Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007  (Read 7206 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:33:28 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05312007

Too many thread titles in this one to count.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »

I've been getting my own depress on for a few weeks, and Beef's ability to think himself into a positive place in this strip definitely lifted up my day.

Thanks, Chris.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:42:30 pm »

I believe he's actually going to go through with it...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:52:32 pm »

Wow. Just... wow. Everything about this is poetry, and I mean that literally. The words, the rhythm, the art.

Look at the change in Beef when he smiles. Have we ever seen that before? With any other character, I'd just assume we have, but Beef? To my mind this is a legitimate question. I mean, I definitely thought, "There's something odd going on with Roast Beef's face in panels 6-8," then I realized, "He's smiling!"

I can honestly say I've been where Beef is now. Repeatedly. Never on the order of magnitude of his situation (i.e. marriage), but on a smaller scale.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:26:15 pm »

This is excellent. It's this kind of thing that keeps me coming back to Achewood -- not the gags, although those are funny as hell, but the moments where Onstad really just lets his characters shine, and poetry happens.

I am really pretty scared that this won't work out, but I'm along for the ride either way.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:48:56 pm »

OH SHIIIIIT!

I got a job today, which is not on the same magnitude.
Golfhaus-- if you ever go to Moe's, the person saying "Welcome to Moe's!" might be me. Not the cool one on East Boulevard, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:00:24 pm »

OH SHIIIIIT!

I got a job today, which is not on the same magnitude.
Golfhaus-- if you ever go to Moe's, the person saying "Welcome to Moe's!" might be me. Not the cool one on East Boulevard, though.

I got a job today too! I've always always wanted to work at a bookstore, and now I will.

In other news, this is beautiful. I really hope that they have kittens.

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 09:02:37 pm »

Look at the change in Beef when he smiles. Have we ever seen that before?
Yup.
Twice. (atleast)
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 09:04:17 pm »

In other news, this is beautiful. I really hope that they have kittens.

At first I was about to say "Pets are nice and all, but why the enthusiasm?" and a second later went "Ooooooooooh....."



Such good character development you forget they are not human.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:06:42 pm »

Yup.
Twice. (atleast)

Also, the time I remember most distinctly is this. It doesn't happen very often though.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:13:22 pm »

yeah, I work at Moe's... which is a Mexican place. I am not sure if they have them everywhere.

I know I am going to be the nutty dad. If I have kids.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 09:43:22 pm »

My niece is always telling me, "You're like a teenager to me!".  Considering how low my teenage years were in coolness, I don't find this flattering.  Plus it usually preceeds an enthusiastic recounting of the latest episode of "Charmed".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 09:44:08 pm »

I'm learning how to do animations in Photoshop and I thought you guys would enjoy this:

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 09:47:42 pm »

To think that today is only the fourth time Roast Beef has ever smiled. Hm.

When the kittens are born, will they walk on all fours or crawl? What of the situation with Molly's number of breasts? (Two. She has two.)

I have also always wanted to work in a bookstore.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: DAMMIT I MADE ALL THESE POTATOES - May 31st 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:58 pm »

I think the difference is that in the other three, Roast Beef's smiles are the smiles of excitement. This smile is the smile of contentedness. "OH WOW WOW WOW" vs "This shit's gonna be okay." This strip almost made me cry.

Inev, the one on Tryon, by Wild Wing Cafe? I drive past that one almost daily.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up