The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: linnea on November 04, 2007, 03:34:11 am

Title: Daylight Savings
Post by: linnea on November 04, 2007, 03:34:11 am
Damn, it's that time already. I need to set the clocks.

Any of you party people have big plans for your extra hour? Sleep?
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 04, 2007, 03:51:38 am
Writing, sleeping.

Looking at pornography that I'm not into but is fascinating in the fact that other people are into it.

Y'know. The usual late-Saturday-night stuff.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Limmo on November 04, 2007, 04:20:30 am
Working on my NaNoWriMo novel.  I am 2500 words behind for the day, and I was hoping to be ahead by this point, since I'm going to lose at least three full days this month ( Thanksgiving and [hopefully] two days of drunken debauchery in Western Massachusetts ).

In related news, I got an Aerobie Aeropress coffee/espresso maker and love it to death.  It makes very tasty coffee, which will aid in the delivery of the precious caffeine.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 04, 2007, 05:09:19 am
What sort of idea does someone use for a Nanowrimo idea, anyway?

What sort of idea works for a 180 page plot to be written in a month?

It has taken me over five weeks to write seventy pages, for fuck's friggin, and its gonna end up three hundred pages at least.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: chuanoplast on November 04, 2007, 05:44:25 am
I am currently using up my extra hour deciding whether to order takeout or just mix up some gross rice-n-spaghetti sauce. I'm leaning towards the takeout.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 04, 2007, 05:51:49 am
I've always felt that the concept of resetting the clocks for Daylight Savings Time is supreme hubris on our part. It seems to me it would be much more reasonable to change the hours we do things, so that, for instance, work hours would be 8 to 4 during the summer.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 04, 2007, 02:40:34 pm
All it means here is getting up earlier.  If the kids woke up at 8 AM Saturday, they're up at 7 AM today.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jough on November 04, 2007, 05:29:54 pm
I upgraded this server to PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.25, then spent another hour trying to figure out why the pdo_mysql.so extension wasn't loading.

And it's Daylight Saving Time.  No s.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: linnea on November 04, 2007, 07:40:18 pm
I upgraded this server to PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.25, then spent another hour trying to figure out why the pdo_mysql.so extension wasn't loading.

And it's Daylight Saving Time.  No s.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS
I think that the vernacular has changed usage, because I always thought it was Daylight Savings.

Anyway, the footer of the forum has this huge message:
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website (http://www.simplemachines.org/). Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/)!
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jough on November 04, 2007, 07:45:13 pm
Yeah, I was in the midst of upgrading to the latest version.

It should be okay now.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: CortJstr on November 05, 2007, 02:44:11 am
In my head I constantly and repeatedly reminded people that "daylight savings" makes no grammatical sense. I can't spell worth a damn so I know it's a bit hypocritical but this is one of the things that just bugs the crap out of me.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: theinevitable on November 05, 2007, 04:58:01 am


Wait... I have always understood it as "Daylight Saving's Time." Sorry.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 05, 2007, 05:07:46 am

Wait... I have always understood it as "Daylight Saving's Time." Sorry.
No. We are saving Daylight, which is singular, not plural or possessive. All legislation reflects this spelling and grammar construction.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: AugustWest on November 05, 2007, 05:41:24 am

Wait... I have always understood it as "Daylight Saving's Time." Sorry.

Oh Inev.  I'm so disappointed in you.  You need to speak with Professor Bob. (http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif)

"Saving's???".

Is it a contraction?  Nope.

Is it possessive?  Nope.

Sigh.

Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: theinevitable on November 05, 2007, 05:53:02 am
man, I ain't about to let legislation how to speak my own damn language.

no, see, I always understood it as a possesive. It is the time of daylight saving.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: robot_god on November 05, 2007, 06:05:43 am
Never put assunder what I believe is the proper grammar of Daylightes' Savings of Time.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 05, 2007, 06:25:52 am
man, I ain't about to let legislation how to speak my own damn language.

no, see, I always understood it as a possesive. It is the time of daylight saving.

Well that's incorrect, but "daylight savings" is perfectly acceptable - just as the bank allows one to have monetary savings, so does adjusting the clock allow one to have daylight savings.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 05, 2007, 06:39:31 pm
It caused me to get hungrier an hour "earlier" and to re-calibrate the time difference between here and Mumbai.  It really is a big screwup when the rest of the goddamn world uses a civilized clock and we're fiddling with extra hours here and there.  To make things worse, Mumbai is all the way in goddamn INDIA and apparently they use the metric system to tell time because they're +5:30 off GMT.  How in the HELL did they get offset by 30 minutes instead of being even hours like EVERYBODY ELSE?!?
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jaydub on November 05, 2007, 07:12:55 pm
Someone was probably looking at local noon and realized the sun wasn't quite perfectly at the apex of its daily arc, and his anal-retentiveness wouldn't let him sleep until he badgered the government into offsetting the clock.  I think there's someplace in Australia that is offset by 15 minute increments as well.  Due to History.

Edit:  Yay: (http://www.timegenie.com/state.time/auwa/)  Memory does not fail me, today.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: pmcd9 on November 05, 2007, 07:42:36 pm
There's someplace up in Canada that's off by 30 minutes.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 05, 2007, 09:51:35 pm
There's someplace up in Canada that's off by 30 minutes.

That would be Newfoundland. They're off on a lot of things.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jough on November 06, 2007, 03:35:03 pm
Please, people, no Newfie jokes here.  We're better than that.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jaydub on November 06, 2007, 03:54:11 pm
Please, people, no Newfie jokes here.  We're better than that.
Well, they're perfectly lovely dogs
(http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:PUg1tPspnj9s6M:http://www.newfoundlandpuppy.net/herk_jr_19m_for_newfie.jpg)

And handy for camping trips
(http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:6hJyfHQc9UwYPM:http://www.cartingwithyourdog.com/gifs/snorriand2wheelcartwithnfldstyleharness.jpg)

Although I'd avoid taking them wilderness camping.  Packing out that much poop would be a chore.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: side_show on November 07, 2007, 02:15:35 pm
And handy for camping trips
(http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:6hJyfHQc9UwYPM:http://www.cartingwithyourdog.com/gifs/snorriand2wheelcartwithnfldstyleharness.jpg)


That is darling.  So cute.

I know I've said this every year, but I hate the time changes, and for the past few years I've always been to some other time zone right before the change, which makes things even worse.  I have an awesome internal clock, so I feel like I'm on another planet when my schedules gets shifted.

Speaking of Newfoundlanders, do check out the band Great Big Sea if you want some cheery East Coast music.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 07, 2007, 09:27:48 pm
When I went on my little West coast road trip, Arizona really fucked me up.  We drove to the Grand Canyon, didn't know we were at the Grand Canyon, and drove back to Utah because that was the closest hotel with vacancy.  Anyhow, we had to be out by 12, we thought it was 3, but it was 4, so by the time we got there I took an hour long shower it was almost pointless.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 07, 2007, 10:12:36 pm
When I went on my little West coast road trip, Arizona really fucked me up.  We drove to the Grand Canyon, didn't know we were at the Grand Canyon, and drove back to Utah because that was the closest hotel with vacancy.  Anyhow, we had to be out by 12, we thought it was 3, but it was 4, so by the time we got there I took an hour long shower it was almost pointless.
When Keith is fucked up, the state of Utah becomes a hotel - with vacancy. We should party some time, let my people talk to your people.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: pmcd9 on November 07, 2007, 11:01:03 pm
In no relationship to this thread I posted a picture of me at "Little Grand Canyon" (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/1906832543/)
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 07, 2007, 11:30:36 pm
Well, it was dark.

Also, we will all be better off if Utah became a giant hotel.

Also, yeah, I got a buzz on.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jaydub on November 08, 2007, 12:19:05 am
I'm still trying to figure out how he missed a hole visible from space.
If he was driving, then its probably a good thing.  KH, goin' over the edge all Thelma and Louise style...
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 08, 2007, 01:32:10 am
Have you ever driven to the Grand Canyon at night?  You are in a forest and then the road ends.  How was I to know the road ending meant there was a big fuck*ng hole there?
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2007, 01:46:15 am
Paul, I will see your "Little Grand Canyon" and raise you "The Grand Canyon of the East."
http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2004_05.htm#000141

OK, not really "raise."
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 08, 2007, 02:12:24 am
Paul, I will see your "Little Grand Canyon" and raise you "The Grand Canyon of the East."
http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2004_05.htm#000141

OK, not really "raise."
dude that is bullshit, the Paterson falls rock anyones cock compared to that. and theyre in the middle of urban new jersey.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: kellichou on November 11, 2007, 08:12:10 pm
I've always felt that the concept of resetting the clocks for Daylight Savings Time is supreme hubris on our part. It seems to me it would be much more reasonable to change the hours we do things, so that, for instance, work hours would be 8 to 4 during the summer.

And that's why I love being a teacher.  My work hours are nil over the summer, from early June through the beginning of August.  Aaah.  I love it!  Although my work weeks during the school year can easily be 60 hour workweeks (which is why I'd love to slowly garrote people who claim that "teachers do nothing!").  We work our asses off, people.  All teaching 5 classes per day.  120 middle school kids, yo.  But it's actually awesome.  Most of the time.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: jaydub on November 12, 2007, 07:11:55 am
120 middle school kids, yo.  But it's actually awesome.  Most of the time.
You actually teach them?  I thought the purpose of middle school was just a place to let them age until their brains catch up to their bodies.  Middle school for me was the social pressure of high school without the interesting classes, plus a bunch of teachers instead of the single one from elementary days.
Plus being the foreign kid.  Though I got my accent beaten out of me within 6 months I think.
 
Title: Holes in the Ground
Post by: pmcd9 on November 14, 2007, 06:00:30 am
That's nice Carlos.  I'm a fan of big holes in the ground.

dude that is bullshit, the Paterson falls rock anyones cock compared to that. and theyre in the middle of urban new jersey.

Yeah, but you don't have a picture so shut the fuck up.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: Limmo on November 14, 2007, 04:50:07 pm
No, Texas, you shut the fuck up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMO1EI0WCs).
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: AugustWest on November 14, 2007, 06:02:47 pm
We went white water rafting here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-TMT2-DPFU) last year.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: theinevitable on November 15, 2007, 01:01:09 am
due to daylight savings time, suddenly I am walking back from class in the dark 3 days out of 5. This... makes me feel like my day is much longer than it actually is. my schedule is easy, but walking home in the dark makes it feel... long.
Title: Re: Daylight Savings
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 22, 2007, 10:06:49 pm
due to daylight savings time, suddenly I am walking back from class in the dark 3 days out of 5. This... makes me feel like my day is much longer than it actually is. my schedule is easy, but walking home in the dark makes it feel... long.

Why are you talking about daylight sav.....

oh, never mind.