Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thy will be done, thy kingdom come, on amber waves of grain! (5/4/07)  (Read 3067 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

permalink

I stifled my laugh really carefully, because a guy is sleeping on the couch in here. But this was pretty awesome.

Alt. titles: "Does Jelly Belly make a Brain one?"
"The Brain is the only organ that hates Crime."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:38:17 pm by V-Adore »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile

Wear a helmet of any type!

Best advice ever.
Logged

Ryabovsky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10
  • bool DisagreementBox(bool a) {a = true; return a;}
    • View Profile

This is, like, the best mangling of Catholic prayer I've ever seen.

(Took me until I was 10 to actually learn the Hail Mary).

Also the alt-text on this one . . . how will Beef's luck not actually change?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

A quality birthday strip, certainly my favourite of the Friday Facts of which I am not a big fan.
Inev got the title exactly right and brain facts are always useful and (apparently) hilarious.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

Worst Philippe Times ever.  Too topical, the exact opposite of what Philippe Times is about.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

Why are they sad and glad and bad?
I do not know.  Go ask your dad.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

How could anyone not like this? It makes me sad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile

Why are they sad and glad and bad?
I do not know.  Go ask your dad.

I like your hat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

I found it funny, yes, but I definitely agree that... I had felt that the entire point of Phillipe's little newspaper, in a meta sense, was about getting out of whatever storyline was going on for the weekend and getting out on a goofy "non-story" note. While enjoyably humourous, the use of it to advance a story DID feel weird.

Also off-putting was... suddenly resurrecting the Jesus Quail to push the new Faceboard system or whatever its called.

I mean, the resurrection makes sense... He IS Jesus but... I dunno. Felt weird.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile

Beef is going to take some of the 7mil and order a badass new computer.  Then hes going to feel real guilty about stealing from his friend and return the computer for a refund only they're going to accidentally give him a refund on the full price rather than the sale price, so next week Ray will find $7,000,300 under the raiders caps.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I found it funny, yes, but I definitely agree that... I had felt that the entire point of Phillipe's little newspaper, in a meta sense, was about getting out of whatever storyline was going on for the weekend and getting out on a goofy "non-story" note. While enjoyably humourous, the use of it to advance a story DID feel weird.


But, see, I like that part. It's like the blogs, we get bits and pieces of the whole picture in different formats.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

idiomsavant

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
    • View Profile

"...until he's off his Zeke"?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

In a way, I completely agree with you, Womb@...

I very much enjoy the way that sometimes the story arcs develop sideways through blogs and strips and so on, giving you multiple and sometimes non-linear perspectives on the on-goings of the talking cats and alive stuffed animals.

I just feel that if we needed Phillipe's (admittedly funny) perspective on the storyline from quasi-outside of the storyline... his blog would've been the place to do it, as opposed to in the recurring newspaper bit where part of the bit's usefulness is that it usually comes out of nowhere and cleanses the palate of plot with a funny riff on how an innocent would perceive the madness of the drug-soaked sexually-frustrated gourmand world of Achewood.

I dunno. As an aspiring writer, I overanalyze things structually, such as this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest

See, I dunno, LFM, but I think this strip is a funny riff on how an innocent would perceive the madness of the Achewood world, in this case the madness of "Ray has a severe brain injury and they're just going to leave him at home." Philippe takes some lessons from it -- wear a helmet of any type! You'd better not spread a human brain out on a table!

(In retrospect, it is a little weird that Philippe talks about human brains and not the brains of any species actually involved in this situation, but I guess alive stuffed otter brains aren't as impressive.)

Also, "Simple Moments in-room Living" is a black-humor home run.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Yeah, what V said - that is just what this strip is this time too.

And yeah, while it can be seen as an easier way out than several more strips would have been, as a much older and wearier aspiring writer, I am happy to cut him some slack.  Something can be easy and good too.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up