The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on May 31, 2007, 07:33:28 pm
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05312007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05312007)
Too many thread titles in this one to count.
-
I've been getting my own depress on for a few weeks, and Beef's ability to think himself into a positive place in this strip definitely lifted up my day.
Thanks, Chris.
-
I believe he's actually going to go through with it...
-
Wow. Just... wow. Everything about this is poetry, and I mean that literally. The words, the rhythm, the art.
Look at the change in Beef when he smiles. Have we ever seen that before? With any other character, I'd just assume we have, but Beef? To my mind this is a legitimate question. I mean, I definitely thought, "There's something odd going on with Roast Beef's face in panels 6-8," then I realized, "He's smiling!"
I can honestly say I've been where Beef is now. Repeatedly. Never on the order of magnitude of his situation (i.e. marriage), but on a smaller scale.
-
This is excellent. It's this kind of thing that keeps me coming back to Achewood -- not the gags, although those are funny as hell, but the moments where Onstad really just lets his characters shine, and poetry happens.
I am really pretty scared that this won't work out, but I'm along for the ride either way.
-
OH SHIIIIIT!
I got a job today, which is not on the same magnitude.
Golfhaus-- if you ever go to Moe's, the person saying "Welcome to Moe's!" might be me. Not the cool one on East Boulevard, though.
-
OH SHIIIIIT!
I got a job today, which is not on the same magnitude.
Golfhaus-- if you ever go to Moe's, the person saying "Welcome to Moe's!" might be me. Not the cool one on East Boulevard, though.
I got a job today too! I've always always wanted to work at a bookstore, and now I will.
In other news, this is beautiful. I really hope that they have kittens.
-
Look at the change in Beef when he smiles. Have we ever seen that before?
Yup. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092003)
Twice. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05242006) (atleast)
-
In other news, this is beautiful. I really hope that they have kittens.
At first I was about to say "Pets are nice and all, but why the enthusiasm?" and a second later went "Ooooooooooh....."
Such good character development you forget they are not human.
-
Yup. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092003)
Twice. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05242006) (atleast)
Also, the time I remember most distinctly is this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09122002) It doesn't happen very often though.
-
yeah, I work at Moe's... which is a Mexican place. I am not sure if they have them everywhere.
I know I am going to be the nutty dad. If I have kids.
-
My niece is always telling me, "You're like a teenager to me!". Considering how low my teenage years were in coolness, I don't find this flattering. Plus it usually preceeds an enthusiastic recounting of the latest episode of "Charmed".
-
I'm learning how to do animations in Photoshop and I thought you guys would enjoy this:
(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/hollinsdorothy/rbeefanimation.gif)
-
To think that today is only the fourth time Roast Beef has ever smiled. Hm.
When the kittens are born, will they walk on all fours or crawl? What of the situation with Molly's number of breasts? (Two. She has two.)
I have also always wanted to work in a bookstore.
-
I think the difference is that in the other three, Roast Beef's smiles are the smiles of excitement. This smile is the smile of contentedness. "OH WOW WOW WOW" vs "This shit's gonna be okay." This strip almost made me cry.
Inev, the one on Tryon, by Wild Wing Cafe? I drive past that one almost daily.
-
no. the one in super-south Charlotte. off Johnston. It is right down the street from my neighborhood.
so, do people not say "you're hired" or shake your hand or anything? The guy said "Is 5 on Monday good for you?" and I thought he meant for an interview. Then he said "we'll have a shirt and nametag, you can wear jeans or whatever. You can work until 9 or so." I feel like it was a similar non-event with my last job. huh.
Also: I didn't ask how much the pay is, because I was so surprised. So... I am wondering if anyplace else will call me back before monday. hm.
-
OH SHIIIIIT!
I got a job today, which is not on the same magnitude.
Golfhaus-- if you ever go to Moe's, the person saying "Welcome to Moe's!" might be me. Not the cool one on East Boulevard, though.
I think the difference is that in the other three, Roast Beef's smiles are the smiles of excitement. This smile is the smile of contentedness. "OH WOW WOW WOW" vs "This shit's gonna be okay." This strip almost made me cry.
Inev, the one on Tryon, by Wild Wing Cafe? I drive past that one almost daily.
Daniel, honey, if any weirdos start stalking you just give me a call and I will beat the shit out of them before finishing them off with my .357. Obviously you and Golfhaus are cool... but...I worry about you, kiddo.
*twitch* sorry, my stalker-o-meter is still waaaay too high. I still get skeeved out when I see the dude about town. I can't wait to leave so that I never have to see him again.
**EDIT: What the fuck, Last.fm? Jesus, I HATE mistagged shit!
-
I took a bunch of money from my family yesterday based on a promise that I will do well in school. Oh Shiiiiit!
-
yeah, I work at Moe's... which is a Mexican place. I am not sure if they have them everywhere.
I know I am going to be the nutty dad. If I have kids.
We have Moe's in Louisville. Any restaurant that has a menu item called a John Coctostan is OK with me.
-
Are you Party People sure you'd want Beef and Molly to have kittens? I mean, I'd be happy for them and all, and I know the general consensus around here is that Achewood already jumped the shark several years ago anyway, but I still dread the possibility of the strip being constantly about a baby.
There is a Moe's near my house in Atlanta. It has been the main meeting place for me and my friends since such a time as we had to get our parents to drive us there. It's also the only establishment I can think of where I can eat my pizza with a knife and fork without it weirding people out.
-
... they have pizza?
Until recently there was only one in Charlotte that I knew of, but this new one opened near my house.
Yeah, I don't think anyone will stalk me. More relevant is the picture I put up on flickr where I circled which window is mine for my dorm next year. But... I may have circled the wrong one?
-
and I know the general consensus around here is that Achewood already jumped the shark several years ago anyway,
What? Who thinks that? Not me.
-
What? Who thinks that? Not me.
Me neither. It's gone in a somewhat different direction, but I'm still really into it.
-
Wow, that didn't come out right at all. I think I may be misremembering something Jough said when someone was wondering if Achewood was about to jump the shark, or something like that. Or maybe it was someone else. Whatever the case, it's too dumb a statement to defend so I'll just pretend I never said it instead.
I don't think Achewood has jumped the shark, or that recent strips are of any worse quality than older ones. All I really meant to convey was my terrible fear of comic-strip babies. I don't see what Cassandra Jr. could add to a comic that already has Philippe and Baby/Toddler status updates, and there are certainly things he/she/it could take away from it. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing Beef and Molly get hitched. I can't help wondering how this is actually going to turn out, though... Onstad's been taking this one in a predictable direction a little to long not to have something up his sleeve.
But anyway, getting back off topic...
... they have pizza?
Do they have anything else? The one near my house is actually called "Moe's Pizza," even. Maybe it's a different franchise, but it's in the same part of the country and they use the "Welcome to Moe's!" catchphrase and everything, so I don't think that's it.
-
To think that today is only the fourth time Roast Beef has ever smiled.
I think this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06212004) might count.
-
I think this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06212004) might count.
I think "it is so rude to display the foils and spoils" is my favorite alt-text ever.
I've been to Moe's once, back in VA, when they first opened. A coworker had an invite to their "practice night" and couldn't go, so we went. It was nice. I'd go back again. In order to get to Inev's, we'd have to drive past another Moe's, so I don't know that I'll be making it to his establishment.
-
I think this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06212004) might count.
One of my top ten strips. I love Beef and Molly so hard. I think Onstad's writing really shines when they interact.
-
We like Moe's because kids eat free there on Tuesdays. Not the best burritos in town, but decent.
Also, OOOHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT
-
yeah, ok. It has to be a different franchise. Pizza is not the same thing as mexican food.
A-so: I had a dream last night that... mostly revolved around Mario 64. But at the end, Chris(t) Onstad had to save all of us from Aliens.
I spent most of my night... running around doing difficult tasks. When I messed up, I had to go all the way back to the beginning and start over.
-
Another instance of Beef smiling, if anyone's still interested. (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uuafdxgQ0)
-
Another instance of Beef smiling, if anyone's still interested. (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uuafdxgQ0)
That is indeed an awesome strip. Now all you need to do is learn how not to link to ass-bar, like so: one types this: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date= and then the date of the strip in mmddyyyy format, like so: 11202006 so putting it all together one gets: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11202006
It's just that easy.
-
I understand how to do it, and usually I do for daily strips etc. It's just an unnecessary hassle in the middle of a conversation - I rarely use assetbar, but if I'm on it, I'm going to link to it, since I don't hate assetbar all that much and I spend too much time making the hyperlink anyway.
If you want to see it in traditional mode, you can change the URL. It's just that easy.
-
The one near my house is actually called "Moe's Pizza," even. Maybe it's a different franchise, but it's in the same part of the country and they use the "Welcome to Moe's!" catchphrase and everything, so I don't think that's it.
There seem to be many Moe's eating establishments. The one I thought of is Moe's Southwest Grill (http://www.moes.com/) (warning: music), which makes a decent burrito but they better not try to expand out here or they will be ruined by the many Xberto's. I asked for Carne Asada at a Moe's when I was home for Christmas and they apparently don't use that term there.
Mr. Moe's Restaurant and Bar (http://www.mrmoes.com/) (warning: popup) does not seem to be one of the establishments in question here, but it's fully half of the first Google page and apparently has moose juice?
I don't think this Moe's Pizza (http://moespizza.net/home.htm) is the one mentioned, but it has a truly awesome website.
I can not find evidence of this particular Moe's restaurant that serves pizza on any of the interwebs. It must not exist.
-
yeah, I work at Moe's Southwest Grill.
-
I think Achewood is perpetually jumping the shark, and then swimming under it, and then setting up to jump it again. I do not think this is a bad thing. But since the very nature of the strip is that it's constantly redefining itself, to say that it jumped the shark is just missing the point.
Achewood is the Madonna of web comics.
-
1. All this talk about shark jumping makes me think of "Air Jaws."
2. Moe's sucks. QDope-A rocks.
3. Kittens! I'm okay with that.
-
no way! Qdoba is not as good at all.
I cannot give a good reason for this. mostly that my parents love Qdoba, and so we eat their food whenever we get take-out. I am sick of qdoba.
-
Personally I like Q-doba just a little bit better. Q-doba's roasted veggies are hell of tasty. I like the fact that I can get more burrito dressings at Moe's (cilantro, chopped jalapenos, onions and so forth).
-
Baja Fresh is the best burrito chain around, mi amigos.
-
Baja Fresh is the best burrito chain around, mi amigos.
It was. They just changed a bunch of stuff up. I don't think any items come with rice or beans on the side any more and they switched to Coke.
California Tortilla is still completely inedible.
-
I haven't been to Qdoba in a long time, but maaan, let me tell you...Chipotle rocks the hell out of their guacamole, ANY DAY OF THE WEEEK.
I usually get black beans, rice, pico de gallo and a medium or hot salsa, and a side of guac. Jesus, it's the most grelicious thing ever.
I have heard that Chipotle is owned by McDonald's... which really bothers me. That's why I won't google it online, because if they are, then I can never eat there again. *sniffle*