The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on August 28, 2007, 07:48:28 am
-
As a union rank MasterBrewer at A-B and a homebrewer for the past 8 years, I'd like to start up a thread for all the other homebrewers and potential homebrewers in here. I have sources that can give discounts on some supplies (which would probably be fucked by shipping costs) and plenty of experience.
Basically Im interested to see how many people have attempted the gig. I've been making homemade wine, beer, and spirits for a few years now and I can't imagine a more rewarding hobby. Recipes? Equipment? So whos into it? (other than linneas hot sister)
-
I gotta say, Ennewhy, telling a lady that her twin is hot is a pretty sly way to hit on her.
Granted, it only works in the rare case of twins but... one must be ready for every occasion.
A dude must be such as a Boy Scout of Hittin' On Ladies, already prepared, or not even try at all.
Truly, sir, you have earned your Hittin' On Twins badge.
-
Something I've had in the back of my head for a while: My dad has a bunch of bee hives so I was thinking of trying to brew some Mead but my brewing experience is exactly 0. Any suggestions on getting such a thing started?
-
Y'know something? I'm sincerely legitimately jealous of you imaginary people.
The idea of making your own mead is so far away from my reality that, like, you might as well be saying "Hey, lets try building our own catapult to lay siege to the neighboring castle but lets only use stuff we can pull out of the ground ourselves."
I'm proud of myself when I heat something I bought frozen from the store instead of buying it ready-prepared from a restaurant and y'all are considering making MEAD from your OWN BEE-HIVES.
Man. It is good you are all imaginary... because if y'all were real, I'd be feeling like the laziest man on Earth.
-
uh dude, making mead is easier than making popcorn. If you want, ill post my mead recipe.
Second, hitting on linnea and linnea twins is a plan ive been working on since day one, stop trying to blow my spot, homes. Also, linnea and linnea twins, dont read this.
-
uh dude, making mead is easier than making popcorn. If you want, ill post my mead recipe.
I would be in your debt sir. I could google it but I trust imaginary internet people I can ask questions of more than cold, unfeeling websites.
-
I have made mead before, it is truly incredibly easy. Now that I'm back from AK, I plan to have Kelli and her SO show me how to make beer. As mentioned, I am not a fan of certain beers with nasty esters (Hefeweizen, certain Belgians) but she's super-awesome at brewing and I have no doubt that she'll steer me in the right direction. She and her SO built their own kegerator, for Pete's sake.
While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board - I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.
Are you shitting us? Are you seriously a twin also? Identical or fraternal?
-
Ooh ooh ooh I have a great story about making mead.
When I was in college, we had a small group in our fraterntiy who got into homebrewing. And then my friend Bruce got a recipe for mead, and decided to make it using the homebrewing equipment we already had. He put it into thick 16-oz Yuengling bottles (sterlizied natch), and put them in their case, in the bottom of his closet, to ferment.
Then about three weeks later, he was awakened in the night by a bang from his closet. He sat up in bed, wondering what had happened, when there was a veritable explosion. When it ceased, he opened his closet to find his clothing covered in mead and broken glass. He found one unbroken bottle in the case, which he wrapped gingerly in a towel and placed out on the balcony/porch of our house.
In another week, when the mead theoretically was ready, we approached the one remaining bottle, and popped the cap. About half the contents of the bottle shot out like a firehose. We poured the remainder into glasses, and it was sickly-sweet and just about the most heavily carbonated thing we'd ever drank. Not enjoyable.
I think he made it wrong.
-
When you want to know how to turn OJ, Tang and stale bread into some kinda fermented alcohol thing I'll be in the corner.
(Secret tip, filter through underwear before drinking)
Keep that spoon sharp to repel invaders, too.
uh dude, making mead is easier than making popcorn. If you want, ill post my mead recipe.
Second, hitting on linnea and linnea twins is a plan ive been working on since day one, stop trying to blow my spot, homes. Also, linnea and linnea twins, dont read this.
Um, for you it was day one - for me it was day ~1011. My plan is slow, but complimacated.
Y'know something? I'm sincerely legitimately jealous of you imaginary people.
The idea of making your own mead is so far away from my reality that, like, you might as well be saying "Hey, lets try building our own catapult to lay siege to the neighboring castle but lets only use stuff we can pull out of the ground ourselves."
I'm proud of myself when I heat something I bought frozen from the store instead of buying it ready-prepared from a restaurant and y'all are considering making MEAD from your OWN BEE-HIVES.
Man. It is good you are all imaginary... because if y'all were real, I'd be feeling like the laziest man on Earth.
Well, fortunately you are this board's version of Robert Benchley x Mark Twain x PG Wodehouse. That is working nicely for you.
-
Well, fortunately you are this board's version of Robert Benchley x Mark Twain x PG Wodehouse. That is working nicely for you.
Ah man, I missed this earlier... I appreciate the kind words, Nab!
Comparison to Mark Twain is pretty much the second highest compliment one can give or receive in my little corner of reality. Voluntary access to an attractive lady's pink secret is, of course, the highest compliment of them all but... comparison to Twain is a very solid second.
-
What if a lady points out how Twain-like you are while granting access to the pink secret? Would this blow your mind?
-
Ah man, I missed this earlier... I appreciate the kind words, Nab!
Comparison to Mark Twain is pretty much the second highest compliment one can give or receive in my little corner of reality. Voluntary access to an attractive lady's pink secret is, of course, the highest compliment of them all but... comparison to Twain is a very solid second.
I guess in the interest of full disclosure here I should point out he is an ancestor (or maybe he lived recently enough that I can just call him a relative).
-
Doc: I dunno... if a lady makes me wear the mustache, it's usually a bit much.
Nabu: really? Neat! How closely related?
-
if a lady makes me wear the mustache
Trying to turn this into a cunnilingus joke but I'm just not up to it this arvo.
Nabu gets a can for being a fuck*ng Rock Star.
-
damn, 100000th post! I had my eyes on that one. But some other, probably more deserving person beat me to it.
I'd love to make my own booze. I lov the ready made stuff, but can imagine how satisfying it is to combine some random ingredients, leave it a while then get drunk off the results. Fermenting alcohol? More like fermenting AWESOME. Problem is it's actually illegal here. Muslim country and all that. There's only 1 shop where you can buy any sort of booze, and it's you need a license. Or, alternatively, a dad with a license and no problems fueling your alcoholism.
I aint getting involved in this whole pink Twains secret mustache thing. Way too sober for that at the moment.
-
Something I've had in the back of my head for a while: My dad has a bunch of bee hives so I was thinking of trying to brew some Mead but my brewing experience is exactly 0. Any suggestions on getting such a thing started?
I'm lazy and haven't read the whole thread yet (oh, and I also have to comment on how much I laughed re: hittin' on twins merit badge!). But, there's a book called _The Compleat Meadmaker_ that is very helpful and awesome.
I've only made mead once, with 15 pounds of honey from a local beekeeper, and it was awesome. Magical. Thing is, be very patient. It needs quite a bit of time to age well--at least a year, 3 or 4 or 5 years makes it that much better. The stuff I made has been aging for about 4 years now, and it's probably been a year since we last tried it--I should test it again! It's about 16% ABV, sweet, and still. I would REALLY like to make a dry, sparking mead sometime.
I definitely want to make some more here soon, because it's so wonderful. total nectar of the gods, yo. (Io, Saturnalia!)
-
Ah man, I missed this earlier... I appreciate the kind words, Nab!
Comparison to Mark Twain is pretty much the second highest compliment one can give or receive in my little corner of reality.
What about Wodehouse, aka "The Master?" He's pretty damn awesome, too! Although, you're right, Sam Clemens or "Plum" Wodehouse . . . either would be damn fine praise.
-
LFM, do you think Twain would be in the movie business if he were alive today?
-
LFM, do you think Twain would be in the movie business if he were alive today?
No, he'd be frantically clawing at the inside of his coffin if he were alive today.
-
Hm. That's a really good question.
If Twain were alive today, he'd probably have tried getting into movies and failed already. His stuff was really about the written word, y'know? The patience to take in the whole story, every bit of it, and only come to your thoughts at the end of the ride.
But IF you get into the movies or the teevee and succeed? That's where the bread is. And Twain went through money quickly, a lotta bad investments, so he'd probably try to get where the bread was first.
That's why he was a riverboat pilot for a while and why he tried being a gold prospector. It was where the bread was at.
Really good fuck*ng question, though, womb@. Made me think about some things.
-
And Twain went through money quickly, a lotta bad investments, so he'd probably try to get where the bread was first.
I hadn't thought of that aspect of it. He might have ended up frittering away all his talent on bad movie and TV projects. That's a sad thought, because what if there are Twains doing that now?
-
Hm. That's a really good question.
If Twain were alive today, he'd probably have tried getting into movies and failed already. His stuff was really about the written word, y'know? The patience to take in the whole story, every bit of it, and only come to your thoughts at the end of the ride.
But IF you get into the movies or the teevee and succeed? That's where the bread is. And Twain went through money quickly, a lotta bad investments, so he'd probably try to get where the bread was first.
That's why he was a riverboat pilot for a while and why he tried being a gold prospector. It was where the bread was at.
Really good fuck*ng question, though, womb@. Made me think about some things.
Didn't Twain help out US Grant there at the end by publishing his autobiography or something when Grant was broke? Maybe it was the other way around. I ain't looking it up - I have too much work I'm ignoring already and that would just exacerbate it.
He was a great/grand/what-have-you uncle, IIRC.
-
Aw, damn, womb@.
You are totally making me think I should take another shot at the one novel I got in me.
Man.
Man.
-
at the same time, Twain would have grown up in a culture centered around Mass Media other than Literature if he were alive today? so, maybe his talents would have expressed themselves differently?
-
Aw, damn, womb@.
You are totally making me think I should take another shot at the one novel I got in me.
Of course you should. What's there to lose? And besides, why should I be the only one suffering through trying to sell a novel around here?
-
To bring this back around the other side of the mountain, why isn't the title 'Beering your own Brew'?
-
at the same time, Twain would have grown up in a culture centered around Mass Media other than Literature if he were alive today? so, maybe his talents would have expressed themselves differently?
He probably wouldn't have teamed up with Nikola Tesla to battle Thomas Eddison and JP Morgan (http://www.amazon.com/Five-Fists-Science-Matt-Fraction/dp/1582406057) for a start.
The feeling I always get from Twain's work was that he loved the art of writing but he wasn't above churning out some crap to make a buck so my guess is he would have been one of those successful hollywood people who uses his crazy successful commercial projects to finance the good stuff.
Or he might have been some fuck with a blog, who knows.
-
Or he might have been some fuck with a blog, who knows.
Hey... I'M some fuck with a blog!
-
Hey... I'M some fuck with a blog!
QED
-
He'd be the new Onstad, obviously.
-
Hey... I'M some fuck with a blog!
Wait, you have a blog?
-
Don't we all? I mean, I have two or three, most of which I've forgotten to post to in months/years.
-
Yeah, on opendiary, because I specifically wanted the least trendy least hip blogging place to blog as...
I dunno, it's more of a writing journal, really, where I build ideas for later use and... like... I don't wanna seem like I'm trying to "do" something with the place where I essentially just save my spare ideas for later.
But it's www.opendiary.com/littlefallsmets if you're curious.
I'm currently using it to conduct an experiment in trying to use the collective subconsciousness of man and woman kind to win my ass the lotto so, like, any help there is apprecilated.
-
I used to be at OpenDiary, but I'm really really boring so I stopped. Now I just post the occasional journal at last.fm.