The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on May 07, 2007, 05:35:47 am

Title: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: RMJ12345 on May 07, 2007, 05:35:47 am
I don't like what you're doing here. I don't feel like I have a lot of outs. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05072007)

What's with Beef wearing a different shirt? And I'm not sure I get the variance in Ray's competency level/articulation.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: V-Adore on May 07, 2007, 06:20:44 am
This arc feels a little bit like a case study to me, and attempting to compose a reply made me realize why: because I am actually thinking about how, precisely, Ray might have been affected by this traumatic brain injury and how that's affecting his behavior. Dang. Maybe I do need to go back to graduate school and funnel this into productive avenues.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: isunklower on May 07, 2007, 06:25:18 am
I am loving Ray's shirt.  That is exactly the shirt a retarded person would wear, collar buttoned entirely to its fullest. 

Also "I don't feel like I have a lot of outs" might have just become my favorite phrase.  Ray is always such a roll-with-it type of guy; it's great to see him nervous about things.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: ryanpeq on May 07, 2007, 06:38:48 am
Anyone else not surprised that Beef chews his nails?
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: robot_god on May 07, 2007, 06:45:15 am
I like this strip plenty, but I hate the way those dice look.

When I was a kid, dice were my favorite thing to draw.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: pmcd9 on May 07, 2007, 07:24:01 am
This is a fruit and fruit don't never wear ##### is your correct thread title.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: theinevitable on May 07, 2007, 08:41:39 am
my band is gon' be called Sex Receptacle.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: dejavroom on May 07, 2007, 12:10:43 pm
When you die in a plane crash my band's name is gonna be The New Sex Receptacles.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: wombat on May 07, 2007, 12:33:40 pm
This is a fruit and fruit don't never wear ****** is your correct thread title.

Correct thread title and wisdom for the ages.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: side_show on May 07, 2007, 01:03:22 pm
When you die in a plane crash my band's name is gonna be The New Sex Receptacles.

My first album is going to be called "Nevermind the Sex Receptacles, Here's the Peach."

edit:  Also, I really enjoy the way Onstad is drawing Ray's... muzzle... to be puffy with the two crinkle folds at the nose.  It strikes me as cute and I don't know why.  Also, I want an actual strip with Phillipe and Ray... or Lie bot and Ray.  At this point either of those would be very good.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: CortJstr on May 07, 2007, 01:09:15 pm
I am loving Ray's shirt.  That is exactly the shirt a retarded person would wear, collar buttoned entirely to its fullest. 

Also "I don't feel like I have a lot of outs" might have just become my favorite phrase.  Ray is always such a roll-with-it type of guy; it's great to see him nervous about things.

If it was colder out Ray would also have mittens attached to his sleeves. Plus his ****** are like 3 inches above his belly button.

[edit: my post count is now the same upside down as it is right side up. The last time this happened was way back at 1961]
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: wombat on May 07, 2007, 03:05:32 pm
My first album is going to be called "Nevermind the Sex Receptacles, Here's the Peach."


I need to preorder that right now.

I am thinking that when Ray regains full control of his faculties, he is going to be totally appalled that his glasses are still held together with tape.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: iron_felix on May 07, 2007, 03:24:21 pm
[edit: my post count is now the same upside down as it is right side up. The last time this happened was way back at 1961]

It symbolizes math!

Even when mentally impaired, Ray is still fundamentally Ray.  He has become Guy on the Bus Retarded, as opposed to Downs Syndrome Retarded, which would have lost its comedic potential much sooner.

That said, I still think Onstad passed up a golden opportunity to take this arc into creepier territory by having Ray spend some time at that Simple Moments place.  To see the Stoned Lightning idea transition into that brand of Achewood story would have been beautiful indeed.  I expected the Pet Rocks and the laser pointer to be instrumental in his escape.  Alternatively, Onstad could have gone for a "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" kind of thing.  Ray would have made a terrific Randle McMurphy.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 07, 2007, 04:41:04 pm
Temporarily-Brain-Damaged Ray is no longer smart enough to know that he has enough money where he never has to worry about anything. Normal Ray knows that his massive amounts of bread mean that he can be sexually aroused by fruit and no one can touch him or judge him. TBD Ray isn't smart enough and so he knows fear.

This is very interesting.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: pez on May 07, 2007, 05:23:11 pm
I like the way Ray's mouth has gone a little bit "Philippe". It symbolises regression.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: nabeel84 on May 07, 2007, 06:37:12 pm
Haha I like how he is wearing a sweatshirt backwards. By he I mean Ray. In the last panel.

Worst. First. Post. Ever.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: hoogli44 on May 07, 2007, 07:32:06 pm
I'm very curious about Ray's choice of footwear. Now that he is TBD, does he prefer the classic Velcro strapped sneakers, or has he jumped on the Crocs band-wagon?
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: CortJstr on May 07, 2007, 07:50:07 pm
Temporarily-Brain-Damaged Ray is no longer smart enough to know that he has enough money where he never has to worry about anything. Normal Ray knows that his massive amounts of bread mean that he can be sexually aroused by fruit and no one can touch him or judge him. TBD Ray isn't smart enough and so he knows fear.

This is very interesting.

Unless he calls the frickin' queen to ask about her peach-eating habits. There will always be people out there above Ray.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: jaydub on May 07, 2007, 08:53:25 pm
Haha I like how he is wearing a sweatshirt backwards. By he I mean Ray. In the last panel.

Worst. First. Post. Ever.

Don't worry - there are others - far, far, worse than yours.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: Golfhaus on May 07, 2007, 10:53:21 pm
Haha I like how he is wearing a sweatshirt backwards. By he I mean Ray. In the last panel.

Worst. First. Post. Ever.

Asherdan had mentioned that was a turtleneck, and I was about to be all, "Really? It looked like a hooded sweatshirt worn backwards." Then I got beat to it. By someone's first post.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: jaydub on May 07, 2007, 11:20:17 pm
So what's the consensus here? I think it's a turtle with the back portion obscured by the rearward head twist.
Seconded

I figure 'Stad is just picking clothing options that seem out of character for Ray while he's TMD.  He'll probably be wearing a baseball cap with the bill pointed forward next.

[ALSO EDIT] Thanks for giving me today's blood to throw on the assbar waters.
You've certainly put their noses out of joint over there.  All Asherdan comments with 10 lames for perfectly reasonable comments...
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: side_show on May 07, 2007, 11:21:53 pm
Wait... didn't one of our best-loved posters have that exact same avatar as nabeel84 has now?  Is it a coincidence?  It... it can't be....  Is it...  No.  I'm not even going to say it.  I can't handle this!
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: robot_god on May 07, 2007, 11:42:08 pm
Turtleneck and arkarbee, respectively.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: colmore on May 08, 2007, 01:30:36 am
re: peaches and #####...

dig through your change jar and find a Georgia state quarter.  failing that take a look at this thing:

http://www.pickyourown.org/images/giantpeach.gif (http://www.pickyourown.org/images/giantpeach.gif)

Technically in South Carolina, which technically produces more peaches than the peach state (which these days doesn't produce too many at all really).

Anyway, the concept that big ol' peaches might need themselves some ##### isn't exactly exclusive to the short bus token holders.


I for one think it would be interesting to keep Ray mentally handicapped roughly as long as Beef hung out on the moon.  And let a few arcs pass before this one actually resolves.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: jaydub on May 08, 2007, 04:05:22 am
Exactly my reasoning. I mean, a hoody isn't exactly unusual for Ray.

Spell it out for me Smells. I've had avatars disabled since the Great Paul Brown Eye Episode of '03.
**stepping in for the presumably comatose Canucktopian**
Arkabee used that avatar, but unless I'm mistaken, its a TOUAMB stock one from the musician list (Freddie Mercury).
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: theinevitable on May 08, 2007, 05:47:54 am
colmore-- I passed that giant peach frequently, back when my family sometimes went to Charlotte Knights games.

...yeah, the stadium is in SC. I am pretty sure that is the peach I am thinking of.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: Lister on May 08, 2007, 09:55:50 am
There is a similar water tower in Chilton County, Alabama.  It was the lone bright spot on the long and lonely drive to Montgomery.  That and the Stuckey's/Dairy Queen with the Battlezone cabinet.

Also, the winning line in this one for me was "Just... it needs to get dressed.  Please." That is a perfect sentence for someone who is flustered and Unable To Deal With This Right Now.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: nabeel84 on May 08, 2007, 05:49:12 pm
Quote
Wait... didn't one of our best-loved posters have that exact same avatar as nabeel84 has now?  Is it a coincidence?  It... it can't be....  Is it...  No.  I'm not even going to say it.  I can't handle this!
It's not him. I just got here. And Freddy Merc jumped out at me. Please don't break down. Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: side_show on May 08, 2007, 07:33:27 pm
It's not him. I just got here. And Freddy Merc jumped out at me. Please don't break down. Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Well, you are still more than welcome here.  Really though, Freddy is awesome.  If anyone's dead ghost is going to give me AIDS, I'd rather it be Freddy.  Do. Do. Do.  Another one bites the dust!

Now that my friends is creepier than any naked peach.
Title: Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
Post by: pmcd9 on May 09, 2007, 02:24:25 am
It's more than an avatar.  There are a lot of similar letters in the handle.