The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: melack on December 16, 2007, 08:47:42 pm

Title: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: melack on December 16, 2007, 08:47:42 pm
After trying out the Jones Soda Thanksgiving flavors  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_Soda#Limited_Editions)in 2005, I swore off their demonic themed beverages forever. Until now. I noticed a few bottles of candy cane flavored Jones Soda my aunt must have picked up in the fridge a moment ago and decided to try one. Bad idea! You'd think peppermint candy cane soda wouldn't be so bad. Nope! It really and truly is.

Still, I appreciate what they do. Quirky flavors, random fan-submitted pictures on the label, all that. Plus, like me, they're from Seattle. Extra cool. But boy can they trick a dude into drinking some nasty flavors.

I understand this year's Christmas pack includes Christmas Ham and Christmas Tree(!) flavors. Anyone tried those yet? Anyone have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2007, 09:07:51 pm
I know what you're talking about.

However, I haven't the stomach... literally or figuratively... to try those abominatasodas.

I dunno, maybe Christmas Tree could be good, though? Just like a piney-minty flavour?
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: linnea on December 16, 2007, 09:59:57 pm
Ham flavoured soda? What the FUCK? That is super disgusting.

Jesus H. Christ on a candycane. I can't even handle drinking gin because it tastes like blowing a Christmas tree, and yet people want to make Tannenbaum flavoured soda? I do not get it.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: V-Adore on December 16, 2007, 10:11:23 pm
I will continue to drink Jones Soda in regular flavors, but I refuse to drink anything that tastes like drinking the water from the Christmas-tree stand.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2007, 10:25:49 pm
I'm with ya on that one, L-Money.

Gin is the vilest of all the spirits.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: linnea on December 16, 2007, 10:56:37 pm
I'm with ya on that one, L-Money.

Gin is the vilest of all the spirits.

Hell yes, LFM. Gin is another reason why Kelli thinks we must not be 100% identical. She loves it, I hate it.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2007, 11:34:06 pm
oh my god, Gin is lovely. Gin and Tonic is so good, oh my gosh.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Golfhaus on December 17, 2007, 12:34:04 am
I can handle neither gin nor most Jones Soda flavors, regular or extra-weird. I WANT to like Jones Soda, though.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 17, 2007, 02:13:25 am
I am pro gin, pro jones, anti holiday flavors.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2007, 02:19:37 am
The Green Apple tastes disturbingly good. I wish I could find the cherry without fake sugar. CUNT-Lime is good.

The local news radio station tried the holiday flavors this year. The only one I heard that wasn't horrifying was chocolate coins. Which I associate with beaches and boardwalks way, way more than holidays.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2007, 03:03:23 am
The only one I heard that wasn't horrifying was chocolate coins. Which I associate with beaches and boardwalks way, way more than holidays.

Chocolate coins on the beach?  What beach is this?  Chocolate coins are for Hanukkah, although I suppose there's no law against celebrating Hanukkah at the beach... but surely that's not when you usually go?

I thought salt water taffy was the traditional candy to eat at the beach. No, let me rephrase that - the traditional candy to buy at the beach and bring home and no one eats it.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2007, 03:13:09 am
Yeah, I'll admit that I was a little confused by that, too.

I've never had a chocolate coin at a beach or boardwalk, either, they were always a holiday candy that was both Christian-and-Jew-friendly... kinda non-denominational in basic form and if they had a Santa stamped into them they were for Christmas and if they had Hebrew letters on them then they were for Chakakhan.

Fried dough and Slush Puppies remind me of beaches and boardwalks, personally.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2007, 03:33:14 am
They always had chocolate coins as a whole pirate booty/nautical kind of theme at crappy boardwalk souvenir shops. They usually came in a little yellow net baggy but sometimes they would be in like a cardboard treasure chest. Usually with a net bag inside of it.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: side_show on December 17, 2007, 03:53:16 am
I started a thread years ago about these holiday Jones sodas many years ago, though I can't find it now...

I bought some Jones for the holidays, but the Vanilla Cola flavours only.

I love Gin.  It is the drink of choice of the United Council of Melanie's.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 17, 2007, 04:36:54 am
Yeah, I'll admit that I was a little confused by that, too.

I've never had a chocolate coin at a beach or boardwalk, either, they were always a holiday candy that was both Christian-and-Jew-friendly... kinda non-denominational in basic form and if they had a Santa stamped into them they were for Christmas and if they had Hebrew letters on them then they were for Chakakhan.

Fried dough and Slush Puppies remind me of beaches and boardwalks, personally.

I had to point that out because it's the first time I've laughed at an LFM post in awhile. That's funny!

Also gin = yucky. But I love Vodka.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2007, 04:47:17 am
I'm shooting for being in better spirits, yeah.

I appreciate the noticing, I sincerely do.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2007, 05:15:12 am
We always got chocolate coins in our stockings when I was a kid.

Gin.  Ah gin. 

My first dance with the sweet seductress that is ethanol.  She taught me the subtle pleasures of a G&T on an early summer's evening and the horrors of room spins, dry heaves and pleading for merciful death.  All in the same night.

High school graduation night.  Quart of Beefeater.  Haven't touched the stuff since.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2007, 02:20:09 am
Gin's a funny drink because it affects you from the feet up.  Knock back a few g&t's and you are fine having intelligent conversation with your friends.  But when you stand up.  Waaaaay oooooh.  I thought I was fine when I left the party and only two doors down from my house.  I made it... halfway.  When I woke up the sun was rising, I had passed out behind my neighbors cars.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Golfhaus on December 18, 2007, 02:28:00 am
I've never had a chocolate coin at a beach or boardwalk, either, they were always a holiday candy that was both Christian-and-Jew-friendly... kinda non-denominational in basic form and if they had a Santa stamped into them they were for Christmas and if they had Hebrew letters on them then they were for Chakakhan.

I totally missed that until I saw AlohaDawg's post. Sweet mercy Jesus, I almost shat myself.

On the chocolate front, I will eat almost anything chocolate, but I may have just met my match in the form of the Double Chocolate Cake at the Holiday Inn, Philadelphia Airport. That cake wasn't rich... it was Bill Gates. It was Sam Walton. It was the baby of Bill Gates and Sam Walton, only in chocolate cake form. It's either going to keep me awake tonight and for the next two weeks, or my body will just reject it outright and I'll be hunched over the toilet in a minute.

I LOVE chocolate stuff, but damn.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: AugustWest on December 18, 2007, 03:27:44 am
I totally missed that until I saw AlohaDawg's post. Sweet mercy Jesus, I almost shat myself.

On the chocolate front, I will eat almost anything chocolate, but I may have just met my match in the form of the Double Chocolate Cake at the Holiday Inn, Philadelphia Airport. That cake wasn't rich... it was Bill Gates. It was Sam Walton. It was the baby of Bill Gates and Sam Walton, only in chocolate cake form. It's either going to keep me awake tonight and for the next two weeks, or my body will just reject it outright and I'll be hunched over the toilet in a minute.

I LOVE chocolate stuff, but damn.

D'jever think it's not the overabundance of chocolate, but maybe somebody gave you the stinkpalm?
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: linnea on December 18, 2007, 04:35:49 am
D'jever think it's not the overabundance of chocolate, but maybe somebody gave you the stinkpalm?

Hahahaha....I'm sorry, but Mr. Haus has dysentery.

Every time I glance at the title of this thread, I think it reads "Jesus Soda Holiday Flavors". I've no idea why.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 18, 2007, 07:15:43 pm
CUNT-Lime is good.

The WHO and the WHAT now?!?
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: CortJstr on December 18, 2007, 07:22:17 pm
The WHO and the WHAT now?!?

Dammit, I got caught by one of the random filters. Let's try it again: CUNT-lime.

Straw berry - lime
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 18, 2007, 07:27:04 pm
Alllllllllllrighty then.

Back in like middle school, when Slice with Ten Percent Real Juice was on the market, we used to joke that there was a particular flavor of Slice they should come out with.  Thought you were going for that, there.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2008, 05:36:13 am
Sorry for the bump, but didn't anyone try the  Seahawk flavors? (https://ssl.jonessodastore.com/seahawkspack/code/) Mmmmm - delicious perspiration.

Also, I think the Jesus soda mixup might be caused by the timeless Jesus Jones.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: smick on January 04, 2008, 05:43:21 pm
I might be in a minority, but I don't want Hasslebeck's cream in my mouth.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 04, 2008, 05:55:01 pm
It's okay, it just means that you ain't no Hasselback girl, you ain't no Hasselback girl.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: V-Adore on January 04, 2008, 08:28:28 pm
Can'd, damn you.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Golfhaus on January 05, 2008, 12:51:45 am
It's okay, it just means that you ain't no Hasselback girl, you ain't no Hasselback girl.

Agreed... I almost felt dirty giving you that can, but we all do things we're not totally proud of.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: jaydub on January 05, 2008, 01:00:19 am
It's okay, it just means that you ain't no Hasselback girl, you ain't no Hasselback girl.

(http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:c96e2Psns4mkqM:http://www.vinsdad.com/uploaded_images/hasselbeck-701967.jpg)
Excuse me?
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 05, 2008, 06:54:07 am
Agreed... I almost felt dirty giving you that can, but we all do things we're not totally proud of.

You people don't seem to understand that if you keep giving him the cans, he'll keep doing things like that. He is the Pavlov's dog of TOUAMB in that regard, if the dog continually bit me on the leg every time I looked here.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: melack on January 05, 2008, 07:14:23 pm
Playoffs today! As perhaps this board's only Seahawks fan, I am contractually obligated make a joke about how the Redskins are going to be the one with Matt Hasselbeck's cream in their mouths.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 05, 2008, 09:02:51 pm
Go Redskins!
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: smick on January 05, 2008, 09:11:48 pm
Playoffs today! As perhaps this board's only Seahawks fan, I am contractually obligated make a joke about how the Redskins are going to be the one with Matt Hasselbeck's cream in their mouths.

I have the tiniest of leanings towards the Seahawks*... The last year they did spring training in Cheney WA, I took the day off of work and watched them practice.

* - Foots balling in General, but I grew up in WA, so the Hawks are unavoidable.   I have, however, recently learned how pretty Hockey and Football are in HD.  I imagine baseball to be very much the same, only nothing happens in amazing definition and clarity.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: melack on January 05, 2008, 09:24:19 pm
But would you consider yourself enough of a 'hawks fan to make an off-color semen joke?

Err, I guess you already did -- independent of your fandom.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: jay-ell on January 05, 2008, 09:26:07 pm
Take it outside, boys. 
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Golfhaus on January 06, 2008, 01:29:01 am
So I took a sip of the Candy Cane Jones Soda I got for Mrs. Haus for Christmas, and it pretty much lines up with every other flavor of Jones Soda I've had so far - liked the one sip of it, but there's no way I could drink a bottle of it.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2008, 06:51:33 am
Wrong spot for this, but I'm nervous about Jacksonville.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2008, 06:12:56 pm
yeah, jones soda is one of the things I don't like very much any more since I stopped loving things which are too sugary. It's like my body says "whoa, dude, the sugar? no way. you don't want any dessert. you want a sandwich, or some pasta. Eat another meal, man."
It is probably the one slightly healthy impulse I have, so, I just go with it.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 06, 2008, 06:40:25 pm
Overeating isn't a healthy impulse. Just go for some fruit or something.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2008, 06:43:36 pm
no, if I include that, I'm eating 3 meals a day. Normally I eat lunch, dinner, and late-night-meal. I am going to try to eat breakfast more regularly this semester, but I don't know if that will happen.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2008, 06:46:56 pm
My advice to you, young man, is to drink more water.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Death Ray on January 07, 2008, 11:57:58 pm
I was treated to two packages of the "dessert" themed flavors this Christmas. Jones is definitely not the Jelly Belly of sody pop that they think they are. Of the four varieties--Apple Pie, Cherry Pie, Blueberry Pie and Lemon Meringue--only Apple Pie seems to contain the appropriate cinnamon-caramel notes. Lemon Meringue starts weak but makes a workman-like effort on the back-swig. Cherry tastes like cherry gramma candy. Blueberry tastes like food coloring.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2008, 01:48:36 am
Nabu-- don't think I'm not aware of the communists (and women) trying to steal my precious bodily fluids just because I'm young. I have been properly educated by my high school Health class.

as I'm sure you are aware, I assiduously avoid any situation in which a young lady might attempt to drain any fluids from me. And believe me, plenty have tried.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 09, 2008, 01:09:05 am
Nabu-- don't think I'm not aware of the communists (and women) trying to steal my precious bodily fluids just because I'm young. I have been properly educated by my high school Health class.

as I'm sure you are aware, I assiduously avoid any situation in which a young lady might attempt to drain any fluids from me. And believe me, plenty have tried.

I notice you avoid the young men, too.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: theinevitable on January 09, 2008, 01:47:25 am
well, i haven't really been in any situations where young men were attempting to drain my fluids.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: side_show on January 09, 2008, 04:52:40 am
Well, I'm sure if you took your mind away from your favorite bodily fluid for a moment you can think of times when other young men sought to get you so drunk that you puked - and really getting drunk and vomitting is a far more effective way to drain fluids from a young man... and also a good way to trick a young man into relinquishing any other bodily fluid you may want too.  Which reminds me... to bring things slightly back on topic, the SO was so disgusted by his roomates piggish nature and tendency to take anything he put in the fridge that he confessed he wanted to jerk off into a bottle of  Liz Blizz (http://www.sobebev.com/product_info/lizardline_lizblizz.shtml) and leave it in the fridge for one of them to drink.  If you've ever had one of those drinks, you gotta know that no one would have a clue.  He says he doesn't remember this at all, but I remember him mentioning this to me when I was drinking one, and it turned me off to them for life.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: smick on January 09, 2008, 05:33:47 am
The last time I drank a LizBlizz was right after I saw Brain Candy.

I was young, and thought repetition was much funnier than it really is.   I don't know how many times I said "The drink is made from Lizard cum."
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 09, 2008, 06:12:56 am
The last time I drank a LizBlizz was right after I saw Brain Candy.

I was young, and thought repetition was much funnier than it really is.   I don't know how many times I said "The drink is made from Lizard cum."

Thus draining the lizard . . . of its vital fluids.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2008, 01:54:10 pm
Thus draining the lizard . . . of its vital fluids.

This whole discussion has made me want to watch Dr. Strangelove again.
Title: Re: Jones Soda Holiday Flavors
Post by: Nabubrush on January 09, 2008, 04:35:00 pm
Well, I'm sure if you took your mind away from your favorite bodily fluid for a moment you can think of times when other young men sought to get you so drunk that you puked - and really getting drunk and vomitting is a far more effective way to drain fluids from a young man... and also a good way to trick a young man into relinquishing any other bodily fluid you may want too.  Which reminds me... to bring things slightly back on topic, the SO was so disgusted by his roomates piggish nature and tendency to take anything he put in the fridge that he confessed he wanted to jerk off into a bottle of  Liz Blizz (http://www.sobebev.com/product_info/lizardline_lizblizz.shtml) and leave it in the fridge for one of them to drink.  If you've ever had one of those drinks, you gotta know that no one would have a clue.  He says he doesn't remember this at all, but I remember him mentioning this to me when I was drinking one, and it turned me off to them for life.

That poor bastard.