The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: theinevitable on May 04, 2007, 09:40:49 am

Title: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: theinevitable on May 04, 2007, 09:40:49 am
permalink (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05042007)

I stifled my laugh really carefully, because a guy is sleeping on the couch in here. But this was pretty awesome.

Alt. titles: "Does Jelly Belly make a Brain one?"
"The Brain is the only organ that hates Crime."
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: smick on May 04, 2007, 10:00:23 am
Wear a helmet of any type!

Best advice ever.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: Ryabovsky on May 04, 2007, 10:52:33 am
This is, like, the best mangling of Catholic prayer I've ever seen.

(Took me until I was 10 to actually learn the Hail Mary).

Also the alt-text on this one . . . how will Beef's luck not actually change?
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: Doc on May 04, 2007, 11:08:58 am
A quality birthday strip, certainly my favourite of the Friday Facts of which I am not a big fan.
Inev got the title exactly right and brain facts are always useful and (apparently) hilarious.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: robot_god on May 04, 2007, 12:20:07 pm
Worst Philippe Times ever.  Too topical, the exact opposite of what Philippe Times is about.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 04, 2007, 02:11:01 pm
Why are they sad and glad and bad?
I do not know.  Go ask your dad.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2007, 03:48:50 pm
How could anyone not like this? It makes me sad.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: AugustWest on May 04, 2007, 04:12:54 pm
Why are they sad and glad and bad?
I do not know.  Go ask your dad.

I like your hat.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 04, 2007, 04:20:08 pm
I found it funny, yes, but I definitely agree that... I had felt that the entire point of Phillipe's little newspaper, in a meta sense, was about getting out of whatever storyline was going on for the weekend and getting out on a goofy "non-story" note. While enjoyably humourous, the use of it to advance a story DID feel weird.

Also off-putting was... suddenly resurrecting the Jesus Quail to push the new Faceboard system or whatever its called.

I mean, the resurrection makes sense... He IS Jesus but... I dunno. Felt weird.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: Enkidu on May 04, 2007, 05:07:46 pm
Beef is going to take some of the 7mil and order a badass new computer.  Then hes going to feel real guilty about stealing from his friend and return the computer for a refund only they're going to accidentally give him a refund on the full price rather than the sale price, so next week Ray will find $7,000,300 under the raiders caps.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2007, 05:36:51 pm
I found it funny, yes, but I definitely agree that... I had felt that the entire point of Phillipe's little newspaper, in a meta sense, was about getting out of whatever storyline was going on for the weekend and getting out on a goofy "non-story" note. While enjoyably humourous, the use of it to advance a story DID feel weird.


But, see, I like that part. It's like the blogs, we get bits and pieces of the whole picture in different formats.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: idiomsavant on May 04, 2007, 07:26:45 pm
"...until he's off his Zeke"?
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 04, 2007, 07:48:34 pm
In a way, I completely agree with you, Womb@...

I very much enjoy the way that sometimes the story arcs develop sideways through blogs and strips and so on, giving you multiple and sometimes non-linear perspectives on the on-goings of the talking cats and alive stuffed animals.

I just feel that if we needed Phillipe's (admittedly funny) perspective on the storyline from quasi-outside of the storyline... his blog would've been the place to do it, as opposed to in the recurring newspaper bit where part of the bit's usefulness is that it usually comes out of nowhere and cleanses the palate of plot with a funny riff on how an innocent would perceive the madness of the drug-soaked sexually-frustrated gourmand world of Achewood.

I dunno. As an aspiring writer, I overanalyze things structually, such as this.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2007, 08:42:29 pm
See, I dunno, LFM, but I think this strip is a funny riff on how an innocent would perceive the madness of the Achewood world, in this case the madness of "Ray has a severe brain injury and they're just going to leave him at home." Philippe takes some lessons from it -- wear a helmet of any type! You'd better not spread a human brain out on a table!

(In retrospect, it is a little weird that Philippe talks about human brains and not the brains of any species actually involved in this situation, but I guess alive stuffed otter brains aren't as impressive.)

Also, "Simple Moments in-room Living" is a black-humor home run.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: wombat on May 04, 2007, 08:49:37 pm
Yeah, what V said - that is just what this strip is this time too.

And yeah, while it can be seen as an easier way out than several more strips would have been, as a much older and wearier aspiring writer, I am happy to cut him some slack.  Something can be easy and good too.

Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 04, 2007, 09:55:56 pm
But, see, I like that part. It's like the blogs, we get bits and pieces of the whole picture in different formats.

EXACTLY. Experimental narratives ROCK.

I think it's in keeping with Phillipe's character, and I think it's a good break, a good way to build suspense about how Ray will be in the coming weeks. Also, I don't think Ray will really be all that hilarious after a couple strips, so it's a way to kind of stretch out the humor of the situation.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: V-Adore on May 04, 2007, 10:06:01 pm
Also, I don't think Ray will really be all that hilarious after a couple strips, so it's a way to kind of stretch out the humor of the situation.

That's the other thing. Traumatic brain injury is really not all that funny, even exaggerated to the "dude, when you talk, blood shoots out of your ears!" point. Several strips of a main character in an impaired state because of traumatic brain injury, even temporary traumatic brain injury, is going to move towards the squirmifying after a little while. Showcasing Philippe's absurd reactions is funny.

Also theoretically funny: Lie Bot helping Ray read the magazine about McDonald's by McDonald's.
Title: Re: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)
Post by: Bimmicus on May 05, 2007, 05:24:29 am
This one just made me feel sad for some reason.