The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on January 16, 2008, 01:21:44 pm
-
http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_roast_beef_kazenzaki.html#more (http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_roast_beef_kazenzaki.html#more)
"An idiosyncratic form of Ebonics"? WTF.
Maybe old media should just stick to what they do well? Especially if they're just going to have interns do the blogging?
-
http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_roast_beef_kazenzaki.html#more (http://www.npr.org/blogs/incharacter/2008/01/your_turn_roast_beef_kazenzaki.html#more)
"An idiosyncratic form of Ebonics"? WTF.
Maybe old media should just stick to what they do well? Especially if they're just going to have interns do the blogging?
Yeah, I don't know where the fuck she got that. It's weird to have so much publicity for Achewood, but I think it's good because I want Onstad to continue to make a decent living at it because he's producing my favorite thing ever FOR FREE. And forget the jackass who said that it jumped the shark and that it's mainstream.
-
I think she was talking about how Beef says "dogg." Which is kind of ebonics-y.
-
Yeah, somebody needs to look up "jumped the shark" in urbandictionary. I mean, seriously -- do people even know what that means any more?
-
I think she was talking about how Beef says "dogg." Which is kind of ebonics-y.
Jeez, one vocabulary item does not a whole dialect make.
Especially when Beef's speech patterns are of course idiosyncratic in his own special idiosyncratic way. It's so much missing the point.
-
I care more about the picture that was up. It's not really representative of him at all. Plus I think it would color a potential reader's perception of the comic in the wrong way.
-
I suppose that if you don't know someone who speaks with Beef's diction, it's kind of hard to come up with a descriptive term for his manner of speech.
"Ebonics" completely misses the point but, at the same time, what easily wrapped up term wouldn't?
"...e.e. cummings if he was kinda... trailer-trash with low-self-esteem but... also kinda not?"
I think this is more the overall failings of short-form journalism than the particular writer.
-
I think this is more the overall failings of short-form journalism than the particular writer.
I'm not sure I'd dignify an intern's blog with the term journalism but either way, shortness is no excuse for lousy writing.
-
Yea, she missed the mark on this one. I think maybe it was sort of like "I need to write something for the intern blog, uhhh, achewood, I like achewood!"
-
Okay, fair enough... intern's blog is an intern's blog.
But how does one describe Beef's idiosincratic phrasology in a short turn of phrase?
I'm blanking.
-
Other than Beef-Speak?
-
I care more about the picture that was up. It's not really representative of him at all. Plus I think it would color a potential reader's perception of the comic in the wrong way.
Exactly. QFT.
-
Okay, fair enough... intern's blog is an intern's blog.
But how does one describe Beef's idiosincratic phrasology in a short turn of phrase?
I'm blanking.
"An idiosyncratic and yet utterly comprehensible dialect - one which is, in what it doesn't say and how it doesn't say it, often more communicative than Standard English, blending unique and yet utterly unmistakable marks of higher education and lower upbringing."
That's some Intern Blog quality writing right there. A little longer but not too long for Intern Blog.
-
Do you get paid to write stuff like that? Because you should.
-
Yeah. Damn, I wish I needed to hire an intern to blog for me.
-
"a higher education and lower upbringing."
Putting it that way makes it sound like he talks in the exact reverse of GWB.
Which... actually is exactly how Beef talks.
CAN'INATED.
-
Maybe she's confusing Beef with Little Nephew.
-
I almost asked who GWB was, then I realized. Thanks for bringing me down, LFM.
-
I found out yesterday that the word "Ebonics" was coined by a prof at my school in the early 70's. He is not well-liked.
He also attempted to "even the score" on culturally biased tests by making a test (the B.I.T.C.H. test, I forget what it stands for) that white students would lack the cultural context to pass.