The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on April 11, 2007, 02:46:40 am

Title: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 11, 2007, 02:46:40 am

fuck*ng bullshit. (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2416213&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

Todd Goldman, the guy who does those "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them" tee shirts, is a plagiarist.

Long and the short:

On the left is a 2001 installment of Dave Kelly's comic Purple Pussy. On the right is a Todd Goldman "original", currently being shown in an LA gallery.

(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/hollinsdorothy/purplepussy_ripped.png)

This has been written about quite a bit, but I didn't see a thread here, and it seemed relevant. There's a lot more detail in the link at the top. He's done similar things with Roman Dirge's character Lenore, except a little less obvious.
 
Has anyone heard anything about something like this happening with Achewood?
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: linnea on April 11, 2007, 03:46:09 am
What a worthless jerk. I hope that he gets sued and has to pay expensive renumeration to the folks he ripped off.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: jaydub on April 11, 2007, 06:21:48 am
Astonishing to think he'd not be exposed.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: jough on April 11, 2007, 01:03:35 pm
On the left is a 2001 installment of Dave Kelly's comic Purple Pussy. On the right is a Todd Goldman "original", currently being shown in an LA gallery.
(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/hollinsdorothy/purplepussy_ripped.png)

Clearly it's not a ripoff.  The one on the left isn't even in colour!

And look at that lightbulb hanging down there!  Do you see that in the original?  DO YOU SEE THAT IN THE ORIGINAL?

It's obvious homage but it's like saying that "Ice Ice Baby" is a ripoff of "Under Pressure," or that "U Can't Touch This" is a ripoff of "Superfreak."

Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: Charles Nelson Mandela on April 11, 2007, 05:19:12 pm
I blame Don Imus.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2007, 06:53:52 pm
Clearly it's not a ripoff.  The one on the left isn't even in colour!

And look at that lightbulb hanging down there!  Do you see that in the original?  DO YOU SEE THAT IN THE ORIGINAL?

It's obvious homage but it's like saying that "Ice Ice Baby" is a ripoff of "Under Pressure," or that "U Can't Touch This" is a ripoff of "Superfreak.

The cat isn't wearing a ribbon in it's hair and it's thinking it's prayer, not saying it.  Yes, you are right Jough, totally not a ripoff.  However, you Rumpty Tumpty are clearly guilty of ripping off shylock fox.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: Golfhaus on April 11, 2007, 11:05:54 pm
And the new version includes the word "please." It seems for every similarity, there are four differences.

And while I can buy Hammer's first hit being an homage to Rick James, Under Pressure shouldn't even mentioned in the same sentence as... that other song. It is as if songs were people who belonged to families, and Under Pressure had a third cousin who bunked in an Econo Lodge room with a drifter, and that drifter had a brother who was catatonic. That catatonic brother would be Ice Ice Baby.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 12, 2007, 12:05:23 am
Okay, I need someone to translate Internet for me: do you guys seriously not see the plagiarism?
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: pmcd9 on April 12, 2007, 12:18:22 am
Okay, I need someone to translate Internet for me: do you guys seriously not see the plagiarism?

You're never going to make it as a cartoonist if you don't show us your panties.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 12, 2007, 12:31:52 am
(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/hollinsdorothy/V264111.jpg)

Happy?

God. Such harassment on this board.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2007, 12:54:49 am
whoa, those are some class-a panties, in terms of pantyflash purposes.

...that's what that's called, right? hell of fanservice stylezz?
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: vivouk on April 12, 2007, 02:20:03 am
Fan service is HELLA creepy.  :-\
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 12, 2007, 02:39:08 am
Okay, I need someone to translate Internet for me: do you guys seriously not see the plagiarism?

Now you have all internet fucked my already fragile mind.

The question now becomes Are you serious?
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 12, 2007, 03:39:34 am
Now you have all internet fucked my already fragile mind.

The question now becomes Are you serious?

Always. I'm pretty earnest, and not much given to irony.

I seriously think that Todd Goldman is a serious plagiarist, and I seriously don't know whether you guys are being sarcastic.

And I know I sound like I'm mocking serious attitudes, but I'm totally not. I just don't get it.

Rumjay::internet sarcasm = Phillipe::gay porn.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 12, 2007, 04:21:58 am
It is best to, on the internet, assume sarcasm as a reflex that one may disprove later, upon reflection.

The internet is equal parts sarcasm and pornography.

There are computers involved, I am told, but such is largely secondary.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 12, 2007, 04:35:02 am
But see, the thing is, I don't really respond to sarcasm well, ever. I'm a very blunt person not given to misrepresentation, and so I don't like to assume it in others. I've learned to detect its possible presence well enough, but not well enough to get a definitive positive.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: Doc on April 12, 2007, 07:06:19 am
Ok let's break it down:

Goldman is a plagiarist = Not sarcasm

We are unable to see the plagiarism = Sarcasm

Panty shot + phillipe gay porn simile = Hella cans
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: theinevitable on April 12, 2007, 07:31:07 am
so... I want to say unfortunate things about the fact that you said you don't understand insincerity/sarcasm, and you posted a picture of panties on the internet when told to "show us your panties".
I am not going to elaborate.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: wombat on April 12, 2007, 01:30:44 pm
Not being able to detect sarcasm is a serious disability in a place like this. It's like you're internet-autistic or something.
Title: Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
Post by: RMJ12345 on April 12, 2007, 04:15:59 pm
so... I want to say unfortunate things about the fact that you said you don't understand insincerity/sarcasm, and you posted a picture of panties on the internet when told to "show us your panties".
I am not going to elaborate.

Hey man, I just want to get my point across and assume good faith. It's not like I don't have a sense of humor. I figure, some people might genuinely not see it. And I want to prove my point if they do, because I'm a know-it-all.

Quote
Not being able to detect sarcasm is a serious disability in a place like this. It's like you're internet-autistic or something.

I can detect sarcasm, I just don't assume it is sarcasm. That's why I asked.

And I proffer "Internet savant."