The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jaydub on July 05, 2007, 11:47:23 pm

Title: Bumper stickers?
Post by: jaydub on July 05, 2007, 11:47:23 pm
I used to be an Option 1.  Now I'm a 2.  Which is amusing considering I'm tattoo'd.  Easier to mark my skin than my car I guess.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 05, 2007, 11:59:45 pm
I used to have a Howard Dean, a Radiohead and a "If you think putting on a condom is hard, try it with paws:  Have your pets spayed or neutered" bumper stickers.  Now, I have some remains of the cheap ass Radiohead one, but besides that they are all gone.  I may or may not put more bumper stickers on my car, but I doubt they will be political.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2007, 12:23:29 am
I had a bunch in high school. Now I just have a Mary dot (http://www.maryprankster.com) and a parking permit. Which expired Saturday, now that I think about it.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 12:25:16 am
"If you think putting on a condom is hard, try it with paws:  Have your pets spayed or neutered"

That is excellent.

I have What We Need More of is Science on my dashboard where I can enjoy it myself.  On the bumper I have two pug-related stickers. (A neighbor introduced me to her new roommate by saying "She drives the Pug Bug.")  In my drawer I have a Republicans for Voldemort that I have never gotten the nerve to put on the car.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: AugustWest on July 06, 2007, 01:17:06 am
Mrs. West put a "Keep Louisville Weird" sticker on the back of the Ranger.  I think that's the only one on any of the vehicles.  I'm generally an Option A type of guy.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: AugustWest on July 06, 2007, 01:18:34 am
I'm generally an Option A type of guy.

Only, not exactly.  It's not about not defacing the vehicle -- I'm a huge slob.  It's more that I don't wear my opinions on my sleeve (or my bumper.)
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: linnea on July 06, 2007, 01:27:42 am
I have an Alaska State Firefighters Association sticker and an NREMT (blue star of life) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_life) sticker on there. Well, I had them on my rig in AK, but I'm going to put them on my new vehicle when I get one.

I'm a big fan of innocuous stickers. Plus, I always try to trash cars that have those annoying anti-abortion stickers on 'em.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Golfhaus on July 06, 2007, 01:41:44 am
On an old car I had a "Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Republican" sticker.

My last car was adorned with a "Militant Agnostic: I don't know and you don't either" sticker.

My current car just has a small Redskins sticker to the left, and a small Tony Stewart sticker to the right.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2007, 01:53:31 am
(http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/stickers.jpg)
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Golfhaus on July 06, 2007, 01:54:13 am
Unamerican HELL YES.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 06, 2007, 02:17:49 am
I chose option 1, which is funny considering I drive an artcar.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2007, 02:38:10 am
I guess I am 3, 4, 5 & 7.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 02:44:10 am
My last car was adorned with a "Militant Agnostic: I don't know and you don't either" sticker.


This is also quite excellent.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 06, 2007, 03:19:52 am
Only, not exactly.  It's not about not defacing the vehicle -- I'm a huge slob.  It's more that I don't wear my opinions on my sleeve (or my bumper.)

I am the same way-- even when I had bumper stickers I looked down on any type of writing on tees (it is either free advertising or a really dumb way to say things).  Now all the stickers are gone, but I would get one like the spayed or neutered one again-- it is funny, a good cause, and not really something that is, idk, like, uh... no one will make a profit?  Basically it was funny.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: jaydub on July 06, 2007, 03:22:11 am
I guess I am 3, 4, 5 & 7.

With the tiny writing at the bottom of the punk one you're going to get rear ended by someone trying to get close enough to read.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2007, 04:06:53 am
my car only has a "Washington University, St Louis" one. but it's one of those clear ones that goes on the window... basically you can't see it.

I have no other stickers, as it technically isn't my car. It's my parents car, which they let me drive.

I own a darwin giraffe sticker, but I don't plan on putting it on my car.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: linnea on July 06, 2007, 04:28:44 am
my car only has a "Washington University, St Louis" one. but it's one of those clear ones that goes on the window... basically you can't see it.

I have no other stickers, as it technically isn't my car. It's my parents car, which they let me drive.

I own a darwin giraffe sticker, but I don't plan on putting it on my car.

My younger sister put a Darwin giraffe on her car when she was in high school, and some Christian kids defaced it. Way to set a Christ-like example, guys.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2007, 05:11:31 am
We had Ralph Wiggum picking his nose on the back of the SO's truck until vandals smashed the window in.  Now it is bare.  I've never had my own bumper sticker, though I used to sneak around placing bumper stickers on friend's rear windows that said odd things just for fun.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2007, 05:24:19 am
I have a really really sinister urge to put some sort of Anti-SUV or offensive bumper sticker on the back of the cars of these people down the street. Their driveway is basically full of SUVs-- usually, also a Hummer.

I'm thinking small, "I'm Compensating for Something."
With super glue.

I won't do it, though.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: ImpyChick on July 06, 2007, 07:02:15 am
I have a Human Rights Campaign equality sticker on my car.

I'm too lazy to actually order one, but if someone off the street gave me one of those "Republicans for Voldemort" bumper stickers I would definitely put that on my car.  Yeah, I'm that nerdy.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2007, 01:06:01 pm
The Stewart/Colbert 08 stickers that started turning up a few months ago are amusing.

But the best is when you see a car that's just covered in stickers they made themselves. Before I moved I would see this one car every single day with basically a manifesto about how much the driver hated Clinton. It was especially interesting because this was in like 2002.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2007, 01:52:57 pm
I'm a big fan of innocuous stickers. Plus, I always try to trash cars that have those annoying anti-abortion stickers on 'em.
My younger sister put a Darwin giraffe on her car when she was in high school, and some Christian kids defaced it. Way to set a Christ-like example, guys.

hrm.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Gimpson on July 06, 2007, 04:01:03 pm
I still have stickers for two bands I really don't care much about these days.  (Big Smith (http://www.bigsmithband.com) and Steve Kimock Band (http://www.kimock.com).)  People often think the Big Smith bumper sticker is something obscene, so maybe that's a #4.  My falling apart Kansas City Royals window decal was recently replaced by a Green Bay Packers "G" I acquired last time I was up in Wisconsin. 

Also, the "M" in my CAMRY badging fell off again, and when I tried to Gorilla Glue it back on I forgot it was still drying and accidentally closed the trunk.  The M then fell off and landed on my bumper where I didn't discover it until the next day, at which point the glue was dry.  So I guess that "M" is kind of a bumper sticker. 
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: linnea on July 06, 2007, 06:13:27 pm
hrm.

I know, dude. But it's not hypocritical because I have such seething hatred for those evil stupid idiot fucks. I'm not trying to set a Christ-like example for these extremist assholes who try to hide the likes of James Kopp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Charles_Kopp) or Eric Rudolph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Robert_Rudolph). You wanna talk about American terr'ists, look at them.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 06:21:24 pm
I saw a bumper sticker that maybe I ought to have that says Warning: driver is singing.

Also, people, don't cover the whole back of your car with stickers. It's a safety hazard, I shouldn't be driving and trying to read at the same time.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Limmo on July 06, 2007, 06:37:18 pm
It is not a goddamned phone restaurant!

For some reason I started collecting Happy Bunny stickers (http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/CTGY/happybunny), with the intent of stealthily defacing the bumper stickers of the cranially challenged.  I keep them in my glove compartment.

A few weeks ago, I saw some douchebag in a gigantic pickup truck with a sticker that read "I Would Be Embarrassed To Be a Democrat."  Now, let's face it, sometimes I AM embarrassed to be a registered Democrat, especially lately.  But I still felt like this guy could use this Happy Bunny sticker (http://www.stickersnjunk.com/servlet/the-64/It-would-be-neat/Detail).

I followed him for a few blocks, but then I thought better of the whole thing.  Either that or I chickened out.

Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: linnea on July 06, 2007, 07:11:48 pm
It is not a goddamned phone restaurant!

Heh, I love the Pat-isms. He's such an asshole. Which is why we <3 him.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 06, 2007, 07:42:50 pm
I know, dude. But it's not hypocritical because I have such seething hatred for those evil stupid idiot fucks. I'm not trying to set a Christ-like example for these extremist assholes who try to hide the likes of James Kopp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Charles_Kopp) or Eric Rudolph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Robert_Rudolph). You wanna talk about American terr'ists, look at them.

I pretty much figured that. It ain't right for folks to call themselves Christian and then still be fuckers like I am.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 07, 2007, 01:36:06 am
I know, dude. But it's not hypocritical because I have such seething hatred for those evil stupid idiot fucks. I'm not trying to set a Christ-like example for these extremist assholes who try to hide the likes of James Kopp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Charles_Kopp) or Eric Rudolph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Robert_Rudolph). You wanna talk about American terr'ists, look at them.

What kind of stickers inspired you to trash cars?
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: linnea on July 07, 2007, 02:53:45 am
What kind of stickers inspired you to trash cars?

It's not like I was throwing Molotov cocktails into their windows, people. If you put stickers on your car like that, you have turned your personal property into a public forum for debate. We have all heard this issue debated ad nauseum. I'm not going into it. 
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 07, 2007, 02:54:05 am
What kind of stickers inspired you to trash cars?

I don't know about Somebody nice, but this (http://www.rockmerch.com/merchandise/insane-clown-posse-black-vc-logo-sticker.html) works for me every time.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2007, 03:46:10 am
Quote
If you put stickers on your car like that, you have turned your personal property into a public forum for debate.

So, like, if I wore an obnoxious anti-choice shirt, you would such as smear hunt's ketchup on it?
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: linnea on July 07, 2007, 03:58:03 am
So, like, if I wore an obnoxious anti-choice shirt, you would such as smear hunt's ketchup on it?
[/quote

It's more than a Hunt's move to encourage fugs like Kopp and Rudolph.

Anyway, if you were wearing an ICP shirt then that would most definitely require a liberal application of Hunt's.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2007, 05:17:52 am
I dunno about that. I have a high level of respect for anti-abortion people, on some weird level. I mean, if I agreed with them, I'd probably be pretty intense about it too. Like, if you think that a fetus is the same as a living baby... then it is baby-murdering that is going on. Which means, you know, that it's pretty unassailable, morally, to be pretty intense about hating people who are killing babies.

Not that I agree with them. I just... understand their thought process.

But, I mean... defacing people's cars? I don't know. I don't agree with that kind of shit from either side of an argument.

Also, wtf does liking ICP have to do with things? They are lame. (unless ICP stands for something I am not aware of?)
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 07, 2007, 05:22:11 am
But, I mean... defacing people's cars? I don't know. I don't agree with that kind of shit from either side of an argument.

Agreed. I mean, I have a high level of respect for linnea on this board, but...that's people's personal property and they have a right to express their views without getting their shit vandalized.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: theinevitable on July 07, 2007, 05:23:37 am
to clarify:

I really have no idea what I think about abortion. my gut instinct is that it should be allowed. this is my stated belief on the topic.

but as complex of an issue as it is, I basically get pissed off by both sides. it is complex, and both sides over-simplify it, intellectually/morally belittle the other side, etc.

don't hate me, por favor.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 07, 2007, 05:43:48 am
Also, wtf does liking ICP have to do with things? They are lame. (unless ICP stands for something I am not aware of?)


I don't know about Somebody nice, but this (http://www.rockmerch.com/merchandise/insane-clown-posse-black-vc-logo-sticker.html) works for me every time.


But yeah, I agree with inev completely.  Well, I am pretty sure that abortion should be legal, but the other things.


Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Limmo on July 07, 2007, 05:46:04 am
Let's keep the abortion out of our nice little thread about bumper stickers.  Please?

As far as the whole "defacing" thing goes: if you put an obnoxious statement on your car, one that you know will piss people off, then AFAIC you can't be surprised when someone actually gets pissed off and makes a statement right back to you. 

If that statement is smashing your windshield or sugaring your gas tank, that's wrong.

If that statement is putting an easily removed bumper sticker of your own next to the original, that's still wrong, but it's a tiny little wrong. 
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: wombat on July 07, 2007, 12:25:38 pm
Let's keep the abortion out of our nice little thread about bumper stickers.  Please?


Yes, please do not go there.

I am kind of amused at the idea of putting contradictory stickers on people's cars. But it it easy for me to say since I can't imagine that anyone is going to want to contradict my pug sticker with a poodle sticker.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 07, 2007, 02:20:12 pm
If that statement is putting an easily removed bumper sticker of your own next to the original, that's still wrong, but it's a tiny little wrong. 

Is that the kind of vandalism we're talking about? Agreed, that's not that big of a deal, that's more like discourse than vandalism.

I was also concerned with linnea equating all anti-abortion people with the kind of assholes who hide mass murderers like Kopp.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 07, 2007, 02:57:18 pm
We all understand there are incindiary statements that you can make just to rile others up. We also understand that they work, and people get riled up, and you shouldn't be surprised when people want to raise a pop-knot on your head. Shall we move on, has this been sufficiently derailed with the life/choice bullshit that it needs to be locked?
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Limmo on July 07, 2007, 05:26:59 pm
I don't think it needs to be locked.  I don't think we've fully explored the universe of sticker-y goodness out there. 

Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2007, 05:37:25 pm
My friend pinstriped a car (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/286415699/in/photostream/).
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 07, 2007, 06:40:04 pm
During the Subway World Series, I angrily ripped a Yankees flag off someone's car in one of my college's parking garages.

In my defense, I was profoundly blindingly drunk. I woke up with a huge bruise on my hand where I snapped the plastic flagpole off and found that I had scrawled on the flag in thick black marker:

"JETER CHUGZ COX".

Again, blindingly drunk. I convinced myself that doing shot after shot of 151 rum would help my team and it sorta went downhill from there.

I have spent much of the last few years stopping myself from getting a bunch of bumper stickers that say "By Bringing Them Home" printed up and just... keeping them on me to put under those "support our troops" bumper stickers when I see them.

But I'm basically too much of a coward if not blindingly drunk.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 07, 2007, 07:54:44 pm
Again, blindingly drunk. I convinced myself that doing shot after shot of 151 rum would help my team and it sorta went downhill from there.

So you're telling me that getting plowed during my team's games is not helping them win? Sorry, Marty - all that might have been my fault.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Lister on July 07, 2007, 09:43:46 pm
(http://www.wondermark.com/st_bumper.jpg) (http://www.wondermark.com/wm_store.html#stickers)

I don't use bumper stickers, but if I did this would be it.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Doc on July 08, 2007, 01:42:09 am
Lister understands bumper stickers perfectly.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2007, 01:43:18 am
Thankfully I do not have nuanced views. Fire bad! Chocolate Babies Good!
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 09, 2007, 05:45:48 pm
I have a Washington Nationals sticker on my car.

Because I felt the need to show affinity to an organization of people making millions, to whom I'm already giving several hundred bucks a year.  Yeah.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 09, 2007, 11:49:06 pm
My vehicle displays only my school and masonic affiliations. My best friend's jeep, on the other hand, has loud bumperstickers warning flag burners, pro-choicers, and something to do with the rebel flag. Of all of these, the one that someone chose to deface was a fan sticker for the german national soccer team.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 10, 2007, 01:47:29 am
My vehicle displays only my school and masonic affiliations. My best friend's jeep, on the other hand, has loud bumperstickers warning flag burners, pro-choicers, and something to do with the rebel flag. Of all of these, the one that someone chose to deface was a fan sticker for the german national soccer team.

You gotta watch out talking about that German national soccer team - look what happened to you! You're at -7 cans now!
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Doc on July 10, 2007, 09:32:15 am
masonic affiliations

How did that group go from gold standard for secret society that probably rules the world to bumper stickers in just a few decades? Nothing against the masons, the few I know go in for a lot of good charitable work etc. it's just that the phrase 'Masonic bumper sticker' sticks in my language processing centres.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 10, 2007, 12:00:10 pm
You gotta watch out talking about that German national soccer team - look what happened to you! You're at -7 cans now!
I've been losing cans for no probable cause. The point of the whole 'anonymous reasonless karmic can' system is lost on me.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: CortJstr on July 10, 2007, 01:12:41 pm
How did that group go from gold standard for secret society that probably rules the world to bumper stickers in just a few decades? Nothing against the masons, the few I know go in for a lot of good charitable work etc. it's just that the phrase 'Masonic bumper sticker' sticks in my language processing centres.

Does one still get excommunicated for joining the masons?
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 10, 2007, 01:15:33 pm
No, the pope dropped that battle a long time ago. There are many catholic members.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 10, 2007, 02:00:12 pm
I live across the street from a former Masonic temple. My neighbor told me it started going downhill about 30 years ago, with less and less members, and the ones who did show up were doddering up and down the sidewalk. Then they ended up having to rent it out for kids dances and stuff like that, and then they had to sell it. I think the Masons have fallen on hard times.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2007, 02:23:18 pm
I think I've mentioned here before that I got a small bursary from the Masons at my graduation, right?  Anyway, when I went up at my grad ceremony, the mason guy handed me an envelope, shook my hand, and whispered in my ear "the envelope it empty.  I forgot the check at home.  We'll mail it to you, okay?"  It's interesting that a secret society gave me an empty envelope at a ceremony.... I can't help but think it was a signal that I don't understand.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 10, 2007, 03:19:59 pm
I worked for a while with a guy who was a DeMolay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeMolay), and presumably later a Mason. He took it pretty seriously, but we pretty much thought he was a clown. He's very active and high-up in Alaska politics now - he's run a few campaigns for Stevens and his ilk ('his ilk' always sounds bad to me).

Shit, I guess being a Mason works.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: theinevitable on July 10, 2007, 05:33:39 pm
my grandfather was a Mason back in the day-- but he gave it up because you couldn't be a Catholic and a Mason, and my grandma is really Catholic. So, he dropped that shit like a bag of used syringes, apparently.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 10, 2007, 08:43:44 pm
I work in a former Mason Fraternity.  It is a wicked cool building, but they ended up having to sell it to the University.

In other words, yeah, hard times for the Masons.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 10, 2007, 09:16:52 pm
The decline in masonic membership is directly correlated to the advent of color television and the internet. People are more content these days to stay at home rather than entertain themselves with fraternal business. The same is true for almost every other group of the sort: elks lodges, odd fellows, VFW, american legion, etc. I was a DeMolay until I turned 21, and that branch of freemasonry is actually expanding and growing (its huge in Brazil for some reason). I joined freemasons because I have a huge respect for the long history and I've always enjoyed fraternal fellowship. The position of the catholic church has been dubious for a couple decades. Some cardinals have written with a neutral position while the previous pope reiterated a negative position, but not the penalty of excommunication.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 10, 2007, 10:01:35 pm
The decline in masonic membership is directly correlated to the advent of color television and the internet. People are more content these days to stay at home rather than entertain themselves with fraternal business. The same is true for almost every other group of the sort: elks lodges, odd fellows, VFW, american legion, etc. I was a DeMolay until I turned 21, and that branch of freemasonry is actually expanding and growing (its huge in Brazil for some reason). I joined freemasons because I have a huge respect for the long history and I've always enjoyed fraternal fellowship. The position of the catholic church has been dubious for a couple decades. Some cardinals have written with a neutral position while the previous pope reiterated a negative position, but not the penalty of excommunication.

German soccer and now the Masons?



Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -∞
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 10, 2007, 10:44:25 pm
As a recovering Catholic, I am definitely less disinclined toward Worldwide Global Conspiracies that are anti-Catholic.

If one of them HAS to win... and I suppose one of them does... I'd definitely take the Masons over the Scientologists or the Republicans or Facebook or something like that.

If the Catholics are specifically against you, you can't be all bad.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 10, 2007, 10:53:22 pm
German soccer and now the Masons?



Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -∞

It might just as well be. 100 cans or -100 cans has the same end effect on me.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 10, 2007, 11:31:46 pm
It might just as well be. 100 cans or -100 cans has the same end effect on me.

But . . . but . . . how will you know if you're cool?
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 11, 2007, 03:32:14 am
By how well your fantasy teams are doing*.

Duh.

*I will be much less cool when football comes around.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: Nabubrush on July 11, 2007, 03:54:11 am
By how well your fantasy teams are doing*.

Duh.

*I will be much less cool when football comes around.

That's the second shot I've taken from you guys today.
Title: Re: Bumper stickers?
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 11, 2007, 04:59:24 am
We kid because we love, 'Bu.

We kid because we love.