The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Enkidu on May 11, 2007, 10:51:35 pm
-
Fuck along, now. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05112007)
An interesting line of logic - on one hand it seems that Ray is instigating a series of rude comments that set people in bad moods (like that recent commercial I can't remember enough about to find a youtube link). On the other hand you've got Pat, who is always in a bad mood no matter what. Teodor's rebuttal is basically throwing a lit match into a blazing forge furnace - it makes no difference whatsoever.
-
but... but... pat is right!
damn.
-
Careful inev, moral rectitude is cold comfort indeed.
-
Cornelius' crack about the insurance industry's BMI calculation is pretty amusing, although I wonder where he got the weight figure for Mr. Wood. Most of the easily referenced bios for him say weight: unknown. One says 160lbs (http://elijah.netg.se/elijah/facts.php), but it's
struck through.
Careful with that link, by the way. It has kind of a panting, fanboy atmosphere that might take some explaining (unless you are, in fact, a panting Elijah Wood fanboy).
-
"Fuck along, now" = best line in recent memory.
-
Wow. This strip was really lame. Nothing interesting or amusing at all. It may be the first time I've ever thought that. Just some generic Patness.
-
"Fuck along, now" is so great. Cornelius is just a little too genteel for any other comeback, and it totally works.
-
Yes. If the whole strip was just a set-up for that last line, it was worth it. And why am I so terrified of Téodor's tiny tiny leg?
-
Total character comic, which makes me disappointed that Ray, who gets enough attention, was mentioned.
Also, good call on the thread title.
-
I have just given a can to everyone who said that "Fuck along, now" made the whole strip. Because I anticipate using that line ALL THE TIME now.
-
Heh, I love that Ray is flipping the bird with BOTH hands. The rest of the strip is kinda meh. Making fun of Pat for being socially responsible is kind of like shooting giraffe in a barrel. Not a very good show, imho.
I dislike the way that Pat's arguments are presented as invalid because he makes the zero-alcohol claim. The arguments about American wastefulness are totally valid - it really does take that much grain to produce a pound of beef. The Escalade might get 12 mpg if it was rolling downhill.
Meh. Far from my favorite strip.
-
The point, I think, isn't that Pat's claims are invalid, it's that he's making them in a fundamentally irritating and non-helpful way. It's reasonable to discuss the cost of meat farming when someone's doing grocery shopping, but doing it while the steak is actually being cooked is, at best, misguided; the only possible options at that point are that the steak gets eaten anyway, just more irritatedly, or that it gets thrown out, at which point it all goes to waste. The Escalade point is invalid, but Pat is making it to Ray, who is well-established as a conspicuous consumer with a low Pat tolerance, so why should we be surprised that Ray flips him the double deuce?
-
The point, I think, isn't that Pat's claims are invalid, it's that he's making them in a fundamentally irritating and non-helpful way. It's reasonable to discuss the cost of meat farming when someone's doing grocery shopping, but doing it while the steak is actually being cooked is, at best, misguided; the only possible options at that point are that the steak gets eaten anyway, just more irritatedly, or that it gets thrown out, at which point it all goes to waste. The Escalade point is invalid, but Pat is making it to Ray, who is well-established as a conspicuous consumer with a low Pat tolerance, so why should we be surprised that Ray flips him the double deuce?
And V beats all of you crumbs with supreme Fuck You Pat Analysis (Fyoopah)
I really like the questions that arise from Pat's reaction face to Téodor's snub. In the first he looks aghast, the last: indignant. The middle one is just puzzling. Is it slightly quizzical? What does the little concave triangle mouth even mean, especially when paired with a raised eyebrow? Is he thinking "What? Who wouldn't enjoy the taste of three acres of grain?"
-
What does the little concave triangle mouth even mean, especially when paired with a raised eyebrow? Is he thinking "What? Who wouldn't enjoy the taste of three acres of grain?"
I'm sure that, if Pat hasn't already sampled a steak best-stitute made of all three acres of that grain, he is devising one right in that panel.
-
Pat will invent one. He will invent one and feel like he has won, even though he has completely missed the point.
-
It is very Ray to throw... not just the Deuce but the Double-Deuce flip-off.
And... yes. "Fuck along, now" would be the world's greatest sitcom catchphrase ever if the world weren't full of assholes who believe that swearing is not rad. Swearing is the raddest.
-
It is very Ray to throw... not just the Deuce but the Double-Deuce flip-off.
see also: not solving the world's problems in this car. (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/images/viper/viper2.jpg)
-
God, this was awesome. Cornelius had the best comeback by far. What a badass.
How is Rod Huggins going to take to this when condom-shopping?
-
It's not that Pat is incorrect it's that he's being irrelevant. And being a douche about it besides. V said it nicely.
Also to be truly a bestitute he'd have to create that steak substitute using only one acre of grain. Grown organically, without the use of pesticides etc. possibly even without artificial irrigation systems.
Bobby continues to live the life we merely dream of.
-
Wait... is the 3 acres grain = a pound of beef thing true? If so, I'm sort of disturbed - both because that's way too much work for a steak, and also because maybe Pat taught me something.
-
yeah. it's true.
...I feel like my bio teacher told us it was 10 acres, though.
-
I am not sure. The statistics I have found say 7 lbs of grain for 1 lb of meat.
-
The way I see it, even if we are screwing the environment, I'll die before the planet anyway.
Especially if all I eat is steak.
-
Well then, this is just me, but ~700 lbs. of deliciousness traded off for ~4,900 lbs, of boring ass fiber works for me. 'Specially since a lot of the 'grain' used for growing the tasty is stuff palatable to the bovine and is not so much eatable human fodder.
The point that vegetarians are trying to make is that humans could eliminate starvation and support a larger population if everyone ate less meat (well...everyone could be fed if politics would allow everyone access to food). Sure, the crops that animals eat might be less palatable to humans, but converting that farmland to produce crops for humans would make our ecological resources stretch further.
Have you ever heard the term "ecological footprint"? That is the square footage of earthly resources that are needed for one person's existence. Oil companies have somewhat co-opted that term for the "carbon footprint". It is worth noting again that if everyone in the world lived the coveted American lifestyle (meat, vehicles, consumer goods) that we'd need FOUR earths.
-
Enough human-quality food is already produced to feed the world population. It's a problem of distribution (not that we necessarily can't, but that we don't). Saying that the problem is with the inefficiency of meat is in my eyes an attempt to deflect responsibility away from oneself by falsely reducing the issues of world hunger to a specific problem which could be credibly addressed If Only Everyone Was More Like Me rather than a symptom of deeper inequities in global economics.
-
Let's go find a vegan and kick him square in the soynuts!
-
I sure hope Onstad isn't turning into a political cartoonist. Because this one, seen as a political strip, is just extremely poor. Sub-Mallard-Fillmore. Your favourite or unfavourite anthropomorphic animal characters combine to make the 'point' that personal gratification and excessive consumption are Great and personal responsibility is Boring and Annoying and should go fuck itself.
The only bright spot is Cornelius' dialogue. At that point the politics is hopelessly confused because there isn't any analogy between choosing to screw up your own health and choosing to screw up the environment, and Pat is just baldly wrong and annoying. But in the first panel Pat is politically in the same boat with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Funny how things turn out.
The fallacy of the Heap:
Does one bean make a heap? No.
Does adding one bean make any difference to the heapiness? No.
Therefore (by induction!) any number of beans do not constitute a heap, and there is no such thing as a heap of beans.
Since the conclusion was absurd, we deduce that at least one premise is incorrect. It must have been the second.
The application to Ray's riposte is left as an exercise for the reader.
Barely witty things that Ray could have said:
'Interesting. I'll mention it to my carbon manager when we're down at the redwood forest. Now fuck off.'
'Yeah, but last winter was a bit chilly. Now fuck off while I create the perfect climate.'
However, the SoCal location kind of negates that last line. Is it physically at all possible to improve the climate there?
-
Those are some lovely punchline bestitutes you've got there.
-
The cat with the funny hairline is being a self-righteous dick and then the rich cat and the two teddy bears tell him to fuck off.
-
I know that its already been said in this thread, but I logged on to touamb for the first time in a long time specifically to make this comment and, by gum, I am going to make it:
"Fuck along now" is an amazingly great phrase, and I am going to use it this week, dammit!
-
However, the SoCal location kind of negates that last line. Is it physically at all possible to improve the climate there?
Achewood is in NoCal. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achewood)
Map of Palo Alto, CA (http://www.google.com/maps?q=Palo+Alto,+CA,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=37.442973,-122.147884&spn=0.055607,0.114498&z=13&om=1)
Map of Achewood, CA (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01032005)
Education.
-
I think I now know why this strip kinda sucked.
-
Just remember, Bakersfield is the unwanted red-headed step-child of both No & SoCal and thus, where the line is drawn.
Bakersfield is definitely in So Cal.
(Northern Californian)
-
Have you ever heard the term "ecological footprint"? That is the square footage of earthly resources that are needed for one person's existence. Oil companies have somewhat co-opted that term for the "carbon footprint".
Is it anything like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/497435980/)?
-
Fine, but you get it and goddamn Fresno all summer.
-
As a transplanted Angelino, I would personally define Bakersfield as "Central California".
Of course, in the three years I've lived in So. Cal, I've never been farther north than Santa Barbara or south of Anaheim. I am sorta tied to my work and... when I get extended time off, I visit my family back East, generally.
I could basically just hang out in the southern and central parts of the San Fernando Valley (Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, North Hollywood, Studio City) and Hollywood/West Hollywood and be completely happy.
-
Shit! OK, but you damn well better pay to get the teeth fixed on Clovis and Manteca.
Gotta love a city named "Lard". There's a way to cripple a kid's self esteem.
-
I am originally from LA. I have no idea what I consider Bakersfield, other than a good place for some country music to come out of.
-
Shit! OK, but you damn well better pay to get the teeth fixed on Clovis and Manteca.
ALSO: Shut your yapper, transplant! Don't make me send Modesto, Tracy and Tehachapi down there to rough you up.
I dated a girl from Modesto. My buddy lives in Stockton. Is it true that at one point you weren't allowed to live in Lodi unless someone who already lived there vouched for your character? That sounds... illegal.
-
I dunno. Lodi's a black hole. Once you've gone there, you never get out.
-
I have no idea what I consider Bakersfield, other than a good place for some country music to come out of.
I've heard the landcrab is good?
Asherdan, I never would have picked you for the rodeo type. Thankyou for reminding me again why such activities are a Bad Idea.
-
I don't know if Asherdan is really a reformed rodeo dude or if he's just pullin' my latigo, but I can'd him regardless for "mean old dude with crap on his ass."