The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 04:06:36 pm

Title: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 04:06:36 pm
OK, this is just wrong. Why just the print edition? Also, what if it's only the California print edition? The print edition of The Onion that they've started to distribute in the DC area has a supplement for local arts and entertainment.  So I am suspecting that maybe the interview is in some equivalent section for California. 

If I go out to get it, in the 95 degree heat and 500 percent humidity and with the remnants of a migraine and when I otherwise have no reason to have to leave the house today, and the interview is not in it, I'm going to - I'm going to cry, is what.



Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2007, 04:12:05 pm
I work in the sticks (Reston) and there aren't any newspaper boxes out here so I'll have to wait until I get home to pick up a copy.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: jaydub on August 02, 2007, 04:19:47 pm
Isn't Reston where the research lab with Ebola-infected monkeys was/is?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 04:24:42 pm
I work in the sticks (Reston) and there aren't any newspaper boxes out here so I'll have to wait until I get home to pick up a copy.

I am going to try to stay in the house till you report back. I mean, they are even telling us not to breathe out there today. Why did anyone ever build a city here?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2007, 04:52:30 pm
Isn't Reston where the research lab with Ebola-infected monkeys was/is?

Yup. I believe The Hot Zone was based on that. It was one of America's first Greenbelt communities (the first being, well, Greenbelt). It's also home of the U.S. Geological Survey and seas of asphalt and big box stores. In fact an influx of big box stores and chain restaurants is known as Restonfication.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Nabubrush on August 02, 2007, 05:25:37 pm
Why did anyone ever build a city here?

Long story, but you probably already know it.

If someone gets to a box with these, are they going to get like 50 to send to all of us?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: theinevitable on August 02, 2007, 05:30:38 pm
there is only one place in my state where they have The Onion. It is not near my town.

so sad.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 06:05:05 pm

If someone gets to a box with these, are they going to get like 50 to send to all of us?

Easier to scan it in and post it. But are there copyright issues? I mean, they are giving it away free anyway, right?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2007, 07:35:34 pm
There's a print edition?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: pmcd9 on August 02, 2007, 07:51:05 pm
There's a print edition?

I saw one once in a airport I think.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: dejavroom on August 02, 2007, 07:52:57 pm
Me wants too =/. Scan already, anyone?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 08:39:20 pm
Dang it Cort what time do you get home? I am really getting tempted to go out. It would be so embarrassing to die of heatstroke because of a comic strip.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2007, 08:52:42 pm
I can't work my fricking scanner apparently so these are huge.

http://www.cortjstr.com/images/onion00.png
http://www.cortjstr.com/images/onion01.png
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 02, 2007, 08:55:55 pm
Hurrah, there's a greatly-expanded version of the interview online next week.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 09:10:53 pm
Thanks!
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Nabubrush on August 02, 2007, 09:29:13 pm
I'm 13, but I live in Canton, goddamn it.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2007, 09:39:23 pm
When I was doing archival research last week, I ran across some transcripts of radio "interviews" given by a certain lady bureaucrat in the DOL, and as it turns out, the Women's Bureau just handed the interviewers a list of questions and the interviewee, the charming and brilliant Frieda Miller (with whom I am sure you are all familiar), would simply read her prepared responses off the script.  This included such nuggets as, "Oh, that's an excellent question," and, in response to a glowing introduction, "that was so flattering, I do hope I can live up to it."  She gave the same interview to half a dozen different interviewers over the course of a month, wrote a new one, and started again. 

Now, I'm not saying Onstad does that -- who would say such a terrible thing? -- but I'm just throwing this story out there, because, you know, interviews, and stuff. 
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Nabubrush on August 02, 2007, 09:40:39 pm
Also, thanks for the scans, Cort.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2007, 11:22:09 pm
Cort, I would say thank you, but this really is the level of service we've come to expect and, therefore, take for granted from a man who has his own verb. 

For reals. 
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: side_show on August 03, 2007, 01:48:02 am
It's strange to see him standing with his creations.  There's something off about it.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: HudsonVC on August 03, 2007, 03:32:12 am
Here's a 2-page PDF of the interview assembled from CourtJstr's .png files.

OnionOnstadPrint.pdf (http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/OnionOnstadPrint.pdf)

It's a little on the huge side. Sorry. Nevertheless.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2007, 04:03:16 am
Awright, who's going to get us a powerpoint up in this piece?

Thanks Hudson.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: HudsonVC on August 03, 2007, 05:11:39 am
Awright, who's going to get us a powerpoint up in this piece?

I apparently have way too much time on my hands.

OnionOnstadPrint.ppt (http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/OnionOnstadPrint.ppt)

Anyone need it as a Targa file or MacWrite document?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 03, 2007, 05:58:57 am
I apparently have way too much time on my hands.

OnionOnstadPrint.ppt (http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/OnionOnstadPrint.ppt)

Anyone need it as a Targa file or MacWrite document?

How do I know that clicking on that won't give my computer Comic Sans.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2007, 07:57:49 pm
How do I know that clicking on that won't give my computer Comic Sans.

Hell of cans for you.  Comic Sans is an STD now.  Ha ha ha ha.

Cans for Hudson too.  Bravo.

Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: jough on August 03, 2007, 09:04:28 pm
The Onion not only has a print edition, but it's distributed in newspaper boxes here in Chicago (where they're based) next to the <ahem> legitimate newspapers.

Also, hold your hosss, people.  There will be an expanded web interview posted online next week for their comics feature.

Anyway, yeah, I love that I can pick up a copy of The Onion on the way out of the local supermarket.  I read it online for years - it's kinda surreal to see people reading it on the train.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: wombat on August 03, 2007, 09:14:52 pm
The first print edition that came out in this area had a front page story about a recall of defective pug dogs:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dog_breeders_issue_massive_recall (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dog_breeders_issue_massive_recall)

I was walking the pugs a couple days later and a woman stopped to pet them and asked me, all excited, if I'd seen that article. I had to break it to her that everything in The Onion is a joke.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: linnea on August 03, 2007, 09:30:22 pm
The first print edition that came out in this area had a front page story about a recall of defective pug dogs:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dog_breeders_issue_massive_recall (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dog_breeders_issue_massive_recall)

I was walking the pugs a couple days later and a woman stopped to pet them and asked me, all excited, if I'd seen that article. I had to break it to her that everything in The Onion is a joke.

HEE!!! Wasn't there a Taiwanese or Chinese newspaper agency that mistook the "Senators strike for a new Congress building" seriously and didn't do any fact-checking before they ran it as an actual news story? Heh. I love the Onion.

Goddamn, it hurts to type today. My right wrist feels like it's channeling an arthritic old lady. Even Icy-Hot doesn't help. It's the damned 1977 280Z that I've been driving. The gearbox is hell of jilapidated and my wrist is killing me. I need to figure something out fast so my wrist doesn't fall off.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 06, 2007, 02:47:01 pm
The full interview is up now: http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/chris_onstad
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 06, 2007, 03:52:27 pm
Possibly dumb question: Is this the first time we have seen the dude in photograph?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: HudsonVC on August 06, 2007, 04:33:25 pm
Am I the only person who thinks that Onstad bears a remarkable, nay uncanny resemblance to Pat Reynolds in that picture?

(http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/Onstad.jpg) (http://homepage.mac.com/merussell/Pat.jpg)

Also:

Quote
I've got all this content I'm talking about with kind of a major publisher. You know the "Great Outdoor Fight" story arc? I'm putting together… not quite a graphic novel, but I'm laying it all out as a linear story and adding new content and a ton of writing and background on what The Great Outdoor Fight is, and I'm hoping to publish that as some sort of perfect-bound, color-cover, proper edition. I'm just finishing the writing up for that. I think that will go over really well.

I wonder if he'll just flat-out ignore the wiki (http://greatoutdoorfight.com/index.php/Main_Page). I guess he'd have to, wouldn't he?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 06, 2007, 04:39:29 pm
Am I the only person who thinks that Onstad bears a remarkable, nay uncanny resemblance to Pat Reynolds in that picture?

Because they both wear glasses?
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: HudsonVC on August 06, 2007, 05:00:50 pm
Because they both wear glasses?

Mostly, but not just. Onstad has a Pat-like grimace.

Having now spent two message-board posts reflecting on this, I believe it is time for me to leave the Internet.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2007, 06:02:40 pm
well, i guess this answers all of my questions about whether onstadt is fat. I mean, I was really worried.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 06, 2007, 06:48:24 pm
well, i guess this answers all of my questions about whether onstadt is fat. I mean, I was really worried.

I was briefly worried as well after that gargantuan slob made that internet radio achewood "commentary" and i thought maybe that was a trend amongst internet cartoonists. But now we know his blog of random athleticism  is not just to throw us off.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2007, 08:53:21 pm
A-CAP, Dan is referencing some unsavory yet memorable behavior that occurred here before you arrived.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: linnea on August 06, 2007, 08:59:02 pm
I like how 'Stad posts the Onion link like it's content and takes the day off. Prolly needs it after a celebratory weekend of booze and punching out the wife while terrorizing the dog.

In this scene a toddler quietly sits in its own stain on the sofa, petrified.

Ash, that's vivid.

Man, you know someone out there has written some horrible fanfic about Onstad.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 06, 2007, 10:44:20 pm
Oh man, yeah.

It probably gives new meaning to the term "self-insert".
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2007, 11:23:11 pm
It probably gives new meaning to the term "self-insert".

Ferret fan fic?

Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 10, 2007, 05:39:03 am
I was browsing old achewoods via the waybackmachine and came across this:

Quote from: Chris Onstad
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
N E W S
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

April 2, 2002
Congratulations, Achewood, on reaching something like 130 strips. It is your 130-strip anniversary.

April 1, 2002
Congratulations to the Achewood submissions packet on being formally rejected by Fantagraphics Books.

January 11, 2002
Achewood will appear in the February issue (#241) of The Comics Journal. TCJ is the journalistic arm of Fantagraphics Books, publishers of The Acme Novelty Library, Frank, Maakies and the works of Robert Crumb and Dan Clowes.

Achewood will appear in the form of a paid advertisement for Achewood. It cost $100.


The dude has come far. Way far.

Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: linnea on August 10, 2007, 02:25:32 pm
Man. Yeah, Fantagraphics pretty much shot themselves in the foot with that one.
Title: Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
Post by: dejavroom on August 10, 2007, 02:45:46 pm
Man. Yeah, Fantagraphics pretty much shot themselves in the foot with that one.

As a writer who's perennially sending originals that are refused (or even worse, merely ignored), I eke out a meager solace in such occurrences of editorial foot-shooting. Flaunt it, 'stad, rub it in their noses.