Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Beering your own Beer  (Read 5942 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Beering your own Beer
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:48:28 am »

As a union rank MasterBrewer at A-B and a homebrewer for the past 8 years, I'd like to start up a thread for all the other homebrewers and potential homebrewers in here. I have sources that can give discounts on some supplies (which would probably be fucked by shipping costs) and plenty of experience.
Basically Im interested to see how many people have attempted the gig. I've been making homemade wine, beer, and spirits for a few years now and I can't imagine a more rewarding hobby. Recipes? Equipment?  So whos into it? (other than linneas hot sister)
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:05:16 am »

I gotta say, Ennewhy, telling a lady that her twin is hot is a pretty sly way to hit on her.

Granted, it only works in the rare case of twins but... one must be ready for every occasion.

A dude must be such as a Boy Scout of Hittin' On Ladies, already prepared, or not even try at all.

Truly, sir, you have earned your Hittin' On Twins badge.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:28:29 am »

Something I've had in the back of my head for a while: My dad has a bunch of bee hives so I was thinking of trying to brew some Mead but my brewing experience is exactly 0. Any suggestions on getting such a thing started?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:39:22 am »

Y'know something? I'm sincerely legitimately jealous of you imaginary people.

The idea of making your own mead is so far away from my reality that, like, you might as well be saying "Hey, lets try building our own catapult to lay siege to the neighboring castle but lets only use stuff we can pull out of the ground ourselves."

I'm proud of myself when I heat something I bought frozen from the store instead of buying it ready-prepared from a restaurant and y'all are considering making MEAD from your OWN BEE-HIVES.

Man. It is good you are all imaginary... because if y'all were real, I'd be feeling like the laziest man on Earth.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:26:58 am »

uh dude, making mead is easier than making popcorn. If you want, ill post my mead recipe.
Second,  hitting on linnea and linnea twins is a plan ive been working on since day one, stop trying to blow my spot, homes. Also, linnea and linnea twins, dont read this.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:26:42 am »

uh dude, making mead is easier than making popcorn. If you want, ill post my mead recipe.
I would be in your debt sir. I could google it but I trust imaginary internet people I can ask questions of more than cold, unfeeling websites.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:12:18 pm »

I have made mead before, it is truly incredibly easy. Now that I'm back from AK, I plan to have Kelli and her SO show me how to make beer. As mentioned, I am not a fan of certain beers with nasty esters (Hefeweizen, certain Belgians) but she's super-awesome at brewing and I have no doubt that she'll steer me in the right direction. She and her SO built their own kegerator, for Pete's sake.

While I guess nabu is apparently the "hunk" of this board -  I do well with the womenfolk, but in a more actual rugby player, actual firefighter, broad shouldered, muscular kind of guy. My twin is a state trooper who competes in bodybuilding, but I lean more towards the economics books and whatnot.

Are you shitting us? Are you seriously a twin also? Identical or fraternal?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:32 pm »

Ooh ooh ooh I have a great story about making mead.

When I was in college, we had a small group in our fraterntiy who got into homebrewing.  And then my friend Bruce got a recipe for mead, and decided to make it using the homebrewing equipment we already had.  He put it into thick 16-oz Yuengling bottles (sterlizied natch), and put them in their case, in the bottom of his closet, to ferment.

Then about three weeks later, he was awakened in the night by a bang from his closet.  He sat up in bed, wondering what had happened, when there was a veritable explosion.  When it ceased, he opened his closet to find his clothing covered in mead and broken glass.  He found one unbroken bottle in the case, which he wrapped gingerly in a towel and placed out on the balcony/porch of our house.

In another week, when the mead theoretically was ready, we approached the one remaining bottle, and popped the cap.  About half the contents of the bottle shot out like a firehose.  We poured the remainder into glasses, and it was sickly-sweet and just about the most heavily carbonated thing we'd ever drank.  Not enjoyable.

I think he made it wrong.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 05:19:41 pm »

When you want to know how to turn OJ, Tang and stale bread into some kinda fermented alcohol thing I'll be in the corner.

(Secret tip, filter through underwear before drinking)

Keep that spoon sharp to repel invaders, too.

uh dude, making mead is easier than making popcorn. If you want, ill post my mead recipe.
Second,  hitting on linnea and linnea twins is a plan ive been working on since day one, stop trying to blow my spot, homes. Also, linnea and linnea twins, dont read this.

Um, for you it was day one - for me it was day ~1011. My plan is slow, but complimacated.

Y'know something? I'm sincerely legitimately jealous of you imaginary people.

The idea of making your own mead is so far away from my reality that, like, you might as well be saying "Hey, lets try building our own catapult to lay siege to the neighboring castle but lets only use stuff we can pull out of the ground ourselves."

I'm proud of myself when I heat something I bought frozen from the store instead of buying it ready-prepared from a restaurant and y'all are considering making MEAD from your OWN BEE-HIVES.

Man. It is good you are all imaginary... because if y'all were real, I'd be feeling like the laziest man on Earth.

Well, fortunately you are this board's version of Robert Benchley x Mark Twain x PG Wodehouse. That is working nicely for you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:50:38 pm »

Quote from: Nabubrush drinks (a lot)
Well, fortunately you are this board's version of Robert Benchley x Mark Twain x PG Wodehouse. That is working nicely for you.

Ah man, I missed this earlier... I appreciate the kind words, Nab!

Comparison to Mark Twain is pretty much the second highest compliment one can give or receive in my little corner of reality. Voluntary access to an attractive lady's pink secret is, of course, the highest compliment of them all but... comparison to Twain is a very solid second.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 03:18:48 am »

What if a lady points out how Twain-like you are while granting access to the pink secret? Would this blow your mind?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 03:46:02 am »

Ah man, I missed this earlier... I appreciate the kind words, Nab!

Comparison to Mark Twain is pretty much the second highest compliment one can give or receive in my little corner of reality. Voluntary access to an attractive lady's pink secret is, of course, the highest compliment of them all but... comparison to Twain is a very solid second.

I guess in the interest of full disclosure here I should point out he is an ancestor (or maybe he lived recently enough that I can just call him a relative).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 06:12:44 am »

Doc: I dunno... if a lady makes me wear the mustache, it's usually a bit much.

Nabu: really? Neat! How closely related?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 06:19:53 am »

if a lady makes me wear the mustache

Trying to turn this into a cunnilingus joke but I'm just not up to it this arvo.

Nabu gets a can for being a fuck*ng Rock Star.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

mavies

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Beering your own Beer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »

damn, 100000th post! I had my eyes on that one. But some other, probably more deserving person beat me to it.

I'd love to make my own booze. I lov the ready made stuff, but can imagine how satisfying it is to combine some random ingredients, leave it a while then get drunk off the results. Fermenting alcohol? More like fermenting AWESOME. Problem is it's actually illegal here. Muslim country and all that. There's only 1 shop where you can buy any sort of booze, and it's you need a license. Or, alternatively, a dad with a license and no problems fueling your alcoholism.

I aint getting involved in this whole pink Twains secret mustache thing. Way too sober for that at the moment.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up