The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: colmore on January 09, 2008, 06:04:13 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01092008)
I've never felt so validated.
-
So, how big do you think Onstad's bald spot is?
-
So, how big do you think Onstad's bald spot is?
Hopefully it gets better if he is going to be pumping out strips like this. I haven't been posting about strips unless it is worth it for a while, and oh god this was worth it.
-
Big enough where he doesn't like photos of himself in public and yet can't lower himself to the hipster-conceit of ironically ballcapping it.
My dad only recently started balding, in his late forties, unlike his brothers who were balding in their mid twenties. Dad never wears ballcaps, my uncles did and do all the time.
This has kept my opinion on ballcaps largely as Will Smith's opinions on cigars:
"It's just for looks, I don't light it".
-
We've been over this.
Asherdan will disagree.
-
The strip is excellent, and that is exactly what Johnny Cash is for.
-
This is another strip that gets way more surreal if you consider the fact that the characters are cats.
... I was about to type "when's the last time you saw a cat with a bald spot?", and then I remembered that our kitten (actually in that awkward stage between kitten and cat -- I think of him as a "smallcat") has more-or-less bald runners along his temples. Poor Saburo will surely start monk dimin' soon.
-
As long as he doesn't get an unfortunate hair pattern like Pat he should be fine.
I would wear a ball cap to cover mine but I look dumb in hats and I can't find a hat that has something on it that I would actually care about. Plus they remind me of college seeing guys frantically rubbing their new hats against the sidewalk so they wouldn't look (gasp) new.
-
.... I was about to type "when's the last time you saw a cat with a bald spot?", and then I remembered that our kitten (actually in that awkward stage between kitten and cat -- I think of him as a "smallcat") has more-or-less bald runners along his temples.
Some of our cats have had these and they never get any bigger, so they're not really the like bald spots at issue. The surrealness of their being cats remains.
-
Beef's small font and lack of punctuation conspired to make me unsure at first whether he was saying "that must have been a raw while, man" or "that must have been a raw white man". I decided the former made more sense.
-
Big enough where he doesn't like photos of himself in public and yet can't lower himself to the hipster-conceit of ironically ballcapping it.
Is it not possible to wear a ballcap in a non-ironic way?
I frequently rock a Detroit Tigers cap (because the Olde Tyme "D" logo is the best one in baseball) and I've never thought of it as a gag. But then, I'm not seriously balding like one guy I used to work with who wears a trucker-style mesh hat that says "Who gives a shit?" beneath a picture of a guy in a hammock.
I have some thinning, and my hairline has retreated an inch or so from its collegiate prime. I do not feel the need to conceal it with purposeful haircuts or distracting headwear. Were I to wear a hipster-conceit cap, it would be a fez or a giraffeing hat like Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond.
-
yeah, um, when I wore a Red Sox baseball cap around before the world series, it was because I like the Red Sox because my dad has worshipped them since he was a child, and this has penetrated even my not-understanding-sports brain.
-
As I've noted elsewhere, I'm somewhat known for my hat-wearing (to the point where, when I'm not wearing it outside, people ask me where it is). This has the side effect of hiding my quarter-sized patch of thinning apex, but my primary reason for wearing hats is to keep the sun off my skin, which was heavily irradiated during the 70's. I'd get a blistering burn, get to the peeling point, and burn it again. I suspect my 50's will be an unending series of minor outpatient procedures.
Also rain - but since I live in Cali, not so much.
-
I wear a beret without irony. I mean, I'm Jewish so it's a hat or a yarmulke, and a beret is comfortable, practical, stays on well and looks pretty decent on me.
-
The SO recently asked me if he should start using Rogaine. I was like "I don't know. You should if you want to, I guess. It is not something I know anything about." Most of the men on both sides of his family are bald you see. They're all attractively bald though - none of that terrible comb-over stuff going on - so I'm not particularly worried about it. Besides I'd love the guy even if he grew a big, weeping growth on his eye. I know a guy who is the unattractive kind of bald - where you're left with random tufts that still grow in the middle of otherwise bald areas - and he mostly wears hats. I always wonder what keeps someone in that situation from just keeping a nicely shaved head. I know a few guys who shave it all, and it looks great, but I suppose there's some sort of need to hold on to whatever you've got. It must be traumatic to bald, even if the progression is fairly slow. Thankfully ladies mostly don't have to deal with that. I lost a bunch of hair due to illness in my teens - I didn't get bald patches or anything, just an overall general thinning. My hair never really recovered.
V - all I could think about when reading the strip is that they're cats - it was very distracting for me.
-
I wear a beret without irony. I mean, I'm Jewish so it's a hat or a yarmulke, and a beret is comfortable, practical, stays on well and looks pretty decent on me.
Why did I have the impression you were of Chinese descent?
-
Propecia man!
I was sitting in my dermatologist's examining room and I noticed a poster on the wall about Propeica. Since I was thinning I was going to ask the Doctor about it but he walked in and I focused on his bald spot on the back of his head and his raised hairline and blew it off. Repeat the next year. The second year I had thinned enough to ask him about Propecia. "Its great! It won't regrow hair but it will stop further balding in its tracks." he replied. Bastard should have posted a supplementental notice under the Propecia poster that said, "Warning: do not let the partially bald doctor dissuade you from asking about this product." I suffered two years of further hair loss but it has stopped since I began using it. I live iin a thinned state which beats the hell out of balding.
The medication is expensive but this way I don't have to be tempted to degrade myself with a comb-over.
-
If I were a guy and were balding, I'd shave it.
"Easy for you to say," is of course the response.
But then, I don't plan to cover my gray either, which I think is the general female response to the analogous hair-and-aging issue.
So there.
-
But then, I don't plan to cover my gray either, which I think is the general female response to the analogous hair-and-aging issue.
My mother-in-law said the same thing. Only she gets it "highlighted" now. Its not the same thing! Its not!
My mother, on the other hand, told me that she wants to go to her grave with her hair red, and her lipstick line even.
-
My hair is drastically thinning on top (and I'm only 23! What the fuck?), but I usually keep my hair cut pretty short anyway, so when it gets too bad I'll just shave my remaining hair back to a #1 or #2. Screw spending ridiculous amounts of money on hair transplants or drugs.
-
Why did I have the impression you were of Chinese descent?
I have no idea. Perhaps some weird subconscious stretch involving his Japanesey screenname?
-
Propecia is interesting to me because of two facts:
1) I was struck as an adolescent, when it was first released, by the absolute emphasis on how no pregnant or possibly-pregnant or non-menopausal woman should ever take or come within 50 feet of Propecia.
2) I learned the reason for this -- that Propecia has teratogenic properties and will feminize a male fetus -- during my independent research project my senior year of college, where I was injecting the active ingredient in Propecia into rats and thus spent a fair amount of time handling it and making solutions of it.
Boy, I hope that teratogenizing effect doesn't linger too long.
-
So you spent your senior year of college creating hermaphro-mice?
-
Propecia has teratogenic properties and will feminize a male fetus
So being female is counted as a birth defect now?
-
So being female is counted as a birth defect now?
In China, it is.
-
Sometimes it just takes awhile for science to validate what we've known to be the case all along.
-
So being female is counted as a birth defect now?
The problem is, IIRC, not that a male fetus will become female; it is that a male fetus will have Problems and presumably be born intersexed or otherwise Questionable.
-
As an aside, I just had to google what "IIRC" meant.
The internet is generating abbreviations faster than I can learn them, I must be getting old.
-
The problem is, IIRC, not that a male fetus will become female; it is that a male fetus will have Problems and presumably be born intersexed or otherwise Questionable.
Hmmm... (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002)
-
As was once said famously in the cinematic classic, Major League...
"It's startin' to come together, Lou, it's startin' to come together."
-
I would wear a ball cap to cover mine but I look dumb in hats and I can't find a hat that has something on it that I would actually care about.
:o The offical Achewood cap maybe?
-
Hats are awesome and I await the day they start selling large floppy hats with dead animals, ribbons, and wax fruit lavishly piled around the brim.
-
Why did I have the impression you were of Chinese descent?
I dunno, really. I can think of three possible reasons.
1: The vaguely Japaneseish screen name, as smets suggests; this is actually short for "Ben-San Arizona" and has less to do with Japan and more to do with having been really, really into cult sci-fi films when I first hit the Internet.
2: I have for whatever reason a pronounced epicanthic fold and generally more-beige-than-pink skin tone, which are both kind of enhanced by the "missing person last known photo" shenanigans I performed on the one picture of me I've posted here.
3: The Chinese and the Ashkenazic Jews both have serious multigenerational parental issues that derive from being patriarchal poor-as-shit rural cultures with extraordinarily rigid structures of law and tradition which simultaneously venerate advanced education while not traditionally having the time or money to pursue it as much as they think they should, which are then massively disrupted by a sweepingly transformative social event that attempted to destroy their society as it had previously existed (The Great Leap Forward and the Holocaust respectively).
-
I dunno, really. I can think of three possible reasons.
1: The vaguely Japaneseish screen name, as smets suggests; this is actually short for "Ben-San Arizona" and has less to do with Japan and more to do with having been really, really into cult sci-fi films when I first hit the Internet.
2: I have for whatever reason a pronounced epicanthic fold and generally more-beige-than-pink skin tone, which are both kind of enhanced by the "missing person last known photo" shenanigans I performed on the one picture of me I've posted here.
3: The Chinese and the Ashkenazic Jews both have serious multigenerational parental issues that derive from being patriarchal poor-as-shit rural cultures with extraordinarily rigid structures of law and tradition which simultaneously venerate advanced education while not traditionally having the time or money to pursue it as much as they think they should, which are then massively disrupted by a sweepingly transformative social event that attempted to destroy their society as it had previously existed (The Great Leap Forward and the Holocaust respectively).
IT'S ALL CHING CHONG WING WONG
-
this is actually short for "Ben-San Arizona" and has less to do with Japan and more to do with having been really, really into cult sci-fi films when I first hit the Internet.
And this is the ching chong wing wongiest part. What??
-
Hats are awesome and I await the day they start selling large floppy hats with dead animals, ribbons, and wax fruit lavishly piled around the brim.
Quoted and CAN'D for sweet, sweet truth.
-
As an aside, I just had to google what "IIRC" meant.
The internet is generating abbreviations faster than I can learn them, I must be getting old.
This one is actually pretty long in the tooth. We were using it back in USENET days during the early '90s at least.
-
This one is actually pretty long in the tooth. We were using it back in USENET days during the early '90s at least.
Yeah, I used this one as far back as Yahoo Chat during my freshman year of college.
IIRC, that is.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
I did have to look up QFT in Urban Dictionary a couple of months ago, so don't feel bad.
-
Yeah, I used this one as far back as Yahoo Chat during my freshman year of college.
IIRC, that is.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.
I did have to look up QFT in Urban Dictionary a couple of months ago, so don't feel bad.
When I saw people using GGG here I spent a few minutes wondering what German Goo Girls had to do with the current topic.
-
And this is the ching chong wing wongiest part. What??
The basic form: The film Dark Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_%28film%29) was more or less John Carpenter's student project reworked into a feature-length film. One recurring soundtrack element is a space country-western/trucker song named "Benson, Arizona". The town of Benson, AZ, as a result, plays host to annual Dark Star fan meetups. I've never been there (I'm not enough of a fan of the film to travel to Arizona over it), but when I was trying to think of something that sounded like a name and also conveyed being a gigantic dork over cult sci-fi films "Ben-San Arizona" came to mind.
Nowadays I mostly use "Ben-San" and people assume it's because I'm a dork over Japanese culture. Which is admittedly also true but not the point of origin.
-
That looks like a good movie. I'd never heard of it.
Being a dork about Japanese language, I wonder if it would be OK to use Ben-San as a screen name in Japanese when you never refer to yourself with the prefix -san. But I guess you can do whatever you want with screen names. No one would think twice about Mr. Ben as a screen name even though you'd never introduce yourself as Mr. Ben.
-
I think I'd have just gone with "Benson" and used a picture of Robert Guillaume as an avatar.
And it took me about a month to figure out what FTW was.
-
Me too and... even then... "Fuck Tiger Woods!"?
What'd Tiger Woods ever do to you?
-
Me too and... even then... "Fuck Tiger Woods!"?
What'd Tiger Woods ever do to you?
For a while I could only think of Fuck The World. But for that I blame Taz.
-
I... I still read it as Fuck The World. As in "this is so awesome that it's like a middle finger to the whole world."
-
I third the initial thought that it stood for Fuck The World - that's probably why it took me a month to realize it didn't.
-
I always thought it was "Fuck The What (?)" I do not know why.
-
It took me months to figure out that <3 was meant to be a heart and not... other parts. But it made decrypting conversations very interesting.
Also, I'm noticeably thinning, but I'm only going to start shaving stuff up there if I get the isthmus/dots/patches effect. I'm cool with just having hair on the sides of my head.
I surprised myself by being upset by the first gray hair in my goatee, though. I'm still not sure why it bugs me but gray hair on my head doesn't.
-
I've always liked to pretend that I mistake "<3" for a two-scoop ice cream cone on the side instead of a heart or what-not.