The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: robot_god on March 26, 2007, 08:04:04 pm
-
Raisin bread. Can it compare to regular bread?
-
No. But PECAN-raisin bread - now that's worth eating.
-
A salami sandwich made with raisin bread actually sounds really delicious. But this is from the person that eats avocados on blueberry bagels.
As for raisin bread itself, it can never compare with delicious red bean bread, lightly toasted.
-
I am a fan of all things raisin. Oatmeal raisin cookies, raisin bread, raisin bran - you can't beat it.
-
Blueberry bagels are an abomination no matter what you put on them. A sign of the decline of civilization in general. What the hell, people - bagels are not muffins!
I like raisins in their place but I hate when they are sneaked into things they don't belong in. Apple strudel, say, or rice pudding.
-
The best is raisins in cole slaw.
-
I am a fan of all things raisin. Oatmeal raisin cookies, raisin bread, raisin bran - you can't beat it.
Soft oatmeal raisin cookies are the platonic ideal of raisin usage. Yogurt raisins would be up there if they didn't have 78% of your saturated fat.
-
I've always hated cooked rasins in anything. Don't like em in bread, puddings, always think cookies would be better off without them... The only way I tolerate rasins is uncooked - maybe in a trial mix. But I'm not a fan. Their just so shrivelled and dead.
-
raisins... I do not like them.
Bagels...are best plain. With Cream Cheese or Butter... or both.
But I really like Potato Bagels... those things are grelicious.
At home, I eat bagel sandwiches constantly. They are lovely.
but raisins, no. Speaking of them putting things where they don't belong: peas in tuna salad. No way Jose am I eating that.
-
The best is raisins in cole slaw.
NOOOOOOOOOO
OMG I hope I don't ever get served such a thing without realizing it, I will jump to the conclusion that it has bugs it in and it will be SO GROSS.
-
Put some rosemary in with it, and some pine nuts maybe. Possibly use a little polenta flour to help the texture.
I like making bread...
Plus, I think the best use of raisins (and sultanas) is in makhani murgh, but that might just be me!
-
I am across the board not a fan of raisins.
But I AM a fan of onion bagels with CUNT cream cheese.
-
I am often surprised by myself when I find myself liking something with raisins in it. My default raisin preference is "no".
I used to be all snobby about bagels - you know, basically that eating a bagel should be a form of penance or something, but eventually I decided that bagels and pizza are in the same culinary tradition: foods that originated as something specific in an ethnic cuisine, and have been elevated to something greater by popularity. I like the various cheese-caramelized ones, with Monterey being a favourite.
-
But I AM a fan of onion bagels with CUNT cream cheese.
OH GOD
You are just saying that to jerk my chain, right?
And what could possibly be penitential about a good bagel of a normal flavor with good plain cream cheese? Oh, these kids today.
-
Just for Wombat, I'll try my hardest not to mention the horrible culinary Frankenstein's monsters that I occasionally eat. Because, while the average person would just vomit, Wombat would either psychically eliminate my stomach or weep forever.
Blueberry bagels are an abomination no matter what you put on them. A sign of the decline of civilization in general.
I am like that mad scientist that creates a horrible creature that terrifies all, except with food.
-
Bagels are not a dessert. They are not a game. It is like beer. What the HELL, people? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10222002)
-
Chalk me up to the "muffins should have sweet flavors, bagels should have savory flavors, and never the twain shall meet" school of thought. A good onion bagel with plain cream cheese is heavenly, but once you start getting cinnamon and berries all up in their it goes to pot real, real fast.
-
Chalk me up to the "muffins should have sweet flavors, bagels should have savory flavors, and never the twain shall meet" school of thought. A good onion bagel with plain cream cheese is heavenly, but once you start getting cinnamon and berries all up in their it goes to pot real, real fast.
Arguably, someone, somewhere, went to pot first, and that's where we got all these cinnamon and berry bagel creations.
-
There is no jerking of chains going on.
I love an onion bagel with CUNT cream cheese... and, depending on the particular interpretation of "everything", oh MAN is an everything bagel with CUNT cream cheese good. Oh Lord. I picked this habit up at truck stop Dunkin Donuts and it is pretty much the best hangover food this side of a Tommy burger.
Or... that side, I guess. Ain't many Dunkins out here.
-
I'm an everything bagel guy. Sweet bagels do not do it for me. Raisins are just all right with me.
Oh, and put some lox or salmon cream cheese on that everything bagel, if you please...
-
I like a whole wheat bagel with a half-serving of CUNT cream cheese. Becaust most bagel places put like 3/4 cup of cream cheese on your bagel for some reason.
Ooo, or a heart attack: a bagel with hot roast beef, provolone, and bacon with mayo. No lettuce or tomato.
-
Egg bagels, toasted, with butter. Or almond butter, if I need more protein.
-
I refuse to eat Raisin Bread ever since I chipped a tooth on a piece of it. fuck*ng terrible stuff, that.
-
Wait, you're saying you chipped a tooth on a raisin?
Maybe you should drink more milk or something...
-
We used to toast raisin bread and slather it with honey and peanut butter. Of course, it tastes better when you wish you were dead.
-
Of course, it tastes better when you wish you were dead.
Doesn't everything?
-
Wait, you're saying you chipped a tooth on a raisin?
Maybe you should drink more milk or something...
there was some sort of Foreign Body in the bread, like gravel.
-
there was some sort of Foreign Body in the bread, like gravel.
Oh. OK then...
-
You know, that sort of thing used to happen to me all the time when I was a young'in living with my folks. It never happens now I'm all grown up and shopping for my own bread. Either food quality has gotten better, or my mom used to drive around following overloaded bread trucks and snagging the stuff that fell in the ditch.
-
I love cinnamon-raisin bagels. I can not abide the chocolate chip ones, and they tend to disguise themselves as each other on Bagel Mondays here at the office. It means I have to view Bagels Which I Might Put Back from an uncomfortably close position, and so I kind of feel like I am unintentionally weirding out the people behind me in line.
I used to enjoy onion bagels, but I've recently developed a particular aversion to burned bits of dried onion. So, no go there.
-
I don't mind what variety my bagel is as long as I can put an obscene amount of avocado on it.
(This policy extends to many, many things, not all of them edible.)
-
Rutabagas, is it possible for two people to have the exact same taste buds? If it is, that's awesome. If not, I want my tongue back!
-
Oh, yes. Avocado. Avocados are like little food gifts. I don't even care what else is in a sushi maki. If it has avocado in it, I want it. I've actually never had avocado on a bagel, but it sounds perfect. I'll have to give it a go some time. Avocados are sort of expensive up here (usually $1 each), so it's not often I buy one.
-
We are all like gigantic featherless quetzal birds (http://library.thinkquest.org/5952/graphics/quetzal.jpg) with hands because of our love for avocados.
-
Oh, yes. Avocado. Avocados are like little food gifts. I don't even care what else is in a sushi maki. If it has avocado in it, I want it. I've actually never had avocado on a bagel, but it sounds perfect. I'll have to give it a go some time. Avocados are sort of expensive up here (usually $1 each), so it's not often I buy one.
Man o man I'll smear that grean grease on anything and choke it down. Or salt & lemon it and hack it out with a spoon, no alternate delivery medium necessary.
ALSO: My neighbors farm 'em and have 'bout 3 jillion trees worth. Makes 'em free and easy, but you have to put up with Kalipornia for the pleasure.
We are all like gigantic featherless quetzal birds (http://library.thinkquest.org/5952/graphics/quetzal.jpg) with hands because of our love for avocados.
I love you guys. Avocados... jeez, those are grelicious. Kellichou's favorite boba tea is an avocado slush.
-
Kellichou's favorite boba tea is an avocado slush.
I love avocados but I don' know what that means and I am a little freaked by what I am picturing.
-
I love avocados but I don' know what that means and I am a little freaked by what I am picturing.
Don't be afraid! Boba tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea) is this frikkin' awesome drink that I believe originated in Taiwan. It is tea with Gummi-bear-like beads at the bottom. These chewy things are called boba, and they are made from tapioca starch. You drink the tea through an extra-big straw and suck up boba. You sip and chew the drink. It's awesome. There's a picture of a boba tea drink here (http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/26/59/23045926.jpg).
-
I like Bubble Tea, but not the Tapioca balls. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but my experience is that they are much harder than a gummie bear, and also flavourless and all-round not enjoyable. They are fun to shoot out of the straw like little BB's though. I have enjoyed doing that before.
In Indonesia they treat the Avocado as a fruit and serve a drink of Avocado "juice" and sweetened condensed milk. I really wanted to try one, but those street vendors basically have no standards of cleanliness, and I'd heard lots of warnings about the food only being "safe" for the Indonesian gut.
-
I like Bubble Tea, but not the Tapioca balls. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but my experience is that they are much harder than a gummie bear, and also flavourless and all-round not enjoyable. They are fun to shoot out of the straw like little BB's though. I have enjoyed doing that before.
In Indonesia they treat the Avocado as a fruit and serve a drink of Avocado "juice" and sweetened condensed milk. I really wanted to try one, but those street vendors basically have no standards of cleanliness, and I'd heard lots of warnings about the food only being "safe" for the Indonesian gut.
Mel! I think I may have the solution here. Get "jelly" the next time you get a boba tea instead of "boba". It is basically little squares of Gummi bears, and they're always soft and delicious. I bet you will love it. I order my boba drinks with half boba and half rainbow (various fruit flavoured) jelly. They have "aloe vera" flavoured jelly where I get my tea! I've never tried it though. I have drank bottled Aloe Vera Gel to help my tummy, though, and it's slightly bitter and refreshing. I would kill for coconut jelly. That would be superb.
Yeah...the Indonesian drink you describe...I'm sure that they would use local water in its preparation and therefore it would be unsafe for non-locals to consume.
-
Fun Fact: Boba is actually slang for "big breasts" in Taiwan, if my aunts are to be believed. They always snicker whenever my brother and I order boba at a restaurant.
And if you guys like boba and jelly inside of your drinks, or even if you don't, you should try shave ice (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/dining/10ices.html?pagewanted=print) with jelly and fresh fruit. I have no idea what the appeal of eating a mound of ice shavings covered in random sweets is, but if you like your desserts cold, you'll love shave ice. And if you eat too much, you'll actually start shivering, even in the middle of summer.
-
Ah, yes - I had shaved ice in Jakarta a few times. It was sweet and had beans and jelly stuff floating in it, which I was totally not into, but it was so unbelievably hot that I didn't care. I mean it could have had an eye ball in it and I'd still have had some. It was so hot and humid that my glasses steamed up due to breathing and my shirt (made of that fabric that looks intentionally wrinkled) un-wrinkled and more than doubled in size.
-
Yeah, I have had bubble tea before, but the avocado part?
-
Yeah, I have had bubble tea before, but the avocado part?
An avocado milkshake - dude, if you like avocados, you haven't lived until you've had an avocado milkshake. Just make a vanilla milkshake and throw in some cubed avocado, and blend until smooth. In some parts of the world, such as the Indonesian drink that s_s described, avocados are mixed with sugar and milk as a dessert.
-
They have "aloe vera" flavoured jelly where I get my tea! I've never tried it though. I have drank bottled Aloe Vera Gel to help my tummy, though, and it's slightly bitter and refreshing. I would kill for coconut jelly. That would be superb.
Does this actually work? The only aloe-related beverage I ever had was that Trader Joe's aloe drink, and it actually hurt to drink; to quote Kibo, it tasted "like bees in convenient liquid form." (http://www.kibo.com/kibofood/index.html#DONTDRINK) (To be fair, Kibo states that it might have been the ginseng that made it sting.) I just can't picture drinking aloe ever being a good idea.
Of course, I also really don't like solids/gels suspended in liquid, unless it's ice chips, so boba tea is not for me.
-
Does this actually work? The only aloe-related beverage I ever had was that Trader Joe's aloe drink, and it actually hurt to drink; to quote Kibo, it tasted "like bees in convenient liquid form." (http://www.kibo.com/kibofood/index.html#DONTDRINK) (To be fair, Kibo states that it might have been the ginseng that made it sting.) I just can't picture drinking aloe ever being a good idea.
Of course, I also really don't like solids/gels suspended in liquid, unless it's ice chips, so boba tea is not for me.
Wait, whuh? They put ginseng in an aloe drink? That is hella weird.
For people who have IBS and other Tummy Trouble such as ulcers, drinking bottled aloe vera gel or juice will help soothe your ravaged GI tract. They have to specially process the aloe to remove the bitter compounds that the plant created to help prevent other animals from eating it. If you mix it with ingredients like cayenne or ginseng or other GI Irritants, you've just negated the soothing properties.
-
An avocado milkshake - dude, if you like avocados, you haven't lived until you've had an avocado milkshake. Just make a vanilla milkshake and throw in some cubed avocado, and blend until smooth. In some parts of the world, such as the Indonesian drink that s_s described, avocados are mixed with sugar and milk as a dessert.
I don't know, this just sounds sooo wrong.
-
For people who have IBS and other Tummy Trouble such as ulcers, drinking bottled aloe vera gel or juice will help soothe your ravaged GI tract.
And for youngsters who just feel like eating aloe gel, they sell cups of jello with huge chunks of aloe suspended inside.
-
I have seen these aloe drinks - both plain and with jelly cubes semi-suspended - for sale, and always wondered why anyone would drink them. This makes sense though (the soothing aspect) as I used to use my aloe plants for skin problems. Until my cats ate them. They hella love eating aloe vera plants and any other succulents or tender plants they can reach. I sit next to a huge, thriving lemon tree in my office as I write this - one of the only plants I don't have to place out of reach of their tiny mouths. If they weren't wearing cute little fur suits those bastards would be smacked I tell you. It's their damn fuzz that allows them to get away with shit.