Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn  (Read 3671 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 07:04:55 pm »

Jesus Christ.  That was exhausting to read, but damn if I don't love me some Cornelius. 
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:25:34 pm »

You know, this flowchart thing could have gotten stale quickly, but not now. Pure gold.

Man, I could go for a Diamond Jim lunch about now.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:26:18 pm »

These flow charts could be a test for ADD, a test I failed here. Also, Red steaks slathered in veal gulped down with brandy sounds DEL.ICIO.US.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 07:33:34 pm »

Doesn't Brian Regan have a bit about dieting and raisins? "Not the whole raisin, just the skins" or something like that. That's going to bug me.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:34:38 pm »

Poor Connie. Living under the Draconian rule of the anti-cholesterol doc.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:10:43 pm »

The thought occurs to me... if I explained Achewood to someone leaving out the more fantastic details, would more people take my advice and read it? The cats and the *****s and the stuffed animals and the time travel and afterlife and so on.

Group of friends, nominally "lead" by a basically-well-meaning obscenely rich fellow who doesn't wanna accept that he isn't as deep as he thinks he is... who lets his socially anxious childhood best friend and his mainly-sensible girlfriend live with him just sort of on the momentum of childhood friendship.

The rest of the cast live in a nearby boarding-house-of-sorts... a world-worn older guy who is classy as hell and supports his English-style pub by churning out softcore pornography writings, a debauched drunk who's a pretty good cook when he's sober and fades in and out of the hardcore porn industry himself with the ebbs and flows of his sobriety, a basically-well-meaning vaguely nerdy dude who fancies himself a hipster and a chef and... a comically innocent young child, for some reason.

Much of the stories are about the characters following their whims, anxieties and blisses somewhere at the edge of popular in suburban Northern California... most of plots come out from and are resolved the rich guy's money.

Hm.

Makes it sound like a raunchier Bloom County and... while I loved Bloom County... the comparison ain't exactly apt.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 09:40:50 pm »

The romance novel scene leaves me with a mental image of Marlee Matlin nasally intoning "yooouuuu" as she tumbles away in slow motion.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 09:46:15 pm »

A+

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:48:48 pm »

Ah, c'mon.

I'd give Marlee Matlin... or at least late twenty, early thirties Marlee Matlin... a jump, no questions.

No questions whatsoever.

If you're within a reasonable age range of her, there is no shame in givin' Marlee Matlin a jump at all. She's kinda hot.

Unless you're confusing her with James Carville's creepy borderline-Nazi wife, Mary Matalin. That WOULD be disturbing, yeah.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:05:56 pm »

A+

No, I can't go higher than A, because Cornelius would know that "till" is actually a word, and so would have written that rather than " 'til ".
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 10:14:36 pm »

No, I can't go higher than A, because Cornelius would know that "till" is actually a word, and so would have written that rather than " 'til ".

It is my understanding that "till" is a bastardization of " 'til ", which of course is the dimunitive or contracted form of "until". " 'Til " is the British spelling, although I'm sure that just plain old till is creeping into the vernacular. I stand by my assertion that 'til is correct in this case.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 10:18:10 pm »

Clearly the best of the flowcharts. Clearly.

The first time in a long time when I've been happy for someone who made the choice to go into work early. If I owned my own pub, I'd probably love to go to work too.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 10:25:45 pm »

Clearly the best of the flowcharts. Clearly.

The first time in a long time when I've been happy for someone who made the choice to go into work early. If I owned my own pub, I'd probably love to go to work too.

G, you have obviously chosen the most perfect avatar. Tiny can.

Also, is Philippe drawing on his face similarly to when he drew the butcher dotted outline? Do you think he's using lipstick or a Sharpie?
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 12 September 2007 - The double-armed yawn
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:26:06 pm »

Actually, I think "till", and very possibly "til", arrived in English directly from Old Norse ("til", up to), and "until" is from the same root but with "und" (meaning "as far as").

I've heard plenty of people protesting "'til" on these shores too, and I imagine it's probably on this basis.

EDIT: An appropriate link to the Online Etymology Dictionary.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:33:50 pm by Ruta Bagas »
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up