The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: lprkn on October 12, 2007, 04:02:21 am
-
So, I started thinking about this yesterday at the gym when Crazy Train started playing. What beginning riffs scream to you, "Oh, it is time to get it the fuck on!"? In my opinion, Crazy Train does this very well.
If you don't reply, you're not metal.
Sorry, somebody had to say it.
-
Welcome to the Jungle.
C'mon now.
-
See, here is the thing. I have thought about this a lot. And I realized why I like punk rock.
In, say, Whole Lotta Love. There is that moment when the guitar comes in for the Solo, and it's so fuck*ng fast and exhilarating and rocking. When I was in 10th grade, I used to listen to that 10 seconds or so of the song over and over again. It's just so INTENSE and amazing. To me, that is what Rock and Roll is.
And... Pay to Cum... is one minute and thirty-one seconds of that feeling.
But, opening lix-wise:
the cover of Killing Floor that Jimi Hendrix did at the Monteray Pop Festival. The second he starts playing... you know it's all over.
Johnny B. Goode
Nervous Breakdown by Black Flag, maybe? I used to just drum the opening of that song to myself in my head when I was pissed off at work.
in a different way: the build-up in European Son... and then they kick that garbage can over... oh my god. It makes me want to die.
Basically, Build Ups are my favorite things ever. Every song on You're Living all Over Me has like 3 moments like that. Mmm.
-
Exclusively Led Zeppelin reply:
Rock and Roll, especially the version from The Song Remains the Same.
Achilles Last Stand
The Immigrant Song
-
The opening gong and guitar from Hells Bells.
Naw, the beginning of Back in Black...
-
Not metal but gets me every time, The opening bass beat of Folsom Prison Blues.
-
fuck*ng ACE OF SPADES.
-
Swearing is completely metal.
Metal without swearing is like water without hydrogen.
Just fuckin' air.
-
Just fuckin' air.
I'm going to have to use this next time my housemate plays air supply.
It's not metal but my ears always prick to the opening chords of sympathy for the devil. Also a lot of Ok Go songs are like this for me but I fear this will get me shouted down.
-
I'm going to have to use this next time my housemate plays air supply.
It's not metal but my ears always prick to the opening chords of sympathy for the devil. Also a lot of Ok Go songs are like this for me but I fear this will get me shouted down.
Don't worry Doc. We know that It's Tough to Have a Crush When the Boy Doesn't Feel the Same Way You Do.
-
Cann'd for a terribly low blow.
Why Ok Go guy, why can't our love be?
-
Cann'd for a terribly low blow.
Why Ok Go guy, why can't our love be?
Personally I like the guy who cuts his hair into weird shapes. Like when he shaved his head and grew a tiny beard to make it look like he was wearing a telephone headset.
HOTT
-
Seconded and canned for “Fast As a Shark.” Any song that makes me want to simultaneously double over with laughter and hurl a can of grout sealer through a plate glass window is alright with me.
Judas Priest, “The Hellion / Electric Eye”: when the drums kick in, I always wish I was behind the wheel of a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta, flooring it and screaming as the acceleration pushes me back into the cracked leather seat. Or something.
The little snare drum tattoo that kicks off “Geek U.S.A.” by the Smashing Pumpkins.
The bass-and-Salvation-Army-bell intro to “Ain’t No Right” by Jane’s Addiction.
Hum: “Stars.” Such a quiet and pretty way to be killed by a falling 16-ton weight.
Van Halen: “Unchained”
Pixies: “Something Against You”
Nirvana: “Breed”
I hate to admit it, but: “Lit Up” by Buckcherry.
-
Sweet Child 'O Mine.
All together now:
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
What about the drum solo at the beginning of "Hot for Teacher?" And the list wouldn't be complete without "Jump". My mom recognizes the opening to "Jump".
Yes to Immigrant Song, for sure.
For you Rush fans out there, you can't beat the synth-tech riff at the beginning of Tom Sawyer. ENTER THE WARRIOR, BABY!
Then there's the opening to "Under Pressure," which would have been soooooo much cooler if Vanilla Ice hadn't ripped it off.
-
"Hot For Teacher" was right behind "Unchained" on my list of Pavlov-response VH openers.
See also:
Heart, "Barracuda"
Slayer, "Angel of Death"
Black Sabbath, "Turn Up the Night"
Rammstein: "Feuer Frei": I just put this on in the office and Sophie came in to make sure I was OK.
-
I can't believe I forgot Barracuda. Oh, Nancy Wilson, can you ever forgive me?
-
I don't know most of the songs you people are talking about. But I like and/or immediately recognize the openings to No Sleep Till Brooklyn and Walk This Way. Also, any given Everclear song, because they all seem to start the same way.
-
Jayelle, though your admin status trumps it, congratulations on being Risotto anyhow.
I can barely balance the internet with minimally holding down a job.
You can balance it with gestating a small person inside you.
Points must be awarded. Credit must be given.
Also, though the opening to Smashing Pumpkins "Mayonnaise" isn't metal, it's fuckin' awesome.
If I were a wrestler, my entrance music would be the opening to "Dead hoss" off Use Your Illusion One, by the by.
"When she said she was gonna, like, wreck my car... I didn't know WHAT to do... WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOA!"
-
I don't know most of the songs you people are talking about.
I will fix that for you...by about 12:30 PST.
Fixed that for you (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UIE7M8A).
-
Not metal, but the mellower side of rock and roll -
Piano/keyboard licks - I don't like Monday's by the Boomtown Rats; Love Walks In by Van Halen
Also Pinball Wizard. I think that song was written to allow people to do windmills.
-
If I were a wrestler, my entrance music would be the opening to "Dead hoss" off Use Your Illusion One, by the by.
"When she said she was gonna, like, wreck my car... I didn't know WHAT to do... WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOA!"
Everybody knows the best wrestling entrance music is Also Sprach Zarathustra. But it's kind of taken.
Wooooooooooo!
-
Stylin... WOO!
Profilin... WOO!
Rolex-wearin, limosine ridin... WOO!
-
I can't believe I forgot Barracuda. Oh, Nancy Wilson, can you ever forgive me?
I remember listening to Tony Robbins talk about when he self-sabotaged his life, went bankrupt, and gained 38 pounds. After he had an epiphany that changed his life, he put "Barracuda" in his Walkman and just went crazy. Yay for turning it around.
This thread is great. I will have to make a "Rocking Out With Your C*ck Out" playlist in iTunes.
-
Most of the songs mentioned above are now available to all and sundry here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8UIE7M8A).
-
Just makin' sure, s'all.
-
Maybe its just from having lived in the south, but the opening lick of Sweet Home Alabama improves my mood 500%
-
Wooooooo Kickstart my heart!
Well that's not leaving my head anytime soon.
-
test. did the board break again?
EDIT: huh, no, no one's posting at all, is all.
-
Maybe its just from having lived in the south, but the opening lick of Sweet Home Alabama improves my mood 500%
How do you actually measure that? Do you have relations with 5x as many relatives?
Also, War Ensemble by Slayer. SLAYER!!!
-
LFM Fact #845:
Whenever a television camera is on me in a situation wherein I have nothing to do with the production, such as a newsreport covering an event I'm at or whatever? I throw up the horns and yell "Slayer!"
I'm not even that much of a Slayer fan. It just feels right.
-
In somewhat related vein, I will probably be seeing Gwar in Nov.
-
How do you actually measure that? Do you have relations with 5x as many relatives?
Also, War Ensemble by Slayer. SLAYER!!!
I liked slayer. In middle school.
-
House of the Rising Sun - The Animals
-
I liked slayer. In middle school.
That's funny, that's when I liked Ayn Rand. But we still party sometimes.
-
oh, dude.
DUDE.
ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION.
BAM BAM BAM! BAM BAM BAM, BAM BAM BAM!
-
That's funny, that's when I liked Ayn Rand.
Interestingly, I had alla Rush Limbaugh's books and stuff when I was twelve.
(Can'd, btw.)
-
I know it may not exactly be metal, but the intro to "Pretty Woman" has to be in some sort of Hall of Fame for this. One of the classic rock intros, unquestionably.
-
I wrote this big long thing, and then I realized this thread is not about "licking openings."
My bad.
-
But...
But it CAN be. Dammit.
-
Turbo Ninja, every time I see your avatar I just imagine the man saying whatever it is you typed, very earnestly. Makes for good times when you say something about "licking openings."
-
I have been vocal about my disliking of Radiohead's new album in another thread, but I bit my tongue. It's gorgeous where it counts. It has the best guitar playing I've heard in AGES, something that these dudes pushin' 40 didn't have any right to pull off... so...
I offer that the opening guitar licks on the album opener, "15 Step" at 00:41, are to die for. To die for. So clean and velvet- ey, mmm.
-
these dudes pushin' 40 didn't have any right to pull off... so...
Fuck you.
Get offa my lawn.
-
I KNOW, MAN. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.
Getting there myself, you know. It's just that I was used to older rockstars gushing forth musical non-entities after a certain while... it's weird to gear back into fanboy mode after all these years...
-
Dude, you are named after King Crimson.
You can hear dudes in their sixties doing things with guitars Radiohead couldn't dream of, just by putting on whatever latest release is at that moment.
Radiohead is good and all but Robert Fripp travelled back in time to INVENT the guitar.
C'mon now.
-
Final Countdown.
-
Dude, you are named after King Crimson.
Jesus Christ, I did not know that.
I know nothing of King Crimson but for two tracks or something from their first album, but never really went looking for their stuff. Who'd thunk it?
-
Where did you get the name from, then?
I have canned you at least twice for the awesomeness of a Crim-based username.
I... I just assumed.
-
welll... I used to be "jade emperor" in another board full of british dicks (no offense to non-dickish british people here). when I got back there after a... beef, I thought better to disguise my old moniker, so "deja", which seemed to beg for "vu", so I tweaked it around until "vroom" came up.
-
Basically, King Crimson put out an EP in the middle Nineties called "Vroom" and so...
A later concert DVD they released was cleverly titled "dejavroom".
I just assumed... and so I made a "sum" out of "Ed".
-
Hey Limmo, on that mix you posted do you have a suggested play order?
-
Start with "The Hellion" & "Electric Eye", end with "Stars." The middle is up to you.
-
Okay, that's a start
1. The Hellion - Judas Priest
2. Electric Eye - Judas Priest
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17. Stars - Hum
Anybody want to help fill in the rest of the blanks?
Back in Black - AC/DC
Fast as a Shark - Accept
Pay to Cum - Bad Brains
Nervous Breakdown - Black Flag
Turn up the Night - Black Sabbath
Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
Welcome to the Jungle - Guns and Roses
Ain't No Right - Jane's Addiction
Johnny B. Goode (Live) - Jimi Hendrix
Immigrant Song (Live) - Led Zeppelin
Rock and Roll (Live) - Led Zeppelin
Whole Lot of Love - Led Zeppelin
something Against You - Pixies
Geek U.S.A. - Smashing Pumpkins
-
Shit, I didn't know you were THAT serious. Give me a minute, this wasn't originally a playlist, just a buncha shit I threw into a file and zipped for Cort.
Put the three Zeppelin tunes up front: WLL, R&R, Immigrant. Then:
Hendrix
ACDC
GnR
Jane's
Pumpkins
Sabbath
Hellion/EE
Accept
Black Flag
Pixies
DKs
Bad Brains
Hum
In that order, the songs sorta morph from classic rock to metal to punk, getting faster the whole time, and then Hum crushes the whole thing out.
See if this works for you.
-
Well you know, with your last mix you were adamant about the track order. And I think it made a difference.
Since the track list is a collective effort I thought a collective effort on the track order could possibly enhance the listening pleasure.
-
Adamant? Little ol' me? ;)
-
3 AM and I can't sleep... so let's search through the directory for ass-kickin' songs. This'll help!
AC/DC - Thunderstruck (with about 1000 honorable mentions)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Bif Naked - I Love Myself Today
The Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Gravity Kills - Guilty
Kula Shaker - Govinda (I really hope this isn't a mis-label)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Devil's Night Out
Nirvana - Breed
Powerman 5000 - Super Nova Goes Pop
Prodigy - Firestarter
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
Rob Zombie/White Zombie - Just about all of it
Bedtime now.
-
3 AM and I can't sleep... so let's search through the directory for ass-kickin' songs. This'll help!
AC/DC - Thunderstruck (with about 1000 honorable mentions)
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Bif Naked - I Love Myself Today
The Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Gravity Kills - Guilty
Kula Shaker - Govinda (I really hope this isn't a mis-label)
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Devil's Night Out
Nirvana - Breed
Powerman 5000 - Super Nova Goes Pop
Prodigy - Firestarter
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
Rob Zombie/White Zombie - Just about all of it
Bedtime now.
I always thought of I Love Myself Today as kind of a guilty pleasure. Guerilla Radio was almost ruined for me when somebody decided to use it as their campaign song back in 2000. Does anybody else remember the SNL when the Beasties started playing Sabotage only to have Elvis Costello run out and interrupt, so they switched to playing Radio Radio? I need to find that as an mp3.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDNDqYl65sU ?
Unfortunately the original has been taken down by NBC.
-
***** Zombie songs are genetically engineered to inspire blood-pumping passion. It's basically the same thing that AC/DC does, only more scary and less short guy.
I can't take Rage seriously, but Guerilla Radio is one of the few songs I can still rock to. Most of the rest strike me as "political message, endlessly repeated" + guitar lick + tons and tons of money in their pockets, so eh.
I didn't mention Motorhead, because you don't have to. They are motherfuck*ng Motorhead.
Forgotten/overlooked songs:
Static X - Push It
The Union Underground - Turn Me On Mr. Deadman
"Long fuse" songs of note:
Lo-Fidelity Allstars - Battle Flag
Monster Magnet - Space Lord
That's the kind of song you listen to if you want to be angry but you need a rolling start. It's a good way to ease into the angry.
-
I think the blood-pumping effects of * Zombie are we used to use More Human Than Human as our entrance music back when I was on the wrestling team. Before that it was Come Out and Play, which worked but didn't have quite the same impact.
Wait, isn't The Union Underground the band that did Across the Nation? Because I know it makes me a bad person but I like that song.
I like the song Battle Flag, but it's about 2 minutes longer than it needs to be.