. I tend them gently, pruning and watering, heaping up the soil on their tiny roots. And then they are all furious ding-dong on me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 04:12:40 pm »

..I am sorry for posting the rap video.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 04:48:18 pm »

..I am sorry for posting the rap video.

You know what I am deeply, deeply sorry for, and maybe a little bit ashamed of too? I had already seen that video.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 07:36:47 pm »

I take pride in my threads, too. I tend them gently, pruning and watering, heaping up the soil on their tiny roots. And then they are all furious ding-dong on me.

Now I want chinese food.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 07:59:26 pm »

At some point, play Iggy's Lust For Life album from front to back. Your party will thank you. 

See also: ZZ Top's Deguello;  Some Girls by the Rolling Stones; the first B-52s album; or Prince's The Hits ( disc two with the dirty songs ).  If there are going to be Substances at this party, try Transmissions From the Satellite Heart by the Flaming Lips.  Wind it all down with Innervisions by Stevie Wonder.  To clear the room, I'd suggest side one of Mortimer by Unkie Dunkie the Baloney Slicer.

See how easy it is?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 08:12:02 pm »

Yes, I should have pointed out that Stevie Wonder is basically my number one artist of all time, so that is just a given.

As far as Unkie Dunkie goes, well . . .

Quote from: that other website
What's up with his bizarre cadence? Is he perhaps an autistic person?
Listening to this, I can't help but picture Rupert Pupkin talking to his imaginary audience in The King of Comedy.
I half feel like it must be some sort of elaborate conceptual art.

My iPod is full now.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 11:44:14 pm »

Yeah, someone stole all my ZZ Top.

I'm now thinking it might be all R&B, Funk, etc. Sort of a theme thing.

Isley Bros, James Brown, P-Funk, Stevie Wonder, Ohio Players, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha, Otis Redding, the Miracles, the Temps, Wilson Pickett, Ray Charles, Sly & the Family Stone, Ike & Tina, Four Tops, Spinners, Chi-Lites, Rufus & Chaka Khaaaaan, O'Jays, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Brothers Johnson, Stapole Singers, Dazz Band, Gap Band, Prince, Cameo, Koll & the Gang, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, that sort of thing . . .
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 11:51:45 pm »

do this.
people love dancing to this music. Even people my age, who were not born when this music came out, love dancing to this music.

also I am reading a book about the history of Soul, so I am predisposed to support such a concept right now.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 11:55:46 pm »

I'm now thinking it might be all R&B, Funk, etc. Sort of a theme thing.

Isley Bros, James Brown, P-Funk, Stevie Wonder, Ohio Players, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha, Otis Redding, the Miracles, the Temps, Wilson Pickett, Ray Charles, Sly & the Family Stone, Ike & Tina, Four Tops, Spinners, Chi-Lites, Rufus & Chaka Khaaaaan, O'Jays, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Brothers Johnson, Stapole Singers, Dazz Band, Gap Band, Prince, Cameo, Koll & the Gang, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, that sort of thing . . .

That's for real.  Now you're partyin'.

Superbad.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 11:56:27 pm »

Well, when I am home with my lovely wife, we either listen to this sort of stuff or jazz (ie Sinatra, Dino, Blossom Dearie, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Ella, Shirley Horn, etc). I rarely listen to the music I grew up listening to, oddly.

Of course, it's not that restful to continuously be listening to Black Sabbath, Misfits and Motörhead. And they bring a party down a bit, or at least change the vibe. If I do the other thing, I have lots of playlists I can just switch to if it feels like different things are happening with the party.

You know, like when somebody breaks out the coke, it could just be Ministry hour.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 02:22:30 am »

Well, when I am home with my lovely wife, we either listen to this sort of stuff or jazz (ie Sinatra, Dino, Blossom Dearie, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Ella, Shirley Horn, etc). I rarely listen to the music I grew up listening to, oddly.

Yeah, no doubt about that.  I'm trying to find a woman like that myself, but all the ones I currently know are lesbians.  I don't get it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 04:04:22 am »

You know, like when somebody breaks out the coke, it could just be Ministry hour.

No, that's when somebody breaks out the bathtub crank. 

When somebody breaks out the coke, it should be skronky not-exactly-funk hour, featuring Defunkt, James White & the Contortions, Gang of Four and the Minutemen.  With one or two Chic songs thrown in for fiber.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:08:12 am by Limmo »
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hello party people
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2007, 04:13:37 am »

Sometimes when it gets late at our parties, it veers into Oysterhead-land.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up