The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: HudsonVC on December 03, 2007, 06:44:40 am

Title: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: HudsonVC on December 03, 2007, 06:44:40 am
"In fact ... would you upgrade it ... forty-seven times?"  (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12032007)

I love how (until the next-to-last last panel) Lyle has the stone-set, nonjudgmental, pragmatic expression of a veteran sex-shop clerk here. He's pure unadulterated business.

As for that next-to-last panel, I can't tell if he's appalled or just had a "eureka" moment.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2007, 06:49:34 am
Odd how no matter what the venture Lyle still attracts the same customers.
Or there again maybe not.

It's nice that Nolan got a name though.

How is Lyle suprised by the idea of putting it IN the cup though? Is this a bridge too far even for him? In your answer please show all working and reconcile the fact that this is a guy who was last seen licking a cokehead's bra.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 03, 2007, 07:10:40 am
It's all eureka moment. Every tiny little atom of it is comprised of eureka.

In theory, yes, of course Lyle would think of putting it in the cup.

But he is very drunk most of the time and hence rarely looks beyond the first or second step of any plan.

Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: iron_felix on December 03, 2007, 07:11:42 am
I wonder if it isn't just Lyle's reaction to the extra fifty bucks being offered.  The dude's clearly desperate for his dildoed coffee fix, and Lyle's not even sure he's got that extra three dollars on him in panel seven, but suddenly he's forced to reevalutate the situation.

The fact that Onstad came right out and said Nolan looked like Edgar Allan Poe last time (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10062003) does make this kind of weird, though.  Is this some sort of commentary on Poe himself?  Or did he just happen to be an already-drawn character who looked sufficiently creepy to follow up Garfield's apperance last week?
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: melack on December 03, 2007, 07:16:27 am
I'm really excited for this arc to end.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2007, 07:17:22 am
when I get really turned on by something, I say OOH la la!
I am glad this is finally represented in a comic strip.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2007, 07:34:07 am
I'm really excited for this arc to end.

Melack, sometimes we meet as one mind, but sometimes we are as beings totally alien to one another. This is one of those times. I want the Perky Pervert to spin off to it's own damn strip at this point.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2007, 07:55:48 am
I always assumed from the first that he was putting the dildo in the coffee.  What does that say about me?
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2007, 08:48:38 am
I think what gets Lyle is Nolan's complete desperation, yeah, and the realization of just how much people are willing to pay for this service. I mean, fifty bucks more for a trivial amount more effort?
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 03, 2007, 10:44:35 am
As for that next-to-last panel, I can't tell if he's appalled or just had a "eureka" moment.
It seems that the alt-text indicates that he's appalled. Duncan stands outside of his "it takes all kinds" tolerance. He seems to get over it pretty quickly, though.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2007, 01:59:05 pm
For some reason my first thought upon seeing panel 3 was that we can see him shiver with antici
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 03, 2007, 02:11:22 pm
For some reason my first thought upon seeing panel 3 was that we can see him shiver with antici

antici-what? antici-WHAT???
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2007, 02:39:17 pm
-pation.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2007, 03:26:57 pm
I always assumed from the first that he was putting the dildo in the coffee.  What does that say about me?

It says that you and I think alike.  Also, am I the only one who wants to quibble about whether this is a dildo or a vibrator?  Two different things, people.  A dildo does not have batteries.

When I first saw the subject line on this thread, I assumed it would be ol' whats-his-name, Arrrrrrrrnold.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2007, 04:27:58 pm
It says that you and I think alike.  Also, am I the only one who wants to quibble about whether this is a dildo or a vibrator?  Two different things, people.  A dildo does not have batteries.

When I first saw the subject line on this thread, I assumed it would be ol' whats-his-name, Arrrrrrrrnold.

I was going to bring this up a couple of strips ago but decided to let it slide.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Formica on December 03, 2007, 07:03:44 pm
It says that you and I think alike.  Also, am I the only one who wants to quibble about whether this is a dildo or a vibrator?  Two different things, people.  A dildo does not have batteries.
No, you are definitely not the only one, as my first thought upon seeing the vibrations was "dildoes do not vibrate". I learned this on the school bus, in fourth grade, from a very nice girl who apparently knew a thing or two about sex toys.

I don't remember her name, but I remember the education.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: iron_felix on December 03, 2007, 07:09:54 pm
When I first saw the subject line on this thread, I assumed it would be ol' whats-his-name, Arrrrrrrrnold.

I think this is actually one of the few times I wouldn't mind seeing him come back.  But why would Aaaarthur need to pay to take advantage of the upgrade when he presumably already has Mr. Gary to dildo his coffee for him?
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 03, 2007, 07:12:07 pm
Do cats use human dildos? Im feeling like that might be painful. if they use cat dildos, do they have barbs?
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 03, 2007, 07:45:45 pm
My dad will argue up and down that Klingon dildoes would have barbs, you know.

This is only one of the ways my dad is Awesome.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2007, 10:18:22 pm
Well it is apparently stuffed-tiger sized but my guess is that it is a human one, one of those tiny ones I guess. I assume the Underground society thinks things like these are just human foolishness, apart from guys like Nolan I guess.

Edit: Stop Repeating That Word
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: linnea on December 04, 2007, 02:46:04 am
Five bucks says that Nolan From The Internet has sent Mr. Onstad a few ribald emails or ten billion, and this strip seems like pretty nice revenge on the freak.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2007, 03:19:05 pm
No, you are definitely not the only one, as my first thought upon seeing the vibrations was "dildoes do not vibrate". I learned this on the school bus, in fourth grade, from a very nice girl who apparently knew a thing or two about sex toys.

I don't remember her name, but I remember the education.


I was just coming to this thread to post this very thing.  Well, not the part about a girl on the bus in fourth grade.  But the part about how dildoes don't vibrate. 

My work here is done. 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: wombat on December 04, 2007, 05:00:37 pm
You can buy vibrating ones though, can't you? Or vibrators that are basically that shape?

And anyway, 'dildo' is a much funnier word than 'vibrator'.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on December 04, 2007, 05:09:30 pm
This is marketing. "Vibrator it" would sound ridiculous; go for "Vibrate it" and you might as well use an electric toothbrush. "Dildo it" is far more appealing.

If you're into that sort of thing from your brew, I mean.

Now if you'll excuse me, the coffee I am making for my mother is ready and I have to purge this from my brain before I bring her it to avoid life-long scarring.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2007, 05:30:31 pm
I believe that a "vibrator" is an object that vibrates and was designed for sexual purpose and may or may not resemble a penis.  A "dildo" is an object used for insertion, regardless of whether it was intended for sexual purposes (e.g. a cucumber).  A "dong" is a dildo that is designed for a sexual purpose and also realistically resembles a penis, but my understanding is that dongs may also vibrate.  In this case it may be known as either a dong, a vibrator, or -- most accurately -- a vibrating dong. 

It appears that what Lyle has here is a standard slimline battery-powered vibrator -- so the phrase "dildo it!" is not exactly 100% truthful advertising.  Then again, what the hell does it mean to "Biggie Size!" something? 

I have to agree with Ruta, however, that "vibrator it!" sounds silly.  "Vibe it!," while catchy, might be a little too vague for your average perv.  "Dildo it!" allows for no misinterpretation. 

Good marketing: the cornerstone of all fetish salesmanship. 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: lprkn on December 04, 2007, 05:48:33 pm
Five bucks says that Nolan From The Internet has sent Mr. Onstad a few ribald emails or ten billion, and this strip seems like pretty nice revenge on the freak.

Man, if so, that's pretty ill-advised. It would only encourage Nolan from the Internet.

Also, my feeling is that Lyle doesn't know or particularly care about the difference between a dildo and a vibrator. He's a businessman. He's all business, man.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on December 04, 2007, 05:52:09 pm
See, to me a "dildo" would be designed specifically as an artificial c*ck and a "dong" would only ever be an actual c*ck. I suspect these are terms whose use varies quite widely. Who knows what the prevailing definitions in the Underground are.

(For what it's worth, the OED online only has the meanings as I understand them, but its citations only go up to 1965 and 1956 respectively.)
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2007, 05:56:11 pm
See, to me a "dildo" would be designed specifically as an artificial c*ck and a "dong" would only ever be an actual c*ck. I suspect these are terms whose use varies quite widely. Who knows what the prevailing definitions in the Underground are.

(For what it's worth, the OED online only has the meanings as I understand them, but its citations only go up to 1965 and 1956 respectively.)

I've seen realistic dildoes in sex shops labeled as "dongs."  Right there on the packaging. 

They seem to almost always include testicles. 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Ruta Bagas on December 04, 2007, 06:18:57 pm
Apologies if my last post sounded like I was trying to be authoritative. It was more of a linguistic interest thing.

Although on further consideration it seems like a relatively simple business. Oh well.

It pleases me that Lyle's dilbratong changes in tone when dunked.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 04, 2007, 07:00:36 pm
but my understanding is that dongs may also vibrate. 

Dongs do not vibrate,  they fluctuate. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_%C4%91%E1%BB%93ng)

Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jaydub on December 04, 2007, 09:45:23 pm
Dongs do not vibrate,  they fluctuate. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_%C4%91%E1%BB%93ng)

They may also inflate, deflate, oscillate, and be put away for a rainy day.

Where you been, Bobby?
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2007, 10:04:17 pm
Apologies if my last post sounded like I was trying to be authoritative. It was more of a linguistic interest thing.

Oh, I didn't take it that way.  I actually agree with you -- the word "dong" should be reserved for actual, living, organic penii. 

But the way I've seen it used in sex toy packaging seems to indicate that there are relatively consistent standards for usage in the industry.  Is my point. 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 04, 2007, 10:11:31 pm
Ah, but if dong could only refer to actual c*ckes... we would be forever without the most awesome term in all of sex-toyistry.

"The double-dong"... for two people, usually two ladies but I'm sure not always, who want to be simultaneously penetrated. If you call it, as I've seen it called, the "double-dong dildo"... there, right there.

There is childishly-aliterative perfection, my friends.

Everything that is perfect about words for sex toys, right there, in the double-dong dildo.

It is... a perfect name.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 04, 2007, 10:21:31 pm
Okay, yes.  The name is awesome. 

But have you ever seen two ladies try to use one at the same time?  It looks silly. 

I mean...I imagine it would...if I had ever...ahem...watched that type of...film...

Get it in synch or give up, ladies.  That's all I ask. 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 04, 2007, 10:36:45 pm
Well, it's a lot like how I'd imagine driving standard... something I cannot do... is.

Damn near impossible to get right but OH MAN when you do, it is awesome.

All kinds of extra control of your car and all kinds of better gas mileage.

So too, I'd imagine, would be the double-dong dildo, if I were a lady who was into ladies.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: theinevitable on December 05, 2007, 12:01:43 am
my friend has one, "for humor."
When she was dogsitting last weekend, and the dog kept biting her in its innocence (big dog, wants to play), she gave him the double-dildo to chew on instead. He destroyed that thing. there was shredded whatever-is-in-floppy-dildos all over her apartment.

My favorite is when the dog went to jump up on her roommate, and her roommate frantically threw the dildo at him in order to escape.

not to derail, but having that dog start chomping on my arm, and to have the cute roommate have to pull him off me because I couldn't get him to listen... not real great. she was so authoritative, man. emasculating, and yet so hot. I guess a dog which chomps on dildos would have to bring out as many emasculating situations as possible, though.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: Doc on December 05, 2007, 12:39:05 am
I'm fairly sure if I was ever around one of those double ended dildoes (dongs, whatever your crazy nomenclature requires) I would just start re-enacting darth maul shit from Phantom Menace.
This is one of the reasons I will never be Nabu.

I guess a dog which chomps on dildos would have to bring out as many emasculating situations as possible, though.
That sounds pretty much like the definition.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: CortJstr on December 05, 2007, 12:40:21 am
I'm fairly sure if I was ever around one of those double ended dildoes (dongs, whatever your crazy nomenclature requires) I would just start re-enacting darth maul shit from Phantom Menace.
This is one of the reasons I will never be Nabu.

If the Porn Wars movie doesn't feature this scene I am going to be extremely pissed at the universe.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 05, 2007, 01:04:30 am
I'm gonna be pretty pissed at the universe if I don't find a metal song about double-dong diloes.

Because if there isn't, I'm gonna have to write one myself... and I have no idea how to write music.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: lprkn on December 05, 2007, 01:19:48 am
That's really only a very small stumbling-block when it comes to metal.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: iron_felix on December 05, 2007, 03:08:14 am
The concept of double-dong dildoes just reminds me of the finale from Requiem for a Dream, and then I feel too sad to be turned on.

On a more important note:
Ah, but if dong could only refer to actual c*ckes... we would be forever without the most awesome term in all of sex-toyistry.

So, anyone else think that "c*ckes" beats out "hosss" for funniest TOUAMB filter byproduct?  Have a C*cke and a Smile, as one of Jough's T-shirt slogans would say... maybe...
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 05, 2007, 03:22:44 am
I mentally pronounce c*ckes as "cock-eez."  Like "cookies," but with a short O. 

(insert joke about the inferiority of the male orgasm here.) 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: lprkn on December 05, 2007, 03:26:43 am
How do you know? You've never had one.

(Although it is very possible to have one on you)
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: AugustWest on December 05, 2007, 03:34:13 am
How do you know? You've never had one.

(Although it is very possible to have one on in you)

FTFY
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: pmcd9 on December 05, 2007, 03:36:54 am
FTFY

I think I liked the original.
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: lprkn on December 05, 2007, 03:43:37 am
How do you know? You've never had one.

(Although it is very possible to have one prepositions you)

FTFM
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: jay-ell on December 05, 2007, 04:37:27 am
How do you know? You've never had one.

(Although it is very possible to have one on you)

That's the thing. 

I hardly ever have only one. 

Which is exactly my point. 
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: lprkn on December 05, 2007, 06:15:09 am
Sorry, I'd argue with you, but suddenly I'm so very sleepy...


*snores*
Title: Re: Dec. 3, 2007: Oooh la LAAA! La LA LA LA LA!
Post by: theinevitable on December 05, 2007, 07:31:47 am
Quote
Sorry, I'd argue with you, but suddenly I'm so very sleepy...


*snores*

This sums up what I tried to say several times, and then kept deleting.
PARASYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM, FTW!