The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Limmo on November 19, 2007, 01:28:49 am

Title: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Limmo on November 19, 2007, 01:28:49 am
The link. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11192007)

The bumper sticker will soon be available from Achewood.com.

Or at least it should.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: elfbabe on November 19, 2007, 01:35:49 am
Dammit, I was just going to start this as "His silence was articulate".

The way they're hanging on to every little irrelevant detail about Ramses is kind of depressing.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Golfhaus on November 19, 2007, 01:39:07 am
When it's all you've got...
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: linnea on November 19, 2007, 01:41:03 am
What a great strip.

EB, you're right that their clinging to sad details is hell of depressing. Too bad that RLS could never man up and be around for his litters of children that he left behind. Irene, Sondra...who knows how many others are out there.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2007, 01:57:23 am
I had a whiskey sour on Friday. It was in no way famous.

"Master of leavery" sounds like a Daily Show line.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 19, 2007, 02:14:13 am
I once ordered a whiskey sour at a reputable bar in new york city. The bartendress was hired for her looks and obviously not her art of mixology. She asked me what a whiskey sour was, so i told her. She came back with jack daniels and vermouth. Welcome to flavor country.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 19, 2007, 02:26:39 am
Whiskey sours ain't my thing. Mixed drinks, man, I'm just not a fan.

I guess I am crude like that.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 19, 2007, 02:33:30 am
I used to like them but I have sufficiently switched to straight whiskey.  I can even take down Kentucky Deluxe with no mixer/chaser these days.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: theinevitable on November 19, 2007, 02:38:32 am
a weekend or so ago did a shot of Jim Beam and was pretty unhappy with the whole experience.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 19, 2007, 02:40:27 am
A week ago I set an unofficial record at a bar by drinking a 32 oz. beer quicker than anybody had ever seen.

It is my one genetic gift.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2007, 02:50:14 am
I think I also will only vote for the candidate who supports the ass kicking initiative.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2007, 03:05:27 am
Whiskey sours ain't my thing. Mixed drinks, man, I'm just not a fan.

I guess I am crude like that.

Basically I'm not really a fan of drinking. Whiskey sours are basically the one drink I've tried that I don't hate. Although I haven't tried very many drinks at all. TI has more drinking experience than I do, is what I'm saying here.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2007, 04:13:49 am
I once ordered a whiskey sour at a reputable bar in new york city. The bartendress was hired for her looks and obviously not her art of mixology. She asked me what a whiskey sour was, so i told her. She came back with jack daniels and vermouth. Welcome to flavor country.

If it was sweet vermouth, that's a Manhattan.  Good stuff.

Also, best strip in weeks.

Turns out Ray is from his own sort of circumstances.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: jaydub on November 19, 2007, 04:47:48 am
I think I also will only vote for the candidate who supports the ass kicking initiative.
I think I'll bring this up at one of Pete Stark's next town hall meetings.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2007, 06:05:10 am
Yeah, I find this strip kind of poignant, actually: these two guys, both successful men, clinging to the bare shreds of facts about a father they've never known and never will. I'm not normally touched by Achewood, but this strip... yeah.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: HudsonVC on November 19, 2007, 06:18:21 am
I'm mildly astonished that "I care about you in a way that will never matter" was not the thread title.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 19, 2007, 06:50:27 am
Hm, I guess it's because I ain't possessed of father issues that I don't bond with this strip more. My dad is and always has been pretty much the most supportive person in my life, always proud of me, always encouraging me, never judging me, etc.

Now, I love my mom and everything... she's visiting us for the holiday right now in fact... but I've never been successful enough for her, I've never felt good enough for her, she's not happy with a broke neurotic artist you know.

She's always been supportive but always... grudgingly. Condescendingly.

Like "okay, I will let you fail like this so that you will realize how you are supposed to live eventually."

Not to mention that all the girls I really crushed hard on in school moved away and stuff.

My abandonment issues are strictly female, I s'pose.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Doc on November 19, 2007, 07:24:40 am
"I care about you in a way that will never matter."

Oh Yeah.
RSL's walk speaks for a generation that cannot find their own words.

I used to like them but I have sufficiently switched to straight whiskey.  I can even take down Kentucky Deluxe with no mixer/chaser these days.
As a man who prefers scotch with a little ice above all other liquors: I always love how when people finally get into drinking straight scotch or whiskey (or even scotch whiskey!) it is described almost as a trial, a contest that was bested and won but left it's scars. People talk of their ability to pound straight scotch the way one might brag of walking on hot coals.
We love whiskey but it doesn't love us.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 19, 2007, 08:03:55 am
I totally get what you are saying, but Whiskey can be very enjoyable now-a-days.  It did leave its scars, but Kentucky Deluxe always leaves scars.  See, it is vile, vile liquor. 

Also, I am not so good with some of the really nice/ high alcohol content bourbons, like Bakers, or Booker's, or any high class Jim Beam brand over Knob Creek.  I think this is just because it cost so fuck*ng much and, well, knob creek is cheaper and better, in my opinion.  I've learned to love Jim Beam and Knob Creek, but I cannot handle those other ones at all, which usually results in putting water in it and making it basically expensive Knob Creek (though I do get slightly more).  However, since I quit my job I have just been working on my Kentucky Deluxe drinking, and I am better for it.  There will be a time for nice bourbon at a later time.  Right now a handle of Rich and Rare is on sale for 13.99.

 oh shiiiiiit
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Doc on November 19, 2007, 11:45:33 am
Oh yeah good whiskey is good whiskey but I just notice that anyone who drinks whiskey regularly seems to acknowledge that getting there can be struggle.
I don't like bourbon but then I've only had wild turkey which is way too sweet.
But this is another thread.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 19, 2007, 11:47:53 am
Yeah, yeah, sleep deprivation sorry.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: dejavroom on November 19, 2007, 11:50:14 am
I have to say I wish Onstad paid more attention to the character's hands and arms... old gripe, I know, but Ray's arm in panel 6 looks *abhorrent*... and it's not like it would kill him to spend 6 minutes more pushing a vectorized line to where it should be. As for the strip itself, I liked it... the threat/promise of more Ramses Luther has me in thrall. In thrall, dammit!
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Doc on November 19, 2007, 12:32:49 pm
Yeah, yeah, sleep deprivation sorry.
Oh hey, I was just forcing myself to stop before I completely de-railed the thread to booze talk.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: colmore on November 22, 2007, 05:52:17 pm
the best mixed drink with whiskey in it:

Black Tooth Grin -

double (cheap) bourbon (this is a highball) over not very many rocks with a half a splash of coca cola on the top, enough to taste but not enough to make things fizzy.  don't stir.  don't garnish.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2007, 06:42:48 pm
So it's like a B&C with the ratio reversed?
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: Doc on November 23, 2007, 03:28:35 am
I've always been a boring old scotch and dry man when it comes to mixed drinks. I find coke is too sweet with  the whiskey. But then I find bourbon whiskey to be a bit sweet to so maybe this isn't aimed at my demographic.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 23, 2007, 05:33:57 am
With apologies to those of you with more sophisticated palates, I have yet to taste bourbon that doesn't remind me of chugging anbesol or listerine.

However, I do love me some Vodka, and both Vodka Tonics and Vodka Gimlets although I have noticed that 'hard liquors have the curious effect of giving me this weird headache behind my eyeballs.

Just another part of my body expressing it's disgust at the number of years I've forced it to work I guess.
Title: Re: my famous whiskey sours ( 19 November 2007 )
Post by: linnea on November 23, 2007, 06:09:06 am
I don't think I've ever had a whiskey sour. Then again, there are many mixed drinks that I have yet to try. I heart Scotch, yet I've never had a Rusty Nail or a Rob Roy. I usually just get all boring and have it on the rocks or with a tiny splash of soda added. More cocktail frontiers should be explored.