Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.  (Read 3420 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« on: April 11, 2007, 02:46:40 am »


fuck*ng bullshit.


Todd Goldman, the guy who does those "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them" tee shirts, is a plagiarist.

Long and the short:

On the left is a 2001 installment of Dave Kelly's comic Purple Pussy. On the right is a Todd Goldman "original", currently being shown in an LA gallery.



This has been written about quite a bit, but I didn't see a thread here, and it seemed relevant. There's a lot more detail in the link at the top. He's done similar things with Roman Dirge's character Lenore, except a little less obvious.
 
Has anyone heard anything about something like this happening with Achewood?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 03:46:09 am »

What a worthless jerk. I hope that he gets sued and has to pay expensive renumeration to the folks he ripped off.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 06:21:48 am »

Astonishing to think he'd not be exposed.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:03:35 pm »

On the left is a 2001 installment of Dave Kelly's comic Purple Pussy. On the right is a Todd Goldman "original", currently being shown in an LA gallery.


Clearly it's not a ripoff.  The one on the left isn't even in colour!

And look at that lightbulb hanging down there!  Do you see that in the original?  DO YOU SEE THAT IN THE ORIGINAL?

It's obvious homage but it's like saying that "Ice Ice Baby" is a ripoff of "Under Pressure," or that "U Can't Touch This" is a ripoff of "Superfreak."

Charles Nelson Mandela

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • These aren't the characters we identify with?
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 05:19:12 pm »

I blame Don Imus.
Logged
"Hello, I'm Antonin Scalia. Welcome to *slap!* *spank!* Strict Constructionism."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 06:53:52 pm »

Clearly it's not a ripoff.  The one on the left isn't even in colour!

And look at that lightbulb hanging down there!  Do you see that in the original?  DO YOU SEE THAT IN THE ORIGINAL?

It's obvious homage but it's like saying that "Ice Ice Baby" is a ripoff of "Under Pressure," or that "U Can't Touch This" is a ripoff of "Superfreak.

The cat isn't wearing a ribbon in it's hair and it's thinking it's prayer, not saying it.  Yes, you are right Jough, totally not a ripoff.  However, you Rumpty Tumpty are clearly guilty of ripping off shylock fox.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05:54 pm »

And the new version includes the word "please." It seems for every similarity, there are four differences.

And while I can buy Hammer's first hit being an homage to Rick James, Under Pressure shouldn't even mentioned in the same sentence as... that other song. It is as if songs were people who belonged to families, and Under Pressure had a third cousin who bunked in an Econo Lodge room with a drifter, and that drifter had a brother who was catatonic. That catatonic brother would be Ice Ice Baby.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:05:23 am »

Okay, I need someone to translate Internet for me: do you guys seriously not see the plagiarism?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:18:22 am »

Okay, I need someone to translate Internet for me: do you guys seriously not see the plagiarism?

You're never going to make it as a cartoonist if you don't show us your panties.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 12:31:52 am »



Happy?

God. Such harassment on this board.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:54:49 am »

whoa, those are some class-a panties, in terms of pantyflash purposes.

...that's what that's called, right? hell of fanservice stylezz?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:20:03 am »

Fan service is HELLA creepy.  :-\
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:08 am »

Okay, I need someone to translate Internet for me: do you guys seriously not see the plagiarism?

Now you have all internet fucked my already fragile mind.

The question now becomes Are you serious?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:39:34 am »

Now you have all internet fucked my already fragile mind.

The question now becomes Are you serious?

Always. I'm pretty earnest, and not much given to irony.

I seriously think that Todd Goldman is a serious plagiarist, and I seriously don't know whether you guys are being sarcastic.

And I know I sound like I'm mocking serious attitudes, but I'm totally not. I just don't get it.

Rumjay::internet sarcasm = Phillipe::gay porn.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Plagiarists are stupid, throw rocks at them.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 04:21:58 am »

It is best to, on the internet, assume sarcasm as a reflex that one may disprove later, upon reflection.

The internet is equal parts sarcasm and pornography.

There are computers involved, I am told, but such is largely secondary.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up