The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on March 30, 2007, 07:37:02 pm
-
The North American season two DVD set is finally released on Tuesday! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000M3439E/bookstorenow56-20) What a lovely Easter present!
-
Already in the Netflix queue. The hell you people don't rent it from Netflix before I do.
-
Curses. Something else to pay VAT on for importing...
-
That is awesome. I hope it looks and sounds as good as season one. By putting only 2 episodes per disc they were able to make it look fantastic.
Looking at the details on Amazon it seems they are putting 4 episodes per disc. They are including log lady introductions though, which is awesome. That was one of the best parts of the season one set.
Edit: Holy shit, I didn't realize that season 1 was out of print and going for over $100 on Amazon. That's insane!
-
Okay, I've been waiting until my holidays for this. I am about to embark on a Twin Peaks marathon which includes the bootlegged Japanese movie length version of the pilot, season one and two, and Fire Walk With me.
Because I care about my health I will not be eating donuts or cherry pie or throwing back black coffee. Though I might cuddle a log and oil my drapes if time permits.
-
Whenever I had Twin Peaks viewing parties I could never remember when you are supposed to stop the pilot, and we'd end up watching a little too much of the fake ending.
For just a moment I was upset that the Season 1 DVD set was out of print, then I realized that I got a copy as a gift shortly after it came out. Sadly, I don't think I've watched it since I received the gift.
-
That is awesome. I hope it looks and sounds as good as season one. By putting only 2 episodes per disc they were able to make it look fantastic.
Looking at the details on Amazon it seems they are putting 4 episodes per disc. They are including log lady introductions though, which is awesome. That was one of the best parts of the season one set.
Edit: Holy shit, I didn't realize that season 1 was out of print and going for over $100 on Amazon. That's insane!
How much was season 1 as released, I wonder?
Edit: Looks like $40 or so, I guess. Ebay's currently at $50+ or so.
-
Because I care about my health I will not be eating donuts or cherry pie or throwing back black coffee. Though I might cuddle a log and oil my drapes if time permits.
Er?
The latter sounds like a euphemism for flicking the bean; I can't even guess at the first term. Tree-hugging?
-
Sounds like good ol' American man-on-woman missionary intercourse to me, Jay.
-
Honey, you can oil my drapes any time.
I somehow never noticed that Twin Peaks had come out on video. But after recently watching Eraserhead (see other thread that I am too tired to link to), I am afraid that I might not like it any more and re-watching it would just spoil the good memories. That lady in the radiator in Eraserhead jumped out at me as very Twin Peaks-y and also as the most annoying and pointless part of the movie.
-
The Lady In The Radiator... I don't think that sequence is pointless.
Disturbing, sure, but pointless?
She's a metaphor for all the ways that a weak-willed man can escape from harsh reality into a world where a warped ancient vision of femininity that never really existed can protect him forever.
A conflation of mother figure and lover figure, hissing at him from a radiator out from fifty years in the past, singing to him that he should kill himself and go to heaven because everything will be all right there.
It's just that... you know... in David Lynch World, you get that across with a deformed Betty Boop singing up toward you through the dust of ages and into a heating duct.
-
Er?
The latter sounds like a euphemism for flicking the bean; I can't even guess at the first term. Tree-hugging?
You know: cuddle a log (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_lady), and oil my drapes? (http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tpcard39.html) No euphemisms here. Just dated cultural references.
Any way, I was thwarted in my attempt to start the marthon today by the problem of having a social life... I'm starting tomorrow come hell or high water.
-
Any way, I was thwarted in my attempt to start the marthon today by the problem of having a social life... I'm starting tomorrow come hell or high water.
I usually hate being alone, but sometimes those pesky social lifes can ruin good plans.
-
You know: cuddle a log (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_lady), and oil my drapes? (http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tpcard39.html) No euphemisms here. Just dated cultural references.
I don't know what I was doing when all the cool kids were watching Twin Peaks. Probably memorizing resistor color codes.
-
You know: cuddle a log (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_lady), and oil my drapes? (http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tpcard39.html)
The ladyfriend has the Jerry Horne card. (Portrayed by David Patrick Kelly, another one of her fixations, like Al.)
This is notable because the card says he graduated from Gonzaga Law, the same school that my mother graduated from.
-
I made it. I watched the whole damn series in one weekend. I never realized just how great the first part of the second season is, and how much the series lost direction after the killer is revealed (no spoilers just in case!). Watching it all at once makes both the great and the awful stand out pretty clearly.
It really is a work of art though - terrifying, beautiful, funny, horrible, kitchy... Fuck yeah.
Anyway, wombat - Twin Peaks is much more approachable than Eraserhead, and holds up quite well. I think having seen Eraserhead will enhance your Twin Peaks experience, not water it down. Then again, I was also the one who recommended Eraserhead in the first place...
-
I, as of tonight, will have watched all of "Weeds" in a few days. What do you guys think of this show?
I like it a lot.
It makes me want to do drugs, though. So, you know, bad influence. Don't judge me too harshly.
-
I, as of tonight, will have watched all of "Weeds" in a few days. What do you guys think of this show?
I like it a lot.
It makes me want to do drugs, though. So, you know, bad influence. Don't judge me too harshly.
When I was your age, getting up in the morning made me want to do drugs.
-
I wish I could wake up with the drugs already in me. That pesky five minute period is really bringing me down.
Anyhow, on a serious note, I don't like Weeds. It is to, well, maybe I already see the stuff on a daily basis. Like, lots of pot dealers live in nice neighborhoods and have kids and are nice and... It is alright but some parts could be more interesting I guess. I have watched some on line, and I was entertained, but it feels like half assed California Morality mixed with a soap opera that involves herb so young'uns will watch.
-
My dealers were never suburbanites.
-
It depends what you are buying. I am a suburbanite, so maybe that explains it. There is no big city to go to either. Like, in OKC you can't just go somewhere and buy an eight ball. You have to know someone.
-
In OKC you can't just go somewhere and buy an eight ball. You have to know someone.
These people (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/629522624/) know someone.
-
These people (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/629522624/) know someone.
Oh daaaaayumn. Meth mouth is so sexy. I should see about getting an introduction from those ladies to the folks that they know.
I've never seen "Weeds". I have read a few articles about marijuana indoor farm ops where the honcho buys a McMansion in some soulless subdivision and then just rip out all the non loadbearing walls and just convert the shit out of the house into a weed plantation. They patch into the grid illegally to steal electricity for the grow lights so that it doesn't register on the individual home's meter, the whole nine yards. In the article that I read, it's usually their carelessness (such as forgetting to water the lawn) that gets the yuppie neighbors antsy. By the time the cops bust the joint, they're out the current crop, but then again they've probably made enough cash from the farm to pay for another 5 houses.
Is weeds about stuff like that? Or just some suburban types who move a few bricks here and there?
-
Where in Oklahoma was that?
And yeah, I was talking about coke. Go to any trailer park and you can get meth. That isn't really my scene.
Basically my point is that people sell drugs wherever people are. Some of them have kids and nice houses. Some of them have meth labs (and kids).
-
Where in Oklahoma was that?
And yeah, I was talking about coke. Go to any trailer park and you can get meth. That isn't really my scene.
Basically my point is that people sell drugs wherever people are. Some of them have kids and nice houses. Some of them have meth labs (and kids)..
Do you live in OK? The articles I read were about California and Colorado. I live in Colorado.
Yeah, I figured you were talking about coke. Paul's picture was of meth freaks though. I saw a spread in National Geographic many years ago about how they process cocaine in central and south america. It was craaazy.
-
Yeah, I was asking Paul where the picture was taken in OK (like what town), sorry for the confusion. I may live in Boulder or Denver starting early next year though.
The last statement was about Weeds and why I don't like it, although I may be simplifying the show (there is also a lot of drama and funnies, but, as I said, it feels to much like a soap opera that kids watch because OMG WEED!! HOW HIP! That tries to make a statement because a pretty mom in a nice neighborhood sells drugs, but it is a pretty weak message too.)
And yeah, the coke process is pretty fucked. That is one of many reasons why I generally don't do it (sometimes I succumb), I was just using coke as an example because I am pretty sure coke and heroin are, in general, your big city street corner drugs. There is not a place in OK where you are going to be able to go somewhere and buy drugs from someone you have never met on a corner, that is all I was really trying to say, I guess. And since they are drugs and always have a market, they come from nice people in nice houses sometimes. Especially weed.
-
Where in Oklahoma was that?
Just south of OKC. Maybe 10-15 miles. Don't remember the name of the town.
-
Dang. I live in a town 10-15 miles (10) south of OKC.
Dang. That is not what we all look like. I swear.
-
Where in Oklahoma was that?
And yeah, I was talking about coke. Go to any trailer park and you can get meth. That isn't really my scene.
Coke prices in Portland have dropped like a rock (sorry) and it's everywhere. Nothing like a healthy does of competition to balance those prices out. God bless the U.S.A.
-
basically I like the show because it is a nice diversion, pretty funny, and it ended on a big cliffhanger and I want to know what happens.
I mean, it's no "Arrested Development," that's for goddamn sure.
-
Yeah, it is an okay show. That really spun out of control. It is just overhyped, maybe?
-
basically I like the show because...
Ok, too much drug talk. I read that as basically I like the snow
-
Dang. I live in a town 10-15 miles (10) south of OKC.
Dang. That is not what we all look like. I swear.
How about these dudes (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/629321871/) we met about 50 miles further south?
-
Now that is more like it.