The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: linnea on November 27, 2007, 02:40:47 am

Title: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: linnea on November 27, 2007, 02:40:47 am
This is pretty flippin' sweet.

Enormous By Ray Smuckles. (http://www.achewood.com/shop/appm_dspec_premt_enr.php)
1978 Volvo 244GLE Of Despair. (http://www.achewood.com/shop/appm_dspec_premt_vlv.php)
Blogs, Vol. 1. (http://www.achewood.com/shop/books_blogs1.php)
Current Baby Status collection (http://www.achewood.com/shop/books_baby.php) (we lucked out since Paul already compiled these for us, but it would round out my book collection quite nicely).
Six Volume 'Zine Set (http://www.achewood.com/shop/books_mwy_6gift.php)
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 27, 2007, 04:00:39 am
Damn, I wish I'd seen this before I spent money on food.

As it is, I had to buy the blog book anyway.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2007, 04:22:02 am
On the one hand, this is cool if you are some kind of completist?

But all at once, the blogs AND the baby-update and the other more usual items put up for sale, it... it adds up to a weird kind of desperation. You know? Have sales been tapering off and a boost of money was needed that could only be fulfilled by throwing the kitchen sink at the completists? The blogs even, I get, they're a part of the greater universe of storytelling but...

I have to imagine NoCal is going through the same kind of real-estate burst, yes?

There's something a little off about publishing the baby update book and selling it.

Like, as a weird bonus to something else? Totally makes sense.

I don't know. It's just SUCH a tossed-off idea to later decide to monetize. I dunno.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: DanSC on November 27, 2007, 08:36:23 am
so in the baby status book page, he writes: From March 2005 through November 2007, I chronicled my experiences as a new father on a near-daily basis.

does that mean no more status updates?
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: linnea on November 27, 2007, 01:07:41 pm
so in the baby status book page, he writes: From March 2005 through November 2007, I chronicled my experiences as a new father on a near-daily basis.

does that mean no more status updates?

Nah, I think that he used "chronicled" past tense to describe his newness to fatherhood. Also he no longer does them on a near-daily basis.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theauthors on November 27, 2007, 01:09:29 pm
does this mean no more new updates??

Quote from: Onstad
That's it for the kid status.

source: front page (http://www.achewood.com)

---
lfm,

Quote
But all at once, the blogs AND the baby-update and the other more usual items put up for sale, it... it adds up to a weird kind of desperation. You know? Have sales been tapering off and a boost of money was needed that could only be fulfilled by throwing the kitchen sink at the completists? The blogs even, I get, they're a part of the greater universe of storytelling but...
ah, what a weird inference. you dont imagine it has anything to do with christmas and new year holidays coming up? which are probably best, sales-wise, in a year. its even called a 'holiday sale'

Quote
I don't know. It's just SUCH a tossed-off idea to later decide to monetize. I dunno.
Quote from: Onstad
By popular demand
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: linnea on November 27, 2007, 01:18:46 pm
does this mean no more new updates??

source: front page (http://www.achewood.com)

Looks like you're right, hoss.



Current kid status, 11/27
Today, she departs bittersweet. She waves to you, in her trendy clog shoes with the aftermarket Tinkerbell pin. She wears her Alice in Wonderland costume, but then chooses to be naked while scrubbing the popsicle mold in the kitchen sink. She asks for a piece of chocolate as big as herself, pretends her bed is a big red airplane, and wisely says that if we fill the bathtub up more deeply tomorrow, we might get a whirlpool when it drains.

That's it for the kid status. The hundreds of collected updates are now available here.

Yes, it's nostalgic for me too.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on November 27, 2007, 01:25:47 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: CortJstr on November 27, 2007, 02:04:51 pm
He often puts out a new book for Christmas. That's not desperation that's just good business sense. Since he's apparently holding off on the next collection of strips I see no problem with putting out other books.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2007, 07:30:59 pm
Putting out some new shirts or stuff like that for Jesus Day, I totally get for that...

It was just weird that... like... basically, the last two parts of the site that could possibly be monetized into paper books for sale became... sale-items at the same time.

Seemed kitchen sinky, not an organic development in fan-service.

It just... I dunno. Seemed pretty odd and pretty all-at-once.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: wombat on November 27, 2007, 08:11:55 pm
Yeah, it's Christmas. He'd have to be an idiot not to come out with new stuff.

What is up with not including all the blogs, though? I am not impressed by his reasoning for only doing that limited time period.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on November 27, 2007, 11:49:28 pm
Quote
The blogs as a book have been thrown out as an idea for a while, as mentioned in interviews prior. The infant/baby/toddler updates? Hey, most of the internet doesn't drop in here to read that thread so it's a nice $6 offering.

I am really interested in the whole idea of people other than myself who are willing to pay for something they can get for free on the internet. People are aghast when I say that I buy CDs that I already have on my computer. I am especially interested in the idea that it varies depending on the content-- buying the Achewood Books somehow makes more sense to most people than buying a CD I have already downloaded-- and yet, the downloading of music is illegal, while reading the comics online is not. Hmm.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2007, 12:33:04 am
You can't realistically read Achewood.com on the can. And that makes all the difference.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: chuanoplast on November 28, 2007, 10:43:48 am
You can't realistically read Achewood.com on the can. And that makes all the difference.

You can totally read Achewood.com on the toilet if you have a laptop. Not... not that I have done this myself.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2007, 01:49:47 pm
You can totally read Achewood.com on the toilet if you have a laptop. Not... not that I have done this myself.

It's that all hot on your legs and awkward? Maybe if you had one of those Asus Eee computers. Those look pretty tiny and badass.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on November 28, 2007, 05:23:13 pm
no, man, just put the laptop on the floor. is so easy. is basic thing.

...where is vlad lately? and liebot? have they been gone for something like a year???
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: linnea on December 02, 2007, 03:42:20 am
Did you guys see that Onstad put out a new hat (http://www.achewood.com/shop/cap.php)?

Also, I agree with CJ and Wombat. This is how the dude makes his money. He is smart for putting out new merch at Christmas.

In a similar vein, fellow webcomic humorists Drew (http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/) and (http://www.marriedtothesea.com/) Natalie (http://www.nataliedee.com/) are posting on their pages that their shit is selling way faster than expected and much faster than they can restock. They'll have more to sell in January, at least.

Even if it's way after the holiday season. Damn.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 02, 2007, 05:14:53 am
I am really interested in the whole idea of people other than myself who are willing to pay for something they can get for free on the internet. People are aghast when I say that I buy CDs that I already have on my computer. I am especially interested in the idea that it varies depending on the content-- buying the Achewood Books somehow makes more sense to most people than buying a CD I have already downloaded-- and yet, the downloading of music is illegal, while reading the comics online is not. Hmm.

I don't know, but, like, when you download something you can burn it or put it on your ipod and then back it up on your external hd and also have it on your computer.  You own it and can use it forever (unless you get DRMed shit-please don't) but if Onstad decides to take his shit off tomorrow (not that he will) he can.  That is what would make me get the books, the fact that someday achewood.com will not exist but I can have the books forever.

Also, a lot easier to try to get someone in to something by giving them a book to borrow, not having to look like a super nerd all speaking of internet cartoons, etc.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2007, 09:07:10 am
I mean... I have a ridiculous number of Achewoods saved on my computer, because I used to compulsively save comics.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 02, 2007, 09:12:40 am
Yeah, I guess you could do that.  Never thought of it.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: Golfhaus on December 02, 2007, 01:27:39 pm
if Onstad decides to take his shit off tomorrow (not that he will) he can.  That is what would make me get the books, the fact that someday achewood.com will not exist but I can have the books forever.

That was actually a minor subplot in a dream I had either last night or the previous night - that I went to read Achewood, and there was a message that he had been picked up by a syndicate and part of the deal was that he had to shut the website down because the syndicate was starting the strip from the beginning in the papers. Weird.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2007, 08:17:32 pm
I am glad I am not the only one who has Achewood and TOUAMB- related dreams.

I have also started having Facebook dreams, and I am a little less comfortable with those.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 02, 2007, 08:47:36 pm
Well yeah, what if future employers see them.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2007, 09:21:13 pm
oh my god, do not even get me started on that shit.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 02, 2007, 10:05:48 pm
Oh no, I was talking about your dreams.


oh shiiiiit
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on December 02, 2007, 10:10:53 pm
wait, what?

I meant do not get me started on the "future employers will see everything on facebook!" shit. I get in arguments about this thing. "I am OK with putting up pictures of me drinking and smoking pot on the internet, but I will delete my facebook when I want to get a job."
"Why don't you just... not put things you don't want people to see up on the internet?"
"but... what? *blank stare*"
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 02, 2007, 11:07:39 pm
I was trying to make a joke about how future employers will be able to see your dreams if they involve facebook.


Also, I don't care about future employers but also don't use facebook, so I don't want to get you started.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: linnea on December 03, 2007, 01:03:00 am
I try to make all of my online profiles as private as possible. I don't want people to be able to view my information until I specifically give them permission. Of course, you could also be like that beauty queen who posted mildly racy pictures of herself on her facebook site, and then one of her "friends" sold the pictures in an effort to make her rescind her plastic tiara and there was a mild controversy about the whole debacle. 
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 03, 2007, 01:45:32 am
Also, with this whole thing, I am pretty sure there are pictures of me hitting a bubbler on a friends facebook page, but I don't have an account.  I guess if I cared I could have him take them off, but you know, I don't.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 03, 2007, 01:54:47 am
I dont like any kind of photographic evidence of where Ive been, when Ive been there, or who Ive been with. I am defending my life from the inevitable deposition.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2007, 02:45:02 am
ironically, The Inevitable is the very guy who checks your facebook every day to see if there are any photos you haven't detagged yet.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: chuanoplast on December 03, 2007, 06:04:47 am
My facebook is safe for children.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: jaydub on December 03, 2007, 06:31:30 pm
I dont like any kind of photographic evidence of where Ive been, when Ive been there, or who Ive been with. I am defending my life from the inevitable deposition.
Tyson Chicken may at this moment be formulating a subpoena based on one of your recent avatars.  "Unwholesome portrayal" will be a key phrase.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: Formica on December 03, 2007, 07:09:54 pm
You can totally read Achewood.com on the toilet if you have a laptop. Not... not that I have done this myself.
Why not? A Basic laptop with wireless for reading on the can is, in my opinion, a very pleasant luxury. This is not to say that the stack of comic books, magazines, and user manuals on top of the tank does not belong, but really. Do not deny yourself this pleasure.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2007, 02:31:33 am
Tyson Chicken may at this moment be formulating a subpoena based on one of your recent avatars.  "Unwholesome portrayal" will be a key phrase.

Tomorrow: Chicken.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: chuanoplast on December 04, 2007, 08:19:57 am
A Basic laptop with wireless for reading on the can is, in my opinion, a very pleasant luxury.

No, no, you see, the bathroom is for playing Color Gameboy and reading. Playing Zelda on a laptop is too unwieldy.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2007, 05:36:20 pm
Also, with this whole thing, I am pretty sure there are pictures of me hitting a bubbler on a friends facebook page, but I don't have an account.  I guess if I cared I could have him take them off, but you know, I don't.

Just as a reminder, you guys know that nothing ever really goes away from the internet, right? 

Because Google caches everything? 

And because of the Wayback machine? 

Please don't post things online that you don't want people to find years and years and years later. 

Says the person who just posted a detailed message defining the three basic types of female sex toys under a handle that is based very closely on her real name. 

DO AS I SAY!  NOT AS I DO! 
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: colmore on December 05, 2007, 04:50:48 am
Every person who photographs me is just another soul who will have to be eliminated when I make my inevitable departure from the extradition treaty honoring world.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 06, 2007, 09:20:15 am
http://www.achewood.com/shop/cap.php (http://www.achewood.com/shop/cap.php)
Id like it if it was the color as the sample swatch, but in the real life photograph it looks purple or violet or maroon. I go to A-CAP, i see enough flipping purple.
Title: Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2007, 03:51:31 pm
http://www.achewood.com/shop/cap.php (http://www.achewood.com/shop/cap.php)
Id like it if it was the color as the sample swatch, but in the real life photograph it looks purple or violet or maroon. I go to A-CAP, i see enough flipping purple.
That is the swishiest damn purple I ever saw.