Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Daylight Savings  (Read 9029 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Daylight Savings
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:34:11 am »

Damn, it's that time already. I need to set the clocks.

Any of you party people have big plans for your extra hour? Sleep?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:51:38 am »

Writing, sleeping.

Looking at pornography that I'm not into but is fascinating in the fact that other people are into it.

Y'know. The usual late-Saturday-night stuff.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 04:20:30 am »

Working on my NaNoWriMo novel.  I am 2500 words behind for the day, and I was hoping to be ahead by this point, since I'm going to lose at least three full days this month ( Thanksgiving and [hopefully] two days of drunken debauchery in Western Massachusetts ).

In related news, I got an Aerobie Aeropress coffee/espresso maker and love it to death.  It makes very tasty coffee, which will aid in the delivery of the precious caffeine.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 05:09:19 am »

What sort of idea does someone use for a Nanowrimo idea, anyway?

What sort of idea works for a 180 page plot to be written in a month?

It has taken me over five weeks to write seventy pages, for fuck's friggin, and its gonna end up three hundred pages at least.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 05:44:25 am »

I am currently using up my extra hour deciding whether to order takeout or just mix up some gross rice-n-spaghetti sauce. I'm leaning towards the takeout.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 05:51:49 am »

I've always felt that the concept of resetting the clocks for Daylight Savings Time is supreme hubris on our part. It seems to me it would be much more reasonable to change the hours we do things, so that, for instance, work hours would be 8 to 4 during the summer.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 02:40:34 pm »

All it means here is getting up earlier.  If the kids woke up at 8 AM Saturday, they're up at 7 AM today.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 05:29:54 pm »

I upgraded this server to PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.25, then spent another hour trying to figure out why the pdo_mysql.so extension wasn't loading.

And it's Daylight Saving Time.  No s.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 07:40:18 pm »

I upgraded this server to PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.25, then spent another hour trying to figure out why the pdo_mysql.so extension wasn't loading.

And it's Daylight Saving Time.  No s.

WE TALKED ABOUT THIS
I think that the vernacular has changed usage, because I always thought it was Daylight Savings.

Anyway, the footer of the forum has this huge message:
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website. Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 07:45:13 pm »

Yeah, I was in the midst of upgrading to the latest version.

It should be okay now.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:44:11 am »

In my head I constantly and repeatedly reminded people that "daylight savings" makes no grammatical sense. I can't spell worth a damn so I know it's a bit hypocritical but this is one of the things that just bugs the crap out of me.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 04:58:01 am »



Wait... I have always understood it as "Daylight Saving's Time." Sorry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 05:07:46 am »


Wait... I have always understood it as "Daylight Saving's Time." Sorry.
No. We are saving Daylight, which is singular, not plural or possessive. All legislation reflects this spelling and grammar construction.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 05:41:24 am »


Wait... I have always understood it as "Daylight Saving's Time." Sorry.

Oh Inev.  I'm so disappointed in you.  You need to speak with Professor Bob.

"Saving's???".

Is it a contraction?  Nope.

Is it possessive?  Nope.

Sigh.

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daylight Savings
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 05:53:02 am »

man, I ain't about to let legislation how to speak my own damn language.

no, see, I always understood it as a possesive. It is the time of daylight saving.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up