The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on March 27, 2007, 02:58:15 am

Title: Community
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 27, 2007, 02:58:15 am
So in the past couple weeks I've heard a mention of Touambies and a chat room. What happened to these things? Is there enough cohesion to make these things happen again?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 27, 2007, 03:19:36 am
There's cohesiveness enough for anything to happen if only a member has sufficient interest and drive to take the lead on it.  Hint fuck*ng hint hint.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2007, 03:31:49 am
Periodically I am drunk enough to post on something like this. You know, like this.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: side_show on March 27, 2007, 03:53:13 am
Oh yeah, now that I have a new system that works, I am so there.  I have a bottle of gin quietly waiting in a cupboard for that very day.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 27, 2007, 04:26:16 am
Periodically I am drunk enough to post on something like this. You know, like this.

What are you trying to say?  Are you saying I'm drunk?  Is that what you're saying?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2007, 04:28:08 am
What are you trying to say?  Are you saying I'm drunk?  Is that what you're saying?

I . . . can't remember what I was saying.


I love you.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 27, 2007, 04:32:34 am
I . . . can't remember what I was saying.


I love you.

I love you too.

Also, I am drunk.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: theinevitable on March 27, 2007, 04:54:15 am
goddamn. All this drinking on a Monday night.

...I want to make a joke about getting ideas, but I don't really have any alcohol on hand unless I go ask the guys down the hall for some. And, you know, if you ask a guy for a beer...

I don't know where it goes from there. I guess you end up owing him a beer.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 27, 2007, 04:57:41 am
goddamn. All this drinking on a Monday night.

...I want to make a joke about getting ideas, but I don't really have any alcohol on hand unless I go ask the guys down the hall for some. And, you know, if you ask a guy for a beer...

I don't know where it goes from there. I guess you end up owing him a beer.

I am stinking. It is time for bed.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: pmcd9 on March 27, 2007, 05:03:34 am
A-CAP, funny you should mention wanting to revive the TOUAMBies.  That was AlohaDawg's baby.  AlohaDawg isn't around very much anymore.  I hate to draw a comparison because I know AlohaDawg, i've posted alongside AlohaDawg.  A-CAP, you Sir are no AlohaDawg.  However, you are the new token right winger of the board so maybe it's appropriate for you to take the ball and run with this thing.

Wanna learn about the TOUAMBies?  look here (http://touamb.com/index.php/board,17.0.html).

Cheers!
Title: Re: Community
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 27, 2007, 05:05:13 am
I have secret pockets of Heineken Light in the fridge that only I know about.

That is pretty much how I get drunk.

I, too, love the idea of a not-too-serious awards show and would definitely approve of one.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: wombat on March 27, 2007, 12:28:20 pm
Sometimes I miss the chat room.  Soon I am going to be at least half-unemployed and plan to waste a lot of time sitting in the backyard with the laptop and the wireless internet in the nice spring weather.

Didn't Bobby say the chat room still existed?  We just have to remember how to connect to it?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 27, 2007, 12:44:30 pm
Didn't Bobby say the chat room still existed?  We just have to remember how to connect to it?

This sounds so much like a middlingly-obscure pop culture reference that my brain is trying to place it even though my rational mind is almost sure it isn't one.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: CortJstr on March 27, 2007, 12:53:45 pm
Didn't Bobby say the chat room still existed?  We just have to remember how to connect to it?

This sounds so much like a middlingly-obscure pop culture reference that my brain is trying to place it even though my rational mind is almost sure it isn't one.

The chat room has been inside you the whole time! The feather was never really magic, it was always you!
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Doc on March 28, 2007, 11:10:44 am
The chat room has been inside you the whole time! The feather was never really magic, it was always you!

A can for doing the joke well before I got a chance to do it poorly.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Teatime on March 28, 2007, 09:05:11 pm
For seriously, though, a chat room sounds pretty rocking.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: iron_felix on March 28, 2007, 10:12:57 pm
That was AlohaDawg's baby.  AlohaDawg isn't around very much anymore.  I hate to draw a comparison because I know AlohaDawg, i've posted alongside AlohaDawg.  A-CAP, you Sir are no AlohaDawg.

...That was uncalled for, Paul.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2007, 10:20:34 pm
...That was uncalled for, Paul.

What are you talking about, that was funny as hell.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: iron_felix on March 28, 2007, 10:35:32 pm
Yeah, I know.  I was just going along with it by paraphrasing Quayle's response to Bentsen.  Sorry if that wasn't as clear as I had hoped.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: pmcd9 on March 28, 2007, 10:55:50 pm
Oh damn I dropped the ball there.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 29, 2007, 12:43:31 am
No, really, it was uncalled for. Im serious. Whats the point in going out of your way to tell someone they are less than someone else? that even comparing them to the other person is an insult to a guy who isnt even involved in the conversation?

Texas is the reason that the President's dead.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2007, 01:12:07 am
No, really, it was uncalled for. Im serious. Whats the point in going out of your way to tell someone they are less than someone else? that even comparing them to the other person is an insult to a guy who isnt even involved in the conversation?

It was a joke, don't get your self-esteem in a bunch.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 29, 2007, 01:15:52 am
Dude, what the fuck is going on around here? Waves of trolls and a bunch of noobs with skin so thin Kwai Chang Caine couldn't walk on it without leaving a mark.

I never thought you needed particularly strong sack to play in this sandbox. A-CAP, nut up.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: theinevitable on March 29, 2007, 01:21:51 am
complaining frequently about how often other people get upset about things... seems kind of... oxymoronic? ironic? I am not sure. Being told "you're like my friend, except you aren't as good as him at all." is kind of harsh.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 29, 2007, 01:28:49 am
I didn't misspell that, did I?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: linnea on March 29, 2007, 02:10:17 am
Dude, what the fuck is going on around here? Waves of trolls and a bunch of noobs with skin so thin Kwai Chang Caine couldn't walk on it without leaving a mark.

I never thought you needed particularly strong sack to play in this sandbox. A-CAP, nut up.
kew eff tee

(quoted for truth)
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 29, 2007, 02:12:48 am
Feeling childish and immature, I ask that no one give me an additional can.


Ooooh!
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2007, 02:43:41 am
(http://www.tvacres.com/images/wanted_poster.jpg)

You don't say!
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2007, 03:00:50 am
For seriously, though, a chat room sounds pretty rocking.

I'm in there now.

WJOE server, #touamb room
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Nabubrush on March 29, 2007, 03:02:23 am
Who is the fuck*ng cock who stole my can? Dub?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: AugustWest on March 29, 2007, 03:04:33 am
Who is the fuck*ng cock who stole my can? Dub?

From you?  Never.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 29, 2007, 03:46:22 am
WJOE?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: linnea on March 29, 2007, 03:49:36 am
irc...wait a minute. You don't wanna come in here anyway, it's a bunch of bleeding heart liberals anyway.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Doc on March 29, 2007, 07:18:07 am
I miss tha sugah rain. (did i get that one right?)
Title: Re: Community
Post by: V-Adore on March 29, 2007, 07:50:14 am
I miss tha sugah rain. (did i get that one right?)

GREAT BOARDING IS NOT A CRIME

THA SUGAH RAIN -- NEVAH FOHGET
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 29, 2007, 11:41:52 am
Well, at least we got an ironic thread title out of that little spat.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: side_show on March 29, 2007, 05:04:31 pm
Quote from: pmcd9
A-CAP, funny you should mention wanting to revive the TOUAMBies.  That was AlohaDawg's baby.  AlohaDawg isn't around very much anymore.  I hate to draw a comparison because I know AlohaDawg, i've posted alongside AlohaDawg.  A-CAP, you Sir are no AlohaDawg.  However, you are the new token right winger of the board so maybe it's appropriate for you to take the ball and run with this thing.

Wanna learn about the TOUAMBies?  look here.

Cheers!


No, really, it was uncalled for. Im serious. Whats the point in going out of your way to tell someone they are less than someone else? that even comparing them to the other person is an insult to a guy who isnt even involved in the conversation?

But dahlink, he didn't say you were less than AD, just that you are not him.  Being differentiated from AD is not a bad thing - AD, though a very valuable member of the board, is drastically opposite to the majority of the other members of this board in his politics (i.e. he was our token right winger), but he's busy raising his daughters and working his ass off, so he's not around much anymore.  In his post, Paul recognizes what some of us mod's and old-timey posters are already thinking - you are similar to, but not exactly like AD.  No one can replace AD- though we rarely agreed, he was a friend to us here, and when a new friend appears, we pause to remind ourselves that they are not replacements for those who are gone.  In a world where only strings of letters artfully arrange can differentiate one person from another, Paul is inviting you to "take the ball and run with this thing"  i.e. fill a little hole in our community (hey!  back on topic!  sort of!) that feels very empty now that AD's gone.  Being called a token anything on a message board community is sort of a good thing - it means you've successfully forged an identity in people's minds beyond the blah, blah, blah of type.  I'm the token Canadian.  No problem.  Paul and the rest of the people to come here to talk about cartoon cats and alive stuffed animals all seem to grasp pretty clearly that my identity reaches beyond that. 

But really, if you can't handle a gentle chide,  you better protect yourself by escaping now.  You are welcome here, your contrasting views are of value, are interesting, will likely spark good conversation, etc. but when you post something in opposition to what most of us are thinking, you'll need to be aware that both poking-fun and intellectual discourse may arise.  Don't takes things so seriously - we're here for the funny.

Back on topic:

I  got mIRC installed, and popped by #toumb, but no one was home.  But I know it's the middle of the day on a Thursday.  Is it time to announce another TOUAMBIE IRC event?  (I'm such a dork, I'm such a dork, I'm such a dork, dork, dork!.... hee hee!)  Perhaps a specific day and time?  Are most of us at our computers on Sundays or some other day?  What about a specific reason?  April Fools?  Or have a Mr. Munchy chocolate bunny eating event?  Or each come with a story related to being a Fool, and compete for boards biggest fool?  Or some better idea?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: jough on March 30, 2007, 12:41:55 pm
A-CAP, grow some balls.  Whoever said to man-up above was right, man.  The level of faggotry around here has increased exponentially lately.

(I'm not talking to you, ladies - go about your business getting together having pillow fights and ripping each others' pajamas off - at least that's what you're all always doing whenever my thoughts turn boardward)

I think I'm done with IRC, at least for a while, but it's nice that all ya'll are getting together there again so you can taunt the bots and not type anything in the window for hours at a time.

COMMUNITY
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 30, 2007, 03:11:16 pm
And remember... you can't spell COMMUNITY without UNITY.

...or OMMU.

or IT.

or MUN.

You can spell it without thinking, though. if you practice enough. Just believe!

On chat rooms: When I'm online I typically have several chat windows open while I do other stuff, just to have people to talk to periodically as the mood strikes me. So a TOUAMB chat room would be treated the same way, at least in my case. I'd enjoy yapping with you guys in real time. Just point me in the right direction. Typically I'm online in the evenings. *shrug*
Title: Re: Community
Post by: smick on March 30, 2007, 03:33:46 pm
MoF, we are alike in this regard.   I connect to three different IRC networks, to do mostly what I do on this board.

Sit quietly, watch, and sternly judge.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: jaydub on March 30, 2007, 08:30:41 pm
MoF, we are alike in this regard.   I connect to three different IRC networks, to do mostly what I do on this board.

Sit quietly, watch, and sternly judge.
Ah-ha!  So that's what you're doing in your avatar pic.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Muse_Of_Fire on March 30, 2007, 08:48:04 pm
Heh. Almost. I prefer to sit quietly, watch, and giggle.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: smick on March 31, 2007, 01:10:28 am
Ah-ha!  So that's what you're doing in your avatar pic.

Hah!  Yes... it's actually a live webcam.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: jaydub on March 31, 2007, 01:36:19 am
Hah!  Yes... it's actually a live webcam.
You have attained stillness.  Some Tibetan monks will be there shortly to announce your divinity.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 31, 2007, 11:43:22 am
Try and get them in frame. That'd really be a moment.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: side_show on April 02, 2007, 01:07:55 pm
Back on topic, from the IRC, Clotho, whoever you are, you are welcome here, please post if you will.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: linnea on April 02, 2007, 02:57:19 pm
Back on topic, from the IRC, Clotho, whoever you are, you are welcome here, please post if you will.

I think he's a friend of Doc.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Doc on April 03, 2007, 07:15:44 am
Indeed he is, nicely deduced. He's lurking around somewhere.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Clotho on April 27, 2007, 01:11:02 pm
Yes I'm still here :D

What happened to the channel?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: smick on April 27, 2007, 02:50:21 pm
Quote
< mfarah> restarting the server

After that... only silence.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 27, 2007, 05:16:57 pm
After that... only silence.

We had a problem. The server will be up in a few days.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: side_show on April 27, 2007, 07:50:00 pm
Yes I'm still here :D

What happened to the channel?

Clotho!  You came!

Doc! From my chat with Clotho I now know you're from Brisbane, which I failed to realize before.  I was trying to tell Clotho about my two friends from Brisbane (who I met in Indonesia) when IRC cut out.  Long story short:  I have two wonderful friends from Brisbane, and together they made a great film called Chinese Take Away, which I highly recommend. 
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Doc on April 28, 2007, 07:17:07 am
Coolies, I'll see if I can find it.
I meant to ask about the proportion of aussies at that thing. Being so close I had to figure there was more than a couple.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 28, 2007, 12:30:40 pm
The server may be down as long as Monday or Tuesday ET.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: side_show on April 28, 2007, 03:57:50 pm
At the same time, my free mIRC trial has expired.  Anyone have any suggestions about this - is it worth it to pay the $20 for the life time membership, or is there another option I should look into?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 28, 2007, 06:58:14 pm
There are many different IRC programmes, many of which are completely free.

I do not know where they are as... I stopped being one of those people who is ahead of the curve internet-technologically somewhere around the summer of 1997... but they are definitely out there.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: linnea on April 28, 2007, 08:59:47 pm
There are many different IRC programmes, many of which are completely free.

I do not know where they are as... I stopped being one of those people who is ahead of the curve internet-technologically somewhere around the summer of 1997... but they are definitely out there.

I prefer Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc/) because it's an all-in-one messaging center (IRC, AIM, ICQ, MSN messenger),. It's great.

mIRC (http://www.mirc.com/) is also great for a standalone IRC client.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Doc on April 29, 2007, 01:49:22 am
I can't seem to get trillian to play nice with Bobby's irc channel so I use Chatzilla (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/rt-messaging/chatzilla/) which is a plugin for any mozilla/firefox/netscape browser. If you're not using firefox... do. Seriously.

In other news, mIRC has a free trial period? I thought that stuff was straight up free.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: wombat on April 29, 2007, 02:05:29 am
I actually paid for mIRC because Chatzilla stopped working for me when we were on the old channel.  But when we switched to Bobby's I happily went back.  Chatzilla seems more straightforward and I also find it easier to read - as I recall, there were many options but I could never get mIRC into a layout or font or whatever that I was happy with.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 03, 2007, 05:41:15 am
IRC is back, though the bots will be back tomorrow.

In better news, the new improved non-melted server doesn't disconnect  randomly so most third party IRC clients like Trillian should work.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: linnea on May 03, 2007, 06:00:15 am
I can't seem to get trillian to play nice with Bobby's irc channel so I use Chatzilla (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/rt-messaging/chatzilla/) which is a plugin for any mozilla/firefox/netscape browser. If you're not using firefox... do. Seriously.

In other news, mIRC has a free trial period? I thought that stuff was straight up free.

The last time I used mIRC, it was always free...there is a polite message when you start it up that this is not freeware and to please kindly consider making a donation to the guy who coded it. It doesn't stop working, you just get a reminder message every time you start up...from what I remember. He might have changed it?
Title: Re: Community
Post by: theinevitable on May 05, 2007, 08:25:40 pm
people, did you miss the part where he said it is back? Come on! *half-heartedly attempts to lead a cheer*
Title: Re: Community
Post by: side_show on May 06, 2007, 04:21:00 am
I am sitting in there right now.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: theinevitable on May 06, 2007, 05:13:36 am
I got real sad, because I came back from visiting people down the hall to see that you had left like 30 seconds before, smells.

so sad.
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Alternate on May 06, 2007, 05:29:39 am
I think I'm in the chat room now.  I've never done this before, so I could be mistaken.  Also, it might be late at night in most relevant places, so maybe no one is around anyway.  But I will sit in what might be a chat room for a bit, while the night potentially gets later. 
Title: Re: Community
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 07, 2007, 11:52:41 am
it is better if you all just idle there forever