The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on December 17, 2007, 02:59:29 pm

Title: A dude has arrived
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2007, 02:59:29 pm
It appears that Achewood is officially mainstream. (http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/top10/article/0,30583,1686204_1686244_1692006,00.html)  Does that mean we have to start hating it now?
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2007, 03:11:23 pm
I liked it before it was cool
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: jay-ell on December 17, 2007, 06:11:32 pm
Man.  There goes my indie cred. 

Oh, wait!  I forgot.  I never had any! 
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2007, 06:21:31 pm
I reckon that once you start accumulating rogue message boards, you're officially "arrived" and Time Magazine is more a confirmation of it than an actual next-step-up.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2007, 07:30:51 pm
Does anyone know if this was in the print edition or just on the website?  We don't have to worry about being totally boringly mainstream unless it was in print, right?
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 17, 2007, 07:51:32 pm
Looking at the other top 10 lists on that site, it seems online only.  My dad gets both Newsweek and Time, I think, so I can find out in a couple days if no answer by then.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2007, 08:30:36 pm
I was really surprised to see Erfworld in there. Hopefully this will prod them into updating on a more regular schedule
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2007, 08:58:00 pm
I checked yesterday-- it wasn't in the print edition. My dad thought i was a fool, because I said "oh! the new Time!" and then grabbed it, flipped through it too fast to read anything, and then put it down disappointedly.

I have never heard of any of the other things in the top 10, I believe. I had also not heard any of the "songs of the year."
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2007, 09:09:48 pm
I think Erfworld is definitely worth a look. It felt like it started kind of slow but maybe that's just because I was reading the pages 2 a week as they were being put up instead of straight through.

I still haven't actually heard anything from LCD Soundsystem's latest album although I keep hearing how great it is. But I bought their last album due to glowing reviews and only kind of like two songs.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2007, 09:22:54 pm
It is weird to me that I have not heard the "Songs of the Year," considering I am in charge of New Music at a radio station.
Lately I feel like I am pretty bad at my job. The other Music Director reviewed almost 100 CDs this semester.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2007, 09:25:54 pm
I checked yesterday-- it wasn't in the print edition.

What a relief!
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2007, 09:35:20 pm
I know! Pretty soon TOUAMB would have been swamped by a ton of little teenage shits who were into prescriptive grammar and celebreality TV.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 17, 2007, 09:58:38 pm
I know! Pretty soon TOUAMB would have been swamped by a ton of little teenage shits who were into prescriptive grammar and celebreality TV.

Oh man, I hate on some snot-nosed punks who don't realize that a preposition is a perfectly fine type of word to end a sentence with.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2007, 10:29:08 pm
Victoria does not have nearly enough tiny cans of Dr Pepper, don't you agree?
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: V-Adore on December 17, 2007, 10:46:24 pm
Not nearly enough.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 17, 2007, 11:32:33 pm
Five cans for a hoary old joke about grammar? Really?

There are many things about this forum I do not understand.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2007, 11:44:25 pm
I do believe that it was all about the timing, Ms. Waterfield.

Sometimes the right joke... even an old one... in the right place can blast the bad stuff all away to rags and atoms.

I know that there's been a lot of bummed-out vibes going around this place lately, myself more than included.

And then...  a really good if old joke comes out of nowhere.

And things are suddenly just a little bit better.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: theinevitable on December 18, 2007, 12:09:21 am
Quote
Oh man, I hate on some snot-nosed punks who don't realize that a preposition is a perfectly fine type of word to end a sentence with.

wait, is that a hoary old joke? what is the joke?

I feel like... if I had tried to say this, it would have been

Quote
Oh man, I hate on some snot-nosed punks who don't realize that a preposition is a perfectly fine type of word with which to end a sentence.

and it would not have been on purpose. My conversion to descriptivist is recent, you see, and I am still not used to these new ways.
Or, maybe, I would have noticed, and changed it to end with With, and felt fake.
Title: Re: A dude has arrived
Post by: linnea on December 18, 2007, 04:47:59 am
Keep reminding me why I'm your not-creepy-at-all internet admirerer professional giraffe lady.

Can'd to you and Vick.