The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: linnea on June 28, 2007, 05:08:32 am

Title: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: linnea on June 28, 2007, 05:08:32 am
Whoa. Philippe's face is serious times in the last panel.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06282007
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: jaydub on June 28, 2007, 05:13:37 am
Linnea!  Link!
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Lister on June 28, 2007, 05:17:18 am
Lyle in these glasses is now Evil Wilford Brimley.

Also, I hear that sad Western movie music that begins with the bell striking when Phillippe opens that door.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: linnea on June 28, 2007, 05:33:31 am
Linnea!  Link!

SHIT! Thank you, J. I totally forgot that crucial bit of information.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 28, 2007, 09:10:22 am
Lyle in his glasses looks exactly like what G. Gordon Liddy looks like if you're very very high.

There. I said it.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: CortJstr on June 28, 2007, 12:58:12 pm
This can't be good for Phillipe's therapy (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10232001).
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: mrdna1 on June 28, 2007, 01:39:24 pm
I see this turning out like his trip to the dump, for some reason.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: V-Adore on June 28, 2007, 03:07:18 pm
The idea of a drinking fountain for dogs being in the bathroom is also sort of great, you have to admit. I can picture Philippe's mind racing furiously, concluding that, at last, it's just thoughtful, and now the dogs won't have to drink out of the toilet anymore! Win for everybody!
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: jaydub on June 28, 2007, 04:17:52 pm
Being the colonial rube that I am, I have seen bidets while travelling, and played with the controls a bit for amusement but haven't ever used one.  Is it used in lieu of, or in addition to, TP?
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: theinevitable on June 28, 2007, 04:52:19 pm
yeah, I've only seen one once, and couldn't figure the whole concept out. It's just so...

French.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Ruta Bagas on June 28, 2007, 05:31:35 pm
Re: the alt text - I have the same compulsion.

The same compulsion as a five year old cartoon stuffed otter.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: side_show on June 28, 2007, 06:48:19 pm
I used bidets several times in my childhood when visiting family in Europe.  I remember some tension and my mom explaining them to me back then.  But then I forgot about them.  So when I was in Bali and my bathroom had a bidet, I was uncertain which way to sit.. facing the wall, or facing out?  But I wanted to try it since the Indonesians love to make fun of use Westerners for using toilet paper, and they'd had a few good laughs at our expense about this during my visit.  Then I turned it on and it shot water right into my face!  Horrible!

In lieu of the question as to if a bidet is in lieu of TP or in addition to it, in my experience, in Europe it in addition to, and in Indonesia it's in lieu of.

Such a contentious addition to the bathroom.

And what do you do with the ass towel afterward?  That's what I want to know.  Especially in someone's house.  I mean, I don't want someone washing their hands and then using it....
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Gimpson on June 28, 2007, 07:09:06 pm
I heard an interview with no impact man (http://noimpactman.typepad.com/) on Brian Lehrer a while back, who is trying to live for one year with no environmental footprint.  About a third of the calls were people asking him questions about his bathroom habits.  Everybody wanted to know how he's getting by without toilet paper.  (A washing bowl and many washcloths is apparently the answer.) 
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: side_show on June 28, 2007, 07:37:37 pm
Yeah, the Indonesian folks in the parts of the country I visited just use their hands.  This is also apparently the case in some parts of Thailand and Malaysia and other parts of Asia too.

Here's some shots I took of two  bathrooms (http://www.flickr.com/photos/side_show/311301779/) in  Indonesia (http://www.flickr.com/photos/side_show/311301783/).  The first one was from a row of tiny little closet style rooms with tiled floors and drains in the middle.  The second one sort of almost looks like a trough-style urinal, but this was a women's washroom - none of us ever figured out how to used it.  At the Jakarta National Arts Centre, the womens washrooms had these low to the ground, individual, urinal style thingies that I never took a photo of.  One of the women explained that you sort of lean against it facing the wall while straddling, and there were two levers, one for a bidet style spray, the other for a flush, but it was too confusing.  What I really didn't understand is why everyone was neither wet nor pee smelly, as there was nary a towel for miles and miles.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2007, 07:46:57 pm
I heard an interview with no impact man (http://noimpactman.typepad.com/) on Brian Lehrer a while back, who is trying to live for one year with no environmental footprint.  About a third of the calls were people asking him questions about his bathroom habits.  Everybody wanted to know how he's getting by without toilet paper.  (A washing bowl and many washcloths is apparently the answer.) 

How does he have no environmental footprint if he's using a washcloth?  Come to think of it, the entire idea of no environmental footprint is absurd.  It's impossible.

Edit- Ok, I read his blog and he agrees sort of.  I didn't find anything where he explains how using a washcloth is a no impact choice though.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: wombat on June 28, 2007, 08:16:34 pm
You have to wash a washcloth. In hot water, I hope, if that's what you've used it for... Is it definite for sure that this has a smaller footprint than using toilet paper?
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2007, 09:17:48 pm
Is it definite for sure that this has a smaller footprint than using toilet paper?

I"m not at all convinced that's true.  One of the biggest environmental problems we face right now is we are running out of water (http://www.newswithviews.com/Wooldridge/frosty36.htm).  But as that article points out, it's not too much consumption, it's too many consumers.  But i've said on this board before and been shouted down for it, we only have one problem, overpopulation.  All of our other problems are a byproduct of that.  People, for god sakes stop breeding.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: ImpyChick on June 28, 2007, 09:25:24 pm
I've always said that gay people are God's way of slowing overpopulation.

Back on topic - I thought today's strip was really cute.  I'm looking forward to Philippe vs. the bidet.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2007, 09:53:46 pm
That's a C. M. Kornbluth world you're preaching there, buddy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons)

Not quite.  My vision has the elite leaving on the spaceships and leaving Earth to the Morons.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: jaydub on June 28, 2007, 10:08:50 pm
Don't blame me, my family is busy not-breeding itself out of existence.  My parent's generation has 11 people in it, mine has 13, and our kids (nephews, nieces, etc) is only at 6 and we're aging out of the breeding range quickly.  My father-in-law's name will be extinct if his granddaughter drops it in the future.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: wombat on June 28, 2007, 11:12:22 pm
Not quite.  My vision has the elite leaving on the spaceships and leaving Earth to the Morons.

But I like the earth!
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2007, 11:16:04 pm
But I like the earth!

Me too.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Golfhaus on June 29, 2007, 12:46:52 am
Don't blame me, my family is busy not-breeding itself out of existence.  My parent's generation has 11 people in it, mine has 13, and our kids (nephews, nieces, etc) is only at 6 and we're aging out of the breeding range quickly.  My father-in-law's name will be extinct if his granddaughter drops it in the future.

My family name drops if I don't have a boy. My daughter is probably going to end up relating more to her mother's name than mine. I've become interested in genealogy, in part, to see if this is really the case or if there is another branch out there.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: jaydub on June 29, 2007, 01:03:42 am
I'm the end of a long run of First Sons.  This has no practical significance.  The name is easily carried on by my brother's 2 boys, but of surprising note is the end of my Mom's mitochondrial DNA legacy.  I'm reluctant to point this out to her, as she had other regrets about not having a daughter of her own (4/4 boys), most of which she expresses through lavish spoiling of my daughter.  She likewise is the only girl of 3 sibs, and her mother's sisters uniformly failed to produce daughters.  Thus ends a genetic odyssey that began in 1880's Norway.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2007, 01:15:19 am
Meh. There are other people with my last name who aren't directly related to my dad. Plus I'm not related to my dad anyway. So I'm sticking to my having-no-kids plan.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Turbo Ninja on June 29, 2007, 07:58:37 pm
Me too.

I like the earth so much, I've decided to keep all my stuff here.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 29, 2007, 08:04:50 pm
I know what youre all gonna want to do. you want to complete the cycle of life, you want to make little people that look like you, you want to make more people.

DONT MAKE ANY MORE PEOPLE.

DONT. MAKE. PEOPLE.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: smick on June 29, 2007, 10:31:59 pm
I know what youre all gonna want to do. you want to complete the cycle of life, you want to make little people that look like you, you want to make more people.

DONT MAKE ANY MORE PEOPLE.

DONT. MAKE. PEOPLE.

I'd like to be contrary, but I tripped over a urologist and broke my vas defrens.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: smick on July 03, 2007, 05:21:40 pm
I occasionally go knocking around the childfree communities on livejournal. 

It's amazing the amount of loathing and hatred.   I'm always hoping that the people there are being hyperbolic. 

Then I came across this...

http://community.livejournal.com/childfree/8478200.html

There aren't even words.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: linnea on July 03, 2007, 05:22:57 pm
Hey, all the rest of you besides A-CAP, y'know, those of you I actually respect?

Don't take that post above to heart. If I wanted to say those things in that way to you  it would have already come up in one of the umpteenth other no child wantee discussions.

Dig it.

Yeah, it's always amusing when some 19 year old punk-ass jagoff decides that it's his God-given duty to "educate" others about the grievous errors of their ways. A-CAP, better write it all down now while you still know everything.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: CortJstr on July 03, 2007, 05:50:13 pm
I just don't like kids. So I'd rather have the disposable income.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: side_show on July 03, 2007, 05:59:49 pm
Hey, all the rest of you besides A-CAP, y'know, those of you I actually respect?

Don't take that post above to heart. If I wanted to say those things in that way to you  it would have already come up in one of the umpteenth other no child wantee discussions.

Dig it.

Ha.  Thanks for the clairification.  I was all... "Hey!  I give back!  I give so much!  Didn't we already talk about this?"
 
Smick, that link is terrifying.  Just... so scary.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Drastic Action on July 03, 2007, 06:00:43 pm
As soon as a group starts using an acronym to describe their lifestyle (Child Free becoming CF), and they start judging not only people, but comic characters on whether they conform to it, it loses any chance at being credible.

That said, I think there is a lot of merit in limiting how many children you have (and note, I am implying that it is a self-imposed limit, and not one put upon you by the state).  So many of the problems of the world come back to there being so many people running about that the concept of people only having enough babies to sustain the population seems a much nicer alternative.  But then of course, bringing such a thing about carries with it its own set of problems, some of which have already been discussed.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: smick on July 03, 2007, 06:08:56 pm

^
|  Stuff about Childfree

                                     Here's what I noticed about my post upon further review.

|  Stuff about The Breeders
v

Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: CortJstr on July 03, 2007, 06:12:59 pm

^
|  Stuff about Childfree

                                     Here's what I noticed about my post upon further review.

|  Stuff about The Breeders
v



Of course now you're going to listen to another song and ruin this wonderful image. Assuming that Last.fm doesn't take 3 weeks to update, that is.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: wombat on July 03, 2007, 06:15:40 pm
I am so weirded out by the idea of online communities about being 'childfree' that I can't even begin to explain.  If only because spending the time freed up by not having children by talking about the fact that you don't have children... You know that thing Lewis Black does where he shakes his head and his face flops all over the place when something really doesn't make sense? I need an animated icon of that.

It is good that some of you are continuing the species and I don't have to do it. Thank you. That's all.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 03, 2007, 06:35:10 pm
I might wanna be a dad some day... but I'd like to take a genuine shot at makin' a living as a writer first.

And to do that, I gotta live lean.

To afford raising a kid right in Bush's America, you gotta have the kind of job that does not allow a person like me with a damaged attention span to begin with to be able to follow his dreams on the side.

I guess my feelings are somewhere in the middle.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: kage23 on July 03, 2007, 07:55:37 pm
I just want to say that I love how a discussion about bidets can become a discussion about whether or not to have children.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: AugustWest on July 03, 2007, 08:33:14 pm
We did this once before and I ranted and raved.  I'm not doing it again. 
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: V-Adore on July 03, 2007, 08:41:20 pm
I believe I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the segments of childfree that bother me are the ones that seem personally offended at the idea that anyone has ever had a child, and particularly that someone has taken that child into a public place. Make the (non-)reproductive decisions you want to, but Christ, being upset simply because children exist and are sometimes in public places, sometimes even making sounds, makes you a prick.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: theinevitable on July 03, 2007, 09:21:59 pm
basically I have no respect for people who can't tolerate children even sometimes. I mean, is it that hard to put up with a kid for 30 minutes? JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE.

I don't know... I am basically impossible to annoy, usually, and overly tolerant. The thing I am not tolerant of is... people who are easily annoyed, basically.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: smick on July 03, 2007, 09:43:14 pm
My big issue is that they support Cathy.  Ack!
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 03, 2007, 10:37:27 pm
Overpopulating the planet is totally a Hunt's Move.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Lister on July 04, 2007, 05:38:39 am
Overpopulation: Bad.

Being a dick with regards to your opinion: Also bad.

Mental image of how to use a bidet in a mean manner: OH MY GOD MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP DEAR LORD THE WORLD MADE SENSE YESTERDAY
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: AlohaDawg on July 16, 2007, 03:34:15 am
Word, Ash, your post a page or two back says it all, as long as the reader takes it with a grain of salt. People who don't like kids I don't get -you were one, right? People loved you and put up with you and you turned out OK, right? I treasure every moment with my kids; I treasure other people's kids too and I truly believe that we should treat every child like our own child - wouldn't the world be a better place for kids if we all looked out for all of them, took the moments to lead, teach, nurture and love them when it's needed?

Seriously, if you want a better planet and better neighborhood, an active role is the most important thing you can take.

Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Dullscythe on July 18, 2007, 11:16:22 am
Using a bidet in a mean manner is entirely the reason why, now and forever, I am childfree.


 :(
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: jaydub on July 18, 2007, 04:42:52 pm
Your spouse tore it from the floor and beat your junk with it?
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Doc on July 19, 2007, 10:02:06 am
Your spouse tore it from the floor and beat your junk with it?

His hogging of the bidet made his junk inoperable.

Also: A-CAP, please no animated gif sigs, please.
I'm begging here man.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 19, 2007, 11:30:18 am
His hogging of the bidet made his junk inoperable.

Also: A-CAP, please no animated gif sigs, please.
I'm begging here man.

done.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: Doc on July 19, 2007, 12:03:30 pm
Many thanks.
Title: Re: 28 June 2007 - A bidet's only as mean as the guy usin' it.
Post by: iron_felix on July 27, 2007, 07:13:17 pm
I have nothing of value to contribute to the overpopulation/childbearing/junk atrophy debate, which seems to have died out on its own now anyway.  However, I was a child myself when I had my first encounter with a bidet.

I was so confused that I somehow managed to chip my tooth on it.  My memory is a bit hazy as to how exactly that happened, but then I suppose it's probably better that way.