The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on November 13, 2007, 09:21:14 am

Title: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 13, 2007, 09:21:14 am
Uh sorry, not much quotable here. This one sort of came out of left field, no?
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11132007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11132007)
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: V-Adore on November 13, 2007, 10:07:46 am
Dornheim Smuckles -- best name ever?
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Doc on November 13, 2007, 11:36:12 am
When I read the title of this thread I didn't think I would like Dornheim and what he represents for the strip.
How wrong I was.
Dornheim is clearly a sensible, well read man who we are lucky to have met.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 13, 2007, 11:50:30 am
When I read the title of this thread I didn't think I would like Dornheim and what he represents for the strip.
How wrong I was.
Dornheim is clearly a sensible, well read man who we are lucky to have met.

Cmon doc, the dude is wearing a toupee. He drives a honda and says things like "lets take my honda". Also, why so many pens in his pocket? When is he going to need write that much shit down, immediately.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: CortJstr on November 13, 2007, 02:26:08 pm
I'm just amazed that Mr. Bear can recognize not only the brand of typewriter but also the model year. Maybe they had a font variation that only lasted that one year.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 13, 2007, 02:42:34 pm
I'm calling "con man" right now.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 13, 2007, 06:43:18 pm
Nicholas Cage is America, with all its strengths and horribly undermining flaws, in actor form.

America can star in "Raising Arizona" in its idealistic and potential-laden youth and also star in "Ghost Rider" at the end of its cycle, somehow delusional and phoning-it-in at once.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: AugustWest on November 13, 2007, 06:52:11 pm
Nicholas Cage is America, with all its strengths and horribly undermining flaws, in actor form.

America can star in "Raising Arizona" in its idealistic and potential-laden youth and also star in "Ghost Rider" at the end of its cycle, somehow delusional and phoning-it-in at once.

Nice insight, but does it have anything to do with today's strip?
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: AugustWest on November 13, 2007, 06:52:32 pm
I'm calling "con man" right now.

Lie-bot!
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: CortJstr on November 13, 2007, 07:00:49 pm
Nicholas Cage is America, with all its strengths and horribly undermining flaws, in actor form.

America can star in "Raising Arizona" in its idealistic and potential-laden youth and also star in "Ghost Rider" at the end of its cycle, somehow delusional and phoning-it-in at once.

Nice insight, but does it have anything to do with today's strip?

The alt-text: Ray takes this opportunity to do some research for his screenplay where a rogue Blue Angel attacks the Space Shuttle. Nicholas Cage ensues.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: wombat on November 13, 2007, 07:15:50 pm
Someday I need to do something about being able to see the whole alt-text.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: AugustWest on November 13, 2007, 07:24:51 pm
Nice insight, but does it have anything to do with today's strip?


The alt-text: Ray takes this opportunity to do some research for his screenplay where a rogue Blue Angel attacks the Space Shuttle. Nicholas Cage ensues.

Oh.  I, uh, knew that.  I was, um, just testing you.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Burritolingus on November 13, 2007, 07:34:12 pm
Perhaps the F/A-18 Hornet could be adapted to fire the impossibly cool ASM-135 Anti-Satellite Missile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT)

(Stolen from an adjacent aviation museum, of course. Duh.)
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: CortJstr on November 13, 2007, 07:37:10 pm
Someday I need to do something about being able to see the whole alt-text.

Do you use Firefox? Because the Comics Alt Text (http://adamv.com/dev/grease/) script for Greasemonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748) is the bee's knees. For Achewood, Dr. McNinja, and Dinosaur comics it adds the alt text underneath the comic as a caption.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 13, 2007, 08:00:46 pm
America is to The Vietnam War as Nicholas Cage is to "Con-Air". Downhill from there.

America is to Mission Accomplished as Nicholas Cage is to "Ghost Rider". All possibility for return to glory extinguished forever.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: theinevitable on November 13, 2007, 08:24:38 pm
the name Dornheim makes me want to vomit. possible blood.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: V-Adore on November 13, 2007, 11:18:30 pm
the name Dornheim makes me want to vomit. possible blood.

I just keep adding "Steamroller" to the end of it.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: linnea on November 14, 2007, 01:42:45 am
I just keep adding "Steamroller" to the end of it.

You have 123 tiny cans, but you're about to get one more, sister. Effing hilarious.

Anyway, I had ridiculously high hopes for this strip, as I didn't read it until I was paging through the new posts and saw this thread title. It was still pretty good...but I guess I was expecting something more dramatic. I keep expecting Butters to bust in on this, but Lie Bot is a pretty good bet too.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Doc on November 14, 2007, 03:03:53 am
Cmon doc, the dude is wearing a toupee. He drives a honda and says things like "lets take my honda". Also, why so many pens in his pocket? When is he going to need write that much shit down, immediately.

Dude is clearly an engineer with a military background. What you take for a toupee is actually just a terrible, terrible haircut. His speech is precise so as to never cause confusion, his mouth also terrifies me as it emerges from his beard, he prepares to eat Ray's face.
I like Dornheim so much that if he is in a strip with Molly I would feel exactly neutral about it.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: chuanoplast on November 14, 2007, 06:13:09 am
Dornheim's mouth is going to eat you while you sleep. Recommended actions: don't sleep.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: lprkn on November 14, 2007, 08:10:05 am
Dude is clearly an engineer with a military background. What you take for a toupee is actually just a terrible, terrible haircut. His speech is precise so as to never cause confusion, his mouth also terrifies me as it emerges from his beard, he prepares to eat Ray's face.
I like Dornheim so much that if he is in a strip with Molly I would feel exactly neutral about it.

Asperger's?

Also, dug the reminder on Ray's size. The cat can fit in a cooler because it is, indeed, a cat.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Doc on November 14, 2007, 08:23:03 am
Asperger's?

I'd lean towards yes but it's probably funnier if he's just really uptight without explanation.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 14, 2007, 08:50:15 am
I just looked at this strip again, and the thing leprechaun pointed out is hilarious.  Stare at that first panel for a while and there is no way you aren't laughing. 
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Lister on November 15, 2007, 04:22:23 pm
How did he know the letter would arrive one day before he did?
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Toaster on November 16, 2007, 01:57:07 am
How did he know the letter would arrive one day before he did?

Because he's just that presice.
Title: Re: 13 Nov 07 - Ray's Half-Brother, Dornheim.
Post by: Ben-San on November 16, 2007, 04:34:49 pm
Dude is clearly an engineer with a military background.

Yes. Every engineer with a security clearance I have met (this number rises as one attends science-fiction conventions) has had that haircut or a close relative.