The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Gimpson on September 13, 2007, 02:57:40 pm
-
Happy New Year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosh_Hashanah), everybody!
-
shanah tovah umetukah!
-
A lot of my coworkers got the day off today. I'm always jealous for no reason. I save a lot of time not going to synagog afterall.
So is anyone here actually Jewish? If so, may the new year be sweet for you!
-
I am not, but my fiancee is. We attended services last night (my second time). I am pretty much religiously unaffiliated, but I have really enjoyed the services I've attended so far. I like the faith's focus on the here and now, as opposed to here mainly being tryouts for the afterlife. I will have no problem raising our kid Jewish.
When we started meeting with the Cantor earlier this summer to prepare for the wedding, I mentioned that I'd be interested in learning Hebrew, or at least how to read phonetically. I gave up pretty quickly. That is some complicated stuff, and I don't envy our future son or daughter that task.
-
Man, I could really use a new year right about now. I am not Jewish, but I'm going to borrow it if no one objects.
-
It's my understanding that if you go to a rabbi and tell them you wish to convert to Judaism, they try like hell to talk you out of it.
It's also my understanding that you don't have to be Jewish to go to Jewish heaven - that the Jewish view is that there's a sort of "outer Heaven" where the basically good go, and an "inner Heaven," closer to the big man, where the Jews go.
I have no idea if either of these notions are true. But if they aren't, I want them to be. That's a good religion right there.
-
true. the Rabbi has to try to dissuade you... I think 3 times?
also, I'm pretty sure they don't believe in Heaven.
If I were a more spiritual person, I would be hell of Jewish. I have read a bunch of stuff about it... and it just makes sense. So much.
-
I'm with Inev on that, except that I don't think I could ever get over the whole circumcision thing. It would be a real weird decision on my part to go all Jack the Ripper on my knackers so late in life.
-
yay! I don't have to worry about that part!
-
I miss the days when antisemitism was an utter mystery to me.
It was the last arbitrary prejudice to properly baffle me.
-
It's my understanding that if you go to a rabbi and tell them you wish to convert to Judaism, they try like hell to talk you out of it.
If I remember my Blogging the Bible correctly way back in the Old Testament it basically says that one can't convert to Judaism. So either I'm remembering the column wrong or that's one of those rules that everybody just chooses to ignore, like executing people for inter-marrying and whatnot.
-
Everyone should blow a chauffeur in honor of this fine day.
-
Everyone should blow a chauffeur in honor of this fine day.
Wait what?
-
I just Googled "chauffeur fellatio jew" but I thought better of it and closed the window before reading any of it.
To be honest I think that particular search would have required some refinement.
-
I just Googled "chauffeur fellatio jew" but I thought better of it and closed the window before reading any of it.
To be honest I think that particular search would have required some refinement.
Indeed.
You spelled "Chauffeur" wrong. Sort of. (I edited the other posts to spell "Chauffeur" right. Sort of.)
That's all I'm saying.
-
As far as I understand it, yeah.
In the strict orthodox view of Judaism, unless you were born out of a Jewish pu$$y, you ain't actually Jewish.
Strict matriliny... despite the fact that there's not a whole lot more women's rights in orthodox Judaism than in any other fundamentalist religion.
-
I kind of like the rationale for that. That being, you always know who the kid's mother is, but you can't be sure about the babydaddy.
Basically Judaism doesn't trust people. I'm down with that.
-
I kind of like the rationale for that. That being, you always know who the kid's mother is, but you can't be sure about the babydaddy.
Basically Judaism doesn't trust people. I'm down with that.
Actually in all of biology we find that babys look more like their fathers than their mothers. It is obvious who the mother is, but in order for a father to truly care for a newborn baby, he must be sure it is his.
-
Sure, A-CAP, but do you know how many women in this world have boffed their husbands' brothers?
-
Sure, A-CAP, but do you know how many women in this world have boffed their husbands' brothers?
Pedro, be warned.
-
no, I'm pretty sure you can convert, even to Orthodox judaism. Because, I mean... the first Jews had to convert, correct? taking up the covenant and all that?
-
no, I'm pretty sure you can convert, even to Orthodox judaism. Because, I mean... the first Jews had to convert, correct? taking up the covenant and all that?
But the first ones were chosen. All other tribes were bad and evil.
-
Sure, A-CAP, but do you know how many women in this world have boffed their husbands' brothers?
Well, I don't know about A-CAP, but I don't have any idea at all. Do you have inside information?
Chalk up another reason I am glad to be an only child.
-
But the first ones were chosen. All other tribes were bad and evil.
no no no, God offered the covenant to other tribes first. The Jews were the only/first ones to accept.
at least, that is what I have been told.
-
the jews broke the covenant by worshiping the cow they made.
-
the jews broke the covenant by worshiping the cow they made.
People have broken god's covenant since day one, but the golden calf is a particularly noteworthy example.
Also, it is hilarious to hear people bandying about shit they've overheard about religion. All Jewish souls were present at the time that Moses revealed God's commandments, even the people who didn't convert until 5,000 years later. It is true that there isn't proselytizing in Judaism. One of my best friends converted to marry his wife, and now he studies with a Chabad rebbe. It's a complex religion.
-
Two more pages and we'll have this Judaism shit down.
We should probably let them know once we've figured it all out. They might be doing it wrong.
-
Yeah I always figured that if I were religious Judaism would be a good bet this is mainly because of the Talmud which was first described to me as discusssion of how the Torah and other jewish teachings should be interpreted. It just seemed very cool that there was a religion that was comfortable enough with itself that interpretation and discussion of the teachings were encouraged.
I might be totally misinformed but the Jews seem to have their shit together.
-
In principle, questioning is a virtue in Judaism. The idea is that if you haven't examined what you believe and had it challenged, how can you be sure you believe it? That said, some (quite a few) of the orthodox sects have this thing going where if your questions don't come up with answers in the right vicinity there's something implicitly wrong with you, which seems like extensive pointmissing to me.
It's possible to convert to Judaism but for many purposes a first-generation convert isn't considered "fully Jewish". This won't affect your afterlife prospects or your relationship with God or anything like that, but for things like funeral funds and Israeli citizenship you often won't qualify. The idea, like with the rabbi trying to dissuade you, is to keep people from converting for reasons other than an actual desire to embrace the Jewish faith. That said, some people will hold various kinds of prejudice against converts, but what can you do about dicks.
Belated l'shanah tovah to y'all too. I was going to make some kind of shofar/fo'sure inversion pun here but I couldn't think of one.