The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on August 25, 2007, 06:48:00 pm

Title: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 25, 2007, 06:48:00 pm
The reason I asked about trans stuff in The Great Indoor Fight thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3886.0.html)

I don't understand transitioning from one gender to another. I think it's interesting, and I really enjoy reading trans narratives and trans journals (especially LiveJournals). Even though I don't understand it, I have no problem with people transitioning and going by other pronouns or whatever, and I try to be respectful of their wishes.

Last summer, a young woman who was getting ready to go to my school began iming me. Being a generally friendly person, I was happy to get to know her, and we had similar stated interests - creative writing and feminism. She was - from the start - quite desperately insecure and very vocal about that insecurity, along with her dislike of herself. I recognized also that she was intelligent and witty. She told me that she had recently realized that she was a lesbian, and that she came from a very conservative Christian family. She seemed lost, without any anchor of identity. I was all of these things before I came to Hollins, and so I hoped that we could begin a friendship and I could watch her grow into a confident, awesome young woman, as I had.

She didn't. In the span of time that I've known her, she has claimed pain resulting from many different (and in my view highly glamorized) experiences. These include, but are not limited to: childhood rape/sexual abuse (recovered memory), possible incest (she claimed to beat off the advances of her uncle many times), physical and emotional abuse from her father, anorexia/bulimia, religious persecution, stalking, sexual confusion, depression, self-abuse, suicidal tendencies, et cetera. At first I reacted to these with sympathy and an open ear. After I noticed the high incidence of awful things happening to her routinely and into the present day, I began to react with a little less sympathy and tried to get her to shore up her defenses emotionally - tried to get her to be more emotionally self-reliant by talking about solutions with her rather than nodding while she moaned about the pain, the pain. 

I also thought she was exaggerating a lot of stuff, or taking it too seriously. For example: a boy who had a crush on her in middle school found her on myspace, and then stopped talking to her when he realized that she was a lesbian and not his type of person. She found his blog, in which he lamented how much she had changed and mentioned her by her first name. This, to her, was stalking that could lead to her being kicked out of the house or sent to religious homo-reform camp (because she claimed her parents were just that bad). I thought that was ridiculous, and told her so (i can be a callous person, and I frequently am to her when she irritates me by reminding me too much of myself when I was weak). But I didn't question or suspect the more serious allegations that she made, because I tend to believe that people don't just make that up.

However, when she came forward with her story of sexual abuse, it started to seem giraffey. Details - key details - of her story changed as I heard her re-tell the story, and she told everyone about it pretty much as soon as she remembered it - often in very public spaces. She also claimed that because of this, she couldn't stand to be touched - but when she told me, she immediately used it as a reason to come over and hang out with me in person (which we rarely did) and get a hug from me (I'm not a huge hugger, or even a very physical person). Also, I just got a huge bullshit vibe from it.

This made me look at all of the things that made me pity her or give her sympathy, and every tragedy or struggle started to look like a ploy for attention. We stopped getting along because I stopped giving her this sympathy, and started being harder on her and her endless struggles, pushing her to find solutions instead of whining. This only seemed to encourage her to tell me more of her personal trials, saying that I pushed her to be a better person.  This also encouraged her to start imitating my interests - I did comics, so did she. I said I liked sports, so did she. Et cetera.

Anyway, to truncate this story a little bit, she decided that she was trans about six months ago. It came up pretty suddenly, right after he started dating a transman (friend and coworker of mine). He mentioned it a couple times in the month preceding, that he was sometimes confused about his gender, and then BAM - male pronouns, male name, binder, etc.

I'm all for gender fluidity, but this, again, stinks of bullshit. We had a falling out after I asked him some questions (along the lines of are you sure, don't be too hasty, changing your body is serious) and I guess probably wasn't the most supportive person in the world. He also needed to be rid of me, because I could be mean to him. I apologized for being out of line, because I'm pretty sure I wounded him badly, so we're on okay terms now, but I don't want to be friends. I think he's faddish and does everything for attention.

Anyway, I kinda don't think that the trans thing is going to stick, but I'm going to try and be respectful of his preferences (he currently says he's a male-identified genderqueer/fuck trannyboy), because, a, what do I know? and b, gender is fluid. My problem is that he's positioning himself as the poster boy for the trans community at my campus, and if I'm right about him, I think that might be doing a disservice to the trans community at Hollins and discourse surrounding it. Which isn't a huge deal, but it still pisses me off a little.

I asked because I wondered if anyone here knew an individual who decided that they were trans as a fad and went back to their original gender after a period of being very loudly trans.

Also: Am I a bad person for doubting someone who says they have been through very hard things? Should I support people I don't believe, if only because they might not be lying, and might actually be going through this?
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: linnea on August 25, 2007, 07:50:55 pm
Jesus Christ, rumjay. Why would you hang around someone for THAT LONG who was that much of an emotional trainwreck? I got tired just reading that description. 
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2007, 08:02:23 pm
Jesus Christ, rumjay. Why would you hang around someone for THAT LONG who was that much of an emotional trainwreck? I got tired just reading that description. 

Quoted for having this this post earlier and being unable to think of how to phrase exactly this opinion.

Basically, why are you still this person's friend? The relationship seems a bit one sided, to say the least.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 08:36:35 pm
That person has a lot of other stuff going on that is unrelated to the trans thing, I think. I think you have fgiured this deal out, but are being extra considerate, and not dropping this person like a piping-hot brick. For me, I would feel ok being this person's friend and trying to be supportive if he was getting professional help for his not-inconsiderable problems, as long as he wasn't psychically draining me.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2007, 08:38:48 pm
this person is, in my opinion, an attention whore. I guess she didnt get enough attention from her family or whatever, but this is ridiculous. I know people like this. We all do. you are not a bad person, rumjay, and i dont think this character is "bad" either. HeShe needs some therapy, the kind of attention that might actually end with positive results.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 26, 2007, 04:54:53 am
I'm actually really fascinated with all human identity structures... gender/sexual just being one of them... and to be honest, this person doesn't sound like a person actually dealing with gender dismorphism.

From what I've gleaned, genuine and healthily-transitioning trans people aren't running around looking to draw MORE attention to their struggles with their identity... they just wanna be the other gender and not feel so out-of-place.

They want LESS attention insofar as they want to be a "normal" member of what they consider to be the opposite side of a somewhat artificially constructed gender binary.

They desperately want to conform to a set of definitions... to the point where they'll go through years of dangerous surgeries and hormone therapies and legal wranglings and so on to be ABLE to conform to that set of standards... it's just a different set of standards than what their body can naturally fit.

They just wanna blend into the world as an unambiguous and unmistakeable member of the other gender.

This person doesn't sound at all like a man in a woman's body transitioning to some semblance of male-identity...

This sounds like someone with, like, a borderline disorder or a dissociative disorder who is probably also tangentally a gay lady but is so desperately messed up that she has taken something she can't deal with about her sexuality that she's twisted it into a psychodrama about... trying to conflate her desire for women with her past of abuse and religious Christian homophobia to the point where...

She's decided that it can only make sense that she's into ladies if she's actually a dude.

Which is way way way different than being transgendered.

Iran's take on gender identity deals with homosexuality in a similar way. Hell, the Buffalo Bill character in "Silence of the Lambs" dealt with it in a similar way.

You are not a bad person at all, Rumjay.

The person in question is just grasping for straws, anywhere, everywhere, because she is hurting and confused and probably possessed of at-least a half-measure of madness.

Unless you're full on into spending the next ten years of your life trying to change this person, you have total right to divest yourself of that drama tornado. She could well be a punk rock chick in two years and a born-again Christian in five.

People in that much pain basically cannot be helped by the gentle ministrations of concerned friends... they will twist the help of friends into ways to get attention or into strange strains of codependence. Whatever good hearted help you try to lend to the situation will only get corrupted into part of the problem by their madness.

Only hardcore therapy or a series of eye-opening shattering life experiences can mend those kindsa wounds.

You are an awesome lady for wanting to help but the person in question is a Pringle wedged in the bottom of the can.

Sometimes you gotta let those hard to reach chips go, so to speak.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: smick on August 26, 2007, 05:07:06 am
You are an awesome lady for wanting to help but the person in question is a Pringle wedged in the bottom of the can.

Sometimes you gotta let those hard to reach chips go, so to speak.

Sometimes you can get to them by banging the can really hard on the counter, and then eating the pieces that fall from the can.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2007, 05:24:39 am
Sometimes you can get to them by banging the can really hard on the counter, and then eating the pieces that fall from the can.

I tried to give you another can for that phrase, but I just can'd you for the Shandy comment in A-CAP's beer thread and the board won't let me repeat a Karma action w/o waiting one hour. Rest assured, another tiny can is in the works.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 26, 2007, 09:20:03 pm
Ah, thanks guys. He's not a bad person, and I've probably made myself sound a lot better and him a lot worse than in reality. But I think I will stop talking to him - I don't need a crazy friend in addition to all my other shit. I'd rather spend my time with imaginary people on the internet.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: wombat on August 26, 2007, 09:26:36 pm
I'd rather spend my time with imaginary people on the internet.

Yes!  We are so low maintenance.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2007, 09:33:37 pm
Ah, thanks guys. He's not a bad person, and I've probably made myself sound a lot better and him a lot worse than in reality. But I think I will stop talking to him - I don't need a crazy friend in addition to all my other shit. I'd rather spend my time with imaginary people on the internet.

He sounds like a crap dude who has made no effort to better himself. The last thing you need is that kind of stress. You've done your best to help him, he won't accept help, so I would just dump him and move on.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2007, 10:19:06 pm
Ah, thanks guys. He's not a bad person, and I've probably made myself sound a lot better and him a lot worse than in reality. But I think I will stop talking to him - I don't need a crazy friend in addition to all my other shit. I'd rather spend my time with imaginary people on the internet.

I'm a raving loony; you might want to limit your exposure to me as well.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 26, 2007, 11:15:49 pm
I'm a raving loony; you might want to limit your exposure to me as well.

Yes, but you're imaginary. So you're just a figment of my imagination that's gone a little wacky. I can tolerate that.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2007, 11:30:57 pm
Yes, but you're imaginary. So you're just a figment of my imagination that's gone a little wacky. I can tolerate that.

It'd be odd if I wasn't a madman, at that.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 02:03:37 am
Hmm.. I don't know.  I have a friend a lot like the one you're describing with a list of "all the way's I've been done wrong" about a mile long, and interestingly enough when she was over for dinner last she said something like "I'm basically trans anyway" and I said "huh, yeah right."  Then she was like "What? I am!"  And I just said, "Oh really, because I don't see you having your pu$$y turned inside out into a functionless c*ck.  Am I right?"  And she was like "Yeah, yeah, that's true."  When it comes to my friend, she's basically a lovely person who has schizophrenia, and in my SO and I she's found two people who will care for her no matter what and she sort of tests the boundaries by spouting a lot of her paranoia and looking for our sympathy.  So when she tells us she's been intentionally poisoned by three different restaraunts, we say "yeah sure, whatever you say." And when she came over to visit after her murdered sister's funeral we were as kind as we could be.  A real friend, no matter what their mental state, can handle you calling them on their bullshit, and will call you on yours too - and either sort of exchange should be done with constant good humour.  It's actually an important part of friendship. 

If you call bullshit on your buddy in a fun humours way and s/he turns him/herself into an instant victim, every time you should tell him/her to talk a better look at what being a feminist means.  Does s/he long to be male because s/he's always had the wrong body parts, or is it about claiming power s/he feels s/he doesn't have as her current gender?  It sounds to me like his/her identity is more tied up in the role of "victim" than anything to do with his/her long list of personal hindrances.  No doubt much of the shit that's done down in his/her life is legit, and that most of the early stuff was out of his/her controle.  What's not healthy is to continue to build on and collect a list of victimizations.  It's right of you as a true friend to be concerned about this.  The gender issue is just the surface of something deeper, a pattern that you've recognized and are naturally concerned about.  If s/he wont address your totally rational concerns, she's probably running from something.  There's nothing wrong with being unwilling to feed a friend's cycle of victimhood.  It's self abuse plain and simple, and even if s/he cleverly masks it by taking on victim roles that are too "politically correct" to touch, that doesn't mean she's not addicted to the pity party.

Being in a fairly similar friendship that is much further along all I can say is that it's important to beware of emotional vampirism from a friend like this.  The friend I mention is never interested in my talking about my own personal traumas and likes to minimize them because no one, no one, has suffered as much as she has.  So my SO and I both focus on the happy times with her, and are only willing to talk about her bad stuff in a limited way, give our support/advice/criticism then move on to other things.  If she wants to wallow, we just shut down and wait for her to participate in the friendship again.  We only welcome the give and take now, and with these ground rules established, our friendship is much healthier.  Like me and my SO, I'd say it's best to keep a third party in the friendship.  Someone who's not "on her side" you can check in with and say "is s/he being legit about circumstance A, B, C, etc.?"  It's much easier to see when you're being honest, when you're giving too much, when you're being callous, etc. when there's someone else there with you to serve as a barometer.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 27, 2007, 02:33:08 am
Being in a fairly similar friendship that is much further along all I can say is that it's important to beware of emotional vampirism from a friend like this.  The friend I mention is never interested in my talking about my own personal traumas and likes to minimize them because no one, no one, has suffered as much as she has.  So my SO and I both focus on the happy times with her, and are only willing to talk about her bad stuff in a limited way, give our support/advice/criticism then move on to other things.  If she wants to wallow, we just shut down and wait for her to participate in the friendship again.  We only welcome the give and take now, and with these ground rules established, our friendship is much healthier.  Like me and my SO, I'd say it's best to keep a third party in the friendship.  Someone who's not "on her side" you can check in with and say "is s/he being legit about circumstance A, B, C, etc.?"  It's much easier to see when you're being honest, when you're giving too much, when you're being callous, etc. when there's someone else there with you to serve as a barometer.

That's really good advice for being friends with females of my age in general (I find). As long as you are able to cut them off when they begin to wallow or consciously attract sympathy, and have someone with whom you can discuss the friend (in a loving if bitchy way) then everything will work out.

A real friend, no matter what their mental state, can handle you calling them on their bullshit, and will call you on yours too - and either sort of exchange should be done with constant good humour.  It's actually an important part of friendship. 

QFT.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: jough on August 27, 2007, 11:31:58 am
As long as your friend isn't a "huge uncut asian jerkboy" that posts spam to everyone on the forum, I'm fine with whatever lifestyle choices they choose to make.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 03:45:20 pm
Oh man.  That was some good times.  Remember him?  He was like "Holy shit!  I have a huge cock! Check it out!"
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 27, 2007, 04:04:07 pm
Oh man.  That was some good times.  Remember him?  He was like "Holy shit!  I have a huge cock! Check it out!"

Well sure - who wouldn't?
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: smick on August 27, 2007, 07:07:54 pm
It was pretty astounding.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Lister on August 29, 2007, 05:24:37 am
I think it's awesome that the asian jerkboy isn't the worst newbie ever to come post here.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: linnea on August 29, 2007, 12:15:36 pm
Oh man.  That was some good times.  Remember him?  He was like "Holy shit!  I have a huge cock! Check it out!"

Heh...I should have realized that pressing the "report to moderator" button would send a copy of it to jough and the other mods, who must have been deluged with copies of that wretched thing. Yikes!
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: CortJstr on August 29, 2007, 12:54:33 pm
Heh...I should have realized that pressing the "report to moderator" button would send a copy of it to jough and the other mods, who must have been deluged with copies of that wretched thing. Yikes!

I'm pretty sure that only goes to Jough, because I've never received any reports of anything. Maybe if you'd clicked the button in one my two fora.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: jay-ell on August 29, 2007, 01:21:43 pm
It goes to me, too. 

Given that I wasn't even active here at the time, it was a nice surprise in my inbox. 

I think I only got two or three copies, though.  I didn't open any but the first. 
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 29, 2007, 04:44:46 pm
Update- Nobody I'm friends with here is buying this individual's transition. My good friend who dated a transman for years is pretty offended by how flippantly he is treating trans identities. The individual meanwhile is simultaneously talking constantly about his identity and whining about how he's a token tranny and how "[he's] a boy, no argument." This is all while he's wearing a skirt. Oh, and no one is allowed to question him about his identity either.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 05:16:55 pm
Oh man.

I have this mental picture, now, of a glammed-up Valley girl in a mini-skirt, tubetop, crocs, yappy rat-dog in a Louis Vitton bag and Dr. Pepper lipsmackers on her mouth, poppin' gum, bein' all...

"No, I'm like totally a man and whatever. Totally. I'm like gettin' the surgery in two weeks! Uhm, I was def gonna get it Saturday but there was a sale at the Shoetorium and I was like OHMIGOD I think I can wait a week for my tiny misshapen non-functioning c*ck if it means 20% off pumps, yaknow? Y'know?"

Or is he a crossdressing man stuck in a woman's body? That'd be an interesting claim.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 29, 2007, 05:20:29 pm
Crossdressing man in a women's body is basically right on the money. Calls himself a drag queen. Or an effeminite transmasculine person. A gay man.


He was a high femme lesbian less than a year ago.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 05:27:09 pm
Oh man. AWESOME.

When it gets to the point where he/she starts claiming to be an avatar of Rama or a were-moose, that's where the identity-tornado will REALLY get fun.

But you know that this person IS doomed for a prolonged personality-redefinition as a born-again Christian, right? Probably in his/her later twenties?

This is not a knock on all born-agains, some of them are quite sincere in their faith. But EVEN THOSE born-agains will admit that a good 20% of their brethern are psychotics who've exhausted all the "rebellious" identities and, with those roads all taken, do the hard 180 to extreme-goody-goody.

It'll last a lot longer than all the other phases, probably until their early middleage when they're finally "burnt-out drunk".
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 29, 2007, 05:56:41 pm
My bet is that she begins to identify as a person of color. She hasn't yet (she's Italian in ethnicity) but she's started talking about how her great-grandmother was a light-skinned African-American. She knows this from pictures.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 29, 2007, 05:58:06 pm
My bet is that she begins to identify as a person of color. She hasn't yet (she's Italian in ethnicity) but she's started talking about how her great-grandmother was a light-skinned African-American. She knows this from pictures.

Whoa, white woman to black man - Reverse Michael Jackson.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2007, 06:14:59 pm
Now that I think of it, I believe that a female cousin of mine is living as a lesbian couple with a woman who used to be a man.

I know, that doesn't seem possible, but I swear that someone told me that. I can't imagine I made it up.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 06:46:56 pm
Nah, see, that's the thing, though, A-CAP.

Once she "decides" she's black, all the gender-sexual identity stuff will go out the window for a while, she'll be so immersed in constructing a "black" identity and her first access to creating that new self will be images of heterosexual black women.

Maybe EVENTUALLY she'll start forming some variation on her attempt to make herself happy by finding the right identity pidgeon holes to shove her sense-of-self into... but usually, they gotta go through one phase before they get to the next.

Sounds like some kinda borderline disorder thing.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2007, 07:16:11 pm
It'll last a lot longer than all the other phases, probably until their early middleage when they're finally "burnt-out drunk".

So, I call you a modern Mark Twain, and this is how you repay me.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: jaydub on August 29, 2007, 09:45:33 pm
My bet is that she begins to identify as a person of color. She hasn't yet (she's Italian in ethnicity) but she's started talking about how her great-grandmother was a light-skinned African-American. She knows this from pictures.
Tell her she's a "sedecaroon".
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: smick on August 29, 2007, 10:03:40 pm
Recently my mother uncovered several things about my lineage.   

I'm part Native American.   I have no idea what tribe.   Apparently its enough for me to register on tribal rolls or some such.   When I heard this, I didn't have much reaction.     That's so not any part of my cultural identity, and it would be horrible of me to start aping it.

She also discovered that on the other side of the family, we took part in some nautical portion of the slave trade. 

Even more recently, while attending my grandmother's funeral, I learned that her father fought in both world wars for the Germans.

Surprisingly, I'm not a real 'get back to my roots' kinda fellow.

"Don't mention the war!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MbeT7_ARm8)
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 11:04:03 pm
Quote from: jaydub
Tell her she's a "sedecaroon".

Oh, man... I sure hope that she'd reply "that's my FAVOURITE kind of Girl Scout cookie".
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 11:31:24 pm
all I know is, I'm 1/2 hispanic (my grandmother clarifies that this is Spanish, because we don't have any (insert an offensive south american word for Native Chilean) blood) and half good ol' american irish/scottish/british mix.
this results in my family drinking tea, and the fact that the church we don't attend is a Catholic church.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 29, 2007, 11:53:30 pm
I am both Jewish and Native American but I don't really relate to that because, well, my granddad would never admit to being Jewish and I don't really have a ton of either in my ancestry.  Besides that I am French/British/Irish.


Nathan Hale is my direct decedent, but he couldn't learn me.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 30, 2007, 12:26:05 am
I am both Jewish and Native American but I don't really relate to that because, well, my granddad would never admit to being Jewish and I don't really have a ton of either in my ancestry.  Besides that I am French/British/Irish.


Nathan Hale is my direct decedent.

1. You are a decedent of Nathan Hale, he is not a decedent of you.
2. A native american jew? Did college just throw bags of money at you or what?
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 12:38:24 am
Nathan Hale is a decedent (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/decedent). You aren't.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 30, 2007, 02:48:45 pm
1. You are a decedent of Nathan Hale, he is not a decedent of you.

Perhaps Mr. Hernandez has a time machine, and he went back in time and boned Nathan Hale's mother.  Haven't you seen The Terminator?
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2007, 03:26:58 pm
Perhaps Mr. Hernandez has a time machine, and he went back in time and boned Nathan Hale's mother.  Haven't you seen The Terminator?

Or Futurama?
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 04:39:24 pm
You are Nathan Hale's descendant (http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/descendant). Perhaps also a Descendent (http://wc07.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:jifuxqe5ld6e).
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: linnea on August 31, 2007, 03:23:51 am
Ahhh, decedents. I will never forget my first "dead call" where I had to deal with a decedent.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 01:10:40 pm
Anyone else read Savage Love (http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=303613) this week? 
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 31, 2007, 03:06:15 pm
Anyone else read Savage Love (http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=303613) this week? 

I used to read that all the time.

I want to be clear, btw, I do not think that most trans people are making it up or faking it for attention. Most of the time, if someone has the bravery to make a statement as...controversial as that, I believe them and commend them for being able to come forward and be themselves. I know trans and genderqueer people whose gender identity I have no problem with. I just don't believe that it's a decision that can or should be made in a couple months, as was the case with this individual, and with their pattern of doing or claiming shocking things for attention, it's just not passing my BS detector.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 31, 2007, 03:35:03 pm
Probably, like, 80% of the people I've known/interacted with who've laid claim to gender identity issues either had legitimate identity issues or were gay folk honestly trying to figure out what the hell was the deal with their wantin' to do gay stuff.

And those folks, man, I wish 'em the best. Whatever makes 'em happy, if it isn't hurting anybody else, Fievel says penisltov.

But then there's another 20% of that population who were just deeply twisted people who've re and re and reinvented themselves ten thousand times out of severe psychological problems and were glomming onto the idea of being trans as another path toward escaping themselves.

All I'm saying is... I think your friend is in that other 20%.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 01, 2007, 07:13:40 am
A few years ago Johns Hopkins did a major study of Transexuals who underwent gender reassignment. If I remember right, one of the major conclusions was that although all were diagnosed with gender dysphoria, went through counseling and the long process of living as the other gender prior to undergoing the operation, years after the operation, measures of general life happiness, satisfaction and well-being did not significantly improve.

I guess the question is in a situation like this, where there is not a physically life threatening condition, could be whether it makes more sense to explore therapeutic options to gender dysphoria.  I think that cases of insurance or the State paying for reassignment are very few, so the individual can pay for reassignment - so any issue of impact on others (in terms of tax money or premiums) is minimal. I'm asking a question more than making a statement here.

If the individual is basically equally unhappy before and after the procedures, and the only difference is that now they are able to identify physically and legally as the other gender, is that successful as an intervention? 
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2007, 02:36:26 pm
A few years ago Johns Hopkins did a major study of Transexuals who underwent gender reassignment. If I remember right, one of the major conclusions was that although all were diagnosed with gender dysphoria, went through counseling and the long process of living as the other gender prior to undergoing the operation, years after the operation, measures of general life happiness, satisfaction and well-being did not significantly improve.

I guess the question is in a situation like this, where there is not a physically life threatening condition, could be whether it makes more sense to explore therapeutic options to gender dysphoria.  I think that cases of insurance or the State paying for reassignment are very few, so the individual can pay for reassignment - so any issue of impact on others (in terms of tax money or premiums) is minimal. I'm asking a question more than making a statement here.

If the individual is basically equally unhappy before and after the procedures, and the only difference is that now they are able to identify physically and legally as the other gender, is that successful as an intervention? 

I would say it wasn't successful as an intervention but it was something that was valid to do in the hope that it might be. They can point out the statistics, but if some were happier . . . if I was in this situation and the doctors said that usually the people weren't any happier afterwards than before, i think I would still try because it might work out for me.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Doc on September 01, 2007, 03:03:23 pm
At the end of the day it's got to be an individual's choice, as something that personal can only be.
I'm sure some people after taking such an insanely life changing path find they aren't as happy as they thought they'd be but if we are to be free we must have the freedom to fail.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: side_show on September 01, 2007, 03:08:41 pm
Yeah, AD that's a tough one.

I heard about this study a while back related to a local case I have some indirect ties to.  Anyway... the two things I think about related to the study are this:

1) No matter what surgery can do, one will always know what used to be, will still carry the psychological ramifications of a previous lifetime "lost."

2) Socially, people who have been gender-reassigned face persecution to the extreme.  While things might be improving, the final truth is that a trans person likely faces a lifetime as a marginalized member of the larger community.    

While I can see the social ramifications of gender reassignment improving over time as understanding among the general populous increases, I don't see the internal termoil as all the "fixable."  We probably all have one or more trauma's form our past that we can't escape, and while we can cope, we know some scars never heal.  When you're hard wired from as far back as memory goes back to believe you are a deeply, deeply flawed individual and meet with violent verification of this constantly through out your life, I don't see that being something that you can truly removed from your identity.  Gender reassignment is ethically very tricky.  I find it fascinating.  Probably one far off day medicine will find a way to recognize and deal with it earlier on, which I think will make the prognosis a lot better for those who face it.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: jay-ell on September 01, 2007, 03:23:28 pm
I think a better test would be, how many come to regret the surgery ten, fifteen, or twenty years later? 

Money doesn't buy happiness either, but I wouldn't regret winning the lottery. 
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: side_show on September 01, 2007, 03:35:55 pm
Oh yeah - AD, where did you find the study?  I know I actually read it back in the day and I seem to recall that though the happiness of patients didn't necessarily increase, that the majority reported overall satisfaction and had responded to the inquire as to if, given the result, they'd do it again, that the great majority would still choose gender reassignment.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2007, 03:38:14 pm
While I can see the social ramifications of gender reassignment improving over time as understanding among the general populous increases, I don't see the internal termoil as all the "fixable."  We probably all have one or more trauma's form our past that we can't escape, and while we can cope, we know some scars never heal.  When you're hard wired from as far back as memory goes back to believe you are a deeply, deeply flawed individual and meet with violent verification of this constantly through out your life, I don't see that being something that you can truly removed from your identity.  Gender reassignment is ethically very tricky.  I find it fascinating.  Probably one far off day medicine will find a way to recognize and deal with it earlier on, which I think will make the prognosis a lot better for those who face it.

I think it's just that, for folks who truly feel they need gender reassignment, unless you feel that what they really need without realizing it is intensive therapy and/or drug regimens, the best option would be reassignment, even if it doesn't fix everything. I'm not surprised that there are ongoing problems, for a person who believes they were born the wrong gender. Although I was about to say it's kind of like the folks who want limbs cut off, and then I realized it's exactly like that except that I think they shouldn't be cutting off limbs and that it's crazy, and I think trans folks aren't quite, somehow.

Hmm, maybe I actually don't know everything. This is a bit distressing.
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: jay-ell on September 01, 2007, 03:42:25 pm
Although I was about to say it's kind of like the folks who want limbs cut off, and then I realized it's exactly like that except that I think they shouldn't be cutting off limbs and that it's crazy, and I think trans folks aren't quite, somehow.

Hmm, maybe I actually don't know everything. This is a bit distressing.

Pedro and I had this discussion recently.  I can't explain why, exactly, either, but I think that cutting off perfectly functional limbs is wrong, while turning a perfectly functional c*ck into a semi-functional pu$$y is OK. 
Title: Re: Ze, hir, etc. (Begun in TGIF)
Post by: RMJ12345 on September 01, 2007, 05:35:57 pm
I think it's just that, for folks who truly feel they need gender reassignment, unless you feel that what they really need without realizing it is intensive therapy and/or drug regimens, the best option would be reassignment, even if it doesn't fix everything. I'm not surprised that there are ongoing problems, for a person who believes they were born the wrong gender. Although I was about to say it's kind of like the folks who want limbs cut off, and then I realized it's exactly like that except that I think they shouldn't be cutting off limbs and that it's crazy, and I think trans folks aren't quite, somehow.

Hmm, maybe I actually don't know everything. This is a bit distressing.

I generally think that people should be allowed to do as they please with their bodies, including people who want to be amputees and this friend of mine.

Actually, if this individual were to go through with gender reassignment surgery and get his tits chopped off, I would respect him more - maybe he actually did mean it this time. It's none of my business anyway.