The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2007, 03:02:35 pm

Title: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2007, 03:02:35 pm
I want this guy's job. (http://www.ericharshbarger.com/lego/desk.html)

I apologize if you've all seen this before.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: side_show on July 08, 2007, 03:15:20 pm
Fascinating that someone would stipulate such a thing in a contract. 

At my one theatre job, I make contracts for other artists to sign on a regular basis, and I occasionally slip in an odd stipulation to see if the other person is actually reading what they are signing.  Indeed they are not. The same artist has agreed to provide me with back masages on demand and come up with a dozen Haiku's honouring me.  He is clearly not aware of this, but perhaps I will one day hold him to it.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: linnea on July 08, 2007, 06:57:38 pm
Fascinating that someone would stipulate such a thing in a contract. 

At my one theatre job, I make contracts for other artists to sign on a regular basis, and I occasionally slip in an odd stipulation to see if the other person is actually reading what they are signing.  Indeed they are not. The same artist has agreed to provide me with back masages on demand and come up with a dozen Haiku's honouring me.  He is clearly not aware of this, but perhaps I will one day hold him to it.

Heh, smells...you rock so hard. CAN'D.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: side_show on July 08, 2007, 07:55:55 pm
I also contracted someone to "bring the funny" but he was teaching an improv class, and he did meet this demand. 

I also contracted a lady to do an intro to performance workshop, her contract stipulating that she was to "show them the ropes!" and she said she seriously considered bringing a bag of ropes with her and just pointing at them.  "There they are.  The ropes.  Enjoy." 

The artist who works for me who I mentioned in the last post has an ethnic first name that rhymes with "cock."  Since I already new from past contracts that he wasn't reading the contracts I made for him, I once made him a contract to "rock out with his (first name) out," but then came to my senses, remembered I was contracting him to make puppets with Gr.2's, shredded the contract and started again.  I told him about it later, and he said he might get a t-shirt made with this on it, but just not wear it at the children's theatre.  "You should.  You should do that.  You do rock out after all."  "Cool.  Will you make it for me?"  "What?  No!  How much do you think I make here?"

It is all part of my denial that I am anybody's boss.  That is what it is.  I do not need therapy to see that.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: wombat on July 08, 2007, 08:44:30 pm
Whoa, good timing, I just went back and looked at a contract I am about to sign... no haiku or massages, it turns out, but I'm glad I checked.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2007, 09:06:35 pm
LEGO

DESK.

What the HELL, people?
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 08, 2007, 09:46:36 pm
LEGO

DESK.

What the HELL, people?

I thought the desk was cool.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 08, 2007, 10:47:35 pm
I thought the desk was cool.

Thank you.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: V-Adore on July 08, 2007, 11:51:43 pm
I just have to wonder who this guy was, that he not only got this in his contract (although that could have just been ignorance) but that it actually got done. Whose balls did the eventual owner of that desk have in a vise?
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 09, 2007, 01:56:37 am
This is my favorite part:

Quote from: Eric Harshbarger, the Lego guy
Here are some facts about The Desk:
 
Yes, the top is bumpy -- studs up. I offered to make the top smooth, but the client specifically requested otherwise. Whatever.

Well of course he wanted the studs up. He wants to be able to build houses when he's at work.



Edit: also, Lego dude might want to talk to someone about this. (http://www.ericharshbarger.com/coins.html)
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: linnea on July 09, 2007, 03:06:42 am
This is my favorite part:

Well of course he wanted the studs up. He wants to be able to build houses when he's at work.



Edit: also, Lego dude might want to talk to someone about this. (http://www.ericharshbarger.com/coins.html)

Jesus Christ, dude. There are easier ways to make $9.82 over the course of two years.
Does the guy have a PDA where he tracks this shit? Damn.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Doc on July 09, 2007, 07:24:18 am
Keeping track of the coins doesn't seem too crazy for me, but he notes down the *time*. I'm kind of suprised it isn't to the second or something similarly obsessive.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Lister on July 09, 2007, 07:47:19 am
Hah, the funniest thing about that (to me) was I glanced down the list and thought, "Oh, weird, another Mama Goldberg's.  I haven't thought of that place since college.  I wonder where this one is?"

And it's not another one.

Fun fact: I know how to pronounce "Debardeleben."

Wow I Feel Old Fact: When I was in school, there were no Starbucks in the area.

EDIT: Kind of Creepy Coincidence Fact: One of the people in this guy's links page was best man at my sister's wedding.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2007, 06:46:15 pm
If I ever get a lego desk, I sure as hell don't want it glued together.  I mean, using pieces of it to make other things would be half the fun.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 09, 2007, 07:50:02 pm
We used to build habitats for our gerbils out of Legos*. This is frought with negative consequences, and I cannot recommend it.

Fuck calling them LegoŽ bricks.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2007, 07:59:59 pm
Oh!  Nibbled lego!  Oh! Poopy lego!  Nooooo!
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Drygioni on July 09, 2007, 09:58:54 pm
Me and my brothers once spent a summer (and all our money) constructing an almost perfect life size replica of my youngest brother (he was little at the time thankfully).

In a fit of rage, it was pushed down the stairs and it was not glued. It smashed into six pieces: head, arms, legs and torso. In the stupid way young teenagers do, I told my brother this is what would happen to him if he fell down the stairs, and it took him about a month before he would navigate the stairs without someone carrying him down.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 09, 2007, 11:18:01 pm
Me and my brothers once spent a summer (and all our money) constructing an almost perfect life size replica of my youngest brother (he was little at the time thankfully).

In a fit of rage, it was pushed down the stairs and it was not glued. It smashed into six pieces: head, arms, legs and torso. In the stupid way young teenagers do, I told my brother this is what would happen to him if he fell down the stairs, and it took him about a month before he would navigate the stairs without someone carrying him down.

Heartwarming story, Judy.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 09, 2007, 11:31:14 pm
Me and my brothers once spent a summer (and all our money) constructing an almost perfect life size replica of my youngest brother (he was little at the time thankfully).

In a fit of rage, it was pushed down the stairs and it was not glued. It smashed into six pieces: head, arms, legs and torso. In the stupid way young teenagers do, I told my brother this is what would happen to him if he fell down the stairs, and it took him about a month before he would navigate the stairs without someone carrying him down.

Horrifying AND hilarious. I'm not sure if I want to take away or give a tiny can.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: theinevitable on July 09, 2007, 11:39:11 pm
I have a little White-Stripes lego man that I made in 9th grade. He is cool, and has fallen several times... I would say that his shape has probably changed some over the years.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Nabubrush on July 09, 2007, 11:42:15 pm
I have a little White-Stripes lego man that I made in 9th grade. He is cool, and has fallen several times... I would say that his shape has probably changed some over the years.

I used to have a big Lego train set from the early 70s that my folks bought me when we were living in Japan. That would be pretty cool to have now.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Golfhaus on July 09, 2007, 11:56:21 pm
I have a cardboard box full of Legos, the product of countless accumulated basic sets. My wife tried to take it to school one day for her students to play with... I refused.

You can custom order specific Legos now. If that had been available when I was younger, I could've made something of my life.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: jaydub on July 10, 2007, 01:34:33 am
Cardboard boxes of Legos are associated with the strong odour of cat pee in my world.  I can't fathom why the feline mind would find that environment relaxing, but there you go.

I also used to build environments for my mice out of Lego.  On further reflection, that might explain the cats' interest in them.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: linnea on July 10, 2007, 02:13:30 am
Ahhh, Legos. Judy, that story is hilarious. It's sad what kids believe, and even sadder what other kids will tell them.

I don't have any rodent/Legos stories. However, I just realized that Lennybruce knows what "you're gonna get CUDDLED!" means, because he runs away whenever I angle in to scoop him up for cuddles. I can't pick up Milan because he has a bad back, so Lenny has to  pay most of the kittyrent.

Sorry, cat tangent. I do that a lot. Anyway, LEGOS!
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: Lister on July 11, 2007, 05:04:05 am
Cardboard boxes of Legos are associated with the strong odour of cat pee in my world.  I can't fathom why the feline mind would find that environment relaxing, but there you go.

That happened to me as well.  I don't know why, but at least three of our four cats peed in my legos at some point during my childhood.  The ones we had later never did.

I still have those Legos.  AND if I want to I can go buy legos and pay for them by the pound at Legoland.  Unfortunately I live in an apartment and I no longer have a spare dining room table to build on.  It's a shame -- I have epic plans.  Someday I will dig up the pictures of my last installation that got dismantled in college.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: theinevitable on July 11, 2007, 03:35:06 pm
Quote
Oh!  Nibbled lego!  Oh! Poopy lego!

every time I read this, it makes me happy in some weird way.
Title: Re: Lego Desk
Post by: side_show on July 11, 2007, 03:37:01 pm
every time I read this, it makes me happy in some weird way.

Thank you.  I was thinking of Phillipe when I wrote that.