Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater  (Read 3102 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

OMG. This makes me so happy. Nerdcore, geekcore, whatever...it fuck*ng rocks.

One of my favorite blogs linked me to Leslie Hall's "Gem Sweater" vid on YouTube. God, this is so fuck*ng brill. I love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dGIesssq1Y

Wear your Gem Sweater, rock it loud and proud.
http://www.lesliehall.com/

Edited to fix link, I hope.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:42:10 am by linnea »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:35:03 am »

so. My friend Julia dated some famous nerd-core guy. At least, I think. Maybe MC Chris? Is that possible? I don't know.

it may have been http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC_Lars <<--this man?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:38:09 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:27:57 am »

There is an MC Chris but that's not him. This is.
I think he's pretty funny but I can't in good faith recommend him to everyone.
His KH2 vs. RE4 rant is the bizeldy though.

The sweater thing alternately delights and terrifies me.
Not sure if I'd call it nerd core though, possibly sweater core?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:33:49 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:01:02 pm »

See, I am sick and tired of the polished and untalented.  But I am also not interested in the unpolished and untalented.  I'll take a huge plate of the ugly and talented ilk, but this?  No thank you.  I saw Leslie Hall interviewed just a couple days ago, and I just wanted to smack her.  Even though I know she's doing it intentionally, working hard to be a total loser, I just want her to shut up.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:11:04 pm »

See, I am sick and tired of the polished and untalented.  But I am also not interested in the unpolished and untalented.  I'll take a huge plate of the ugly and talented ilk, but this?  No thank you.  I saw Leslie Hall interviewed just a couple days ago, and I just wanted to smack her.  Even though I know she's doing it intentionally, working hard to be a total loser, I just want her to shut up.

I was kind of going to say that, but probably meaner, which is why I didn't.  I actually got mad after about 30 seconds of that video.  I can't really place my anger though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:31:02 pm »

My first reaction was like ss, mainly because I have a thing where if I see someone with their mouth open that wide (particularly young females in loud clothing) I want to hit that person with a stick until they lie still and be quiet. But after a while it's hideous idiocy grew on me and I got a giggle out of it.
That said I also assumed this was a random person doing a one off. If this is someone who is actually making money out of doing this repeatedly then I am worried.
Not watching it again though. Gives me way too many little britain flashbacks (a show which is not funny. At all. I don't care what their dvd sales are, everyone else is wrong).


R2: I don't know, would sweater core mosh? I kind of figured they'd knit.
But viciously.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:34:46 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:35:40 pm »

My god. Large women with large hair in large sweaters, moshing.

That makes sweater core the sweatiest of all the 'cores.

Off topic: Holy Jesus, is that from "The Two Doctors" R2?  I was just watching that yesterday.

Edited to add: For what it's worth, while hit and miss, I enjoyed Little Britain.   I can't get enough of that Tony Head fellow and Tom Baker's voiceovers.  Though I'll add, for however much you can dislike the UK LB, I'm certain that I will despise the US remake even more.  Vicky Pollard, young Black urbanite?  The only gay in the south?  ugh.  Come up with some new ideas, for fuck sake.   Of course, our entertainment moguls are currently working on Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps and Beetlejuice 2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:40:05 pm by smick »
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:44:56 pm »

It's from 'the [vague hand wave] internet', but I've always had a special place in my heart for the Sontarans. Dudes have a recharging socket in the back of their neck for god's sake.
Thankyou! I've been trying to remember what their name was ever since you changed your avatar. Doctor who has too many evil alien races sometimes.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:35:56 pm »

See, I am sick and tired of the polished and untalented.  But I am also not interested in the unpolished and untalented.  I'll take a huge plate of the ugly and talented ilk, but this?  No thank you.  I saw Leslie Hall interviewed just a couple days ago, and I just wanted to smack her.  Even though I know she's doing it intentionally, working hard to be a total loser, I just want her to shut up.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the faked nerdcore; it seems to be counter to what the entire ethos of the nerdcore movement (to be exceptionally pretentious) is. Plus, let's be honest: her flow is not fresh.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the faked nerdcore; it seems to be counter to what the entire ethos of the nerdcore movement (to be exceptionally pretentious) is. Plus, let's be honest: her flow is not fresh.

Can for M.C. Menses reference
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 07:48:36 pm »

I saw her perform last year and she was totally outrageous and funny as hell.

picture
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »

I'm sure she was lovely Paul, but in that picture I want you to smack her.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41:04 pm »

Oh my.

So what's the deal with gemmed sweaters.  Is this a thing in some parts of the country?  Like green bean casseroles in presbyterian potlucks, or pink flamingos?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 12:24:39 am »

I once ran into Tammy Faye Baker at the Steinmart near my high school. I should have known then to get the hell out of that place.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah, nerdcore: Leslie Hall and the Art of the Gem Sweater
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 02:27:21 am »

Gem sweaters are probably still worn un-ironically by middle-aged ladies in the midwest or something.

I never thought that they would be appropriated and worn ironically, although I probably should have seen it coming.

Also: I have finally enacted sweet revenge for the "What What (In The Butt)" video. Success.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up