The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: theinevitable on September 22, 2007, 07:18:17 am

Title: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: theinevitable on September 22, 2007, 07:18:17 am
Today, on this day, being your Birthday, I wish to express my joy in the fact that you are alive and are present on this message board!

Happy Birthday!
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: V-Adore on September 22, 2007, 07:29:43 am
Oh, crap, it's technically my birthday!

Aw dang. Well, thanks.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: Doc on September 22, 2007, 08:01:47 am
Oh, crap, it's technically my birthday!

Aw dang. Well, thanks.

Well... damn... happy birthday I guess?
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: jay-ell on September 22, 2007, 04:06:34 pm
Pedro and Little P are at a street painting festival, but they would probably say Happy Birthday if they were here.  Little P just learned how to sing the song, even.  It's adorable. 

Robbie and I, however, wish you many happy returns -- me with this message, and him with furious kicking. 

Just think!  You're still closer to twenty than to thirty!  Enjoy that while it lasts, and do something mildly irresponsible today. 
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: AugustWest on September 22, 2007, 07:14:25 pm
Yay V!

Have a rockin' good birthday!
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 22, 2007, 07:28:07 pm
The world definitely has more awesome in it because you are around.

Happy birthday.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: CortJstr on September 22, 2007, 09:21:33 pm
Are you eating nachos right now? Well why the hell not?
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: V-Adore on September 22, 2007, 09:29:26 pm
I'll make myself some nachos when I sit down to watch Labyrinth with my mom.

EXCITING BIRTHDAY HIJINX
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: wombat on September 22, 2007, 09:30:15 pm
With extra cheese!
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: side_show on September 23, 2007, 03:44:29 am
Happy Birthday lady.  Huuuuuuugs.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2007, 05:24:43 pm
Happy
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: linnea on September 23, 2007, 10:41:05 pm
V, you are so awesome. Enjoy the birthday nachos!!

(I would have posted this earlier but I just got home from a weekend in the mountains).
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: V-Adore on September 24, 2007, 12:00:45 am
I did not eat nachos. Perhaps tomorrow.

On the plus side, I got one of those ice cream "cakes" which has no actual cake content, which made me happy beyond words. I've never been a cake fan.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 24, 2007, 02:29:06 pm
But, but... Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!
Yummy cake!
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: jay-ell on September 24, 2007, 02:44:50 pm
I'm with V.  Cake sucks. 

I haven't had cake for my birthday since I was nine.  We always have ice cream cake or cheesecake.  Usually ICC since Pedro is afraid of the idea of cream cheese.  And for his birthday, we always have Giant Cookie. 

We had cake at my wedding, over my strenuous objections. 
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: CortJstr on September 24, 2007, 02:48:32 pm
I'm with V.  Cake sucks. 

I haven't had cake for my birthday since I was nine.  We always have ice cream cake or cheesecake.  Usually ICC since Pedro is afraid of the idea of cream cheese.  And for his birthday, we always have Giant Cookie. 

We had cake at my wedding, over my strenuous objections. 

We're leaning towards a cupcake tree for our wedding. According to an exchange teacher my mom worked with they don't have those in New Zealand. The woman was amazed by the concept. She was like, "so they're tiny little cakes? Like each person gets their own? That's adorable! How would you even make something like that?"
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: theinevitable on September 24, 2007, 04:23:30 pm
Um, people.
Cake is not something you're allowed to dislike. Even my friend Katie, who is allergic to wheat, misses cake and loves it. Cake is amazing.
My mom's chocolate cake has made men weep.

as a babe, my grandmother gave me a tiny slice of cake. She was not supposed to have done this.
Upon her return, my mother discovered that I had learned a new word. "COOOOCK! COCK!"
"Mom... what is he saying?"
"COCK! COCK!"
"*looks over at cake*MOM! WHY DID YOU... DANIEL! NO CAKE UNTIL YOU EAT YOUR DINNER!"
and then I started crying.

the best part about this story is that now it is a Thing in my family to call Cake "Cock". And I didn't realize until really recently when I tried to write the word out that... my family had been running around the house screaming "COCK! GIVE ME COCK!"
I mean, maybe there is a subtle difference? I am not really sure how to differentiate... it is a tiny bit more of an A sound than in "cock".
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: linnea on September 24, 2007, 06:56:55 pm
Um, people.
Cake is not something you're allowed to dislike. Even my friend Katie, who is allergic to wheat, misses cake and loves it. Cake is amazing.
My mom's chocolate cake has made men weep.

as a babe, my grandmother gave me a tiny slice of cake. She was not supposed to have done this.
Upon her return, my mother discovered that I had learned a new word. "COOOOCK! COCK!"
"Mom... what is he saying?"
"COCK! COCK!"
"*looks over at cake*MOM! WHY DID YOU... DANIEL! NO CAKE UNTIL YOU EAT YOUR DINNER!"
and then I started crying.

the best part about this story is that now it is a Thing in my family to call Cake "Cock". And I didn't realize until really recently when I tried to write the word out that... my family had been running around the house screaming "COCK! GIVE ME COCK!"
I mean, maybe there is a subtle difference? I am not really sure how to differentiate... it is a tiny bit more of an A sound than in "cock".

That is a fuckin' hilarious story, tiny can for you.

My mom made chocolate cake from scratch a few times...and sweet baby Jesus, that stuff is heavenly. I am part of the cake-fan demographic. Also, they make gluten/wheat-free cake mix and flour, but it's just not the same.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: jay-ell on September 24, 2007, 08:11:17 pm
I wonder what would happen if someone who was allergic to wheat/gluten married a vegan?  (Or became a vegan, although I don't know why someone would do this to himself.)  Short of separate dinners every night, I can't think of a way to cook for this pairing. 
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: linnea on September 24, 2007, 08:41:06 pm
I wonder what would happen if someone who was allergic to wheat/gluten married a vegan?  (Or became a vegan, although I don't know why someone would do this to himself.)  Short of separate dinners every night, I can't think of a way to cook for this pairing. 

What makes you think that vegans eat a lot of wheat? There's a metric shit ton of vegan celiac/anti-gluten foods out there.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: jay-ell on September 24, 2007, 08:50:26 pm
I'm just thinking that if you don't eat any meat, eggs, or dairy, you're probably going to gravitate towards things like pasta and bread along with your veggies. 

I guess there are a lot of gluten-free pastas on the market these days, as well -- but like you said earlier, it's not quite the same. 
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: Mr Trout on September 24, 2007, 09:09:31 pm
Oh, It is totally easy cooking for someone like that! I dated a girl for 2 years whose daughter was allergic to all of the following:

Beef, Chicken, Pork
giraffe, Shellgiraffe
Wheat/Gluten
Peas
Berries
Oats
Barley
Eggs
Dairy
Soy
All nuts

She lived off of White Rice, Rice Crispies, Potato Chips and Soy Milk (Even though she was allergic to soy the doctor said soy milk was much better for her than rice milk). Cereal for breakfast, steamed rice for lunch/dinner and chips for a snack, easy as pie.

If you want to stray from that is gets harder though. We got pretty creative with the recipes too. We made or attempted to make wheat free/vegan: Pancakes, Birthday cake, waffles, muffins, cookies and other baked goods. Paul Newman ("Mah boy says he can eat fitty eggs, he can eat fitty eggs") has a great line of wheat free/vegan cookies too.

So it is possible. I am now an expert on food labels and what milk derivatives can be hiding in products (for instance, manufacturers can put whatever they want into "natural flavoring" without tell you there are milk/animal products in there. Also McDonald's uses milk in their fries, and never told anyone for many years.)
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: jaydub on September 24, 2007, 10:40:06 pm
Also McDonald's uses milk in their fries, and never told anyone for many years.)
Shades of the beef tallow scandal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_urban_legends).  You'd think they would learn.
I had a summer job there after the 1990 switch from tallow.  They did indeed make a big deal about the reduction in saturated fat accomplished by the change.  At the time the new oil was promoted as canola derived.  I know a lot of veggie types who happily crunched fries and hashbrowns, unknowingly contributing to the depth of humanity's crimes against bovines.

My brother's current girlfriend is a non-pitchfork-carrying vegan.  I tried to make her a vegan apple pie last Thanksgiving, which she was very appreciative of.  To my palate it was on the low end of edibility, however.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: jough on September 25, 2007, 03:40:56 am
Happy Belated, V.
Title: Re: We-Adore V-Adore!
Post by: iron_felix on September 29, 2007, 03:52:52 am
Happy Belated, V.

What he said.  Only more so.