Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion  (Read 5254 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

HudsonVC

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 04:33:25 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks that Onstad bears a remarkable, nay uncanny resemblance to Pat Reynolds in that picture?



Also:

Quote
I've got all this content I'm talking about with kind of a major publisher. You know the "Great Outdoor Fight" story arc? I'm putting together… not quite a graphic novel, but I'm laying it all out as a linear story and adding new content and a ton of writing and background on what The Great Outdoor Fight is, and I'm hoping to publish that as some sort of perfect-bound, color-cover, proper edition. I'm just finishing the writing up for that. I think that will go over really well.

I wonder if he'll just flat-out ignore the wiki. I guess he'd have to, wouldn't he?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 04:39:29 pm »

Am I the only person who thinks that Onstad bears a remarkable, nay uncanny resemblance to Pat Reynolds in that picture?

Because they both wear glasses?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

HudsonVC

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 05:00:50 pm »

Because they both wear glasses?

Mostly, but not just. Onstad has a Pat-like grimace.

Having now spent two message-board posts reflecting on this, I believe it is time for me to leave the Internet.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 06:02:40 pm »

well, i guess this answers all of my questions about whether onstadt is fat. I mean, I was really worried.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 06:48:24 pm »

well, i guess this answers all of my questions about whether onstadt is fat. I mean, I was really worried.

I was briefly worried as well after that gargantuan slob made that internet radio achewood "commentary" and i thought maybe that was a trend amongst internet cartoonists. But now we know his blog of random athleticism  is not just to throw us off.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 08:53:21 pm »

A-CAP, Dan is referencing some unsavory yet memorable behavior that occurred here before you arrived.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 08:59:02 pm »

I like how 'Stad posts the Onion link like it's content and takes the day off. Prolly needs it after a celebratory weekend of booze and punching out the wife while terrorizing the dog.

In this scene a toddler quietly sits in its own stain on the sofa, petrified.

Ash, that's vivid.

Man, you know someone out there has written some horrible fanfic about Onstad.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »

Oh man, yeah.

It probably gives new meaning to the term "self-insert".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 11:23:11 pm »

It probably gives new meaning to the term "self-insert".

Ferret fan fic?

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2007, 05:39:03 am »

I was browsing old achewoods via the waybackmachine and came across this:

Quote from: Chris Onstad
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
N E W S
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

April 2, 2002
Congratulations, Achewood, on reaching something like 130 strips. It is your 130-strip anniversary.

April 1, 2002
Congratulations to the Achewood submissions packet on being formally rejected by Fantagraphics Books.

January 11, 2002
Achewood will appear in the February issue (#241) of The Comics Journal. TCJ is the journalistic arm of Fantagraphics Books, publishers of The Acme Novelty Library, Frank, Maakies and the works of Robert Crumb and Dan Clowes.

Achewood will appear in the form of a paid advertisement for Achewood. It cost $100.


The dude has come far. Way far.

Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 02:25:32 pm »

Man. Yeah, Fantagraphics pretty much shot themselves in the foot with that one.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Achewood interview in Wednesday's print edition of The Onion
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 02:45:46 pm »

Man. Yeah, Fantagraphics pretty much shot themselves in the foot with that one.

As a writer who's perennially sending originals that are refused (or even worse, merely ignored), I eke out a meager solace in such occurrences of editorial foot-shooting. Flaunt it, 'stad, rub it in their noses.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up