The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on March 22, 2007, 03:08:48 am

Title: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 22, 2007, 03:08:48 am
1978 Edition. Discard 1/1/79

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03222007
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 22, 2007, 03:10:53 am
Ron is clearly a douche for not participating much.

I mean, it's his job.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 22, 2007, 03:13:15 am
I don't know, a DVD from more than 15 years before they were invented would interest me just a bit, I think.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: MattFish on March 22, 2007, 03:19:54 am
I love the little UNRELEASED label. That cracks me the hell up.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 22, 2007, 03:21:44 am
The plot is advancing. With a comic that makes me laugh 75-80% of the time, I will definitely take a strip that isn't big on the laughs but moves the plot toward bigger laughs. I will take it happily.

The covers of the fake DVDs are... interesting if not exactly funny.

The alt-text gave me a decent chuckle.

Considering it was free, a decent chuckle is pretty good.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2007, 03:24:14 am
The plot is advancing. With a comic that makes me laugh 75-80% of the time, I will definitely take a strip that isn't big on the laughs but moves the plot toward bigger laughs. I will take it happily.

The covers of the fake DVDs are... interesting if not exactly funny.

The alt-text gave me a decent chuckle.

Considering it was free, a decent chuckle is pretty good.

Totally agree about the alt-text. Before I read I kind of noticed that Ron's name seemed a little smaller but it didn't totally register.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: littlefox on March 22, 2007, 03:37:09 am
Why is Pat being so agreeable? Maybe next strip he'll start being anal and try to take over.

Edit: Also, I like the picture of Whimsington.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2007, 03:42:52 am
Funniest detail about this strip for me: the fact that the porn actors are identified only by exceedingly common first name, as if all gay porn aficionados were just on a casual, first-name basis with these guys.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 22, 2007, 03:44:05 am
Pat is agreeable because he smells money.

Also, because he will be flush in jack-off films as a side effect of the money.

Everyone wins. Pat's greedy side AND his gay side.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Limmo on March 22, 2007, 03:56:00 am
Some old British lady's going to rent these and have a heart attack when she pops them in the DVD player. 
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: RMJ12345 on March 22, 2007, 04:01:46 am
Yeah, if someone slapped down a DVD with what looks like Walt Whitman's doppleganger on the cover, my interest would be peaked, AND I would probably think it was gay porn. 18th

I mean, I wonder if Ray discovered WW was gay, and went back in time to create fake covers for Leaves of Grass?

(http://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/1898/img/whitman.jpg)

I mean, that just screams "Dang, I never thought it would be like this! A guy is rocking my can!" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08162006) 
Ray needs to cover for those confused or ashamed 18th century Pats.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: chuanoplast on March 22, 2007, 04:47:03 am
What would a fake cover for Leaves of Grass even look like? A book with no title and a lithograph of a square inside a circle?
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: AugustWest on March 22, 2007, 04:59:18 am
I have no idea whether this strip is funny or not (which would tend to indicate that it isn't...)  but DANG, Onstad may be on to a good business plan here. 

Also, it makes me wonder about all those movies I can't imagine anybody renting at the Video Vault.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: coldfrog on March 22, 2007, 08:33:17 am
I don't know about "getting" the strip, but the humor I find comes from the arbitrariness of the labels and titles on these things.  It seems very Python-esque.  Just select something that seems obscurely respectable and stick a little gay porn inside, and voila!  Instant nonsense!

However, if he IS specifically trying to make fun of something, my guess is the way that a lot of popular movies these days like to add to their labels things like "Unrated Version" and "1100 never before seen special features and commentary with the head gaffer" and such things as if to suggest that these things actually make the movie better, let alone worth paying anything to watch.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: pmcd9 on March 22, 2007, 11:25:21 am
Pat is agreeable because he smells money.

Pat is agreeable because he is still embarrassed by his gayness and somewhat timid therefore.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: dejavroom on March 22, 2007, 12:49:34 pm
I have no idea whether this strip is funny or not

Any strip that leads to discussing fake pornographic covers of Leaves of Grass has my Ok...

But what I wanted to say is... my God Onstad is a visual genius (I'm not fandrooling here [I just made that up], this is a distanced and reasoned evaluation) Last strip, when they show the first DVD cover with the dog, I couldn't... I mean I really couldn't even stare too long at it to try and get the joke, it was so painstakingly lame... the dog with that vague 70's cartoony feeling, that was a masterstroke, I was already in the "no-care" zone right there. Ve-ry good...
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: wombat on March 22, 2007, 12:49:55 pm
I don't know, a DVD from more than 15 years before they were invented would interest me just a bit, I think.

Oooh, good point.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 22, 2007, 01:18:40 pm
Some old British lady's Cornelius is going to rent these and have a heart attack when she be slightly bewildered and amused when he pops them in the DVD player. 
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Doc Benway on March 22, 2007, 05:02:32 pm

I suspect Cornelius would have to fight against the urge to close caption it
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Drastic Action on March 22, 2007, 05:28:46 pm
But it's already double subtitled.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: hammish on March 22, 2007, 06:17:58 pm
I originally mis-read the note on the DVD label as: "WARNING: STEVE, ANDY, Ron"

It made me wonder if they weren't part of some obscure pr0n rating system.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 22, 2007, 06:29:23 pm
If I had little trophies to spare and could send them out to the internet, you would win the little trophy for Scariest User Icon, hammish. Welcome aboard. This talent is not unappreciated.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 22, 2007, 07:01:24 pm
If I had little trophies to spare and could send them out to the internet, you would win the little trophy for Scariest User Icon, hammish. Welcome aboard. This talent is not unappreciated.

If we ever have a 2006 Touambies, he'd win the 2007 ones.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Drastic Action on March 22, 2007, 07:28:37 pm
Indeed, that is frightening.

Also, what is with that HOT PICK thing -- is it a tag sticking up off the top?  I have never seen a tape with something like that.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: jaydub on March 22, 2007, 08:47:38 pm
Canned by proxy for LFM
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: jaydub on March 22, 2007, 08:51:18 pm
a lot of popular movies these days like to add to their labels things like "Unrated Version" and "1100 never before seen special features and commentary with the head gaffer" and such things as if to suggest that these things actually make the movie better, let alone worth paying anything to watch.

Let alone, buy again after having dropped a chunk of change 4 years previously on the same title.  They should consider upgrade fees somehow.  And not going in and having Greedo fire first, hence changing the essential personality of a central character. [/bitter]
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: otter on March 22, 2007, 09:12:44 pm
Hey, it actually works!  At least, in the sense that I accidentally read "Whimsington Stroke" for "Whimsington Storke." 

The alt text and the last panel made me crack up.  I wonder if Belforan Mews comes in a box-set (also, what's actually inside it?  Guy-on-hoss?  Guy-on-hoss-on-busboy?  Guy-on-hoss in the sense of a dude just riding around on a hoss, having a grand old time?).
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 22, 2007, 09:55:03 pm
Under the right conditions, Id watch a movie about whimsical storkes.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: hammish on March 22, 2007, 10:52:33 pm
If we ever have a 2006 Touambies, he'd win the 2007 ones.

Many thanks. Long-time reader / first-time poster etc... Were I to win such an award, I'd blush profusely and donate all proceeds to PAWS (from Anon Y. Mous, in thanks to STEVE, ANDY (ron)).
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: iron_felix on March 22, 2007, 10:57:27 pm
It was my understanding that the 2006 Touambies were cancelled in the aftermath of the Great Outdoor Fight, like the 1946 World Cup.  Or perhaps John T. Brush raised objections about the way nominations were handled the year before.  We could have a ceremony this summer, like the Intercalated Olympics, assuming people are bored enough.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 23, 2007, 12:58:16 am
Can for mentioning the Intercalated Olympics.
Title: Re: March 22, 2007 - All For the Love of Belforan Mews
Post by: hound on March 23, 2007, 04:42:03 am
damo suzuki lol