The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jaydub on May 10, 2007, 04:21:34 am

Title: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: jaydub on May 10, 2007, 04:21:34 am
Personally, I've heard of relationships based on less (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05102007)
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 10, 2007, 04:31:38 am
The phrase "discount restaurant" unnerves me so very much.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: theinevitable on May 10, 2007, 05:07:18 am
damn, dude. That is so crass.
but crass in that way that is... so sincere that it becomes uncrass.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: V-Adore on May 10, 2007, 06:47:17 am
The phrase "discount restaurant" unnerves me so very much.

Yes. Yes it is.

This just reminds me of a dramatic monologue a teammate of mine did back in high-school forensics that was written from the viewpoint of a guy talking about his parents, who were both mentally retarded (although the narrator was not). This strip struck me as a more light-hearted suggestion of how that relationship could have begun.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: Doc on May 10, 2007, 12:16:40 pm
a dramatic monologue a teammate of mine did back in high-school forensics

This is confusing me about as much as the concept of a discount restaurant. At least the discount restaurant concept is a simple one.

I like the sidebar in this one, it suggests to me that the book is not intended to be read by the idiots but rather read too them and the sidebar contains topics of interest that the reader might want to discuss further with their idiot.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 10, 2007, 12:17:40 pm
You went to school with Bob Lamonta?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hxPjYSay9g0
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: CortJstr on May 10, 2007, 01:07:41 pm
The phrase "discount restaurant" unnerves me so very much.

Is a discount restaurant one of those places that just heat up frozen entrees like Ruby Tuesday or is it something even worse like Denny's or IHOP?
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: MattFish on May 10, 2007, 01:09:09 pm
What if, for example, a HORSE takes it?

I live in fear of just such a scenario.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: Turbo Ninja on May 10, 2007, 01:16:10 pm
You went to school with Bob Lamonta?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hxPjYSay9g0

A tiny can has been given unto you because of peanut butter, an egg, some dice. 

That line is as hilarious now as it was the first time I heard it, and it has stayed with me always, like Jesus or my fingerprints.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: V-Adore on May 10, 2007, 05:59:09 pm
What if, for example, a HORSE takes it?

I live in fear of just such a scenario.

It is a scenario that could be troubling. The first question that comes to mind: why is a hoss taking your pen? Is it made of carrots?
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 10, 2007, 06:30:06 pm
Quote from: V-Adore
This just reminds me of a dramatic monologue a teammate of mine did back in high-school forensics that was written from the viewpoint of a guy talking about his parents, who were both mentally retarded (although the narrator was not). This strip struck me as a more light-hearted suggestion of how that relationship could have begun.

There is a superb Mr. Show skit about... a Lifetime movie on the subject of the normal teenaged child of two mentally-disabled parents. The joke is not so much about making fun of the mentally-disabled and much more about making fun of Lifetime movies and... that is why it works so marvelously.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: MattFish on May 10, 2007, 08:08:59 pm
There is a superb Mr. Show skit about... a Lifetime movie on the subject of the normal teenaged child of two mentally-disabled parents. The joke is not so much about making fun of the mentally-disabled and much more about making fun of Lifetime movies and... that is why it works so marvelously.

You went to school with Bob Lamonta?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hxPjYSay9g0

Mattgiraffe, bringing people together.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 10, 2007, 11:10:21 pm
There is a superb Mr. Show skit about... a Lifetime movie on the subject of the normal teenaged child of two mentally-disabled parents. The joke is not so much about making fun of the mentally-disabled and much more about making fun of Lifetime movies and... that is why it works so marvelously.

I'm going to go with the esteemed Mr. Ninja in asserting that the skit is, in fact, about the peanut butter, an egg, and dice line.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: Golfhaus on May 10, 2007, 11:38:28 pm
Ray's novel reminds me of the "Simple English" Wikipedia.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: V-Adore on May 11, 2007, 12:24:12 am
Ray's novel reminds me of the "Simple English" Wikipedia.

Well called. I can only read about two sentences on the "simple English" Wikipedia before I get kind of embarrassed and have to stop. I suppose it's useful for people who don't read well (particularly ESL people), but... awkward.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: jough on May 11, 2007, 01:40:16 am
This one made me laugh.

I liked this.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: Golfhaus on May 11, 2007, 02:02:16 am
Well called. I can only read about two sentences on the "simple English" Wikipedia before I get kind of embarrassed and have to stop. I suppose it's useful for people who don't read well (particularly ESL people), but... awkward.

I wrote two pages for the Simple English Wikipedia. My page on John Paul I exists mostly as I wrote it, but people have gone in and fancied my Pink Floyd page up so much that it has a "complex page" warning. It was an interesting exercise in trying to force myself to write at a level I would normally consider "beneath" me.
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: Golfhaus on May 11, 2007, 02:04:57 am
Sorry for the double post, but something just hit me. Ray refers to Mr. Bear as "Connie" in the first panel. I'm too lazy to look it up, but someone here made a comparison between Mr. Bear and Connie Mack a few strips ago. As a wise man once said, "Weird. Eerie."
Title: Re: May 10th, 2007 - "I'll marry you, if I get to keep your pen."
Post by: theinevitable on May 11, 2007, 05:30:37 am
I wrote the original of the Simple English "Ska" page. Now it has all kinds of links and stuff!