The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrdna1 on October 26, 2007, 03:20:55 am

Title: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: mrdna1 on October 26, 2007, 03:20:55 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10262007

this is probably one of the most bizarre "Philippe Times" that's come out yet. I like the tie-in to Wednesday's hot tub video strip.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 26, 2007, 03:29:25 am
That'd be pretty awesome, actually.

7-11 all full of different sizes of cups labeled "Cunt"... "Double Cunt"... "Big Cunt"... "Super Big Cunt"... "X-Treme Cunt Mug"... "Big Cunt Car Cup"... these are all great comedy ideas.

It makes me hope that some day there will be a big-budget Achewood movie so that they can Achewood-ize a handful of 7-11s and get on that project. All servin' items out of the Achewood cookbooks and frosty ice-filled Big Cunts.

Lets get on this idea.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: theinevitable on October 26, 2007, 03:53:36 am
man, this reminds me... the other day in linguistics we were talking about how words are totally random 90% of the time. The professor said that if you ask a kid, he will tell you the opposite.
"Why is this called a book?"
"because... it's a book."
"but why is it called that? where does that word come from?"
"oh. *knocks on book* I guess because it's kind of hard, and you can open it, and turn the pages. Which is kind of... book."

I mean, small cup = cunt almost feel like it follows some sort of rule? to a kid, maybe.
cup + runt.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: RMJ12345 on October 26, 2007, 04:31:29 am
I thought this was funny, but I don't understand the syntax of Beef's reply to Molly.

"If you're going to go on about stuff I wish I ever got a blowjob that didn't end in me getting yelled at"

Is the "I wish..." part of a separate clause or a part of the noun phrase beginning with "stuff"?

I get the gist, I'm just wondering.

ETA: Also, what is the thing from the eighties? Does it have something to do with coke?
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 26, 2007, 04:46:39 am
I thought this was funny, but I don't understand the syntax of Beef's reply to Molly.

"If you're going to go on about stuff I wish I ever got a blowjob that didn't end in me getting yelled at"

Is the "I wish..." part of a separate clause or a part of the noun phrase beginning with "stuff"?

I get the gist, I'm just wondering.

ETA: Also, what is the thing from the eighties? Does it have something to do with coke?

I think you're supposed to parse it as if there were a comma after "stuff".
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 26, 2007, 04:58:52 am
That just looks like a 1/4 jack to me, but why would he not tell him what it was?

ETA: Also, what is the thing from the eighties? Does it have something to do with coke?
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Toaster on October 26, 2007, 05:54:02 am
Are "The Matingmen" anything like "The Sexual Homeboys"? Like the Sexual Homeboys of a previous era?

I think that the thing from the 80's is one of those motorized knoves used to cut turkeys.

Also: DON'T PERFORM A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH FOR BUBOES. PLEASE. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: otter on October 26, 2007, 06:07:06 am
"I'll have a Taquito, a Slim-Jim, and a tiny cunt of Dr. Pepper."
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Dullscythe on October 26, 2007, 11:39:51 am
Also: DON'T PERFORM A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH FOR BUBOES. PLEASE. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

I did this anyway because your reaction got my curiosity all piqued.

I really have no one to be angry with other than myself.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: linnea on October 26, 2007, 12:30:30 pm
I seem to remember a buboe being an open sore or cyst or pustule, and from what I remember they're most famously associated with the plague. I'm not googling it, though. I'll stick with memory on this one.

The thing that was found in Chris' bedroom looks suspiciously like an anal toy, but maybe I'm mistaken. There is a lot of crude sex stuff going on in this strip about which Philippe is unaware. Is this what the Stanford Chaparral or whatever the hell the name of the paper was like all the time?
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: CortJstr on October 26, 2007, 01:15:22 pm
That'd be pretty awesome, actually.

7-11 all full of different sizes of cups labeled "Cunt"... "Double Cunt"... "Big Cunt"... "Super Big Cunt"... "X-Treme Cunt Mug"... "Big Cunt Car Cup"... these are all great comedy ideas.

It makes me hope that some day there will be a big-budget Achewood movie so that they can Achewood-ize a handful of 7-11s and get on that project. All servin' items out of the Achewood cookbooks and frosty ice-filled Big Cunts.

Lets get on this idea.

Clearly the biggest cup would have to be named after a flavor of the month female celebrity. Like one size up from the Super Big Cunt would be the Paris or what have you.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Doc on October 26, 2007, 02:08:52 pm
Nah, that would be the second to last size, large but not diabetes-inducingly so. The absolute largest has to be a constant so it can be marketed to fuck and in this case I think there's only one choice:
"Yo Momma"
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: melack on October 26, 2007, 02:59:52 pm
Is anyone else at the point where they feel like they need to physically work up the energy to make it through each new Phillipe Times? It's like... I load the page... feel bombarded by a wall of text... and make a note in my head to tackle it before the day is over.

Does this make me a terrible human being or just really, really lazy?
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 26, 2007, 04:24:11 pm
Nah, that would be the second to last size, large but not diabetes-inducingly so. The absolute largest has to be a constant so it can be marketed to fuck and in this case I think there's only one choice:
"Yo Momma"

GUYS!  We talked about this!

The absolute largest would be called "Gina."
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: wombat on October 26, 2007, 04:38:29 pm
Is anyone else at the point where they feel like they need to physically work up the energy to make it through each new Phillipe Times? It's like... I load the page... feel bombarded by a wall of text... and make a note in my head to tackle it before the day is over.

Well, you want to make sure you have time to savor every word in a leisurely way, of course.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: CortJstr on October 26, 2007, 04:41:06 pm
GUYS!  We talked about this!

The absolute largest would be called "Gina."

That's just too large. People, please do no drink your own bodyweight in carbonated beverages.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 26, 2007, 04:54:05 pm
man, this reminds me... the other day in linguistics we were talking about how words are totally random 90% of the time. The professor said that if you ask a kid, he will tell you the opposite.
"Why is this called a book?"
"because... it's a book."
"but why is it called that? where does that word come from?"
"oh. *knocks on book* I guess because it's kind of hard, and you can open it, and turn the pages. Which is kind of... book."

I mean, small cup = cunt almost feel like it follows some sort of rule? to a kid, maybe.
cup + runt.

Um, does your linguistics professor hate etymology? Because I'm pretty sure that's not where books get their name. Sure, if you go far back enough there would've been some random naming, but not for the actual english word "book"--it would've been for the ancestors of that word.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: hammish on October 26, 2007, 05:58:41 pm
Is anyone else at the point where they feel like they need to physically work up the energy to make it through each new Phillipe Times? It's like... I load the page... feel bombarded by a wall of text... and make a note in my head to tackle it before the day is over.

Does this make me a terrible human being or just really, really lazy?

Phillipe's journalistic missives are certainly a hefty dose of prose -- but it's still Achewood prose. I find many of the comic's subtle visual details which give me so much joy have their linguistic equivalents in events like Phillipe Times.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: iron_felix on October 26, 2007, 06:00:06 pm
Um, does your linguistics professor hate etymology? Because I'm pretty sure that's not where books get their name. Sure, if you go far back enough there would've been some random naming, but not for the actual english word "book"--it would've been for the ancestors of that word.

...in fact, even if you can trace a word's etymology back to the level of some caveman pointing at a rock and saying "ug," it  still may not be completely random. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect)

When I first saw the Guess Place object I thought it might be some sort of curling iron, but that wouldn't give much reason for T to a) not explain it to Philippe or b) not recognize it himself.  Did curling irons look any different back in the '80s?  Maybe it was beige, and that threw him off?

Also, Jack Black as Michael Vick sounds pretty bizarre, but as an Atlantan it is good to know that Ronnie Mexico hasn't been completely forgotten in the wake of all the dogfighting controversy.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: jaydub on October 26, 2007, 06:09:26 pm
Um, does your linguistics professor hate etymology? Because I'm pretty sure that's not where books get their name. Sure, if you go far back enough there would've been some random naming, but not for the actual english word "book"--it would've been for the ancestors of that word.
I think the point was more that a kid doesn't consider why something is called what it is.  Someone tells you its a book, you get an intuitive feel for the characteristics of "book" (hard, stiff papery thing - sort of weighty with a hinge on one side).  That gets subsumed into your general model of the world, and when you're called to describe a similar, novel object you say "Its like a book, but with a screen and keyboard instead of pages".
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 26, 2007, 06:40:03 pm
...in fact, even if you can trace a word's etymology back to the level of some caveman pointing at a rock and saying "ug," it  still may not be completely random. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect)
Hmm. That sounds a little like what the prof might have been riffing on. Book does sound kind of solid and bookie.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: theinevitable on October 26, 2007, 07:36:54 pm
Quote
Um, does your linguistics professor hate etymology? Because I'm pretty sure that's not where books get their name. Sure, if you go far back enough there would've been some random naming, but not for the actual english word "book"--it would've been for the ancestors of that word.

Yeah, I mean, etymology still just goes back to some other random word that doesn't really suggest what it means. The sound "book" does not have any relation to the fact of a book.
We also talked about the words that aren't random-- M sounds in "mother", i's and t's and k's in little things (itsy-bitsy!), etc. But for most words... it's random.
I also enjoy the bird vs. giraffe experiment, where they would give a pair of words from some obscure south american language to someone, and ask which was the bird and which was the giraffe.
"twitwitweet" or "blugub". Apparently bird names come from the sound they make in almost every language.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: jaydub on October 26, 2007, 10:17:20 pm
Apparently bird names come from the sound they make in almost every language.
whipoorwill
chickadee
tit
bobwhite (quail)
cuckoo
....
others?
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: V-Adore on October 26, 2007, 10:38:31 pm
GUYS!  We talked about this!

The absolute largest would be called "Gina."

I was worried, reading this thread, that this wouldn't be mentioned. Thank you. For a moment, I'd lost faith.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: wombat on October 26, 2007, 11:47:08 pm
Apparently bird names come from the sound they make in almost every language.

Robin? Sparrow? Pigeon? Eagle? Swan? Budgerigar? Flamingo? Penguin?

I'm somewhat unimpressed with the reliability of this generalization.

Also, languages don't agree on how you even imitate the sounds of animals. Unless you think maybe dogs in Japan actually sound different and that's why they claim they go 'wan wan' instead of 'bow wow.' So it's not like this principle is going to help you predict what some bird is called in another language.

Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Doc on October 27, 2007, 12:19:31 am
That's just too large. People, please do no drink your own bodyweight in carbonated beverages.

Hey, I'm a little heavy but that's just being rude.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: theinevitable on October 27, 2007, 01:19:09 am
Quote
Robin? Sparrow? Pigeon? Eagle? Swan? Budgerigar? Flamingo? Penguin?

I'm somewhat unimpressed with the reliability of this generalization.

Also, languages don't agree on how you even imitate the sounds of animals. Unless you think maybe dogs in Japan actually sound different and that's why they claim they go 'wan wan' instead of 'bow wow.' So it's not like this principle is going to help you predict what some bird is called in another language.

Not every bird. But many. The concept is that you can guess which is a bird and which is a giraffe in that experiment.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2007, 03:27:25 am
Hmmm.  Take two fairly obscure examples and see if they'd be interchangeable.

Try "Dace" and "Plover". 

Both could feel like either a bird or a giraffe.  There's nothing particularly giraffey or birdy about either.

Wrasse  Rhea 

Cod Jay

Barracuda Cockatoo

Finch Perch

Sturgeon  Pigeon

Nope.  Sorry, not working for me.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on October 27, 2007, 03:37:55 am
Hmmm.  Take two fairly obscure examples and see if they'd be interchangeable.

Try "Dace" and "Plover". 

Both could feel like either a bird or a giraffe.  There's nothing particularly giraffey or birdy about either.

Wrasse  Rhea 

Cod Jay

Barracuda Cockatoo

Finch Perch

Sturgeon  Pigeon

Nope.  Sorry, not working for me.

I am rather embarrassed that, as the local ichthyologist, I can't really add anything to this.

EDIT:

Actually, there's "darter" and "darter". See if you can figure out which one is the bird, and which one is the giraffe.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 27, 2007, 05:28:13 am
Birds are really giraffe so it's a little hard to distinguish between the two.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: theinevitable on October 27, 2007, 07:25:15 am
I like how this rapidly changed from me saying words are random, to being told that they aren't, to saying "yeah, some aren't random, I read this study," to people telling me all these examples of how words actually are random.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2007, 02:16:48 pm
EDIT:

Actually, there's "darter" and "darter". See if you can figure out which one is the bird, and which one is the giraffe.

You need to come around more often, Victoria.

Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 27, 2007, 02:37:24 pm
I like how this rapidly changed from me saying words are random, to being told that they aren't, to saying "yeah, some aren't random, I read this study," to people telling me all these examples of how words actually are random.
There's a bit of confusion within the ranks.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: jay-ell on October 27, 2007, 07:50:18 pm
I think I was an adult before I realized that a sandpiper wasn't a type of crab. 
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: chuanoplast on October 27, 2007, 09:41:56 pm
Owls are not little winged cats with beaks!
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 28, 2007, 12:06:43 am
Haven't seen you around in a while, 'plast.

Welcome back to the party.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 28, 2007, 12:50:32 am
Sandpipers (http://www.spectropop.com/Sandpipers/index.htm)
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Toaster on October 29, 2007, 03:14:22 am
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Look at the last sentence. Look at it

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05142007
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Lenoxus on October 29, 2007, 11:56:17 pm
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Look at the last sentence. Look at it

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05142007

… I'm not getting the connection.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Toaster on October 30, 2007, 12:52:33 am
… I'm not getting the connection.

Making up fake mod bands is exactly what he did for this strip. Which is exactly what he said he was going to do in that strip I pointed out.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: iron_felix on October 30, 2007, 10:08:45 am
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Look at the last sentence. Look at it

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05142007

I... I would like to give you a tiny can for that, but you only have one...  You're not a dude like mrchee with some kind of no-cans policy going on, are you?  I don't want to mess you up or anything, here.
Title: Re: 26 Oct 2007 - What's a cunt? The smallest cup at 7-11?
Post by: Toaster on October 31, 2007, 03:49:38 am
No, no, I'm not on a restricted-can diet. Can away, if you please.