Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner  (Read 9875 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 10:55:56 pm »

I wear a beret without irony. I mean, I'm Jewish so it's a hat or a yarmulke, and a beret is comfortable, practical, stays on well and looks pretty decent on me.
Why did I have the impression you were of Chinese descent?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Popegeorgeringo

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 11:33:27 pm »

Propecia man!

I was sitting in my dermatologist's examining room and I noticed a poster on the wall about Propeica.  Since I was thinning I was going to ask the Doctor about it but he walked in and I focused on his bald spot on the back of his head and his raised hairline and blew it off.  Repeat the next year.  The second year I had thinned enough to ask him about Propecia.  "Its great!  It won't regrow hair but it will stop further balding in its tracks." he replied.   Bastard should have posted a supplementental notice under the Propecia poster that said, "Warning:  do not let the partially bald doctor dissuade you from asking about this product."  I suffered two years of further hair loss but it has stopped since I began using it.  I live iin a thinned state which beats the hell out of balding. 

The medication is expensive but this way I don't have to be tempted to degrade myself with a comb-over. 
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:54 pm »

If I were a guy and were balding, I'd shave it. 

"Easy for you to say," is of course the response. 

But then, I don't plan to cover my gray either, which I think is the general female response to the analogous hair-and-aging issue. 

So there. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 12:20:18 am »

But then, I don't plan to cover my gray either, which I think is the general female response to the analogous hair-and-aging issue. 
My mother-in-law said the same thing.  Only she gets it "highlighted" now.  Its not the same thing!  Its not!

My mother, on the other hand, told me that she wants to go to her grave with her hair red, and her lipstick line even.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 12:34:13 am »

My hair is drastically thinning on top (and I'm only 23!  What the fuck?), but I usually keep my hair cut pretty short anyway, so when it gets too bad I'll just shave my remaining hair back to a #1 or #2.  Screw spending ridiculous amounts of money on hair transplants or drugs.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 01:02:10 am »

Quote from: jaydub
Why did I have the impression you were of Chinese descent?

I have no idea. Perhaps some weird subconscious stretch involving his Japanesey screenname?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 02:48:16 am »

Propecia is interesting to me because of two facts:

1) I was struck as an adolescent, when it was first released, by the absolute emphasis on how no pregnant or possibly-pregnant or non-menopausal woman should ever take or come within 50 feet of Propecia.
2) I learned the reason for this -- that Propecia has teratogenic properties and will feminize a male fetus -- during my independent research project my senior year of college, where I was injecting the active ingredient in Propecia into rats and thus spent a fair amount of time handling it and making solutions of it.

Boy, I hope that teratogenizing effect doesn't linger too long.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:37 am »

So you spent your senior year of college creating hermaphro-mice?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 04:19:15 am »

Propecia has teratogenic properties and will feminize a male fetus

So being female is counted as a birth defect now?
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

Dullscythe

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • :(
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 07:26:02 am »

So being female is counted as a birth defect now?

In China, it is.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 07:28:24 am »

Sometimes it just takes awhile for science to validate what we've known to be the case all along.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 08:52:29 am »

So being female is counted as a birth defect now?

The problem is, IIRC, not that a male fetus will become female; it is that a male fetus will have Problems and presumably be born intersexed or otherwise Questionable.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 09:06:25 am »

As an aside, I just had to google what "IIRC" meant.

The internet is generating abbreviations faster than I can learn them, I must be getting old.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:05 am »

The problem is, IIRC, not that a male fetus will become female; it is that a male fetus will have Problems and presumably be born intersexed or otherwise Questionable.

Hmmm...
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 9th 2008 - three swatches and poppin' a boner
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 12:36:17 pm »

As was once said famously in the cinematic classic, Major League...

"It's startin' to come together, Lou, it's startin' to come together."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up