The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrdna1 on October 08, 2007, 04:43:12 am

Title: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: mrdna1 on October 08, 2007, 04:43:12 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10082007

isn't that plane from the Bobbins crossover strip?

also, this Todd arc is ... strange.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: lprkn on October 08, 2007, 04:48:32 am
Wait for it....



(I hope I am waiting for something good. I hope I hope.)
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Toaster on October 08, 2007, 05:04:40 am
Double music is one of those things that I have never ever thought of before in my life. I want that to happen more; it's a thing we need more of.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: AugustWest on October 08, 2007, 05:18:32 am
For all of Ray's faults, he gives a shit about Jai's feelings.

It was very nice of him to go console Jai.  He did not have to do that.  He's a very important billionaire you know.

Ray Smuckles, You..Are..Rad..
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: RMJ12345 on October 08, 2007, 05:19:28 am
I am so confused by this turn. Why bring in Jai in this particular arc? Because I think he's funny, and so is coked-up Todd, but why do you need to go to Las Vegas to explore that particular brand of hilarity?

I know this will offend LFM, but it kind of reminds me of the manatee joke idea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Wars_Part_II), in which Onstad pulled Todd, Cocaine, Las Vegas, and Themed Mexican restaurants out of a hat.

Unless of course he's going somewhere with this.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 08, 2007, 05:23:28 am
"S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!" - this is indeed the correct title for the thread.

I am very pleased that, despite everything on Ray's mind at the moment, he still cares enough about the Fiesta Names to first want them on the receipt, and now, to say that he'll call about them.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 05:26:36 am
I am amused by the idea of a crackhead, straining to figure out how to be indulgent and decadent, and only coming up with the idea of listening to two kinds of music at once.

A friend of mine, working on a science-fiction space-opera kind of story, was trying to come up with a pleasure planet for rich aliens and... all he could kind of come up with was a planet of alien sex and casinos and drinks with alien names and so on.

Myself and another friend then proceeded to come up with some ACTUALLY decadent science-fiction ideas and by the end, we could tell that his mind had never gone into the dark places that our minds went with it.

But, then again, he was probably the better for it.

We came up with a place where they collect the last specimen of an endangered species so that a rich person can pay a large amount of money so that they can kill it, we came up with a rich alien who gets high by mainlining hot needles filled with childrens' tears.

We came up with the idea of a place where you can go, select a person out of a crowd of unsuspecting folks, have them kidnapped, put through a forcible sex change and then awaken to your taking their new virginity.

It was endearing, kinda, that all he could come up with was... y'know... a hooker with four tits.

It is endearing that the strung-out squirrel can only come up with double music.

Also, the Flaming Lips album "Zaireeka" is actually quadruple music.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Drastic Action on October 08, 2007, 07:15:57 am
Double music is awesome!  Open up a bunch of instances of winamp, and start a whole bunch of stuff in each.  Mix a slow, quiet song with something fast but sparse, along with some instrumentals.  Hilarious!

...um and no I have not done cocaine.  I just think we should not shoot down his idea right away.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 08, 2007, 07:44:48 am
Also, the Flaming Lips album "Zaireeka" is actually quadruple music.

That is exactly what I thought of.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 08, 2007, 08:05:17 am
me too.
I have never heard it, though.

Goddamn, there is so much fuck*ng music in the world. And I have learned recently exactly how much of it is Incredibly Shitty. SO MUCH. And how much of it is incredibly awesome: SO MUCH.

but I can't listen to more than one new album at a time. And it takes me a while for each one. Fuck. And I do a thing where...
"OOH! the minutemen! I love them! Wait... this guitar part reminds me of... funk. OK, funk/soul playlist! James Brown! oh, shit, Martha and the Vandellas came up on shuffle? I love this song! But the breakdown in the middle, with the yelling... I should listen to some Husker Du! Huh. This bass part really reminds me of that one Dinosaur Jr song... isn't this by the guy from Sebadoh? Damn, it is! I never did listen to their CDs that I bought..."

Maybe I need to start double-listening.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: CortJstr on October 08, 2007, 12:53:08 pm
I won some concert tickets on the radio by identifying all 3 songs playing of some triple music. I didn't think it sounded all that good. But hey, free TMBG and MMB show on new year's eve with top-shelf open bar? Yes, please.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: linnea on October 08, 2007, 01:44:47 pm
LFM, you have upset the delicate balance of the universe and changed your avatar! :(
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 02:07:37 pm
But... I merely changed it to a semi-abstract Sharpie sketch of the same idea.

The universe doesn't factor that into these things?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: jay-ell on October 08, 2007, 02:19:20 pm
LFM, you have upset the delicate balance of the universe and changed your avatar! :(

I was thinking, "who is this new guy who writes in a style eerily similar to LFM?" 
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: linnea on October 08, 2007, 03:08:43 pm
But... I merely changed it to a semi-abstract Sharpie sketch of the same idea.

The universe doesn't factor that into these things?

My little brain cannot factor that into these things. I had the same initial reaction as jayelle. Anyway, I just had to say something about it so Wombat would know that somebody's got her back.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2007, 03:35:45 pm
Anyway, I just had to say something about it so Wombat would know that somebody's got her back.

Yup, I was just scrolling down here in a big hurry to say "I hate it when people change their avatars!"
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 05:32:25 pm
Wow, I had no idea that there was so much avatar-change distaste around here.

This must be the one undercurrent that I've totally missed.

Well, I completely missed that two TOUAMB-emerituses (emeritii?) were engaging in make-outs too but...

At least a lot of people seem to have missed that one with me.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2007, 08:09:57 pm
I think this is perfectly understandable. If you walked into your place of work one day, or a party with all your friends, and you'd had plastic surgery, dyed your hair, etc, all at once - wouldn't people be freaked out? 
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 08:17:03 pm
Hm. I s'pose.

I guess I saw it more such as a hat or a pair of shoes.

"hey, new hat, nice, so anyway..."
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: melack on October 08, 2007, 08:42:41 pm
This double music gag reminds me of something I used to do to pass the time when I worked in a museum. It would get dreadfully slow past six, so I pretty much had to think of ways to entertain myself. Once such way involved the audio guides that were handed out to customers arriving through the front entrance. I would take anywhere from two to ten guides, make sure the volume was set to max on each one, and set them all to play the same recording, but with a second or so delay between each one. The sheer cacophony of it all... it sounded like the booming, echoing voice of God. Well, if God was telling you about the  early childhood of Leonardo da Vinci.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 08:58:46 pm
On my college radio show, all those years ago, that no one listened to... this was actually a frequent feature.

I'd play two CDs, an instrumental and a regular song, and fade them in and out into a mix.

Basically, low-tech on-the-fly mash-up.

We had an imaginary station director with a PhD in radio, he was a talking chimpanzee and his name was Doctor Baloney.

He was mostly a hard-driving boss but he would occasionally lapse into chimp-like behaviour. Whenever we accidentally swore, we'd blame it on the janitor and the good Doctor would beat the janitor with the chain that kept the Doc chained to the soundboard.

I know no one was listening because we didn't get murdered that day I interviewed Hitler.

Basically, Hitler was trying to change his ways because anti-semitism didn't impress the ladies anymore and... yeah.

That went well.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: jaydub on October 08, 2007, 09:17:51 pm
I think this is perfectly understandable. If you walked into your place of work one day, or a party with all your friends, and you'd had plastic surgery, dyed your hair, etc, all at once - wouldn't people be freaked out? 
Considering that he works in Hollywood, I'd think that's par for the course.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2007, 09:19:34 pm
I guess I saw it more such as a hat or a pair of shoes.

Only if you were an invisible man and all we could ever see was your hat and shoes!
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 08, 2007, 09:50:06 pm
so no else here has heard that John Cage did this as a performance piece? He turned two radios  to different stations and played them. This brought to you by the same guy who wrote a 3 movement piece without a single note.
(Also, post 666)
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 10:04:16 pm
I love music experiments like that, though.

Brian Eno does crap like that all the time... or at least used to... and Flaming Lips still do.

The idea of holding a concert by giving the audience each a machine with a music loop on it and, in total, the music changes with what the people do with their devices and... that's the concert. I love that shit.

I'm also a huge fan of how Ben Folds occasionally has the crowd "sing" the strings or horns to a song when he doesn't have those players touring with him.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 08, 2007, 11:30:17 pm
yeah, John Cage. what a guy. He did a ton of stuff with stuff like this. What a guy.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: V-Adore on October 09, 2007, 12:49:51 am
I'm glad to see this thread is actually about double music. I'mma have to try this.

Or maybe just listen to some Flaming Lips.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 09, 2007, 01:31:28 am
Wow, I had no idea that there was so much avatar-change distaste around here.

No one commented when I changed my avatar to a picture of me drinking beer out of a chicken carcass. Also, LFM, your avatar first reminded me of the new coors light logo.
(http://www.customtablefelt.com/images/beer-tavern-bar-felt/CL2-coors-light-225x128.jpg)
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2007, 01:40:28 am
i really want a new avatar. but I can't find anything as good as the Duck and Chicken. I have been trying to find something worthwhile for ages.

at one point it was the Porkchops and Applesauce icon? I stole it from someone else.

Edit: I stole it from Va.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Golfhaus on October 09, 2007, 01:49:11 am
My previous avatar (a Warholesque montage of Mr. Bear, for those of you who weren't around for it) got lost when I lost my domain name. I went blank for a little while, but I like quite much the new one.

I think the key to a successful avatar switch is to keep it in line with what came before. I had Mr. Bear before, I have Mr. Bear now. The best avatar switch in recent history has to be the switch from kittyloaf to kittyloaves, though.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 09, 2007, 02:05:43 am
I love music experiments like that, though.

Brian Eno does crap like that all the time... or at least used to... and Flaming Lips still do.

The idea of holding a concert by giving the audience each a machine with a music loop on it and, in total, the music changes with what the people do with their devices and... that's the concert. I love that shit.

I'm also a huge fan of how Ben Folds occasionally has the crowd "sing" the strings or horns to a song when he doesn't have those players touring with him.

That's cool - rather like the bit of "A Quick One, While He's Away" where The Who sing "cello cello cello cello cello cello cello cello" because they didn't have the money at the time to hire a cello player.

Also, there's a John Lennon track from one of his unlistenable early albums with Yoko that consists of him rapidly changing the stations on a radio.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: jay-ell on October 09, 2007, 02:06:09 am
Mine was down for a while due to server bills not getting paid, as well.  Glad to have her back. 

Also, A-CAP threw me for a loop too, but nobody else brought it up so I just...sucked it up. 
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 09, 2007, 03:57:49 am
Quote from: Golfhaus
I think the key to a successful avatar switch is to keep it in line with what came before.

Well, in my defense, I attempted this. I just... I just did this thing poorly, is all.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: jaydub on October 09, 2007, 04:22:44 am
Some folks change avatars like they change their shirt (judy, A-CAP, bobby, nabu).  Others adhere to Wombat's code.  I just haven't found one I like better than my 'roo.  It represents me on just about all the boards I post on.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 09, 2007, 04:25:12 am
I guess maybe there are two kinds of people - I read the name. I don't usually notice when someone changes the avatar or goes blank for awhile.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2007, 04:25:52 am
so. people who have said they lost their avatars...

you know that one of the options is "upload file," right?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: AugustWest on October 09, 2007, 04:55:27 am
so. people who have said they lost their avatars...

you know that one of the options is "upload file," right?

OLDSCHOOL INEV!!!
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: V-Adore on October 09, 2007, 04:59:39 am
I changed from the googly eye to the googly-eye-as-Snidely-Whiplash some time ago, and I never changed back. Really, I should probably pick an avatar based on my personality (instead of a board joke from a very early thread), but it's grown on me.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 09, 2007, 05:06:41 am
You could always, like, draw Darth Vader as a sexy lady with lipstick on.

Like "Darth Vadore".

Of course, you would have to like puns as much as I do.

...very few people like puns as much as I do.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 09, 2007, 05:14:52 am
man, i remember when someone (I want to say it was me? I might be wrong) suggested the mustache avatars. My cat and duck had little mustachios, it was cute.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: oball on October 09, 2007, 05:25:07 am
On most of the other boards I post on I have this as my avatar:

(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/scientist.jpg)
(From this Perry Bible Fellowship comic (http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF081AD-The_Dreamcatcher_3000.jpg#148))

It fits well because in real life I am a depressed alcoholic scientist.

When I signed up here, though, I figured I should use an Achewood avatar.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 09, 2007, 05:46:41 am
Oh! Senator Bix!
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: V-Adore on October 09, 2007, 05:53:17 am
Damn, now I want to pull a new avatar from this comic. (http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF189-Keep_on_Truckin.png#175) It is a surprisingly accurate portrayal of what rats do on drugs.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: melack on October 09, 2007, 03:42:30 pm
I feel I am doomed to a future of hamburger-viking avatars. It's a bleak future. Just do a google image search and you'll see what I mean. Seven pictures return for a "hamburger viking" search, one of them being Jack Nicholson's hirsute face in all its maniacal glory.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: wombat on October 09, 2007, 05:02:37 pm
No one commented when I changed my avatar to a picture of me drinking beer out of a chicken carcass.

Well, we've got plenty of other reasons to pick on you without it. Like don't you still owe us pictures of the guinea pig?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 09, 2007, 05:11:45 pm
The plan, when I changed from the Angry Baby, was to rotate my avatar among six familiar headshots. 

Alas I am too lazy and you're all stuck with Old Man.  For now.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: linnea on October 09, 2007, 07:33:23 pm
theinev, I liked your kitten and duck avatar! Oh well, I guess I'd better learn to roll with the changes.

I think the key to a successful avatar switch is to keep it in line with what came before. I had Mr. Bear before, I have Mr. Bear now. The best avatar switch in recent history has to be the switch from kittyloaf to kittyloaves, though.

Fuck yes, Mattgiraffe is the best for making me the Lenny-Milan avatar. So awesome.

No one commented when I changed my avatar to a picture of me drinking beer out of a chicken carcass.
Well, we've got plenty of other reasons to pick on you without it. Like don't you still owe us pictures of the guinea pig?

Yeah, for real! Where are the guinea pig pictures?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: colmore on October 10, 2007, 02:39:56 am
My old avatar vanished.

It was from superdickery.com, something that implied that something untoward had happened between Batman & his boy ward.

The current one is the Jack Kirby monster MODOK.  I like him because he has a currently vogue fan base that can be tracked to a zine started by a guy who works in my hometown comic book shop.  Or maybe a step further back to a Bob the Angry Flower Comic.

Anyway MODOK stands for Mental Organism Designed for Only Killing (or Only for Killing ... different in different books) and the old comic fan in joke is to come up with different Mental Organisms, such as MODOMODOK, the Mental Organism Designed Only for Mocking Organisms Designed Only For Killing.

And.... this is geeky.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2007, 02:44:13 am
my fav is that there was an italian neorealist (or... critical of neorealism?) film called "The Machine to Kill Bad People."
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2007, 03:23:32 am
I changed from the googly eye to the googly-eye-as-Snidely-Whiplash some time ago, and I never changed back. Really, I should probably pick an avatar based on my personality (instead of a board joke from a very early thread), but it's grown on me.

I always thought it was because you were secretly in love with me.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2007, 03:55:00 am
Damn, now I want to pull a new avatar from this comic. (http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF189-Keep_on_Truckin.png#175) It is a surprisingly accurate portrayal of what rats do on drugs.

That cartoon is brilliant.

I've always thought that Gurewitch is a modern day Charles Addams (http://www.charlesaddams.com/).  What do you party people think?

Here's (http://www.au-poil.com/images/medium_Telephone.JPG) a pretty typical Charles Addams strip.

Side note:  My search for Charles Addams cartoons led me to this (http://www.dracinabox.com/more/on/details/00058).
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2007, 03:59:45 am
I always thought it was because you were secretly in love with me.

I always thought that was just taken as read!

Anyway, I'll admit it: I'm not sure how I feel about Gothic maternity wear, but there's something cute about the concept of a "baby bat" in this context.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 10, 2007, 09:58:10 pm
Well, we've got plenty of other reasons to pick on you without it. Like don't you still owe us pictures of the guinea pig?
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/1536710214_7391135214.jpg?v=0)
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2365/1535835777_490b18d33f.jpg?v=0)

Howard, as in Howard Roark from Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.
Then Atlas, as in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
Together they are the Guinea Pig Federation of Objectivism.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: jaydub on October 10, 2007, 10:10:08 pm
Why not just Roark?  Wasn't that the way the other characters referred to him anyways?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: linnea on October 10, 2007, 10:43:21 pm
Yaaaay! Cavies! And one of them has an adorable rosette swirl on the top of his head. Awesome.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 10, 2007, 11:13:30 pm
dude.
dude.

Ayn Rand?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: linnea on October 10, 2007, 11:30:15 pm
dude.
dude.

Ayn Rand?

It's arachnocapitalist, dude. What can ya do.

**EDITED to add: A-CAP, I really like the Beer Chicken avatar, especially the dude's face who is saying, "THIS DUDE IS DRINKING BEER FROM A CHICKEN!!! CRAAAAAZY!!!"
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2007, 11:52:03 pm
Howard, as in Howard Roark from Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.
Then Atlas, as in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
Together they are the Guinea Pig Federation of Objectivism.

Such a burden for two cute little piggies to carry.  Fortunately they have brains the size of a peanut - well, maybe an almond - and don't give a damn.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: colmore on October 11, 2007, 05:17:20 am
He's in college, it's what you do.  You either get into anarchy or communism or objectivism.  And you drink beer from unusual things.  Adulthood is for normal politics and normal alcohol containers.  Go nuts.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: oball on October 11, 2007, 08:23:47 am
You either get into anarchy or communism or objectivism.  And you drink beer from unusual things.

I didn't get into any of those ideologies, and I only drank beer from bottles, glasses and cans.

What a waste of my youth.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2007, 08:24:58 am
Same here. I spent my college years being moderate-liberal ("well, I dunno, the issue has a lot of sides...") and drinking cola from traditional containers. Oh, the time I've wasted!
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 11, 2007, 07:58:04 pm
Quote from: wombat
Fortunately they have brains the size of a peanut - well, maybe an almond - and don't give a damn.

I mean, okay, that explains the objectivists, but what about the poor poor animals?
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: theinevitable on October 11, 2007, 08:18:29 pm
CANNED FOR BRILLIANCE.

also: Plato is making me kind of stop liking Democracy. But... all the other options are hell of worse. Think of that Churchhill quote (or maybe it wasn't him.)
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 11, 2007, 08:43:19 pm
The problem with benevolent dictatorship is that even if you do find a truly benevolent dictator, the next one won't be.

The next one will surely be an asshole who likes abusing power or an idiot or both.

So many of the problems of being human come down to the fact that we have life expectancies on a scale of mayflies... just at the point when we start to figure out how the world could work fairly and equitably, we're pretty much dying. Eighty years just ain't enough, people.

Every new generation comes along and takes thirty years to even figure out how to use their genitals properly and then the whole fuckin' dance begins again.

Wisdom is not perfectly transferrable as long as our lifespans are the time it takes for a god to blink out an errant eyelash.

We're all gonna think we're Marxists or Scientologists or Catholics or Randalorians or some kind of well-defined and functionally-worthless dualism until we've been kicked around by life as adults... or worse... we'll be so busy toiling for our bread that we'll never get to consider these things at all.

And by the time we're fully-formed adults who MAYBE had the time and resources to consider a Middle Path AND taken the punches to the gut to make us realize that no extremes will ever work... our economic model deluges us with bills and obligations that disallow us from anything other than surviving and MAYBE feeding our kids.

It didn't develop like that on accident.

So then we're sixty or we're seventy and we've finally got the time and the stability to start really acting on this wisdom and...

Whuh-oh! Time to start dyin'!

We're goddamn mayflies, all of us. Might as well stick with democracy in that scenario.

At least democracy can sometimes work on accident.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: jay-ell on October 11, 2007, 11:14:34 pm
He's in college, it's what you do.  You either get into anarchy or communism or objectivism.  And you drink beer from unusual things.  Adulthood is for normal politics and normal alcohol containers.  Go nuts.

When I was in college, I was a socialist.  I was also pretty into transcendentalism.  I didn't drink beer, though.  I drank bourbon from a glass.  Sometimes even with Coke in it. 

Now that I'm old, I'm a democratic socialist.  I still dig transcendentalism, actually, but I view it through the lens of my religious faith.  So, you see, I've gotten considerably more conservative in the last ten years. 

Hell, when I was sixteen I was a Marxist.  I had nowhere to go but up. 
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: melack on October 11, 2007, 11:19:07 pm
I double majored in Political Science, so my personal beliefs changed every quarter. That is to say, whatever was the exact opposite of what we were studying that quarter.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 17, 2007, 08:19:45 pm
I drank beer from a condom once.  (Unlubricated.)  Ah, peer pressure.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 18, 2007, 02:18:28 am
I drank beer from a condom once.  (Unlubricated.)  Ah, peer pressure.

Way to kill the discussion Mayor.
Title: Re: 8 Oct 2007 - S-S-SCREW YOU! I ONLY LISTEN TO DOUBLE MUSIC!
Post by: lprkn on October 18, 2007, 05:27:03 am
Why'd you kill the discussion mayor? (I nominate this as a new term for moderator, so, dibs.)