The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: ananke on May 22, 2007, 10:19:27 am

Title: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: ananke on May 22, 2007, 10:19:27 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05222007

Wow. This is just good. I'm not even laughing, I'm just kind of startled by the tone of this one. But I like it.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Doc on May 22, 2007, 12:11:10 pm
The tone doesn't exactly suprise me, this is Beef thinking about marriage, it's not going to be cheery, but it is a dramatic turn from this arc so far.
Kind of suprising he doesn't equate it with something much more horrible.

Also: Ananke, I always like to pretend the dude in your avatar (you?) is making airplane noises while running around with his arms stretched out. I hope this is ok with you.

Edit: I love Onstad's night time backgrounds. Freaking beautiful.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: ananke on May 22, 2007, 12:31:57 pm
Well, I was actually more startled by the tone of the last couple of frames of the last strip. I'm more sort of intrigued at the continuation of this sudden stark unhumor. It seems out of place in the Achewoods of the past few months. I'm not complaining, mind.

"You even think for a minute there's some better way to play it?" A great line, and I'm really excited to see where this ends up. I'm expecting an Emeril & Spongebath consultation again.

Edit: Not me, but your imagination is completely acceptable here.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: wombat on May 22, 2007, 12:32:08 pm
It's like we walk around with dynamite in our mouths. This is just too deep for first thing in the morning.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2007, 12:55:36 pm
This strip skips over the most important fact: Does the NSC have a Sentence of the Week?
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 22, 2007, 03:00:32 pm
Nearly any Achewood strip could have a missing fourth panel where a pig was pretty badly harmed by something related to the subjects of said strip. The missing fifth panel would involve the pig being cured, put into a fancy-looking wrapper and sent to the artist for the purposes of eating.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: hoogli44 on May 22, 2007, 03:32:06 pm
I have indeed let my mouth-dynamite explode on occasion.
"I didn't say you were a bitch. I said you were acting like a bitch."
Conversely, I've been blown-up on too:
"I really just like you as a friend." Ka-boom! I imagine myself standing there like a looney tune after smoking one of those exploding cigars.

Anyone else?
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Golfhaus on May 22, 2007, 04:16:35 pm
Being told by a girl that I liked, "Yeah, I went out with _________... we had a really good time, I ended up staying over at his place last night." In a way, I think this is almost worse than the "as a friend" line, because it prompts imagery. Infuriating, nauseating, imagery. Nothing makes a man lonlier than knowing the one he's after has found someone else.

Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: mrchee on May 22, 2007, 04:43:55 pm
Good Strip. 
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: CortJstr on May 22, 2007, 04:50:21 pm
Nearly any Achewood strip could have a missing fourth panel where a pig was pretty badly harmed by something related to the subjects of said strip. The missing fifth panel would involve the pig being cured, put into a fancy-looking wrapper and sent to the artist for the purposes of eating.

It's like the Achewood version of adding "in bed" to fortunes.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2007, 05:00:52 pm
Quote
Nothing makes a man lonelier than knowing the one he's after has found someone else to put his c*ck in her.

fixed that for you.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: V-Adore on May 22, 2007, 06:18:07 pm
This strip is great because it's true, really. And that's all I have to say about that.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: hammish on May 22, 2007, 06:18:29 pm
I want this missing fourth panel so badly. I can taste the dusty residue of previous explosions still clinging to the goggles. The undulation of the pig's jowls reeling from sentential impacts flappapates in my ears. Oh, if only I didn't know such a fourth panel were possible. And yet out of reach.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: ImpyChick on May 22, 2007, 06:34:20 pm
Being told by a girl that I liked, "Yeah, I went out with _________... we had a really good time, I ended up staying over at his place last night." In a way, I think this is almost worse than the "as a friend" line, because it prompts imagery. Infuriating, nauseating, imagery. Nothing makes a man lonlier than knowing the one he's after has found someone else.

Sad...but very, very, very true.  I'm generally not a lonely person.  Most of the time I enjoy being single.  And it's very rare that I get smitten with someone to the point of actually wanting a relationship with her.  And, more often than not, said girl finds someone else before I can pony up the guts to let her know how I feel. 
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Bimmicus on May 22, 2007, 07:31:23 pm
The depressed cat does not know which terrifies him more about the life-altering decision — the potential for misery or the potential for happiness.

Can't bury this one in the backyard, dude.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: theinevitable on May 22, 2007, 09:07:15 pm
PS the girl, too, always totally doesn't get that you like her, and tells you details about how cute the boy is, invites you to meet him, etc. You have to pretend you think it is great that they are dating because you are not a jerk.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Fwoosh on May 22, 2007, 09:29:56 pm
The depressed cat does not know which terrifies him more about the life-altering decision — the potential for misery or the potential for happiness.
i registered so i could say i like this sentence.

also to add a little more beef sympathy, best character, etc. i'm glad the story randomly veered in this direction.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: ImpyChick on May 23, 2007, 01:33:41 am
PS the girl, too, always totally doesn't get that you like her, and tells you details about how cute the boy is, invites you to meet him, etc. You have to pretend you think it is great that they are dating because you are not a jerk.

And then there are the ones who really do like you back.  But instead of just going on & saying something to YOU, they get a fake crush, or even start a fake relationship just to see if you'll do a last-ditch plea for her affection.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: jaydub on May 23, 2007, 01:39:31 am
Oh!  The wily, inscrutable ways of women!
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2007, 01:54:33 am
I...

I didn't need to know that they could do that. I was unhappy enough.

This is like when a kid learns about dying. The kid is all sad, and then some mean/bitter older kid is like "just wait!" and tells the kid about cancer and AIDs and starving children in Africa without anybody to love them.


...which reminds me of this. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/frauenfelder/495565809/)
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: ImpyChick on May 23, 2007, 02:25:06 am
I...

I didn't need to know that they could do that. I was unhappy enough.


Sorry.  If it makes you feel any better, I was once the girl that someone started a fake relationship with just to make the one she really liked jealous.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: theinevitable on May 23, 2007, 02:37:14 am
so. I am not sure why that post was so morose. I am not sure what "I am unhappy enough." was referring to, either. So, it is all good.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Bimmicus on May 23, 2007, 06:10:36 am
i registered so i could say i like this sentence.

I'll just say that I found myself in a similar position recently, and failed most spectacularly with it.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Beatrice on May 23, 2007, 08:45:37 am
but what about this? (http://www.flickr.com/photos/frauenfelder/495533686/in/photostream/)
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Doc on May 23, 2007, 10:18:24 am
Scrabble.... scrabble just on her face.
Scariest goddamn thing I've heard all day.


Do women really play all these fucked up mind games past age 16, or do you guys (or girls I suppose) just like to keep us paranoid?
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: wombat on May 23, 2007, 11:15:00 am
I dunno... if other females do such things, obviously there's another way in which I wasted my youth, but I guess in a good way.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: ktoad on May 23, 2007, 10:25:06 pm
I want this missing fourth panel so badly. I can taste the dusty residue of previous explosions still clinging to the goggles. The undulation of the pig's jowls reeling from sentential impacts flappapates in my ears. Oh, if only I didn't know such a fourth panel were possible. And yet out of reach.

(http://www.slightlydark.com/tim/porkwood.gif)
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: Doc on May 24, 2007, 11:06:55 am
So. Many. Cans.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 A Cutting Edge Comic
Post by: pmcd9 on July 08, 2007, 10:35:29 pm
Achewood is stealing material from Archie (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/756261423/).
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: V-Adore on July 08, 2007, 10:47:14 pm
Man, Jughead's activity is so poorly conveyed. (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/756261459_add17f652c_o.jpg)
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2007, 01:42:42 am
Man, Jughead's activity is so poorly conveyed. (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/756261459_add17f652c_o.jpg)

Aw man, that ain't right.  Jughead is the coolest of all.
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: V-Adore on July 09, 2007, 02:35:49 am
Well, in the literal sense of "I have no idea what he's doing in that panel." Walking? Dancing? WTF?
Title: Re: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence
Post by: pmcd9 on July 09, 2007, 02:40:18 am
Well, in the literal sense of "I have no idea what he's doing in that panel." Walking? Dancing? WTF?

Running, actually.