The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on March 29, 2007, 09:43:27 pm

Title: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 29, 2007, 09:43:27 pm
It looks like weve used slashnet in the past and I am now in vortex.slashnet.org #TOUAMB. Let me know if this is wrong.
Also, I'll be reading the archives to see how to get the TOUAMBIES deal going. I guess it could happen in a couple weeks?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2007, 03:36:17 am
I have interest, and I think maybe other people do too, but I have no technical know how what so ever.  There is a #toumb channel in IRC that I've checked a few times today after installing mIRC, but I seem to remember this being an old dead channel, and that we moved on to another option...  I don't know.  I'm sorry, I was just so proud of myself for installing mIRC without screwing up.  I've sort of gone on a few channels and looked around, but I'm not really into chatting with total strangers. 
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on March 30, 2007, 03:40:44 am
it won't let me connect to slashnet. I am not really sure why.

it says:

* Connecting to irc.slashnet.org (6667)
-
* Identd request from 209.133.65.222
* Identd replied: 3592, 6667 : USERID : UNIX : theinevita
-
* [10053] Software caused connection abort
-
* Disconnected
-
* Connect retry #1 209.133.65.222 (6667)

and then repeats.
I am not sure what is going wrong.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: smick on March 30, 2007, 03:42:42 am
irc.wjoe.tv

#touamb

That's the one from the past.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2007, 04:11:11 am
smick, your stern looking avatar always makes me feel a little ashamed, but now even more so.  If I go to www.irc.wjoe.tv  (http://www.irc.wjoe.tv) (is that even the right place?) it won't let me connect, tells my I need to install something, then crazy norton/vista stuff tells me a threat has been blocked... Sigh.  I don't know.  I just don't know.  Maybe grandma should stick to her crosswords and knitting.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: pmcd9 on March 30, 2007, 04:56:47 am
Thank you A-CAP for providing us with this excellent resource.  And thank you also for attempting to revive the TOUAMBie awards.  I, for one, and excited by the prospect of another TOUAMBie award.  I don't however expect to do win anything this go round. 
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: linnea on March 30, 2007, 05:00:58 am
smells, do you have an IRC program, such as mIRC or Trillian? You can download the programs for free at http://www.mirc.com/ (http://www.mirc.com/) or you can get Trillian at http://www.ceruleanstudios.com (http://www.ceruleanstudios.com)

I use Trillian because it's multiple IM thingies in one, but both are equally good.

Once you've got your preferred IRC client set up, put irc.wjoe.tv in the connection box. If it asks for a port, use 6667.

Once you connect to irc.wjoe.tv, type /join #touamb and you'll be in our channel.

PM me if you have questions!!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2007, 05:15:08 am
linnea and I are chatting now.  Hurry up and get in there!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 30, 2007, 05:17:28 am
Where?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2007, 05:18:54 am
irc.wjoe.tv

#touamb
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on March 30, 2007, 06:02:55 am
damn. I think WashU might be blocking certain ports. I do not know how to figure this out.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: jough on March 30, 2007, 12:44:27 pm
I think A-CAP is volunteering to run the entire TOUAMBIES, which is nice.  He'll be like our guest host.

However: A-CAP - have you read the entirety of the board archives first?  Or at least every post since the last TOUAMBIES?  That's such as a prerequisite for Sajacking the awards here.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: CortJstr on March 30, 2007, 12:46:06 pm
damn. I think WashU might be blocking certain ports. I do not know how to figure this out.

6667 is commonly used for eMule. You might be able to piggyback on a port that they can't block like 25 (outgoing e-mail) or 80 (http)
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: jough on March 30, 2007, 12:47:01 pm
I'm just posting again because Cort is catching up to my post count, and whenever someone overtakes me in post count, THAT IS WHEN THE BOARD COLLAPSES AND THE UNIVERSE COMES UNGLUED.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: CortJstr on March 30, 2007, 01:07:16 pm
I'm just posting again because Cort is catching up to my post count, and whenever someone overtakes me in post count, THAT IS WHEN THE BOARD COLLAPSES AND THE UNIVERSE COMES UNGLUED.

Basically the board is like the plot of Dogma. But with more cat c*ckes and giraffe placenta
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: smick on March 30, 2007, 02:14:02 pm
Hmmm try connecting on port 6667 or 6668.   I think that might be Bobby I's personal server.   If I see him, I'll ask him what ports he has open.

P.S. 88887th post.  WHO WILL BE THE PENTAOCTOID?!?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 30, 2007, 02:40:12 pm
Basically the board is like the plot of Dogma. But with more cat c*ckes and giraffe placenta

Cat cakes? Do they make them out of real cats?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: smick on March 30, 2007, 03:40:39 pm
Cat cakes? Do they make them out of real cats?

You, sir, are the PENTAOCTOID!

8x5 = YOU!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 30, 2007, 04:00:52 pm
You, sir, are the PENTAOCTOID!

8x5 = YOU!

On edit: I AM THE EQUATION OF THE WEEK
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: wombat on March 30, 2007, 04:21:07 pm
I was just about to post a message bemoaning the fact that I could connect to Slashnet but not to that joe tv thing.  But I tried another thing and discovered that I have a different chat program set up that does it.  It is kind of a mystery but, no matter.

So, I just quit my weekend job and can stay up late on Friday nights!  Be there!  But remember that for Wombat 'stay up late' means going to bed at 11 pm!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2007, 05:22:20 pm
Okay, I am there now with EDUCATION bot, smoofbot, and yermom bot, and supposedly smick... iI always thought it would be fun to be the only human in a room, but instead it is cold a lonely.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: wombat on March 30, 2007, 05:27:05 pm
OK, now I am there with all of those and supposedly side_show...
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on March 30, 2007, 07:39:23 pm
Yay!  It's working!  and A-CAP was there for a bit too!  Hooray!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: smick on March 31, 2007, 01:09:38 am
Okay, I am there now with EDUCATION bot, smoofbot, and yermom bot, and supposedly smick... iI always thought it would be fun to be the only human in a room, but instead it is cold a lonely.


Am I not human?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: linnea on March 31, 2007, 01:43:29 am
me and lfm are all up ins the chat room.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: AugustWest on March 31, 2007, 03:21:11 am
Am I not human?

Are we not men?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: chuanoplast on March 31, 2007, 03:48:31 am
I learned IRC today.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on March 31, 2007, 03:56:42 am
Am I not human?

I posted that intentionally, to rile you up.  Because you are so stern.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on March 31, 2007, 04:24:42 am
um, yeah, it isn't working for me at all. I will try again tomorrow.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2007, 04:28:01 am
This is the kind of thing I am better off not getting involved with. I have enough trouble with my lifestyle as it is.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Doc on March 31, 2007, 06:08:16 am
Yeah, I had plans today to look at a rental place and play copious videogames but between IRC and curling with my lady it went out the window. Need to remember that I tend to fall asleep if I lay down on saturday afternoons, I came back and there were only bots left.
Good Job #touamb

Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Nabubrush on March 31, 2007, 06:11:40 am
curling with my lady it went out the window.

You are a good and valuable human being.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Doc on March 31, 2007, 06:36:41 am
You are a good and valuable human being.
Also very sleepy when I'm all curled up and contented.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on March 31, 2007, 07:32:43 am
Curling as in

(http://www.uwec.edu/geogclub/WebImages/Curling/Curling.gif)

?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Doc on March 31, 2007, 07:43:05 am
More like this (http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Animals/Fox/Redfox-Mum-Curled-Up-Around-Cubs.Jpg). Where I live the only place you see ice is your freezer and that's only if you've got enough water for it.

I was tempted to take and post a pic of my curled up asleep lady but I feel that would be crossing a line she would not appreciate.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 31, 2007, 12:03:25 pm
Answer:  We are Devo!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: jough on March 31, 2007, 03:27:45 pm
Wow.  You got the reference.

<golf claps>
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 31, 2007, 04:04:35 pm
Hmmm try connecting on port 6667 or 6668.   I think that might be Bobby I's personal server.   If I see him, I'll ask him what ports he has open.

P.S. 88887th post.  WHO WILL BE THE PENTAOCTOID?!?

Just standard IRC port 6667.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 31, 2007, 04:06:22 pm
For people with irc client problems:

www.wjoe.tv/irc

Java client.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Nabubrush on April 01, 2007, 01:55:41 am
IT'S ALL CHING CHONG WING WONG.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: iron_felix on April 02, 2007, 07:07:14 am
I suffered some regrettable IM trauma in high school and have had little desire to use a chat room since then.  Another round of TOUAMBIES sounds good, though.  How would it work?  Would it just be for 2006?  I don't know if anyone who has joined since then (myself included) has contributed enough yet to have a shot at any awards versus those with a year's worth of posts upon which to judge.  Would we still get to vote?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 03, 2007, 03:29:05 pm
May I suggest: "Best 'It's-Not-FanFic-But-Damn-If-It-Ain't-Close''" Strip Thread Speculation Award.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2007, 03:34:10 pm
TOUAMBIES II: The Embiggening

TOUAMBIES III: Cromulent City can follow when we darn well feel like it.

Why are we using Simpsons meme's to describe the TOUAMBies?  Aren't there enough TOUAMB meme's we could use?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 03, 2007, 04:17:49 pm
I would add the suggestion of:

"Worst Rationale By A Troll As To Why He/She Is Not Actually A Troll".

The Freshman Psychology award, if you will.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on April 03, 2007, 04:29:33 pm
I'd like to see a "Have some dignity" award, where we nominate posters with the least amount of dignity.

Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:01:06 pm
not that I was here for this at all, but wasn't it "Hove some Dignity?"

Maybe we can have both... I feel like there are a lot of possible nominees.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: slink on April 03, 2007, 05:05:26 pm
Maybe we can have both... I feel like there are a lot of possible nominees.

The dress photos, huh? And I thought my bunny ears might have been a danger!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 05:12:20 pm
yeah. um.

Quote
Daniel,

At the risk of seeming "dad-like," uptight and generally out of date (or is it out
of touch?) -- if I were you, I'd seriously consider your recent additions to Flickr.
 Please remember that not everyone is as open-minded, fun-loving and unaffected by
other people's opinions as you are. 

(further stuff)

Also consider that what's funny "in the moment" can look very differently to someone
who wasn't there in "that moment"  They say that context is everything -- lack of
context can be damning.

Love,
Dad

It took me a couple of minutes to realize which pictures he was referring to. Damn.
Hove some Dignity, Dan.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: slink on April 03, 2007, 08:45:47 pm
yeah. um.

Well, I'm glad your father backs me up on this issue. It is good to know I'm aged and sensible!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Doc on April 03, 2007, 10:47:38 pm
Yeah Inev! What's with you wearing that dress without a full face of makeup or a nice bag! People gonna google your name when you go for job interviews and see that you are a guy that leaves the job half done. For shame!
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2007, 11:17:54 pm
People that don't get your flickr pictures can take it in the dumper.  Was he referring to potential employers?  Who could possibly give a flying fuck what your private photos look like?  Oh wait, he's referring to the flack "he" might recieve from his less open minded friends.  I see.

I guess you just gotta tell your Dad you are a tranny and he's just gonna have to deal with it.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on April 03, 2007, 11:45:59 pm
I think it's more like... My parents were basically afraid in high school that I'd do something weird and get beat up. I think that is the thing.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Doc on April 04, 2007, 02:48:33 am
My parents were like that with my li'l brother. Just try to keep in mind they're doing what they think is best for you and then ignore them and do what you want. If you're going to get beat up by assholes it'll probably happen anyway, but feeling like your parents are rejecting you can really mess with your head.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on April 04, 2007, 02:51:22 am
um, I mean, it's not that I am really into dressing up in dresses. I just did that once. because I thought it'd be fun/ny. they are typically OK with whatever I do.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Teatime on April 04, 2007, 10:27:03 pm
For a moment I thought your father created an account to post this. I was some alarmed.

And I thought the dress was charming and inoffensively done.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on April 06, 2007, 03:23:13 am
The dress was cute, but I'm glad you say you've put on some weight since.  What I am saying is that I probably sympathize with what your mother worries about, not your dad.  "Eat!  Eat!  You're skin and bones! (etc..)"
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Doc on April 13, 2007, 02:28:47 pm
Ok I KNOW you're all online. The Board tells me so.
Get yo asses on the chatroom dagnabit.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 13, 2007, 03:09:34 pm
Ok I KNOW you're all online. The Board tells me so.
Get yo asses on the chatroom dagnabit.

We work for a living. What are you, a damn FOREIGNER?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on April 16, 2007, 10:11:38 pm
So is this still happening?
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 16, 2007, 11:46:58 pm
So is this still happening?

Yes, sporadically. Just log in and idle there for God's sake.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: side_show on April 17, 2007, 02:13:36 am
No, I meant the TOUAMBIES, not the IRC.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 17, 2007, 05:11:16 am
No, I meant the TOUAMBIES, not the IRC.

A-CAP logged into the chatroom, started an incoherent rant in which he called both myself and smick 'bots, and then logged off in a colossal meltdown. I think probably not, since this was his idea.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: V-Adore on April 17, 2007, 05:34:28 am
I was wondering if A-CAP had finally lost patience with all of us pinko hippies for not instantly grasping the glory of his arachno-capitalism. Ah well.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: theinevitable on April 17, 2007, 05:39:18 am
damn, did he mention blowjobs? i feel like I've had a few IRC conversations with him about blowjobs.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: jaydub on April 17, 2007, 11:02:09 pm
I think you're confusing them with his professors.  Or CNN news anchors.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 27, 2007, 05:18:45 pm
After that... only silence.

We had a problem. The server will be up in a few days.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: coldfrog on April 30, 2007, 08:22:37 am
I'd just like to point out that I only hate kittens when they get hit by cars and make little girls cry and teenagers kill their parents.  Otherwise they are OK.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2007, 11:49:14 am
We had a problem. The server will be up in a few days.

The machine is now functional, IRC will be back this week.
Title: Re: Chatroom & TOUAMBIES 07
Post by: Nabubrush on May 02, 2007, 04:55:14 am
Blowjobs?