The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Gimpson on July 17, 2007, 04:00:06 pm
-
Oh, who am I kidding, he's always been my hero. But now that he beat the crap out of Andy Dick (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07172007/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm) I feel like I need to find him and shake his hand/buy him a beer.
-
Wow. That almost makes up for the awful Subway commercials.
-
Damn. I had no idea Dick was so aptly named. I found his character on News Radio amusing.
-
I found his character on News Radio amusing.
Yeah, I cut him a lot of slack for a long time because he was associated with The Second Best Show Ever On Television, but the more I hear about him as a person, the more I just want him to go ahead and overdose already.
-
Yeah, I cut him a lot of slack for a long time because he was associated with The Second Best Show Ever On Television, but the more I hear about him as a person, the more I just want him to go ahead and overdose already.
Hearing him on the commentaries just makes me like the character less, unfortunately. For anybody out there wondering, the NewsRadio commentaries are actually pretty bad and not really worth the time.
-
Wow, I've always hated Jon Lovitz (in that way that you hate people you don't know who do things better than you but not as well as you've come to expect). It's good to know he can do more than one thing.
-
I bet Lovitz only pretended to attack him.
ACTING!
-
Dude's The Critic and... that's all I need to know.
Jon Lovitz rocks for being The Critic. He would basically have to try and exterminate an ethnic group for me to dislike the guy who gave us The Critic. Maybe the most underrated half-hour comedy of all time.
This said, a buddy of mine worked on "Less Than Perfect" and said that Andy Dick was one of the few actors on that set who WASN'T a colossal douchebag, who was spacey and flakey but basically a nice guy who didn't mistreat the assistants and stuff.
That other than the fact that, yes, he's a drug addict with a harem of barely-legal boys, he's a solid guy as actors go and... all the really outlandish stuff is the dude pretending to get in the papers.
And like at least the boys actually ARE legal, y'know?
-
I bet Lovitz only pretended to attack him.
ACTING!
He did it to impress his wife, Morgan Fairchild.
-
I think it's kinda shitty to blame Dick for Hartman's death. Is it his job to keep Hartman's wife sober? If she hadn't gotten the coke from Dick she would have gotten it from somewhere else. Also, is it reasonable to assume that if someone does coke they are going to go on a murder spree?
-
You joke too close to the bone and maybe you're going to see some blood. I've hit people 'till they pissed themselves for less.
I'm done posting around here. Jesus, he might come to my house!
-
I can only imagine he kicked Andy Dick's ass while shouting "Buy my book! Buy my book!"
Either way, I'm glad someone did it. I've always despised Andy Dick.
-
I've always been pro-Lovitz. This just confirms that the decision was the correct one.
-
I think it's kinda shitty to blame Dick for Hartman's death. Is it his job to keep Hartman's wife sober? If she hadn't gotten the coke from Dick she would have gotten it from somewhere else. Also, is it reasonable to assume that if someone does coke they are going to go on a murder spree?
But she didn't and there is no way to prove she would have. This post bugs me (and you know, Paul, it's not personal) because it disallows that there is any personal responsibility for an illegal and immoral act. Legality aside, if you care about a person in recovery you just don't do that sort of thing. Doing it is the selgiraffe act of a self-loathing addict who doesn't want to descend into his spiral alone. That is just plain shitty and completely disregarding of a fellow human being and a family. But some people are just that callow and empty. Boo to them.
-
But she did. I'm pretty certain that's the entire basis for the conflict between the two celebrities.
-
My point was that she didn't get it from 'elsewhere' and there's no way to demonstrate that she could have, placing the responsibility which you seem to desperately want to deflect away squarely on Andy Dick. It's a crap dude move no matter what to offer a recovering addict drugs, and the only reasons that exist for that are selgiraffe ones like those I already mentioned. It's just not done.
-
I nominate AlohaDawg to "finish the job", so to speak.
-
Andy Dick is more or less a bargain-basement, shitty version of Andy Kaufman. Fuck that guy.
-
Wasn't Dick partying around with some other actor with substance issues shortly before he hung his ass in a Vegas hotel room? I didn't know about the Hartman wife thing but given the track history of dude I might be a little PO'd at a hex comment too.
As it is, I got no problem with Lovitz popping Dick around. Sometime you play grab-ass you eat shit.
David Strickland suffered from bipolar disorder and had a history of drug and alcohol abuse. He was arrested in October 1998 for the possession of cocaine, pleaded no contest in December and was sentenced to 36 months probation and ordered into rehabilitation. He was due in court on the day of his death for a progress report.
News reports of events leading up to his death, at the age of 29, suggest that he had chosen to stop taking the lithium he was prescribed to control his bipolar disorder. He spent the last three days of his life on an alcohol and drug binge with a friend, actor Andy Dick.
As a minor defense for Mr Dick, he's probably pretty sensitive about people dying because of him and drugs. It's hard to believe he thought he was doing people a favor in either case, though.
-
God I hate being put in the position of defending Andy fuck*ng Dick. All we know about this situation is what has been reported by Jon Lovitz. It's being portrayed like Andy Dick enticed her to do something that she didn't really want to do. As if he purposely tried to fuck up her life. For all we know Andy and the rest of the cokeheads were doing lines or whatever in the bathroom as they typically do when along comes Brynn Hartman. Hey, I want to do a line? Sure. Who is gonna say no in that situation?. We don't know anything about the relationship between the two. Maybe Dick wasn't even aware of her problem. And even if he did, he's not the boss of her. What's he gonna say? I'm sorry Brynn, we are doing coke here, but Jon Lovitz said you can't have any. And even if he had known about her problems not he or Jon Lovitz or anyone else one could have foreseen what would transpire 5 months later.
I'm sorry, Andy Dick may be a subhuman, I don't know much about him, but given what we know it's retarded to blame him for Phil Hartman's death.
-
The main problem with Andy Dick is that he's just not that funny.
I mean, kill people if you want, but you need to bring the funny.
-
The main problem with Andy Dick is I am not sure I even know who he is.
-
The main problem with Andy Dick is I am not sure I even know who he is.
The only thing he ever did worth knowing about was playing the spaz on NewsRadio.
Well, and I guess parts of The Ben Stiller Show were OK.
-
Yeah, you can't really blame anyone but the users for what they put in their body. I mean, does anyone think Dick put the stuff directly under her nose then punched her in the gut to force her to inhale? No. He might have inticed her, but a person with a substance abuse problem who puts themselves at a party with a bunch of people who are known to use the substances the person is trying to avoid has much more ownership in the problem. I mean, I've had friends in recovery who've been in a fragile state where they can't handle even being near substances, but then it becomes their responsibility to investigate situations before they get into them to ensure they're not endangering their sobriety. You can blame it on the dealer, you can blame it on Andy Dick, you can blame it on the rain, but in truth Hartman's wife was an adult, who made the decision to hoover that shit up.
From personally observing Andy Dick's "work," all I can say is that he's a negative force in the universe, and that I enjoy the idea of Jon Lovitz beating up anyone - but especially Dick. Lovitz really should have worked in some comedy/endorsement by shoving an assorted sub with extra secret sauce into Dick's mouth at the end though. That would have been quality.
-
I remember Andy Dick for one thing. I read an interview where he stated that he originally pondered changing his name for showbiz. Then he decided that changing it would be a slap in the face to all the Dicks nationwide.
I was reminded of it from a guy from college. He came up to visit me in Alaska. We were both giddy and we were secretly thinking that we were going to marry, since we were old flames from college and all that. I think I put the nails in the coffin of the relationship when I asked him one day if he'd ever thought about changing his name, since he had a similarly embarrassing surname. I've never seen a dude go from zero to PISSED OFF so shortly. Yeah. Shouldn't have gone there.
-
Oh, you people. You have me reading news again. Entertainment news, at that.
I'd feel better about this whole thing if it were David Spade. Not that I like Andy Dick or anything, but I really despise David Spade and if he had done something this heinous more people would hate him.
My goal in life is to make people agree with me.
-
Yeah, but watching David Spade get beat up would be satisfying and funny. Watching Andy Dick get beat up would just be satisfying.
-
Oh, you people. You have me reading news again. Entertainment news, at that.
[/i]
HA! It's all just been a conspiracy to get you to post again!
Our sinister plan has borne fruit! FRUIT I TELL YOU! FRUIT!
-
If we can get her to lock a thread, our work will truly be done.
-
Oh! The agony! Why do you taunt me, foul temptor?
If this thread weren't so interesting I'd do it just for comedic timing.
But I suspect that's what "the man" wants me to do. Best to wait 'til they least expect it...
-
Curses. Foiled again.
-
HA! It's all just been a conspiracy to get you to post again!
Our sinister plan has borne fruit! FRUIT I TELL YOU! FRUIT!
That's cool - I like fruit!
-
Andy Dick, funny or loser (http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/750/andy-dick)
-
Just got to this thread.
I was disappointed that the opening post link wasn't to the YouTube video of Lovitz beating down Dick.
It didn't surprise me at all to hear that Lovitz pounds Dick.
-
I was disappointed that the opening post link wasn't to the YouTube video of Lovitz beating down Dick.
Does such a video exist?
-
While we wait for the videotape, we can all enjoy this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f44pclHg1-A) getting a well-deserved ass-whipping.