The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: dejavroom on September 12, 2007, 06:57:15 pm
-
Pish-posh! (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09122007)
-
Jesus Christ. That was exhausting to read, but damn if I don't love me some Cornelius.
-
You know, this flowchart thing could have gotten stale quickly, but not now. Pure gold.
Man, I could go for a Diamond Jim lunch about now.
-
These flow charts could be a test for ADD, a test I failed here. Also, Red steaks slathered in veal gulped down with brandy sounds DEL.ICIO.US.
-
Doesn't Brian Regan have a bit about dieting and raisins? "Not the whole raisin, just the skins" or something like that. That's going to bug me.
-
Poor Connie. Living under the Draconian rule of the anti-cholesterol doc.
-
The thought occurs to me... if I explained Achewood to someone leaving out the more fantastic details, would more people take my advice and read it? The cats and the *****s and the stuffed animals and the time travel and afterlife and so on.
Group of friends, nominally "lead" by a basically-well-meaning obscenely rich fellow who doesn't wanna accept that he isn't as deep as he thinks he is... who lets his socially anxious childhood best friend and his mainly-sensible girlfriend live with him just sort of on the momentum of childhood friendship.
The rest of the cast live in a nearby boarding-house-of-sorts... a world-worn older guy who is classy as hell and supports his English-style pub by churning out softcore pornography writings, a debauched drunk who's a pretty good cook when he's sober and fades in and out of the hardcore porn industry himself with the ebbs and flows of his sobriety, a basically-well-meaning vaguely nerdy dude who fancies himself a hipster and a chef and... a comically innocent young child, for some reason.
Much of the stories are about the characters following their whims, anxieties and blisses somewhere at the edge of popular in suburban Northern California... most of plots come out from and are resolved the rich guy's money.
Hm.
Makes it sound like a raunchier Bloom County and... while I loved Bloom County... the comparison ain't exactly apt.
-
The romance novel scene leaves me with a mental image of Marlee Matlin nasally intoning "yooouuuu" as she tumbles away in slow motion.
-
A+
-
Ah, c'mon.
I'd give Marlee Matlin... or at least late twenty, early thirties Marlee Matlin... a jump, no questions.
No questions whatsoever.
If you're within a reasonable age range of her, there is no shame in givin' Marlee Matlin a jump at all. She's kinda hot.
Unless you're confusing her with James Carville's creepy borderline-Nazi wife, Mary Matalin. That WOULD be disturbing, yeah.
-
A+
No, I can't go higher than A, because Cornelius would know that "till" is actually a word, and so would have written that rather than " 'til ".
-
No, I can't go higher than A, because Cornelius would know that "till" is actually a word, and so would have written that rather than " 'til ".
It is my understanding that "till" is a bastardization of " 'til ", which of course is the dimunitive or contracted form of "until". " 'Til " is the British spelling, although I'm sure that just plain old till is creeping into the vernacular. I stand by my assertion that 'til is correct in this case.
-
Clearly the best of the flowcharts. Clearly.
The first time in a long time when I've been happy for someone who made the choice to go into work early. If I owned my own pub, I'd probably love to go to work too.
-
Clearly the best of the flowcharts. Clearly.
The first time in a long time when I've been happy for someone who made the choice to go into work early. If I owned my own pub, I'd probably love to go to work too.
G, you have obviously chosen the most perfect avatar. Tiny can.
Also, is Philippe drawing on his face similarly to when he drew the butcher dotted outline? Do you think he's using lipstick or a Sharpie?
-
Actually, I think "till", and very possibly "til", arrived in English directly from Old Norse ("til", up to), and "until" is from the same root but with "und" (meaning "as far as").
I've heard plenty of people protesting "'til" on these shores too, and I imagine it's probably on this basis.
EDIT: An appropriate link (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=until&searchmode=none) to the Online Etymology Dictionary.
-
I'd give this strip the thumbs-up were it not for the misuse of 'proscribed' instead of 'prescribed'.
'Proscribed' means prohibited or forbidden; 'prescribed' means recommended or directed for use.
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/proscribe
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/prescribe
I still love me some Cornelius Bear, though.
-
The thought occurs to me... if I explained Achewood to someone leaving out the more fantastic details, would more people take my advice and read it? The cats and the #####s and the stuffed animals and the time travel and afterlife and so on.
Group of friends, nominally "lead" by a basically-well-meaning obscenely rich fellow who doesn't wanna accept that he isn't as deep as he thinks he is... who lets his socially anxious childhood best friend and his mainly-sensible girlfriend live with him just sort of on the momentum of childhood friendship.
The rest of the cast live in a nearby boarding-house-of-sorts... a world-worn older guy who is classy as hell and supports his English-style pub by churning out softcore pornography writings, a debauched drunk who's a pretty good cook when he's sober and fades in and out of the hardcore porn industry himself with the ebbs and flows of his sobriety, a basically-well-meaning vaguely nerdy dude who fancies himself a hipster and a chef and... a comically innocent young child, for some reason.
Much of the stories are about the characters following their whims, anxieties and blisses somewhere at the edge of popular in suburban Northern California... most of plots come out from and are resolved the rich guy's money.
Hm.
Makes it sound like a raunchier Bloom County and... while I loved Bloom County... the comparison ain't exactly apt.
"What do you get when you combine a preternaturally lucky multimillionaire dilettante Lothario who sold his soul to the Devil; a suicidal cyborg cat and his resurrected-from-the-dead girlfriend; a recently-outed vegan with anger issues and an obese porn star partner; his country-spun serial killer roommate; an alcoholic ne'er-do-well whose alcohol tolerance is bested only by his aptitude for cooking and explosives; a gentleman's gentleman who funds his pub with proceeds from softcore pornography, and drives to work in a school bus with clerestory windows; a drug dealing squirrel with a stutter and a revenant of a best friend; a slightly gothic Everyman who feuds with people named Circus c*ck, and who wields risotto as a weapon, and a retarded otter who will never grow old or wise?
"You have Comedy."
-
"What do you get when you combine a preternaturally lucky multimillionaire dilettante Lothario who sold his soul to the Devil; a suicidal cyborg cat and his resurrected-from-the-dead girlfriend; a recently-outed vegan with anger issues and an obese porn star partner; his country-spun serial killer roommate; an alcoholic ne'er-do-well whose alcohol tolerance is bested only by his aptitude for cooking and explosives; a gentleman's gentleman who funds his pub with proceeds from softcore pornography, and drives to work in a school bus with clerestory windows; a drug dealing squirrel with a stutter and a revenant of a best friend; a slightly gothic Everyman who feuds with people named Circus c*ck, and who wields risotto as a weapon, and a retarded otter who will never grow old or wise?
"You have Comedy."
Damn Bobby. Just. fuck*ng. Damn.
That's a cannin'
-
spin it
lets begin it
bear and grin it...
for a minute
you can...
win it... win it WIN IT
if you...
spin it SPIN IT... spin it
UH!
TALESPIN!
-
spin it
lets begin it
bear and grin it...
for a minute
you can...
win it... win it WIN IT
if you...
spin it SPIN IT... spin it
UH!
TALESPIN!
AH! HA HA HA! SPIN IT! (http://chiaroscu.ro/tunes/TaleSpin.mp3)
-
Tale Spin was SOOO good.
-
Everyone in this thread gets cans for being awesome. Particularly Bobby.
It's weird how disney managed to make weird spin offs that were totally random but still excellentl for a while there.
I can't comment on today's strip because it won't load for me. Very random.
-
Strip no visible, I waited a decent time yesterday evening (GMT+1) then gave up.
The assbar thing seems to be nonfunctional. Since that is where the strips are stored these days... NO ACHEWOOD
-
It's working for me, but in case that's just freakish idiosyncrasy and not it having been fixed...
Emergency low-grade Elastoplast mirror! (http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/8284/bearchartli8.gif)
-
Thanks Baga, this was a good'un
-
I got bored half-way through and realized I could go beat off instead of reading someone else's masturbatory spew.
-
Jough is rockin' the rough chuckles tonight.