The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: linnea on May 14, 2007, 01:28:21 am

Title: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: linnea on May 14, 2007, 01:28:21 am
OMG. This makes me so happy. Nerdcore, geekcore, whatever...it fuck*ng rocks.

One of my favorite blogs linked me to Leslie Hall's "Gem Sweater" vid on YouTube. God, this is so fuck*ng brill. I love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dGIesssq1Y (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dGIesssq1Y)

Wear your Gem Sweater, rock it loud and proud.
http://www.lesliehall.com/ (http://www.lesliehall.com/)

Edited to fix link, I hope.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: theinevitable on May 14, 2007, 01:35:03 am
so. My friend Julia dated some famous nerd-core guy. At least, I think. Maybe MC Chris? Is that possible? I don't know.

it may have been http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC_Lars <<--this man?
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2007, 10:27:57 am
There is an MC Chris but that's not him. This is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mc_chris).
I think he's pretty funny but I can't in good faith recommend him to everyone.
His KH2 vs. RE4 rant is the bizeldy though.

The sweater thing alternately delights and terrifies me.
Not sure if I'd call it nerd core though, possibly sweater core?
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: side_show on May 14, 2007, 01:01:02 pm
See, I am sick and tired of the polished and untalented.  But I am also not interested in the unpolished and untalented.  I'll take a huge plate of the ugly and talented ilk, but this?  No thank you.  I saw Leslie Hall interviewed just a couple days ago, and I just wanted to smack her.  Even though I know she's doing it intentionally, working hard to be a total loser, I just want her to shut up.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 14, 2007, 01:11:04 pm
See, I am sick and tired of the polished and untalented.  But I am also not interested in the unpolished and untalented.  I'll take a huge plate of the ugly and talented ilk, but this?  No thank you.  I saw Leslie Hall interviewed just a couple days ago, and I just wanted to smack her.  Even though I know she's doing it intentionally, working hard to be a total loser, I just want her to shut up.

I was kind of going to say that, but probably meaner, which is why I didn't.  I actually got mad after about 30 seconds of that video.  I can't really place my anger though.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2007, 01:31:02 pm
My first reaction was like ss, mainly because I have a thing where if I see someone with their mouth open that wide (particularly young females in loud clothing) I want to hit that person with a stick until they lie still and be quiet. But after a while it's hideous idiocy grew on me and I got a giggle out of it.
That said I also assumed this was a random person doing a one off. If this is someone who is actually making money out of doing this repeatedly then I am worried.
Not watching it again though. Gives me way too many little britain flashbacks (a show which is not funny. At all. I don't care what their dvd sales are, everyone else is wrong).


R2: I don't know, would sweater core mosh? I kind of figured they'd knit.
But viciously.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: smick on May 14, 2007, 01:35:40 pm
My god. Large women with large hair in large sweaters, moshing.

That makes sweater core the sweatiest of all the 'cores.

Off topic: Holy Jesus, is that from "The Two Doctors" R2?  I was just watching that yesterday.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, while hit and miss, I enjoyed Little Britain.   I can't get enough of that Tony Head fellow and Tom Baker's voiceovers.  Though I'll add, for however much you can dislike the UK LB, I'm certain that I will despise the US remake even more.  Vicky Pollard, young Black urbanite?  The only gay in the south?  ugh.  Come up with some new ideas, for fuck sake.   Of course, our entertainment moguls are currently working on Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps and Beetlejuice 2.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: Doc on May 14, 2007, 01:44:56 pm
It's from 'the [vague hand wave] internet', but I've always had a special place in my heart for the Sontarans. Dudes have a recharging socket in the back of their neck for god's sake.
Thankyou! I've been trying to remember what their name was ever since you changed your avatar. Doctor who has too many evil alien races sometimes.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: V-Adore on May 14, 2007, 04:35:56 pm
See, I am sick and tired of the polished and untalented.  But I am also not interested in the unpolished and untalented.  I'll take a huge plate of the ugly and talented ilk, but this?  No thank you.  I saw Leslie Hall interviewed just a couple days ago, and I just wanted to smack her.  Even though I know she's doing it intentionally, working hard to be a total loser, I just want her to shut up.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the faked nerdcore; it seems to be counter to what the entire ethos of the nerdcore movement (to be exceptionally pretentious) is. Plus, let's be honest: her flow is not fresh.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: CortJstr on May 14, 2007, 04:40:19 pm
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the faked nerdcore; it seems to be counter to what the entire ethos of the nerdcore movement (to be exceptionally pretentious) is. Plus, let's be honest: her flow is not fresh.

Can for M.C. Menses reference
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: pmcd9 on May 14, 2007, 07:48:36 pm
I saw her perform last year and she was totally outrageous and funny as hell.

picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/255432591/)
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: side_show on May 14, 2007, 07:56:37 pm
I'm sure she was lovely Paul, but in that picture I want you to smack her.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: jaydub on May 14, 2007, 08:41:04 pm
Oh my.

So what's the deal with gemmed sweaters.  Is this a thing in some parts of the country?  Like green bean casseroles in presbyterian potlucks, or pink flamingos?
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: theinevitable on May 15, 2007, 12:24:39 am
I once ran into Tammy Faye Baker at the Steinmart near my high school. I should have known then to get the hell out of that place.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: linnea on May 15, 2007, 02:27:21 am
Gem sweaters are probably still worn un-ironically by middle-aged ladies in the midwest or something.

I never thought that they would be appropriated and worn ironically, although I probably should have seen it coming.

Also: I have finally enacted sweet revenge for the "What What (In The Butt)" video. Success.
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: ImpyChick on May 15, 2007, 02:57:22 am
*Note to self...I have about 4 weeks or so to hide all my gem sweaters...*
Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: smick on May 15, 2007, 06:12:53 am
In that picture, it looks like Hedwig kinda let herself go.

That being said, that statement sounds like I have issues both with Ladies Who Were Once Dudes, and Folks of Gravity.  Neither of which is the case.

Ladies Who Were Once Dudes and I go way back, since the old neighborhood.

Title: Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
Post by: side_show on May 15, 2007, 01:04:28 pm
Gem sweaters are probably still worn un-ironically by middle-aged ladies in the midwest or something.

There are definitely a contingent of the 55+ crowd around here that still wears them as their dress-up clothes around Christmas time.  All shoulder pads like linebackers.  All velveteen leggings, or maybe even a pair of stirrup #####.  All loving the egg salad at the buffet.  But those ladies are cluelessly endearing.

Also, yes, she is definitely on par with the What-what guy.  Those two should have a cage battle.